Tweets suggesting Vikes coach Leslie Frazier is interested

From what I read and what I hear, it doesn't seem that Dungy has a whole lot of interest in helping out the U.

Someone tweeted that Dungy "was willing to help them find the right leader." If Frazier is in deed the selection, I would find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be able to help him out on occasion. Could be wishful thinking on my part but it seems perfectly logical to me

While I would love to have him considered, what they also have to keep in mind is sometimes NFL coaching doesn't convert over to College Coaching - for some of the reasons you stated. Bill Cowher of Pitt is an example. Great NFL Coach...mediocre College Coach.

But hey...Frazier is an up and coming coach with name recognition. It might not hurt to pursue this one.

Cowher has never coached college.

Frazier would not be a long term hire, and he's not a COLLEGE coach. Recruiting and recycling players is a lot different than 10 year contracts with proven athletes who don't attend class on the side.

I think he deserves an interview, and there's a lot of potential upside as far as recruiting, but he could easily be another Brewster. We need a proven college head coach.

Frazier was a college coach for 11 years; 9 as Head Coach at NAIA Trinity College, and 2 as DB coach at Illinois. He's been in the NFL for 11 years. Could he have forgotten how to coach college kids? Sure, but I doubt it.

Cowher has never coached college.
I hope he was joking, otherwise he just mixed up Wannstedt with Cowher which is pretty amazing on a couple levels, not the least of which is calling Wanny and amazing NFL coach.

Frazier was a college coach for 11 years; 9 as Head Coach at NAIA Trinity College, and 2 as DB coach at Illinois. He's been in the NFL for 11 years. Could he have forgotten how to coach college kids? Sure, but I doubt it.

It seems to me that coaches who move down to college from the NFL should have more success. The NFL is a whole different monster than college. The NFL is the best of the best, where college is the best to upper level high schoolers.

I hope he was joking, otherwise he just mixed up Wannstedt with Cowher which is pretty amazing on a couple levels, not the least of which is calling Wanny and amazing NFL coach.

I meant Wannstedt - My bad! Was writing in a hurry. Big East football sucks anyways.

Moustaches probably got him mixed up.

That's true, he did coach small colleges. I think Dunbar is gone or on a leash with Frazier though, as Frazier obviously knows more of what he's doing. I could see Horton staying as OC (yeah, I know what you'll say, but c'mon, the offense improved with less playmakers, and was forced to run under Brewster... what happens if Frazier lets Horton do his own thing with Gray at QB?)

Importantly, hearing that he's coached some of the best Viking defenses we've ever seen would resonate with a lot of Minnesota, Iowa and Dakota kids. And a guy like Frazier would be able to "recruit" some quality guys to coach under him --- that shouldn't be underestimated.

Importantly, hearing that he's coached some of the best Viking defenses we've ever seen would resonate with a lot of Minnesota, Iowa and Dakota kids. And a guy like Frazier would be able to "recruit" some quality guys to coach under him --- that shouldn't be underestimated.

Right. It would be using the cache of the Vikings to actually help the Gophers.

I, for one, like that this would hurt the Vikings.

I, for one, like that this would hurt the Vikings.

It would definitely hurt the Vikings, however he has been been involved in NFL coaching rumors the past too offseasons. He will leave the Vikings and be a HC soon, that's a fact. It might as well be here!

I'm a big Vikings fan, but I think the defense is going to be tough to keep together in the coming years. The line is really aging and we will lose Ray Edwards, the youngest and most underrated player. Winfield is declining and Cedric Griffin just tore his other ACL. I love the linebackers, but there are no stars there and they are starting to get up there a little bit in age (not too bad, though).

All that is to say that this might be the perfect time for Frazier to jump ship to the Gophers. He gets to stay in his house but gets a "big" HC job.

It seems to me that coaches who move down to college from the NFL should have more success. The NFL is a whole different monster than college. The NFL is the best of the best, where college is the best to upper level high schoolers.

I think one of the reasons is their ability to recruit. The "can they recruit?" question always comes up with coaches who have been in professional football, because obviously there's no such thing in the pros. But its not like recruiting is the sort of rocket-science that justifies a a coach's seven-figure salary. A college HC has a staff that does most of the recruiting activity for them. And proven professional coaches who are considered to be great men (i.e. Dungy and Frazier) would have a distinct advantage of convincing recruits to sign-on.

I'm a big Vikings fan, but I think the defense is going to be tough to keep together in the coming years. The line is really aging and we will lose Ray Edwards, the youngest and most underrated player. Winfield is declining and Cedric Griffin just tore his other ACL. I love the linebackers, but there are no stars there and they are starting to get up there a little bit in age (not too bad, though).

All that is to say that this might be the perfect time for Frazier to jump ship to the Gophers. He gets to stay in his house but gets a "big" HC job.
Kevin Williams isn't that old and hasn't shown signs of slowing down. Pat is on his last legs, but quietly Jimmy Kennedy is starting to steal more of his snaps. He's really enjoying quite the renaissance in Minnesota and has turned into a good player.

