Tweets suggesting Vikes coach Leslie Frazier is interested

I like Frazier but I'd still prefer somebody with some college head coaching experience (Al Golden, Mike Leach, etc).

What parent in their right mind is going to allow their son play for a coach (Leach, Mangino, Leavitt) that has a history of mistreating players.

Recruiting will suffer significantly if any of these coaches are hired.

That is why I don't like the possibilty of hiring one of the aforementioned coaches.

I like Frazier but I'd still prefer somebody with some college head coaching experience (Al Golden, Mike Leach, etc).
He was head coach at Trinity College for nine years. It's not FBS, but it's not the CFL either.

I'd be interested in Frazier, but the timeline is a concern. Having a coach who won't be able to focus full time on the University until January (hopefully February) would cause some issues in both recruiting and building a staff. I would guess that Dubar would become the Vikings DC if Frazier were to leave.

I like Mike Leach but I really don't think he will go over well with the community. He doesn't seem to understand the playing well with others in the sandbox rules. His relationship with boosters and alumni were terrible and I think that is an important thing at the U. We need someone to build, not someone who comes in and builds a castle with a moat around it. If they did hire Leach the biggest positive would be that he would drive press people like Sid crazy. He has absolutely no patience for the media. It seemed to be a contest between him and Bobby Knight as to who could be the most abrasive. He's hilarious and his offenses were incredibly entertaining, I just don't think that is a style that fits in the Big Ten. He only put a defense on the field because the rules require him too. his philosophy seemed to be "You may score 50 but I bet we can score 60."

I think Fraiser would be a great hire. The guy is on the fringe each year of getting NFl jobs and has turned the Vikings defense into one of the top defenses in the NFL for the past several years.

Really? It had absolutely NOTHING to do with the talent that the Vikings have drafted/acquired?

I'd be interested in Frazier, but the timeline is a concern. Having a coach who won't be able to focus full time on the University until January (hopefully February) would cause some issues in both recruiting and building a staff. I would guess that Dubar would become the Vikings DC if Frazier were to leave.

THIS.

We need to name a coach as soon as we can so we don't take hit on the recruiting front. Brewster may still be the coach if he was hired in late November/early December of '06 and allowed to put a decent recruiting class together. Fast forward to today and we only have three defensive players on the roster from '07.

Really? It had absolutely NOTHING to do with the talent that the Vikings have drafted/acquired?

He clearly knew where to put the players for peak success.

And lets not forget he is calling the formations before each play and making big decisions when to blitz, when to drop back, ect.

He clearly knew where to put the players for peak success.

And lets not forget he is calling the formations before each play and making big decisions when to blitz, when to drop back, ect.

How do we know that he is currently optimizing the talent?

Here's a name for you: Monte Kiffin. USC's defense currently ranks #90 in the nation in total yards.

I have read that Dungy will help with the search, and I hope that is true. I also read that Dungy recommended Frazier when Brewster got the job in 2007. If that is true, I am surprised that Dungy would go a second round with Maturi. I hope the reports are accurate about Frazier's interest and that Maturi is smart enough to avoid passing on him twice.

I have a personal link to the team and talked to one of the players following their meeting with Brewster and Maturi this afternoon. They are really struggling right now, and they are angry that they were not told prior to the media. Some players found out by watching ESPN. As one might expect, conversations about transferring are beginning. Maturi disrespected Brewster and the players by allowing the plan to "leak," and by not having a 9:30 meeting with players following his 9:00 meeting with Brewster. I think the players are struggling to believe that he will act in their best interest after disregarding them in communicating this decision and his rationale.

The players were also upset that Brewster spoke in their meeting, and then Maturi began to speak and Brewster left. I'm sure Brewster left because it was so hard for him to cut ties with the players, but the players didn't have a chance to shake his hand, give him a hug, or wish him well. They were left with no closure and no idea of what will happen next.

I'm not sure I can make it to MN this weekend, but I sincerely hope that everyone who can come out and support these young men will do so. Inside those huge bodies you will still find young men who are very emotionally connected to their coaches and to this team. They can't see the upside of this - - yet. They just feel the loss. I hope the student body and community will give them the support to know that things will be ok.

Frazier would be a spectacular hire. He could get a very impressive coaching staff to come along with him as well. This would be an A+ hire IMO. I think most of the state wants him as the Vikes head coach though.

How do we know that he is currently optimizing the talent?

Here's a name for you: Monte Kiffin. USC's defense currently ranks #90 in the nation in total yards.
Monte is spectacularly old and USC is a program in turmoil. Their defense is also very, very young and placed smack dab in the middle of one of the toughest conferences in the country right now, certainly offensively. You can't really judge his work there a few games in at any rate. That's pretty poor, and likely dishonest, evaluation.

$$

I see Frazier is both the assistant HC and the DC. Anyone know how much money he currenlty makes per year?

I have read that Dungy will help with the search, and I hope that is true. I also read that Dungy recommended Frazier when Brewster got the job in 2007. If that is true, I am surprised that Dungy would go a second round with Maturi. I hope the reports are accurate about Frazier's interest and that Maturi is smart enough to avoid passing on him twice.

