Traye Simmons

gopher_alum_2005

Reaction score
A lot of Michael Carter in the 2nd half. Traye was rarely out there. Anyone know what happened?

Yes, BPT should be changed to GUBPT...Give up big play traye....

The reason he wasn't out on the field is he's awful.

He played well. Traye sucks - that is why he was not in there. If Traye can not find a way to blow his coverage assignment, he finds a nice penalty to cough up.

Simmons blew the coverage when the MSU receiver was wide open. Simmons then bit on the run when the QB was scrambling and found the wide open receiver for a TD.

Carter played well. Not great but certainly serviceable for a true freshman. I say stick with Carter and let him get some experience.

I thought Carter was solid.

The secondary as a whole had some bad moments/blown coverages, but overall did a superb job in holding Blair White down.

Big play Traye blew the coverage on the long touchdown pass and then I believe with the blown play where their QB was scrambling around forever and found a wide open guy in the back of the endzone. Good that Brewster benched him.

The second play was another example of a major lack of discipline. There were people ready to get to the QB. BPT's assignment was down field and he left his assignment, I guess to be in on a big QB hit. This same lack of discipline led to many of the stupid penalties.

As stated numerous times Traye got taken out because he was playing very poorly. I didn't even realize he was taken out, but looking back at a certain point we stopped giving up ridiculously wide-open plays in that area of the field and I didn't have to yell at Traye/Royston about it so a good job by Carter to hold that position down.

A disclosure, I'm a Brewster critic, but Carter easing into the lineup in his true frosh season is an example of the 4* recruits we didn't get before the coach got here and points to the possibility that people like me might have to admit we were wrong about the coach at some point. I'm still a sceptic.

Carter was good. He was right with Cunningham (a good receiver) on most plays. I thought it was a great start to hopefully great things for Mr. Carter.

Carter was great. He had lockdown coverage when he was on White who is MSU's #1 receiver. On the passes that did come his way and were caught, he didn't miss tackles like Royston. Holy crap Royston is bad. The MSU receiver jukes and he goes flying past him.

A disclosure, I'm a Brewster critic, but Carter easing into the lineup in his true frosh season is an example of the 4* recruits we didn't get before the coach got here and points to the possibility that people like me might have to admit we were wrong about the coach at some point. I'm still a sceptic.

AK, this is a reasonable and non-inflamatory statement and has no business on a message board. How dare you actually use logic, inteligence and reason in a discussion about Tim Brewster.

All kidding aside, I think most of us had unreasonable expectations of what any first time head coach could accomplish in thier first three years of any program, much less a big ten program. Especially one with ZERO years of Coordinator level experience.

That being said, he can recruit and is getting better as a coach and if we can be patient and get some stability at the OC/DC position for a couple of years...I think Brewster has the chance to be very good and the Gophers have a chance to be a top 3 big ten team year in and out.

We have the recruiter, are gettting better as a coach and we have the facilities to do this...I am excited about the future if we can all just keep our heads and be patient.

Took 50 years to screw this program up...gonna take more than 3 to fix it. JMHO.

"A disclosure, I'm a Brewster critic, but Carter easing into the lineup in his true frosh season is an example of the 4* recruits we didn't get before the coach got here and points to the possibility that people like me might have to admit we were wrong about the coach at some point. I'm still a sceptic."

Classy and mature post. Continuing on this theme Eric Decker went down and 4* Brandon Green steps up, as well as a couple solid athletes who were below the radar in McKnight & Stoudemire. Imagine in a couple years when all these young athletes are mature and experienced and we have the roster stocked with more talented young guys behind them. Then we'll have arrived imo.

Yeah, he SUCKS right now. That Linthecum TD was 100% "BP"T's blown coverage.

"A disclosure, I'm a Brewster critic, but Carter easing into the lineup in his true frosh season is an example of the 4* recruits we didn't get before the coach got here and points to the possibility that people like me might have to admit we were wrong about the coach at some point. I'm still a sceptic."

Classy and mature post. Continuing on this theme Eric Decker went down and 4* Brandon Green steps up, as well as a couple solid athletes who were below the radar in McKnight & Stoudemire. Imagine in a couple years when all these young athletes are mature and experienced and we have the roster stocked with more talented young guys behind them. Then we'll have arrived imo.

AK, this is a reasonable and non-inflamatory statement and has no business on a message board. How dare you actually use logic, inteligence and reason in a discussion about Tim Brewster.

All kidding aside, I think most of us had unreasonable expectations of what any first time head coach could accomplish in thier first three years of any program, much less a big ten program. Especially one with ZERO years of Coordinator level experience.

That being said, he can recruit and is getting better as a coach and if we can be patient and get some stability at the OC/DC position for a couple of years...I think Brewster has the chance to be very good and the Gophers have a chance to be a top 3 big ten team year in and out.