The linebacking corps is one of the best in the league and Henderson and Greenway are both pro bowl level LBs. Leber has been slowed with injuries this year and may be due for replacement, but otherwise that's a unit with life in it.

In the secondary Griffin is injured but still relatively young and that's not an injury that should have a lasting impact, and while Winfield is up there you have to remember there's a lot of youth at the corner position as well with Cook and Asher Allen.

Frazier will probably move on soon but they won't have trouble bringing in a quality coach to replace him, and there's plenty of talent to work with and ownership that's not shy about giving them money to work with.

I think one of the reasons is their ability to recruit. The "can they recruit?" question always comes up with coaches who have been in professional football, because obviously there's no such thing in the pros. But its not like recruiting is the sort of rocket-science that justifies a a coach's seven-figure salary. A college HC has a staff that does most of the recruiting activity for them. And proven professional coaches who are considered to be great men (i.e. Dungy and Frazier) would have a distinct advantage of convincing recruits to sign-on.

Your absolutely right. Yes there is a skill to selling the program while on a young man's couch, but people want to play for a winner. Brewster was considered a great recruiter, but a majority of his great recruiting came while he was at Texas.

Anyone should be able to recruit for a winning program. That is why an NFL coach can come in, coach up the guys Brewster left, and start winning games. The recruiting will come naturally then because people will want to come.

Now, guys like a Michael Floyd or Sentrel Henderson (Minnesotan's we missed on) that is where selling used cars comes into play. Being able to convince them to stick around requires both winning and recruiting talent.

Kevin Williams isn't that old and hasn't shown signs of slowing down. Pat is on his last legs, but quietly Jimmy Kennedy is starting to steal more of his snaps. He's really enjoying quite the renaissance in Minnesota and has turned into a good player.

The linebacking corps is one of the best in the league and Henderson and Greenway are both pro bowl level LBs. Leber has been slowed with injuries this year and may be due for replacement, but otherwise that's a unit with life in it.

In the secondary Griffin is injured but still relatively young and that's not an injury that should have a lasting impact, and while Winfield is up there you have to remember there's a lot of youth at the corner position as well with Cook and Asher Allen.

Frazier will probably move on soon but they won't have trouble bringing in a quality coach to replace him, and there's plenty of talent to work with and ownership that's not shy about giving them money to work with.

I don't mean to paint a bleak picture of the Vikings -- I think the defense will still be solid but I think there will be attrition due to age, injuries and departures. Williams is not a nose tackle type like Pat Williams (who actually got better with age), he is a penetrating, disruptive DT and his numbers have decreased over the years. I realize part of this is a result of double teaming etc. but I don't think he will be as effective a player as he is getting older. I think we will really miss Ray Edwards.

I agree that Jimmy Kennedy has been a VERY solid player and I think we will hardly miss fat pat when he steps in (hope he sticks around; he has been complaining a lot recently).

Greenway is only 27 and has plenty of life left in him. Henderson is 30 and I'm afraid injuries have taken a toll...still a few good years left, though. Leber is likely moving on after the season, from what I've heard.

The secondary is what worries me most. Cedric is young, but he has had two ACL tears now. Winfield still looks good against the run/tackling, but the coverage skills are lacking. I'm not sold on Allen or Cook, yet, but they still have plenty of time to prove themselves -- they just aren't known quantities. Not a big fan of our safeties at all. I think the secondary is our biggest weakness.

Once again, not saying the Vikings D is about to fall apart but I don't think they have the pieces to be as elite of a D they have been the last couple of years

If Frazier takes the MN job, he doesn't have to move (not sure if he has any kids other than the one that went to Rice), and he gets a big time job, although not an NFL job. I really wouldn't mind if he moves on to an NFL job in 3 years, because that means he is having success here. I would rather have success but discontinuity in our coaches, than having continuity and not win.

I like Frazier he has Dungy pedigree

Frazier would bring good positive energy to this program.
Would get coach Dungy's stamp of approval too. I would think we would have a pretty good defensive staff at Minnesota if coach Frazier were to take this job. This would be a good hire,
smart football coach that would help in the Football IQ department. We need smart around here
after the last debacle as head coach. Brew was a passionate and piss and vinegar positive type guy but he just could not coach the fundamentals and prepare the team that well.

Don't forget, next year's NFL season is up in the air because of the collective bargaining agreement. If those closer to the league (like coaches) are seriously concerned about not working next season (not sure if coaches get paid in a lockout), it might be a good time to make the move.

Man, it would be pretty damn easy to get behind a Leslie Frazier hire. I would grade that an A.

Only flaw in this plan. He will be named the Vikings head coach after the terrible job Childress is doing. Offer him the job now, during the Cowboys game

Recruitng is selling and coach Frazier has had a tough time closing the deal in his interviews. We all know he'd be good with X's and O's. I just hope he'd b a good recruiter.

As good as this sounds I think they should turn over a lot of stones before deciding on someone.

If Frazer becomes head coach is it too crazy to think that his coordinators could currently be on the staff with him for the Vikings. Bienemy (sp?) Would look good as OC and Dunbar wouldn't look too bad as a DC.

Top Bottom