Tyler Johnson released by Buccaneers

The handwriting was on the wall all offseason. He appeared lost at times on the field last year.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't latch on with someone else this week

Very crowded WR room in Tampa with Evans, Godwin, Julio Jones, Russell Gage all on the roster.

Julio Jones is a backup in Tampa for perspective. TJ should catch on elsewhere. Minnesota probably isn't a good spot either. Maybe Chicago, Green Bay (ewww) or somewhere else with less experienced WRs.

Very crowded WR room in Tampa with Evans, Godwin, Julio Jones, Russell Gage all on the roster.

Julio Jones is a backup in Tampa for perspective. TJ should catch on elsewhere. Minnesota probably isn't a good spot either. Maybe Chicago, Green Bay (ewww) or somewhere else with less experienced WRs.
GB? Oh no, hadnt thought of that.

Unfortunately his regression last season seemed to matter more than his play this preseason. I'm sure he'll get picked up by someone, but I doubt it will be by the Vikings.

I believe he will get picked up by another team, that room was just too full! Maybe he can go to Ravens and play with Rashod again!!
That would be interesting...

Yeah not shocking with all the WR depth they have but still disappointing given the positive reports that seemed to be coming from camp.

Hopefully he can catch on with someone else. He is at that make or break time for his NFL career so he needs to find a new home and find a way to make a mark if he wants to stay in the league.

According to Tampa Bay Times it was lack of special teams role that did him in. As others noted there's plenty of talent in the WR room. To be at the bottom of the skill pecking order required special teams play too. He must have missed that memo...

He'll land somewhere...

According to Tampa Bay Times it was lack of special teams role that did him in. As others noted there's plenty of talent in the WR room. To be at the bottom of the skill pecking order required special teams play too. He must have missed that memo...

He'll land somewhere...

As a Bucs fan I was jazzed about the Julio Jones signing a month ago but then realized that was turbo bearish for TJ.

To me, he needs a fresh start where he can get more reps. Lots of teams in need of WR help, especially once injuries start happening. He may even end up back on the Bucs.

Aaron Rodgers is notably hard on young WRs, but I don't Brady is too far behind. Inability to play STs obviously hurt Johnson's chances in Tampa Bay. Here's hoping he can catch on somewhere else.

Will TJ get a payout or buy out from his rookie contract or do y’all think he’s ain’t got none of that?

Sure wish all those balls TJ caught in the preseason were thrown by Brady. I have never thought that Brady had a lot of confidence in Johnson and sent for a second think that Brady didnt have a say on who his WR’s would be.

I would think Houston,Chicago, Green Bay, Jacksonville, New York Jets, New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, even Pittsburgh Steelers, all could use a Slot guy with good hands. With Injury's there should be open opportunities as salary caps sort out. Suppose it all depends on if teams have any open spots, even the practice squad.

Sure wish all those balls TJ caught in the preseason were thrown by Brady. I have never thought that Brady had a lot of confidence in Johnson and sent for a second think that Brady didnt have a say on who his WR’s would be.
I agree. Never TB QB's guy.

This. He will catch on somewhere and perhaps in a better situation

As a Bucs fan I was jazzed about the Julio Jones signing a month ago but then realized that was turbo bearish for TJ.

To me, he needs a fresh start where he can get more reps. Lots of teams in need of WR help, especially once injuries start happening. He may even end up back on the Bucs.
He was gone as soon as they signed Gage. Was a formality from that point on.

This. He will catch on somewhere and perhaps in a better situation

Hard not to latch onto a better situation. He had two pro-bowl receivers there when he was drafted....just for TB to bring in Brown. They've consistently been bringing in new toys for Brady.

No public acknowledgment yet from TJ.

Probably pissed, irritated, bummed, concerned, and bunch of other mixed emotions. Never a good feeling when people don’t want or pick you or get fired.

We’ll probably get a tweet soon along the lines of

“God’s plan” or “I’ll keep working”

Some team will get A LOT of receiver for cheap because now TJ will feel “he need to prove something” and work his ass off.

If he doesn’t shine with his second NFL team, his NFL career will be done I’m afraid.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the "Now that he got cut, he will try extra-hard" narrative. Bummed about this and I do hope he catches on somewhere else soon. But, if he has as good of a chance catching on elsewhere as most here are claiming, wouldn't that happen rather quickly? By now?

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the "Now that he got cut, he will try extra-hard" narrative.
I don't either. I think it's something that gets said about a player after things work out, if they work out. Like, if TJ goes on and has success somewhere, some reporter will create a story about how TJ worked extra hard to "prove himself" and then TJ will throw in a few quotes, etc.

He should have a few hundred grand in cash in the bank, if not half a mil, and he's got a super bowl ring. Not too shabby.

Top Bottom