Tweets suggesting Vikes coach Leslie Frazier is interested

Seemingly, I always have the contrarian viewpoint. Leslie Frazier is a good guy. So was Brewster. Is there that much difference between the two? Yes, Brewster was a proven recruiter and Frazier is not. Yes, Frazier has been a coordinator and Brewster had not. Frazier was a head coach at a school that had not yet elevated to DIII status with 900 students. He won two conference championships in nine years against head coaches I'm guessing who have proven they are not Big Ten caliber. Brewster was a high school head coach. Brewster played on a Big Ten championship team. Played in the Rose Bowl. Etc etc

He has a lot of Pro Bowl talent on the Vikings. Winfield can tackle. On a typical Sunday lots of others get missed. The Vikings absolutely do not pursue the football...(gang tackle) on a regular basis...constantly allowing the ball carrier to struggle forward for extra yards. They have atrocious strategy on 3rd and 20 type situations. They seem to give it up constantly. They try to stop this situation at the line of scrimmage, not blitzing, not giving up 10 yards but trying to stop it at the line of scrimmage and getting beat over and over in this situation.

The Vikings rarely get takeaways.

He is totally unproven as a recruiter and as a head coach. He's like Brewster, could be a home
run, could be a strikeout. I think the U of M is big enough to hire a proven head coach. Frazier isn't going to have 7 Pro Bowlers to coach on the Gophers defense. He has no familiarity with college football in 2010...it would take at least a year to learn the differences, the tendencies of the overall game. It is not the same.

Whoever we hire should have been in charge and been successful at some level. Hiring assistants is too risky in our situation. Once something is rolling an assistant might be perfect. we ain't rolling.

yeah, i'm a little leery of hiring someone with zero big time college experience. it's just a different world. i'm not even convinced dungy would be successful.

It seems to me that coaches who move down to college from the NFL should have more success. The NFL is a whole different monster than college. The NFL is the best of the best, where college is the best to upper level high schoolers.

The NFL may have the best of the best when it comes to talent and even coaches that you're matched up against but coaching defense in college is a lot more difficult than coaching in the NFL. However, the NFL is a copycat league and what you see from week to week doesn't vary all that much. The offenses you see in college are much more varied (option, spread, power running, etc) and you have fewer hours to work with the kids on the gameplan for the upcoming game. You also have to use more of your limited practice time for continuing to teach fundamentals because the players aren't as developed.

Yeah forget Frazier. Hire another good 'ol boy and call it a day. Ski U Mah.

Yeah forget Frazier. Hire another good 'ol boy and call it a day. Ski U Mah.

Exactly, it seems to me the Frazier downers are painting him as a dolt who only has the ability to call play for professional caliber athletes. How do people know that Frazier is just a one dimension guy whose goal was never to become a BCS college head coach? I am hoping that this skepticism stems from the fact that our previous coach was completely one dimensional (he was a recruiter and nothing more) and that this is what has skewed people's opinion of a Frazier hire. Can anyone on this board say for sure that Frazier didn't make the jump to the NFL to improve his resume so that one day he could attain his dream job of becoming a head-coach at the BCS level?

Exactly, it seems to me the Frazier downers are painting him as a dolt who only has the ability to call play for professional caliber athletes. How do people know that Frazier is just a one dimension guy whose goal was never to become a BCS college head coach? I am hoping that this skepticism stems from the fact that our previous coach was completely one dimensional (he was a recruiter and nothing more) and that this is what has skewed people's opinion of a Frazier hire. Can anyone on this board say for sure that Frazier didn't make the jump to the NFL to improve his resume so that one day he could attain his dream job of becoming a head-coach at the BCS level?

I dont think Frazier is that bad of a candidate on the college level, but with the success of his Vikings defenses you'd have to think he could potentially get a NFL HC job when the season ends.

Hes had plenty of interviews for jobs due to the Rooney Rule. Even if he wasn't their main target, I'm sure word has been passed around the league about him in terms of other potential gigs.

If hes willing to turn that down to come to Minnesota. I would welcome him with open arms.:)

I think the problem with pro guys is that they watch professional players for such a long time that it may be difficult for them to fathom why college kids can't make the same plays.

I've got nothing against Frazier and maybe he'd be a great head coach. I'm just leery of bringing in another guy who has been away from the college game for a long time.

I think the problem with pro guys is that they watch professional players for such a long time that it may be difficult for them to fathom why college kids can't make the same plays.

I've got nothing against Frazier and maybe he'd be a great head coach. I'm just leery of bringing in another guy who has been away from the college game for a long time.

That is why the role of a teacher is important. There isn't anything wrong with expecting college guys to do things that professionals do. The key in that is to be able to teach them how to do it, because eventually they will have to on the professional level. Guys suddenly dont become good when they reach the NFL. You dont get enough time to develop or learn, if you aren't playing on a higher level than everyone else in college, then you wont stick.

We dont need a guy like Wannstedt coming in. A coach who expects to run a college football program like a NFL training camp, and get mixed results depending on the cast of players and their reactions to it. He doesn't do much teaching, which is why a large portion of his players dont stick in the NFL.

Top Bottom