Tyler Johnson released by Buccaneers

I’m not big on wearing player jerseys as I think our celebrity worship culture is unhealthy. However, I made the exception and bought Tylers’s Bucs jersey after the Super Bowl win. I appreciate how Tyler has represented Minnesota and specifically North Minneapolis. He is gifted but he had to put in the work to reach the top. I love how he came back for his senior year and had a huge year (blows my mind - Gophers had two all B1G first team receivers). Everything from here is a bonus on top of an honorable football career already. I’ll continue to wear Tyler’s jersey. I’d probably buy a new jersey if it was the Vikings.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the "Now that he got cut, he will try extra-hard" narrative. Bummed about this and I do hope he catches on somewhere else soon. But, if he has as good of a chance catching on elsewhere as most here are claiming, wouldn't that happen rather quickly? By now?
He is part of the waiver wire. I believe teams have until noon to today to make a claim.

He was gone as soon as they signed Gage. Was a formality from that point on.
The moves that the Bucs made at the WR position ever since TJ was on the roster never screamed to me that they had much confidence in him. Signing Julio wasn't the first one that signaled that they just weren't all-in on TJ.

Will TJ get a payout or buy out from his rookie contract or do y’all think he’s ain’t got none of that?
NFL contracts are generally not guaranteed, so he gets to keep what he's been paid thus far, including bonuses, but doesn't have any right to ongoing salary.

I would like to see him latch on to a team that would give him a chance.

Sure wish all those balls TJ caught in the preseason were thrown by Brady. I have never thought that Brady had a lot of confidence in Johnson and sent for a second think that Brady didnt have a say on who his WR’s would be.
He has too many drops of very catchable balls. Remember Iowa? That’s who he is.

You both can be right. I'll say this though, the NFL has a lot of guys who can make Tyler's catches, but the NFL doesn't have many that duplicate his drops.

My debate was more about how TJs Gopher career would be remembered.

My debate was more about how TJs Gopher career would be remembered.
I remember him as a great Gophers player . Drops are an issue He can make some spectacular catches. Always been a fan back to when he played hoops at North.

Glad he got picked up, was hoping it would be with the Vikes. I think he could be a pretty good WR in the right situation.

2021 - 40 “Catchable” targets, 55 total targets, 4 “drops”
So on a good year he's only dropping 10%?

I don't know if that's a number teams are supposed to be excited about or not?

Here's hoping he clicks with the Texans, regardless of what has happened up to this point! Go get 'em, TJ!!! He's got a great opportunity, that's all you can ask for

I don't think Brady and TJ are on the same wavelengths. Under the right QB, he should flourish. Good luck to him with the Texans!

So on a good year he's only dropping 10%?

I don't know if that's a number teams are supposed to be excited about or not?

Here's hoping he clicks with the Texans, regardless of what has happened up to this point! Go get 'em, TJ!!! He's got a great opportunity, that's all you can ask for
About in line with Diontae Johnson, Pitt WR, but Johnson has almost 3 times the targets.

Right and that Iowa game where he missed that important catch, go back and watch all of the plays he made in that game. He had a helluva game but a key drop.
I’m a big TJ6 fan. I have a signed jersey of his in my house. Still, you are exactly right that TJ6 had way too many drops in his career here. The Iowa one stands out due to the impact on the game, but they weren’t that rare over his career. Funny that people forget that.

I’m not big on wearing player jerseys as I think our celebrity worship culture is unhealthy. However, I made the exception and bought Tylers’s Bucs jersey after the Super Bowl win. I appreciate how Tyler has represented Minnesota and specifically North Minneapolis. He is gifted but he had to put in the work to reach the top. I love how he came back for his senior year and had a huge year (blows my mind - Gophers had two all B1G first team receivers). Everything from here is a bonus on top of an honorable football career already. I’ll continue to wear Tyler’s jersey. I’d probably buy a new jersey if it was the Vikings.
Nabbed a game worn outback Tyler jersey for my youngest daughter, who plans to wear it on game days in the stands. She’s vying for the free Jersey Mikes.

I have an autographed TJ helmet on my desk. He’s a Gopher hero and one of our best ever players anyone focusing on the drops is out of touch with how good he was and how important his legacy is to the town and the program.

Top Bottom