Tubby has alot of nerve

ralph vs. blake

Being from Minnesota dumbest thing I have heard. Rodney has been horid and he is from Minnesota..

Hoffarber has gotten better each year and more out of his talent. Ralph is soft and a tease just like Dan Coleman- who buy the way was from Minnesota...

Blake has played well he is not a PG plain and simple.... just like Ralph is not a low post threat...

Sad thing is Blake has better handles then Hollins and Williams they are the nervous "nellies" dribbling the ball..

Blake has played better then I thought he would at PG.. Another year of what ifs!

Tubby by the way the press wasnt working... Gophers had to work hard to score then they pressed and let Illinois score in 10 secs...

Lol, after reading the first few posts I don't need to read any further. Always defending Hoffbarber, make excuses for his play, and trying to flex your epeens all at the same time thinking you know better than anyone else. I question some of the posters sexual preference to the opposite sex. Most of you have too big of a man crush :eek:

Do we have a bunch of sissies on our team that can't handle some criticism? By reading most the posts in this thread you would think so. I love it that Tubby came out and criticized some of his players to the media. These guys are playing well under their potential and I don't think it's Tubby's fault. We also have to factor in that 3 freshman are playing regular minutes because of the losses of Nolen and the quitter Joseph. But let's give these players some credit. If they can't handle some criticism, they shouldn't be playing Divison 1 basketball. Instead they should be basket weaving.

Tubby can't criticize a SENIOR who just played a poor game at home? I like Blake and I think he's possibly the only player that has improved over last year. That said, I think it's more than fair for Tubby to call out Blake after last night. I don't think he was pleased with anyone last night, and he's certainly got on both Ralph and Trevor at times this year.

Wait...didn't ya'll tell me Devoe was a disasater at PG? Now you want him back.

Nice.

Nope, I told you there's no excuse for a guy to quit on his teammates in the middle of a season, and I simply couldn't understand how a supposedly hard-ass military lifer could defend a quitter.

Nice.

I want him back, but never said he was a disaster. I hope things work out for Joseph and MN, but sure would be nice to have Devoe now and sure would be nice if he had just learned from his mistakes and stuck it out this season.

Maybe Blake "bad" shots are a symptom of the coaching leadership not being able to come up with an offensive scheme in this its fourth season rather than a lack of senior leadership.

I couldn't agree with you more. You should hear how much time Weber has ripped on McCamey. Coaches do it all the time.

It's not a big deal as long as it is true and deserved. Its not like if Tubby didn't say it would magically not be obvious to everyone that this team is playing pretty terribly as of late.

Maybe Blake "bad" shots are a symptom of the coaching leadership not being able to come up with an offensive scheme in this its fourth season rather than a lack of senior leadership.

Swede, you are an idiot and simply do not comprehend basketball. Nolen out, Joseph gone. 3 freshman starting and playing regular minutes, good players transferring and/or graduating.Tubby's style and system works. He's a great motivator. His players need to sack up and play better when the big lights are on.

Swede, you are an idiot and simply do not comprehend basketball. Nolen out, Joseph gone. 3 freshman starting and playing regular minutes, good players transferring and/or graduating.Tubby's style and system works. He's a great motivator. His players need to sack up and play better when the big lights are on.

Thanks for the observation. So what is it that I don't comprehend? The fact that at no time in 3.5 years has this team had anything that resembles a cohesive offense? That when Joseph was here or when Nolen was healthy the offense consisted of Al holding the ball for 20 seconds, driving the lane and throwing up a wild shot in hopes of getting fouled? That Joseph wasn't a point guard and the offense then consisted of Joseph throwing up a contested shot early in the shot clock? Monson's three man weave looked complex compared to whatever it is this team does. The only time this offense has been potent has been when a player has gone off ala Devoe Joseph in last year's Big 10 tourney. That the players can't set screens, make entry passes or pump fakes; basic basketball skils?

What else don't I comprehend? That Tubby hasn't been able to recruit and keep Al Nolen's eventual replacement? That perhaps some of the departures may have been Tubby induced? That Tubby's best recruiting consisted of high-risk individuals that burned this team and caused it to nearly disintegrate? That his players have shown a startling lack of improvement under Tubby? Case in point, this year's junior class, his second best class. That this years recruiting class was largely unheralded and its success depends upon any of the 4 being diamonds in the rough that no one else recognized? That we still don't have a future point guard recruited and that our offense will depend on at least one of the two combo guards coming in being able to convert to point guard?

What else don't I comprehend? That a $2 million per year coach shouldn't have any expectations placed upon him? That we should finish in the upper half of the Big 10, nay even the top 4 from time to time? Perhaps a NCAA win? Maybe even a marquee win? Maybe even make it tough for opponents to come into your gym?

