Tubby/Texas Tech Observations

I have only met tubby once and that was at a HS game talking with Wally's dad. He was an extremely nice person in the ten minutes I got to talk with him. Not saying he set the world on fire here in MN or that I am not glad we have Pitino now. But I don't understand the tubby bashing. Comments like the one guy who said he was glad Tubby is losing at Texas tech are bush league.

I have only met tubby once and that was at a HS game talking with Wally's dad. He was an extremely nice person in the ten minutes I got to talk with him. Not saying he set the world on fire here in MN or that I am not glad we have Pitino now. But I don't understand the tubby bashing. Comments like the one guy who said he was glad Tubby is losing at Texas tech are bush league.

XMan: There are no such things as "bush league" comments on GH.

Tubby's recent comments about MN wanting a younger coach don't help him though. I defender him just as much as anyone but now he just seems like a bitter old man.

Tubby's recent comments about MN wanting a younger coach don't help him though. I defender him just as much as anyone but now he just seems like a bitter old man.

I hope to see him get a second wind at TT. There's no doubt in my mind he was burned out here, so it surprised me that he jumped back in the pool so quickly, even though we were still paying him. My sense was and is that he wants to show us and everyone. Not that I necessarily blame him, but I frankly wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. If he thinks Tech is going to be a safe landing spot, he would be making the same miscalculation he made when he landed here.

All that said, I really like the guy, his recent comments notwithstanding.

Tubby is 62 years old. It's obvious he doesn't have the desire or energy he used to. Why keep coaching and move to Lubbock? I would think he could afford to retire. Making TT relevant in BB is going to take a lot of work and luck.

It's like Souhan said the other day; 'Tubby thinks he should be paid for past accomplishments.'

I hope to see him get a second wind at TT. There's no doubt in my mind he was burned out here, so it surprised me that he jumped back in the pool so quickly, even though we were still paying him. My sense was and is that he wants to show us and everyone. Not that I necessarily blame him, but I frankly wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. If he thinks Tech is going to be a safe landing spot, he would be making the same miscalculation he made when he landed here.

All that said, I really like the guy, his recent comments notwithstanding.

There is a rumor that Bob Knight talked him into this job. It will be very tough for sure.

Tubby is 62 years old. It's obvious he doesn't have the desire or energy he used to. Why keep coaching and move to Lubbock? I would think he could afford to retire. Making TT relevant in BB is going to take a lot of work and luck.

It's like Souhan said the other day; 'Tubby thinks he should be paid for past accomplishments.'

At least he did have some accomplishments to bank on what has Souhan done in his life?????

If you think that all the CEOs and coaches deserve their salaries, you are either younger than 15 or not very bright.

So therefor it's just fine and we shouldn't complain or talk about it, right?

But mom everybody's doing it.

I realize nothing will change your view of Tubby but what's the deal with you adulation? Are you a family member?

I hate the whole Tubby vs. Pitino debate and just don't care, we have pitino so lets move on and if you truly like the gophers you would root for his success. But I will say, Tubby has been having his guys playing very well lately and has done pretty good job with the team considering how bad they are, so congrats to him, hope he keeps it up, and maybe down the line we will be facing him in the final 4 (gophers win of course)

I hate the whole Tubby vs. Pitino debate and just don't care, we have pitino so lets move on and if you truly like the gophers you would root for his success. But I will say, Tubby has been having his guys playing very well lately and has done pretty good job with the team considering how bad they are, so congrats to him, hope he keeps it up, and maybe down the line we will be facing him in the final 4 (gophers win of course)

There's no need for 'Pitino vs Tubby' debate. The Gophers are better off. TT is certainly better off. And I think Tubby is better of too.

As frustrated as I was with watching the Tubby Standing Offense over the course of the past few years, I was rooting for him and the kids from TTU to take out KU last night. It would have been a great moment for everyone down in Lubbock.

As frustrated as I was with watching the Tubby Standing Offense over the course of the past few years, I was rooting for him and the kids from TTU to take out KU last night. It would have been a great moment for everyone down in Lubbock.

I personally root for Tubby, but cringe when I open this message board in the morning anytime he has a noteworthy game.

Old Tubby almost pulled another one off tonight. Not a great season. But far from ugly.

This has been another tiresome line of crap we've been fed by Gopher Warrior. It hasn't been ugly in Lubbock, and it's not going to be (at least this year). He'll probably keep saying it in the vain hope that reality will mold itself around his prediction. In the meantime, as I noted in another thread, Tubby has done a really nice job taking a reasonably talented and scrappy group of players and elevating them above what the previous regime was able to do. Eerily similar to his first year here, when he made us wonder why Monson hadn't done more with McKenzie, Westbrook, Coleman, Johnson, Abu Shamala, Busch and Tollackson.

This has been another tiresome line of crap we've been fed by Gopher Warrior. It hasn't been ugly in Lubbock, and it's not going to be (at least this year). He'll probably keep saying it in the vain hope that reality will mold itself around his prediction. In the meantime, as I noted in another thread, Tubby has done a really nice job taking a reasonably talented and scrappy group of players and elevating them above what the previous regime was able to do. Eerily similar to his first year here, when he made us wonder why Monson hadn't done more with McKenzie, Westbrook, Coleman, Johnson, Abu Shamala, Busch and Tollackson.

No question very similar to Tubby's first season in Minnesota. He's overachieving and has made Tech instantly competitive. How he does in future seasons in Lubbock is pure conjecture. He deserves credit for the here & now what's he's doing at Tech, not ridicule. Thought before the season if he got to 13 wins that would have to be considered a success, and he's already there. Hoping he can create some havoc in the Big XII tourney like he did with the Gophers in Year 1.

Lol, it's gonna be SO UGLY! PUTRID! They're HOPING to get to 15 wins this year.

You can celebrate a home loss to an injured team if you'd like, but the truth will ultimately be revealed and be consistent with my words.

Remember when someone on here was saying Tubby would get to 20 wins and make the tourney? Can't remember who that was, but its still funny.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Remember when someone on here was saying Tubby would get to 20 wins and make the tourney? Can't remember who that was, but its still funny.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

I think TRT is the only one who posts here capable of coming to that conclusion, whether one is pro-Tubby, anti-Tubby, or indifferent.

I think TRT is the only one who posts here capable of coming to that conclusion, whether one is pro-Tubby, anti-Tubby, or indifferent.

Nope, it was a poster named jumpstop, who is equally delusional.

With that said, TT has been competitive in pretty much every conference game. Not ugly by any standard, a few bounces their way, and they'd be putting together a very nice campaign in a throw away year. Currently at 67 in the Kenpom rankings and 72 with Sagarin.

Lol, it's gonna be SO UGLY! PUTRID! They're HOPING to get to 15 wins this year.

You can celebrate a home loss to an injured team if you'd like, but the truth will ultimately be revealed and be consistent with my words.

Your batting average lately is really excellent. Will Justin Morneau make it through the season alive in Colorado?

Nope, it was a poster named jumpstop, who is equally delusional.

With that said, TT has been competitive in pretty much every conference game. Not ugly by any standard, a few bounces their way, and they'd be putting together a very nice campaign in a throw away year. Currently at 67 in the Kenpom rankings and 72 with Sagarin.

That's respectable, especially considering last year's dumpster fire.

Top Bottom