Twins/Vikings/Wild/Wolves Championship appearance drought tracker

Watched a feature on FSN tonight about the 2002 ALDS with awesome interviews with some of the players. LaTroy Hawkins with the grey beard reminded me: it's been 18 years now since that series--the last playoff series the Twins won. It's extraordinary because, in that stretch, they had multiple 90-win seasons and one 100-win season, yet they're sitting on 16 straight postseason losses.

So they win that 2002 series, and Joe Mays shuts down the Angels in game 1 of the league championship...and it's been one indignity after another since that high water mark. 18 years: nothing to be proud of, Russ.
Don't worry. I suspect this year, we'll beat the 28-32 Blue Jays in the Opening-Opening round of the 20 team play-offs. The curse will be over soon!

The Wild season coming to an end brings this illustrious streak to 107 combined seasons.

Go Gophers!!

The Wild season coming to an end brings this illustrious streak to 107 combined seasons.

Go Gophers!!
I think it's 108.

Vikings 29 {1992 Super Bowl- 2020 Super Bowl}
Wolves 29 {1992-2020)
Twins 28 {1992-2019}
Wild 20 {2001-2020}
North Stars 2 {1992-93)

Total 108

I think it's 108.

Vikings 29 {1992 Super Bowl- 2020 Super Bowl}
Wolves 29 {1992-2020)
Twins 28 {1992-2019}
Wild 20 {2001-2020}
North Stars 2 {1992-93)

Total 108
It's very possible I miscounted somewhere along the way.

With the Twins getting swept, the winless streak is now at 109.

Go Gophers!!

This thread makes me cranky.

I've tried so hard to use this streak as a lesson that sports arent important and a waste of time. But every time a MN team has a good season, i get pulled in, everytime

Which is most remarkable, the 109 combined pro seasons with no title, the 18 straight play-off losses by the Twins, or no Gopher Football conference titles in 53 years? We're full of remarkable achievements.

Which is most remarkable, the 109 combined pro seasons with no title, the 18 straight play-off losses by the Twins, or no Gopher Football conference titles in 53 years? We're full of remarkable achievements.
Don't forget Jim Marshall running the wrong way for a "touchdown".

If there are such things as curses, there are certainly things of that sort going on here.

The University of Michigan has left Minneapolis in possession of the Little Brown Jug 16 straight times.

The University of Michigan has left Minneapolis in possession of the Little Brown Jug 16 straight times.
If we hadn't won it there twice, this would be more painful. Also, in too many of those 16 times we literally had no chance.

The remarkable thing about the Twins streak is that you generally have at least a 40% chance of winning a given baseball game, no matter how unfavorable the match-up. And we were outright favored in 4 of them.

The numbers start to get increasingly bigger as we go now. If the purple get us to 110, that's up to a randomized probability of about 1 in 1200 against.

Just got notification that YouTubeTV has dropped FSN due to a contract disagreement. Couldn't have come at a better time. Twins, as usual, can't win a playoff game, the Wild won't play for awhile...and they suck, and the Timberwolves won't play for awhile and the entire organization sucks. Finally, I stopped watching the Vikings after the Denny Green take a knee NFC championship game in 98.

I am so looking forward to Gopher sports being back.

Just got notification that YouTubeTV has dropped FSN due to a contract disagreement. Couldn't have come at a better time. Twins, as usual, can't win a playoff game, the Wild won't play for awhile...and they suck, and the Timberwolves won't play for awhile and the entire organization sucks. Finally, I stopped watching the Vikings after the Denny Green take a knee NFC championship game in 98.

I am so looking forward to Gopher sports being back.
Worth noting that the last appearances of any of our teams in the semifinals of their sports have been 3, 11, 17, 18, 20 and 22 years ago. A decent number of sniffs of it but totally skunked in those attempts.

If we hadn't won it there twice, this would be more painful. Also, in too many of those 16 times we literally had no chance.

The remarkable thing about the Twins streak is that you generally have at least a 40% chance of winning a given baseball game, no matter how unfavorable the match-up. And we were outright favored in 4 of them.

Actually the Gophers have brought the Jug back from Ann Arbor 3 times since last winning in Memorial Stadium.

The numbers start to get increasingly bigger as we go now. If the purple get us to 110, that's up to a randomized probability of about 1 in 1200 against.
Is that for winning a championship or just making a championship?

Well, doesn't FSN also carry home games for the Lynx and Loons, which are pretty good? Granted, few seem to care.

Is there a city/state/sports area that has this kind of drought? I realize there are teams in one sport that have terrible droughts but the fans simply move on to the next team's season starting.

If anything comes to mind please please please share so I feel less shitty.

Is there a city/state/sports area that has this kind of drought? I realize there are teams in one sport that have terrible droughts but the fans simply move on to the next team's season starting.

How many have all four major sports? And you would think that Minnesota being a hockey state, the Wild would help us there.

Outside of Chicago, LA, and NYC ... who has all four? Off the top of my head: Dallas and Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Philly, Boston. Is that it? EDIT: Phoenix

Those all have at least one fairly recent, fairly successful franchise?

How many have all four major sports? And you would think that Minnesota being a hockey state, the Wild would help us there.

Outside of Chicago, LA, and NYC ... who has all four? Off the top of my head: Dallas and Houston, Atlanta, Detroit, Philly, Boston. Is that it? EDIT: Phoenix

Those all have at least one fairly recent, fairly successful franchise?
I'd say all of those places have had more success right? Just off the top of my head without research or hockey knowledge or checking for appearances...

Chicago - White Sox and Cubs world series, Blackhawks cup, Bulls 6 times
NYC - Yankees, Giants, Rangers cup
LA - Lakers, Kings cup?
Dallas - Cowboys (not super recent), Rangers WS losers twice I think, Stars (ouch)
Houston - Astros even with the *, Rockets in the 90s
Atlanta - Braves, Falcons SB losers
Philly - Phillies, Eagles
Boston - Tons
Phoenix - Suns lost to Bulls, Diamondbacks

Some aren't super recent as far as success but certainly more recent than us. Plus, all of these areas have a college team that has had WAY more success than the Gophers right in their backyard.

Only city I can think of right now that has a worse track record is Cinci...Reds won the world series in 1990 and the Bengals lost in the Super Bowl in 88. So about the same timeline as the MN sports franchises. They don't have other hockey or basketball in town though.

Maybe with exception of Detroit, Phx, and Boston, I think all of those markets are much larger than Mpls. And those three are probably still at least a bit larger than us.

We should really be more of a 2 or 3 pro sports town. We just happen to be a hockey state and so it makes perfect sense that we'd have an NHL team. Should probably be closer to a Pittsburgh or Cleveland, though.

The only one that would be realistic to "lose" would be the TWolves. And would losing them realistically help the other three win more? I guess I don't see how. Plus seems like fairly recent, major facility investments for all of them. Is what it is.

Cleveland and Washington were the only ones in our vicinity. Cleveland broke it with LaBron back in 2015-16 or whenever it was. Washington broke it last year. We're #1 now by a lot as far as I know.

Top Bottom