It's an incredible non-sequitor to suggest that Tubby is a great motivator, yet place the blame on the kids who aren't "stepping up," belying your assertion that I am somehow an idiot. Tubby's system may work, and it may yet work here, but right now, and for the last 3.5 years, it hasn't worked as it has for him as it has at his prior coaching stops.

Now would be a good time to remind you that Tubby took a 9 win team and has provided us with consistent 20 win teams. We have been hit with some unfortunate losses these past few years. I do not see how you can criticize him for something that is out of his control. If you think you can do a better job, then by all means, apply for it. If not, shut up and be thankful that we are not the laughing stocks of league anymore.

I tend to side with Swede here. The wheels are coming off of the Tubbymobile in MN, folks. We absolutely DO NOT have an offensive scheme here, no matter the players on the floor. We have not had one since Smith arrived, and from all accounts, KY did not have one, either. He won his NC with another coach's players, then maxed out at "good", not "great" seasons with his own recruits. At KENTUCKY!

Tubby should have sensed early on vs. IL that the fast break was not doing our guys any good, and he never adjusted. They'd score on us in 10 seconds and wore out the legs of an already depleted Gopher squad. The halftime adjustment by Weber was brilliant--turn up the pace, turn the tables on us. The game was over by the mid-point of the 2nd half. Tubby gets outcoached and out-recruited. It's about time he moves on.

Thanks for the observation. So what is it that I don't comprehend? The fact that at no time in 3.5 years has this team had anything that resembles a cohesive offense? That when Joseph was here or when Nolen was healthy the offense consisted of Al holding the ball for 20 seconds, driving the lane and throwing up a wild shot in hopes of getting fouled? That Joseph wasn't a point guard and the offense then consisted of Joseph throwing up a contested shot early in the shot clock? Monson's three man weave looked complex compared to whatever it is this team does. The only time this offense has been potent has been when a player has gone off ala Devoe Joseph in last year's Big 10 tourney. That the players can't set screens, make entry passes or pump fakes; basic basketball skils?

What else don't I comprehend? That Tubby hasn't been able to recruit and keep Al Nolen's eventual replacement? That perhaps some of the departures may have been Tubby induced? That Tubby's best recruiting consisted of high-risk individuals that burned this team and caused it to nearly disintegrate? That his players have shown a startling lack of improvement under Tubby? Case in point, this year's junior class, his second best class. That this years recruiting class was largely unheralded and its success depends upon any of the 4 being diamonds in the rough that no one else recognized? That we still don't have a future point guard recruited and that our offense will depend on at least one of the two combo guards coming in being able to convert to point guard?

What else don't I comprehend? That a $2 million per year coach shouldn't have any expectations placed upon him? That we should finish in the upper half of the Big 10, nay even the top 4 from time to time? Perhaps a NCAA win? Maybe even a marquee win? Maybe even make it tough for opponents to come into your gym?

It's an incredible non-sequitor to suggest that Tubby is a great motivator, yet place the blame on the kids who aren't "stepping up," belying your assertion that I am somehow an idiot. Tubby's system may work, and it may yet work here, but right now, and for the last 3.5 years, it hasn't worked as it has for him as it has at his prior coaching stops.

I have a really hard time disagreeing with any of this. And that is unfortunate.

Now would be a good time to remind you that Tubby took a 9 win team and has provided us with consistent 20 win teams. We have been hit with some unfortunate losses these past few years. I do not see how you can criticize him for something that is out of his control. If you think you can do a better job, then by all means, apply for it. If not, shut up and be thankful that we are not the laughing stocks of league anymore.

Brilliant and insightful post. I don't need to reread my posts to be quite positive that I never suggested that I be considered a candidate for the job, nor have I ever called for the coach to be fired. And to suggest an opinion can not be expressed as to how another person does the job just because that is not their career field is ridiculous. I am not a politician. Should I not be able vote in elections? Should my clients not be able to criticize the services I provide to them even though they are not lawyers? Should a Minnesota tax payer and basketball fan not expect more from a $2 million per year coach? By your simplistic reasoning, even a 9 win coach should be above reproach because, after all, not a single one of us on this board is qualified to be coach of the University of Minnesota basketball team. Your pliable, child like devotion to mediocrity is endemic.