We have the recruiter, are gettting better as a coach and we have the facilities to do this...I am excited about the future if we can all just keep our heads and be patient.

Took 50 years to screw this program up...gonna take more than 3 to fix it. JMHO.

Two excellent posts, the rare occurrence when posters think. It's realistically been "only" 32 years of screwing up, I think the 1977 team was the last "oldstyle" quality team (under Stoll).

Brewster is changing the culture of Minnesota football. Out with the old, in with the new, with a link to to the successful traditions of this program. There are going to be growing pains along the way, but the future is extremely bright. We will look back at this period of time as one of baby steps that lead to...

I figured that Brewster sat Simmons after the Linthicum TD and that's why Carter was out there. In fairness to Simmons, it appeared that Cousins had every intention of running when he did the 180-degree pivot. But there were three guys chasing Cousins and would have gotten to him about three seconds before Simmons if Cousins had decided to tuck the ball and run. So Simmons should have stayed with his guy.

I find that 'he who speaks the loudest about his play on the field, generally doesn't meet his own expectations'

"BIG PLAY" is very average, at best.

I find that 'he who speaks the loudest about his play on the field, generally doesn't meet his own expectations'

"BIG PLAY" is very average, at best.

My opinion, and maybe it's not worth that much, but it seems the BPT does better on man2man assignments where his physical ability helps him a lot, but loses ground on zone assignments when he just seems out of position.

I think it would make a lot of sense to take BPT out on 3rd-and-long.

Our scheme isn't helping BPT or Sherels any. But without a strong pass rush it probably won't change.

Carter was right there and at least forced MSU players to make plays to get receptions rather than be wide open.

On another note, Carter looked bigger than earlier in the year, like he is still growing. He was tiny in those videos last year, and now seems to be gaining size. A year in the weight room will only help!

BPT reminds me of Jamal Harris, the CB who wore #15 before Simmons arrived. Both are/were very poor tacklers. Both were burned for huge plays continually by being fooled by play fakes. Both Simmons and Harris played very soft coverage and very often trying to run WR's down from behind. The fans in my section agree that both of these CB's nickname of TOAST fits them well.
Can't wait till the new talent replaces Simmons permanently. JMHO

BPT reminds me of Jamal Harris, the CB who wore #15 before Simmons arrived. Both are/were very poor tacklers. Both were burned for huge plays continually by being fooled by play fakes. Both Simmons and Harris played very soft coverage and very often trying to run WR's down from behind. The fans in my section agree that both of these CB's nickname of TOAST fits them well.

This might be a bit extreme. I think another MAJOR issue is the fact we have no decent safeties on our team. Theret is constantly getting burned and I still don't know what to think of Royston. Below them I think is Dandridge who was not impressive when I saw him on the field. He is only a soph though. Maybe a rsfreshman

This might be a bit extreme. I think another MAJOR issue is the fact we have no decent safeties on our team. Theret is constantly getting burned and I still don't know what to think of Royston. Below them I think is Dandridge who was not impressive when I saw him on the field. He is only a soph though. Maybe a rsfreshman

Dandridge is a soph. But I agree with you, we need better play at safety. I think what is most troubling is that we are going to be seeing the same thing next year as I doubt Brew will play someone over two Senior Safeties.

Some of you guys don't know what you're talking about. In Man, BPT has been very solid all year, just like last year. The issue is that we're playing a ton of zone this year, probably around 85% and its very clear that BPT isn't comfortable in zone and has a tendency to miss assignments. Remember that this is the same guy that was locking guys down last year when he was allowed to play in his comfort zone which is bump and run or 5 yds off the line. He's clearly not as comfortable in his backpedal or in zone. In fairness to him he probably hasn't played much zone in his life at all. The kid still has potential, its just too bad this is his last year. I do hope he gets a shot at the NFL because he CAN cover people

Some of you guys don't know what you're talking about. In Man, BPT has been very solid all year, just like last year. The issue is that we're playing a ton of zone this year, probably around 85% and its very clear that BPT isn't comfortable in zone and has a tendency to miss assignments. Remember that this is the same guy that was locking guys down last year when he was allowed to play in his comfort zone which is bump and run or 5 yds off the line. He's clearly not as comfortable in his backpedal or in zone. In fairness to him he probably hasn't played much zone in his life at all. The kid still has potential, its just too bad this is his last year. I do hope he gets a shot at the NFL because he CAN cover people

Interesting take. I've been meaning to ask everyone why they thought he was struggling this season since he was so good last year. This would be a plausible explanation.

I will add that I think that BPT will have a good game this Saturday. It's just a feeling. I've noticed that BPT is more of a fighter than people give him credit for being.

are you on something? Simmons and Harris have nothing in common. Simmons has NFL talent and was a huge get in the recruiting battle. He may get toasted once in awhile, usually on a blown assignment not because of lack of skills. His 1 on 1 coverage skills are very good.

Top Bottom