Tubby has alot of nerve

Seems to me we were in a very similar position last season as Al went out and we were playing like crap...Tubby somehow got this team to 20 wins and thent he B1G Finals and the NCAA...I suspect that Tubby didn't just lose his mind and knows what he is doing...just saying.

I don't know what Tubby is doing by calling out Blake...but then I don't get paid $2 mil per year and I don't have a National Title either...so I guess it doesn't matter that I don't know.

What I do know is that we had all the peices in place last year to be really really good and we lost Trevor and Royce for the season and Al for the Big Ten season and we became mediocre.

We had a really good team this year and we lost Al to injury, Devoe to divadom and transfer and Mo to injury...now we are again, just mediocre.

Tubby's teams win 20 games and play in the NCAA almost every year he has been a coach...I think I will defer to him again on what is best. That said, even the MIGHT TOM IZZO couldn't overcome losing players this year...its hard to win with 8 players, of which 3 ar FR and one 1 a senior.

Yet, Tubby decides to call him out because he didn't make a pump fake with 50 secs left in the game down 8? Not only that, he cites the team cancer of Westbrook and resident toker Bostick as shining beacons of previous senior leadership?

I'm sure you know this, but Westbrook & Bostick were not the only Sr's on the team last year ...

Tubby wants Blake to get to the line more. What's wrong with that? Blake should be taking more FT's. Look at JJ Redick back in the day. He shot faked a lot and drew a lot of fouls when shooting the 3. I know Blake is doing a lot right now, but it's not like there's nothing can't be improved. I don't fault Tubby for saying it.

Feel free to skip over this post as it doesn't contribute anything to the thread -

But, everytime I read the heading this movie line pops into my head -

Courtesy of IMDB:
Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark: I wasn't talking to you.

Rodney has no confidence beacuse he's been outed as someone with little basketball sense.

Seems to me we were in a very similar position last season as Al went out and we were playing like crap...Tubby somehow got this team to 20 wins and thent he B1G Finals and the NCAA...I suspect that Tubby didn't just lose his mind and knows what he is doing...just saying.

I don't know what Tubby is doing by calling out Blake...but then I don't get paid $2 mil per year and I don't have a National Title either...so I guess it doesn't matter that I don't know.

What I do know is that we had all the peices in place last year to be really really good and we lost Trevor and Royce for the season and Al for the Big Ten season and we became mediocre.

We had a really good team this year and we lost Al to injury, Devoe to divadom and transfer and Mo to injury...now we are again, just mediocre.

Tubby's teams win 20 games and play in the NCAA almost every year he has been a coach...I think I will defer to him again on what is best. That said, even the MIGHT TOM IZZO couldn't overcome losing players this year...its hard to win with 8 players, of which 3 ar FR and one 1 a senior.

+1

IL's two top guys were benched to start last night's game, because Weber was unhappy with their play the past couple games. This is essentially the same thing as calling out a player like Tubby did last night. Blake has been asked a lot as of late, but he had a bad game, and is capable of doing much more. He is the emotional leader of the team, and is likely the only guy on the team that can take the criticism and use it to positively affect his play. The other guys are constantly second guessing themselves on the court, which causes them to make more mistakes. This would only be increased if Tubby called them out, because they do not have the confidence in their game to use the open criticism in a positive manner. The criticism will not change Blake's game, outside of maybe a head fake or two.

Tubby does not have the luxury of benching Blake as a motivational tactic, because he is irreplaceable on the court at this point. Therefore he chose the closest alternative and questioned his play to the media. Now, benching Rodney is a completely different story...

If you can't take public criticism of your game, then you should not be playing D1 ball.

Yet, Tubby decides to call him out because he didn't make a pump fake with 50 secs left in the game down 8? Not only that, he cites the team cancer of Westbrook and resident toker Bostick as shining beacons of previous senior leadership?

I'm sure you know this, but Westbrook & Bostick were not the only Sr's on the team last year ...

Damien was key last year. He was a great asset to the program and Tubby has said that on countless occasions.

Westbrook, even though him and Tubby didn't agree at times, at least had the confidence to play the game. He didn't let Tubby, the moment, the other team, anything scare him from doing what he felt was the right play. Was he wrong sometimes? Yeah and he got in trouble for it. But at least he had the courage to do it, something I wish was more common on the team this year. Be smart and be confident. You can be both.