Tubby does control who he recruits and how he handles them once here. Unfortunately, when one is in the position that Tubby is in, it all runs through the coach and the buck stops with him. Granted, when dealing with 18-22 year old boys/men, there is always an element of volatility brewing just underneath the surface and even under the best tutelage, there will be eruptions (see Mich St this year, for example). Frankly, there's been an awful lot of that under Tubby lo these last 3.5 years and at some point, that may be more than coincidence. Tubby decides who to recruit, he decides how to nurture, develop and discipline once here, he decides what the offensive scheme on the court will consist of (or if there will be one, apparently). Of course Tubby has no control over injuries, but he does have control of how such injuries will be dealt with and that goes back to recruiting, nurturing and player development. It's not like we lost an All-American here. Al Nolen played good defense and was able to get the ball over the time line, and not much more. Yet 3.5 years later, we don't even have a backup point guard and that's Tubby's fault. Sure Joseph left. But he himself wasn't a point guard. And Tubby did recruit what may have been a locker room cancer and was in charge of his development here at the U with poor results. You get paid well, and much is expected of you.

We can't all be Duke or Kansas, but by the same token, there's no reason we can't be on par with, or better than the Wisconsin program, and we shouldn't consider $2 million per year to be a good deal for the results we've received.

I tend to side with Swede here. The wheels are coming off of the Tubbymobile in MN, folks. We absolutely DO NOT have an offensive scheme here, no matter the players on the floor. We have not had one since Smith arrived, and from all accounts, KY did not have one, either. He won his NC with another coach's players, then maxed out at "good", not "great" seasons with his own recruits. At KENTUCKY!

Tubby should have sensed early on vs. IL that the fast break was not doing our guys any good, and he never adjusted. They'd score on us in 10 seconds and wore out the legs of an already depleted Gopher squad. The halftime adjustment by Weber was brilliant--turn up the pace, turn the tables on us. The game was over by the mid-point of the 2nd half. Tubby gets outcoached and out-recruited. It's about time he moves on.

I've noticed since the Big 10 season starts that more often than not, the last effective in game adjustment seems to come from the other bench as well. Perhaps we don't have the personnel to execute, perhaps the adjustments just aren't effective.

Nice.

USDAChef

1. I don't recall anyone saying Devoe was a "disaster" at PG. I do recall many saying it isn't his "natural" position.

2. "Wanting someone back" and "missing what could have been" (had Devoe not been a selfish, gutless quitter) are not the same.

3. Do you urge your plebes to quit when the chips are down?

Nicely stated.

Swede

I've noticed since the Big 10 season starts that more often than not, the last effective in game adjustment seems to come from the other bench as well. Perhaps we don't have the personnel to execute, perhaps the adjustments just aren't effective.

You have it nailed. With a high powered nail gun.

Year 4. Huge salary. Expectations.

Thus far, failure.

Time to win.

This team was ranked in the top 15 when Nolen was healthy. Pretty sure that is winning, and meeting or exceeding expectations. Of course, I realize you aren't interested in reality.

This team was ranked in the top 15 when Nolen was healthy. Pretty sure that is winning, and meeting or exceeding expectations. Of course, I realize you aren't interested in reality.

4 years in and no viable PG replacement for a Monson recruit?

THAT is reality. appears you are not willing to see reality.

4 years in and no viable PG replacement for a Monson recruit?

THAT is reality. appears you are not willing to see reality.

Andre Hollins. Joe Coleman. Both are Top 100 recruits that were signed as replacements for Hoffarber and Nolen.

Maybe you hadn't heard but the back-up PG (Devoe Joseph) transferred at semester break.

Andre Hollins. Joe Coleman. Both are Top 100 recruits that were signed as replacements for Hoffarber and Nolen.

Maybe you hadn't heard but the back-up PG (Devoe Joseph) transferred at semester break.

5 years to get those 2. Right fot? 5 years?

Who recruited Dr Puffalot to MN?

Tubby has had 4 (not 5) recruiting classes at Minnesota. 2008, 09, 10, and 11.

The 2008 and 2009 classes included quality PG recruits. And the 2011 class does also.

Tubby has had 4 (not 5) recruiting classes at Minnesota. 2008, 09, 10, and 11.

The 2008 and 2009 classes included quality PG recruits. And the 2011 class does also.

Cobbs? and he is where right now?

4 or 5, where is the PG?

Cobbs? and he is where right now?

4 or 5, where is the PG?

Devoe Joseph was supposed to use PG minutes. Tubby wanted him as a PG, Devoe was better at SG. This one Tubby should have been able to see somewhat by watching Devoe, but he left anyways.

Cobbs was a 3-Star and transfered to Cal. You're right. Tubby should have known this would happen for sure.

Following year, had one scholly open, saved it for Cory. Cory waited to decide. left with very little option for PG's left, got Mav.

Next year Tubby has brought in Andre Hollins. I am hoping that he will still get a Juco PG. But have to see.

As FOT pointed out, Tubby signed 3 quality PG's throughout his 4 classes. Unfortunately, two did not work out. TBD how much of that is on Tubby. TBD how the 3rd one goes, but it looks promising. Hopefully he can add a 4th PG as well (5th total)

Top Bottom