Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

Maybe this misery will pay off. Maybe all 4 of our clubs will win the Championship in the same year.

It's not just losing, though we certainly have had that as well. It's the way they lose. The Minnesota style of losing. To build hopes up, just to dash them.

Over and over and over and over ...

The biggest component is the Vikings. I think that is just the reality of it. And it's the biggest, most important sport.

Should've went to the Super Bowl in 1998 and 2009.

It ought to be the Vikings to get us out of this.

i'm 37...i vaguely remember the 91 world series cheering with my dad in the living room as i was 6 1/2...i've already accepted the fact that that will be my only MN sports winning a championship memory...i sleep a lot better at night coming to peace with that

The biggest component is the Vikings. I think that is just the reality of it. And it's the biggest, most important sport.

Yea the Vikes are the frustrating franchise...seemingly very well run (outside of the McCombs era), a ton of HOFers, nearly always competitive and we have lost in the most excruciating of ways. And it's not THAT hard to win 2-3 playoff games. Much easier to pull a random upset or get hot at the right time...that is for everyone except us.

It's as of the sports gods gave us the Minneapolis Miracle and expected that to hold our state over for a decade or so.

Go Gophers!!

Yea the Vikes are the frustrating franchise...seemingly very well run (outside of the McCombs era), a ton of HOFers, nearly always competitive and we have lost in the most excruciating of ways. And it's not THAT hard to win 2-3 playoff games. Much easier to pull a random upset or get hot at the right time...that is for everyone except us.

It's as of the sports gods gave us the Minneapolis Miracle and expected that to hold our state over for a decade or so.

Go Gophers!!
The top three in the drought list are the Lions, Jets, and Browns. Then the Vikings as a clear fourth, and then the next after that (Dolphins I think) is the start of a clear group of 5+.

The Vikings are just nothing like the Lions, Jets, and Browns, though it does seem like the Browns might be waking up somewhat and who knows now that they get rid of Baker.

The other 2 NFC Title games the Vikings lost handily, but they were slightly favored over the Giants, and the Eagles was against their 2nd string QB.

Still, no dice.

The other 2 NFC Title games the Vikings lost handily, but they were slightly favored over the Giants, and the Eagles was against their 2nd string QB.

Still, no dice.
To our credit, that 2nd string QB also beat Tom Brady.

It's about looking forward, Bleed. Why wallow in misery looking at what could have been... especially when there have been very few times in these 100 plus seasons where a team was of championship quality. The chances of making a championship game without a championship-level team are extremely slim.

The Wild had a fun regular season but were clearly not able to compete with the Blues in the regular season or in this series. I am not going to overlook the joy that I had watching last season overall just because they failed to win this series.
I think a question is how the local teams have avoided having those teams, those rosters, of championship quality. The last legitimate contender we've had in these parts was the 2017 Vikings, which had what I'd call a good enough team to go all the way. I mean, the first article that appeared in The Athletic after the Wolves were eliminated was how difficult or impossible it's going to be to improve that roster. My first thought upon reading it was, well, how does ANY team ANYWHERE develop a championship-caliber team if it's as impossible as Jon K. made it out to be in his piece? If there's evidence of a loser mentality in this town, I'd point to that article as Exhibit A. "Why not us? THIS is why not us!" The body's not even cold, and the media is already lowering future expectations on behalf of the franchise.

Go Gophers!!
Some guy was at game 7 1991 World series and sold his soul so they would win....."I don't care if a MN team wins another championship, please let the twins win tonight." Wish granted

Some guy was at game 7 1991 World series and sold his soul so they would win....."I don't care if a MN team wins another championship, please let the twins win tonight." Wish granted
I've suspected something like this all along.

Was that guy you?
And yes, please answer the question for the jury.

Going out on a limb, this thread is going to live into 2023.

I was just thinking today we're just a few weeks away from dusting this thread off.

Go Gophers!!
This thing is really going to heat up now that the fall and winter sports are gearing up.

This is our time!! Combined seasons 116-119 will fly by!

Go Gophers!!
Being a "glass half full" type of guy, at least it's not absurd to think the Wolves have a chance to break through.

While still highly unlikely they win the West, there is at least some existence of hope, along with an expectation they make it to the post-season. The previous 15 years there was essentially ZERO chance of making it to the Finals, and made the playoffs only once before last year. Even that was as an 8th seed.

Progress!

Top Bottom