Seing MSU rip Penn State a new one last night restored my faith that good coaches figure it out in the end, sometimes it just takes a little longer to get the car back on the road. Seeing Sparty get blown off the map by teams like Iowa was disturbing. That said, I wish we had gotten our game with them out of the way while they were figuring it out instead of before and after.

Blake shouldn't be the primary scorer in this offense, nor should be forcing as many shots as he has.

This much consternation over Tubby saying that Blake needs to use a shot fake? Really?

And for the record, Tubby is right. Hoff has never developed a shot fake that could give him a better shot.

Not sure if anyone else heard the WCCO postgame interview with Tubby, but Spencer asked him how he would handle the guys' confidence and whether he would back off at all after losing 4 straight. Tubby responded with something along the lines of "we tried to back off the past couple days, but that didn't work so I guess we'll have to try something else". Thought it was an interesting comment, and it seems like calling guys out is Tubby's last ditch effort to salvage the season.

I agree.

I expect Blake's feelings were less hurt than some of the posters here at the hole.

I have no trouble with Tubby "calling out" his lads.

This much consternation over Tubby saying that Blake needs to use a shot fake? Really?

And for the record, Tubby is right. Hoff has never developed a shot fake that could give him a better shot.

Tubby is right, but I thought he was leaning towards getting him to the foul line, using the shot fake to draw a foul.

Tubby is right, but I thought he was leaning towards getting him to the foul line, using the shot fake to draw a foul.

It would help in both situations. You'll often see defenders fly out of control at hoffarber. I'd love to see a shot fake, and drill a 3 with no one in front of him.

His airball on the pick and roll with about 5 minutes left would have been the perfect situation for that.

Maybe Tubby should look in the mirror once in a while when he starts looking for people to blame. He's the head coach. He's the guy who recruited this team...who's fault is it that he finds himself with one B10 caliber guard, and no division 1 caliber PG, in his fourth season?

Fact of the matter is that Hoff has played pretty putrid since the move to PG. If it is simply that he isn't good enough, I don't think Tubby would be ripping him. Tubby probably knows he is playing far below how he can. At times he is playing scared out there.

IL's two top guys were benched to start last night's game, because Weber was unhappy with their play the past couple games. This is essentially the same thing as calling out a player like Tubby did last night. Blake has been asked a lot as of late, but he had a bad game, and is capable of doing much more. He is the emotional leader of the team, and is likely the only guy on the team that can take the criticism and use it to positively affect his play. The other guys are constantly second guessing themselves on the court, which causes them to make more mistakes. This would only be increased if Tubby called them out, because they do not have the confidence in their game to use the open criticism in a positive manner. The criticism will not change Blake's game, outside of maybe a head fake or two.

Tubby does not have the luxury of benching Blake as a motivational tactic, because he is irreplaceable on the court at this point. Therefore he chose the closest alternative and questioned his play to the media. Now, benching Rodney is a completely different story...

If you can't take public criticism of your game, then you should not be playing D1 ball.

Although I hesitate to agree to the last sentence -- it is a risky move to call out a player publically as it can easily backfire -- I do share the general sentiment of your post.

It may be that Tubby was just venting out his own frustration. But, I firmly believe that he didn't do it without thinking about its consequences rather carefully beforehand. I can only assume that he ran out of options to motivate the players. In so doing, he picked someone who can take it and move along with it, namely Blake, as Blake has been positive in attitude and predictable in taking certain criticisms. Tubby would not have done it to the other players as they may react negatively to it. However, we will still have to wait and see how it affects the players.

As for his reference to Westbrook and Bostick, I can only guess what he thinks needs to be done. Of course, it doesn't mean that the leaders of the team should be headcases. But, it is not improbable that Tubby wants more aggressive plays (Westbrook), and the leaders demonstrate it.

So, is it a good thing that Tubby did what he did? We will have to watch the next few games to determine that.

It is really funny to me that people will jump all over Ralph Sampson if he plays a good game....but if Hoff plays a mediocre game everyone jumps on Tubby for stating so.

Why is this?
Is it because he is Minnesotan?

