Tweets suggesting Vikes coach Leslie Frazier is interested

FishingMN

Reaction score
Per Chip Scoggins - Leslie Frazier is interested in the Gophers head coaching job, according to league sources.

I'll be so pleased if that ends up happening. Got any links?

Man talk about mixed emotions for me. :\ I know he won't be the Vikings DC forever but I love having him there.

He's going to be a head coach soon. Might as well be the HC for the Gophers. Would be a good hire.

Is this a deal where if the vikes continue to slide he'll ditch out on the season early or wouldn't come until after no matter what...

I hoped for him as the new Vikings HC but Gophers would work too.

I remember thinking a few years back that the Vikings should have gotten rid of Green and kept Dungy. Now, I'm thinking they should get rid of Childress and keep Frazier. But, since that won't happen, I hope that the Gophers are smart enough to hire Frazier.

I think Fraiser would be a great hire. The guy is on the fringe each year of getting NFl jobs and has turned the Vikings defense into one of the top defenses in the NFL for the past several years.

He would also be good for the Kids in Minnesota considering the U. Every kid in this state would know who he was because of the Vikings and Vikings fans across the nation as well.

WOW! If he NFL won''t hire him, why not be a HC in a major college?? Great, but will Maturi be smart enough to pursue this??

There will be a ton of interest in this job (again). But this time around time is on our side.

Sid is wrong. Not every coach in the country looks at the prospect of having to play Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa every year (with built-in disadvantages against them) with fear. Plenty of coaches will see this as a golden opportunity.

Initially I imagined him out of our range. But if he loves being in The Cities, then it gives us a huge advantage. And he probably won't stay with the Vikings if they end up tanking this year -- unless they want him to be head coach.

Would be a fantastic hire. My question regarding recruiting...Would Tony Dungy be allowed to be a special advisor to Frazier and be allowed to help recruit major high school prospects? You would think with Frazier and Dungy being such close friends that Dungy would A. Want to help his close friend be successful. B. Be able to help his ulma mater.

This would be a legitimate "kill shot" in my opinion.

Which means there's probably no way it will happen.

Would be a fantastic hire. My question regarding recruiting...Would Tony Dungy be allowed to be a special advisor to Frazier and be allowed to help recruit major high school prospects? You would think with Frazier and Dungy being such close friends that Dungy would A. Want to help his close friend be successful. B. Be able to help his ulma mater.

From what I read and what I hear, it doesn't seem that Dungy has a whole lot of interest in helping out the U.

Thanks for the link, wheaton.

Get him here Dungy!!!

While I like the initial thought of Frazier, is he someone who would stay long term? I'm not so sure. What are his long-term goals? Is it his desire to be an NFL head coach some day? I want someone who realistically could be here 10-plus years. I'm not sure Frazier fits that description.

This would be a legitimate "kill shot" in my opinion.

Which means there's probably no way it will happen.
This is a day for positivity, my friend! I think it's actually pretty likely. Dungy is going to talk him up to the university and we know he has pull there, Dungy will likewise talk the job up to Frazier who is already interested. This seems like a no brainer.

From what I read and what I hear, it doesn't seem that Dungy has a whole lot of interest in helping out the U.

Maturi said he already called Dungy and he didn't want the job but would do everything he can to help find the right guy

While I like the initial thought of Frazier, is he someone who would stay long term? I'm not so sure. What are his long-term goals? Is it his desire to be an NFL head coach some day? I want someone who realistically could be here 10-plus years. I'm not sure Frazier fits that description.

I'll take three solid Frazier years. And who knows, there are actually coaches who learn to prefer the college gig, if the fit is a good one.

Frazier has been rebuffed for an NFL gig so often I think if he finds a good college gig and settles in he'll be happy to stay long term.

That is obviously something they would have to hash out in discussions with him.

Frazier would not be a long term hire, and he's not a COLLEGE coach. Recruiting and recycling players is a lot different than 10 year contracts with proven athletes who don't attend class on the side.

I think he deserves an interview, and there's a lot of potential upside as far as recruiting, but he could easily be another Brewster. We need a proven college head coach.

Maturi said he already called Dungy and he didn't want the job but would do everything he can to help find the right guy

I guess I missed that. Thanks for the info.

I know he's an unproven HC but I would much rather have Frazier than Mangino or Leach, but I think I would prefer Golden or Bowden.

Frazier would not be a long term hire, and he's not a COLLEGE coach. Recruiting and recycling players is a lot different than 10 year contracts with proven athletes who don't attend class on the side.

I think he deserves an interview, and there's a lot of potential upside as far as recruiting, but he could easily be another Brewster. We need a proven college head coach.
Frazier is much more accomplished than Brewster and there's a ton of turnover on NFL rosters, the method of turnover is just different.

While I would love to have him considered, what they also have to keep in mind is sometimes NFL coaching doesn't convert over to College Coaching - for some of the reasons you stated. Bill Cowher of Pitt is an example. Great NFL Coach...mediocre College Coach.

But hey...Frazier is an up and coming coach with name recognition. It might not hurt to pursue this one.

Top Bottom