I have a personal link to the team and talked to one of the players following their meeting with Brewster and Maturi this afternoon. They are really struggling right now, and they are angry that they were not told prior to the media. Some players found out by watching ESPN. As one might expect, conversations about transferring are beginning. Maturi disrespected Brewster and the players by allowing the plan to "leak," and by not having a 9:30 meeting with players following his 9:00 meeting with Brewster. I think the players are struggling to believe that he will act in their best interest after disregarding them in communicating this decision and his rationale.

The players were also upset that Brewster spoke in their meeting, and then Maturi began to speak and Brewster left. I'm sure Brewster left because it was so hard for him to cut ties with the players, but the players didn't have a chance to shake his hand, give him a hug, or wish him well. They were left with no closure and no idea of what will happen next.

I'm not sure I can make it to MN this weekend, but I sincerely hope that everyone who can come out and support these young men will do so. Inside those huge bodies you will still find young men who are very emotionally connected to their coaches and to this team. They can't see the upside of this - - yet. They just feel the loss. I hope the student body and community will give them the support to know that things will be ok.

If this is all accurate, then all that can be said is that it is unfortunate, and possibly could have been handled differently, but it's not as though the guy died and they will never see him again. They will have opportunities to see him/talk with him.

And if kids want to transfer, so be it, but there is always talk of this when things like this happen - emotions are high, there is uncertainty, etc, etc. If players are smart, they will let things play out before making any rash decisions. It's difficult to lose a coach/friend/mentor, but people need to realize things CAN be better, and who knows - maybe a new hire will help to make things A LOT better (like winning some games).

That said, If those players talking about transfering made a committment to Tim Brewster, and not the University of Minnesota and this community/state, then unfortunately they came here for the wrong reason anyway.

Frazier can bring some funky plays on defense.

Take Henderson's 2nd interception. He took 2 steps forward like he was blitzing, the dropped back into coverage. Romo saw the blitz but never saw the drop into coverage. It was a great call that was executed perfectly.

Is there any chance he could be named head coach before the end of the NFL season, start assembling a staff to begin recruiting but still remain with the Vikings until their season is done? Not sure if this would work or if it would be considered unacceptable by the U and/or the Vikings.

Tell me Khaliq, how did you get a pic to be your signature? I haven't been able to.
Went to quick links, edit signature then used standard HTML image formatting linking to an external image host:

Is there any chance he could be named head coach before the end of the NFL season, start assembling a staff to begin recruiting but still remain with the Vikings until their season is done? Not sure if this would work or if it would be considered unacceptable by the U and/or the Vikings.

I don't think the Vikes would like it if he started working for someone else.

There is a chance that he could take the job before the end of the season, but not be allowed to recruit, hire anyone, or do anything else for the U until he formally leaves the Vikes.

Went to quick links, edit signature then used standard HTML image formatting linking to an external image host:

But use < > instead of [ ][/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks.

If this is all accurate, then all that can be said is that it is unfortunate, and possibly could have been handled differently, but it's not as though the guy died and they will never see him again. They will have opportunities to see him/talk with him.

And if kids want to transfer, so be it, but there is always talk of this when things like this happen - emotions are high, there is uncertainty, etc, etc. If players are smart, they will let things play out before making any rash decisions. It's difficult to lose a coach/friend/mentor, but people need to realize things CAN be better, and who knows - maybe a new hire will help to make things A LOT better (like winning some games).

That said, If those players talking about transfering made a committment to Tim Brewster, and not the University of Minnesota and this community/state, then unfortunately they came here for the wrong reason anyway.

Agree. Transfer discussions are inevitable in situations like this one. As such, if a bunch of guys leave because the coach leaves, then they weren't really Gophers but rather Brewsterites. Like you, I hope the players will see where the situation goes before making a decision. I have no doubt that some will go regardless, but there will also be some who stick it out and those are the guys I want to be with the program in the long haul.

Frazier should put Henderson's fake blitz on his resume. That was a thing of beauty: perfectly coached, perfectly timed for the play action. Wow!

I hope they give him a hard look. I like the way his Viking D plays and tackles. Plenty of NFL teams and players do not tackle like his players do. This is from his bio on the Viking site and while not DI experience, compliments his expereince in the pros nicely:

"Building programs was not unusual for Frazier before going to Illinois and the Eagles. He started the Trinity College football program from the ground up as the school started a football team with Frazier as head coach in 1988. Frazier turned the team into a winner, claiming Northern Illinois Intercollegiate Conference titles twice. The school, now known as Trinity International University, named the football field in Frazier’s honor in 1997 in tribute to his impact on the campus."

Not sure it is possible here, but it has been done before.

Kirk Ferentz was OL coach for the Ravens when Iowa hired him. He stayed on with the Ravens until their season ended. While he was with the Ravens, he assembled his IA staff and took over full time Iowa duties in January. His first recruiting class ranked 11th in the Big Ten. That class won the Big Ten title as seniors and played in a BCS bowl game.

Top Bottom