Tubby has lost my respect as a Coach. His throwing his players under the bus is a defensive move to try to protect himself. Of all the players he should never throw under the bus is Hoff. Without Hoff, this team would have a losing record. Hoff didn't have any bad shots last night, he just had an off night of shooting. That happens. Tubby is deflecting the real blame, and that's his system. A system that does not improve their players. Any coach in the country would love a raw talent such as Williams, but he shows no signs of improvement at all. Tubby teaches these kids nothing except his "system." What's the purpose of a Coach? To get the most out of his players, depending on their strengths and weaknesses. To better these kids athletically and academically, and turn them into men. Instead, he just wants them to play within his "system" and benches anyone that doesn't do it right. Did you see the first series Chip got last night? He scored on a nice shot. Towards the next time out, you could see Tubby chewing him out about something. After the time out, Chip was back on the bench. And again, can someone explain to me about Tubby's "system" of doing mass freshmen substitutions? I mean now that we have injury issues, I can kind of over look it but even when we had Devoe and Nolen around, Tubby was doing it. It usually was 4 freshmen if you include Mo. What's wrong with substituting one or two freshmen in at a time? I would imagine that would be better for the freshmen too since they can learn better with the veteran players and not just run around like headless chicken with just all freshmen and Iverson. So Tubby, if you wonder why Trevor didn't get more touches... hello, call a time out, tell them to feed the ball to Trevor. You're a coach, act like one!

It is really funny to me that people will jump all over Ralph Sampson if he plays a good game....but if Hoff plays a mediocre game everyone jumps on Tubby for stating so.

Why is this?
Is it because he is Minnesotan?

Perhaps you fail to see the difference between the behavioral requirements for fans on a message board and those of the coach of a major university. The fans pay money to lose it ocassionally. The coach is paid good money to perform and not lose it. No comparison.

Perhaps you fail to see the difference between the behavioral requirements for fans on a message board and those of the coach of a major university. The fans pay money to lose it ocassionally. The coach is paid good money to perform and not lose it. No comparison.

This is why Minnesota sucks as an athletics program. It isn't the AD, it isn't the president. It is people like you that go crazy when Tubby calls out his own players. I am sure that Coach K has never said anything negative about his own players publicly. Nor has Bobby Knight. I am sure Nick Saban is always positive about everything having to do with his players.

Minnesota has a losers mentality as a state when it comes to college sports, and it is threads like this that proves it.
A coach can't call out his own players if he thinks it is the best way to get the players to perform better?

We deserve what we get I guess.

I gotta agree all things being considered, Blake should not have been called out. Tubby probably is frustrated and ended up going in a direction he should not have. With this being the first time he has had 4 losses in a row, against a team the Gophers should have defeated at home no less, his pride probably took a hit as well.

I'm the biggest blake apologist around, but the has been awful lately. Why must we have sacred cows?

Perhaps Blake should just say, "You're right Coach I'm playing bad at PG, so I think I'll shift back to the only position I've ever played in my life up until about 5-6 games ago and not play PG anymore. Thank you for the opportunity."

Where would Tubby be then? Further up a sh*t creek of his own making than he already is.

Perhaps Blake should just say, "You're right Coach I'm playing bad at PG, so I think I'll shift back to the only position I've ever played in my life up until about 5-6 games ago and not play PG anymore. Thank you for the opportunity."

Where would Tubby be then? Further up a sh*t creek of his own making than he already is.

If Blake said that (which he wouldn't) Tubby would do the same thing any other coach would, next man up.

PG Mav
SG Austin
SF Rodney
PF Trevor
C Ralph

Colton and Chip off the bench.

That's my guess as to what he would do anyways.

So I think we should cut Blake a little slack, as he's playing out of position for the good of the team. Because no matter how bad the last 4 games have gone,

PG Mav
SG Austin
SF Rodney
PF Trevor
C Ralph

is a 3 win Big Ten team at best. Maybe only 1 or 2 wins.

Fact of the matter is that Hoff has played pretty putrid since the move to PG. If it is simply that he isn't good enough, I don't think Tubby would be ripping him. Tubby probably knows he is playing far below how he can. At times he is playing scared out there.

He is kind of a nervous nelly trying to bring the ball up the court. He often passes the ball up the court at the slightest pressure rather than dribble as Nolen or any other experienced pg would do unless double teamed.

This is why Minnesota sucks as an athletics program. It isn't the AD, it isn't the president. It is people like you that go crazy when Tubby calls out his own players. I am sure that Coach K has never said anything negative about his own players publicly. Nor has Bobby Knight. I am sure Nick Saban is always positive about everything having to do with his players.

Minnesota has a losers mentality as a state when it comes to college sports, and it is threads like this that proves it.
A coach can't call out his own players if he thinks it is the best way to get the players to perform better?

We deserve what we get I guess.

I couldn't agree with you more. You should hear how much time Weber has ripped on McCamey. Coaches do it all the time.

Top Bottom