Transition should be complete - Tanner to Athan

Tanner already seemed like an old man out there, and now that he's being hit in the head I don't know what he could possibly bring to the offense anymore. It's going to be really discouraging if he starts another game.

Fleck should have said " no thanks" to Tanner at the end of last year. Really don't understand the man love for him. Had some transfer out after they said he was coming back. Not sure how they are doing but I hated it when they said he was coming back.

Has there been any updates about Tanner?
I was wondering about that, too. What it another concussion? There were others injured - would be good to know what is available about them. Athan should start against NW - it would be a good test game for him. But don't count on it, unless Morgan is still hurting. PJ is stubborn.

This is all true, but Coach Fleck is so pig headed when it comes to Morgan he will never make this change. Morgan has won a lot of games, and deserves all of our respect. That said it is time to pass the torch to Athan, anything less from a 6th year senior would be unbecoming of a team leader. At some point it is the next guy's turn, and we have reached this threshold.
Fleck has already made the decision. Morgan has an undisclosed injury. It will be undisclosed the rest of the season, regardless of when it ends. It's AK.

Should be complete.

Morgan had the best season for a QB in the history of gopher football in 2019. In 2018, 2020, 2021, and this year he was an average qb.

There should be absolutely no issue making the change.

..... but I think Fleck would have made the switch anyway. .....
What have you seen in recent times that would suggest Fleck would do that? Remember, this is the coach with a track record of leaving Morgan in most games when the outcome is well beyond decided.

You're dishonest.

I was wondering about that, too. What it another concussion? There were others injured - would be good to know what is available about them. Athan should start against NW - it would be a good test game for him. But don't count on it, unless Morgan is still hurting. PJ is stubborn.
I’m guessing he took a trip to the hospital again since we didn’t see him on the sideline again.

What have you seen in recent times that would suggest Fleck would do that? Remember, this is the coach with a track record of leaving Morgan in most games when the outcome is well beyond decided.

You're dishonest.

Whatever.

my gut says that Fleck will never "bench" Morgan - or any other starter - based solely for reasons of performance.

once you're a starter, you don't lose that status until you are physically unable to perform, or ruled out by the medical staff.

that holds true for Morgan, MBS, Carroll, or any starter who does not seem to be passing "the eye test."

for Fleck, there is no "eye test." Starters start unless they are ruled out by injury.

ergo: if Morgan is cleared by the medical staff, he will start against Northwestern.
I have a long history of enjoying, respecting, and in large part agreeing with your posts but here I have to disagree. I have a hard time believing Fleck will start players ahead of others who will give us a better chance at success simply because they have already been named a starter. I don’t think Carroll still starts because he’s previously been named the starter. I trust that the staff after watching fall camp and 2/3 of the season believe he’s our best option.

I agree 100% that Athan should take over this year going forward. I hope I’m not naive to think Fleck will think the same.

I'm hoping Tanner is OK but it is obvious that the time for the transition to Athan to take over is from now on out. The offense is much more multi-dimensional with Athan.
If he had a second concussion he is officially out for the season.

I have a long history of enjoying, respecting, and in large part agreeing with your posts but here I have to disagree. I have a hard time believing Fleck will start players ahead of others who will give us a better chance at success simply because they have already been named a starter. I don’t think Carroll still starts because he’s previously been named the starter. I trust that the staff after watching fall camp and 2/3 of the season believe he’s our best option.

I agree 100% that Athan should take over this year going forward. I hope I’m not naive to think Fleck will think the same.
Methinks you are a bit naive.

What are these multiple reasons we could argue about why play calling is restrained with Morgan and less so with Kaliakmanis? I can only see one reason.
Pocket presence, mobility, arm strength...

2018 on the road at Nebraska, ZA gets hurt in the first half, second half TM comes in for the start of his great career.

2022 on the road at Nebraska, TM gets hurt in the first half, second half AK comes in for the start of his great career.

Thank you for everything, Tanner!!

Agree.

Morgan's record is pretty impressive. As a true-blue Gopher fan, I hope Kaliakmanis beats it.

Even if you view them as equal you have to play AK the rest of the way, he needs as many reps as possible heading into next year.

I will never understand this line of thinking. There's still a lot to accomplish yet this season, why are we worried about next year right now? AK getting, or not getting more reps this season doesn't mean he will automatically be better or worse next season. Morgan's best season was his first full season as a starter, and he was almost beat out in fall camp that year. Tanner has had 4 years of reps, yet people are ready to move on.

That being said, AK is clearly the most comfortable QB in our offense currently, and should be the starter for the rest of the season.

I will never understand this line of thinking. There's still a lot to accomplish yet this season, why are we worried about next year right now? AK getting, or not getting more reps this season doesn't mean he will automatically be better or worse next season. Morgan's best season was his first full season as a starter, and he was almost beat out in fall camp that year. Tanner has had 4 years of reps, yet people are ready to move on.

That being said, AK is clearly the most comfortable QB in our offense currently, and should be the starter for the rest of the season.

Are they worried that Kaliakmanis won't be "ready" for next year? I don't get it, either.

Getting the reps lets the staff if he is indeed the qb of the future.

The more he plays, the more they know.

He is probably going to have a crap game somewhere as he is a freshman. How does he handle it? How well does he come back the following week, etc.

Agree.

Morgan's record is pretty impressive. As a true-blue Gopher fan, I hope Kaliakmanis beats it.
Morgan’s 2019 was very impressive. Outside of that he had a pretty good W/L record but has been an average QB

my gut says that Fleck will never "bench" Morgan - or any other starter - based solely for reasons of performance.

once you're a starter, you don't lose that status until you are physically unable to perform, or ruled out by the medical staff.

that holds true for Morgan, MBS, Carroll, or any starter who does not seem to be passing "the eye test."

for Fleck, there is no "eye test." Starters start unless they are ruled out by injury.

ergo: if Morgan is cleared by the medical staff, he will start against Northwestern.
I will be pretty disappointed if Fleck starts Morgan again over a healthy Athan.

Getting the reps lets the staff if he is indeed the qb of the future.

The more he plays, the more they know.

He is probably going to have a crap game somewhere as he is a freshman. How does he handle it? How well does he come back the following week, etc.
Yep. Nothing can replace/duplicate actual gametime and those reps. I don't get those who can't understand it. Same people argue the value of the month of practices for a bowl game.

2018 on the road at Nebraska, ZA gets hurt in the first half, second half TM comes in for the start of his great career.

2022 on the road at Nebraska, TM gets hurt in the first half, second half AK comes in for the start of his great career.

Thank you for everything, Tanner!!

Good recall! I don't think ZA never starting again after that replacement was a function of a long-term injury.

Morgan’s 2019 was very impressive. Outside of that he had a pretty good W/L record but has been an average QB

We can each have our own opinion about whether his record is poor, average or better than that, but in the end the record is made up of numbers, and I would love to see Kaliakmanis surpass those numbers.

Yep. Nothing can replace/duplicate actual gametime and those reps. I don't get those who can't understand it. Same people argue the value of the month of practices for a bowl game.

Are you worried about Kaliakmanis being ready?

Top Bottom