Transition should be complete - Tanner to Athan

Many, including me, said this after Penn State.
Said it live watching the first drive of that game. Even though it wasn’t pretty, he played far far better than what his final stat line said. We’ll need a qb who can wing it much more next year so get him the reps. He’s the present and future

I've converted. Offense was night and day when AK took over in the second half. Part of that might have been because the Huskers hadn't gameplanned for him....but I've seen what I need to see. My main concern prior was that AK wouldn't be as polished as Morgan when slinging the ball. And while that still may be true....AK can throw accurately. He proved that he's ready right now.

I've converted. Offense was night and day when AK took over in the second half. Part of that might have been because the Huskers hadn't gameplanned for him....but I've seen what I need to see. My main concern prior was that AK wouldn't be as polished as Morgan when slinging the ball. And while that still may be true....AK can throw accurately. He proved that he's ready right now.
When AK took the opening drive, he was rushed and threw the ball away. I kept thinking Morgan may have been sacked. Then he hit Spann Ford with a 7 yard dart while a guy came untouched, and again I thought Morgan may have been killed.

It's the right thing to do. Move on. You could tell the receivers had a bounce in their step with AK out there.

Play AK going forward and give Morgan a massive standing ovation before the Iowa game.

Tanner knows the offense really well and is a seasoned semi-pro. But, for reasons we can argue about, KC and PJ call a more constrained (and therefore easier to defense) offense when Tanner at the helm. AK is a more credible threat to run; he seems quite comfortable to roll out and throw a dart on the run, which helps against a huge pass rush; the coaches seem more likely to have him throw downfield, too. It is tougher for a defense to defend AK, because we use more of the field with him than with Tanner.

It won’t be all roses. AK will make some mistakes going forward that are from inexperience, mistakes that Tanner wouldn't make. It will be a long time before AK has the Vulcan Mind Meld with PJ that Tanner has. And, once teams like IA and WI have a chance to study and gameplan against AK, he might not seem such an upgrade over Tanner. But at this point AK is the future. Give him a couple of trophy games under his belt before we open 2023 post-Mo.

Last edited:

Even if you view them as equal you have to play AK the rest of the way, he needs as many reps as possible heading into next year.
I'd say even if you DON'T view them as equal.

Personally, i think AK will make more mistakes, but also make more plays. Not sure if the final tally of those mistakes and plays ends up plus or minus, but I dont care. For the record i think it'll be plus.

Tanner knows the offense really well and is a seasoned semi-pro. But, for reasons we can argue about, KC and PJ call a more constrained (and therefore easier to defense) offense when Tanner at the helm. AK is a more credible threat to run; he seems quite comfortable to roll out and throw a dart on then run, which helps against a huge pass rush; the coaches seem more likely to have him throw downfield, too. It is tougher for a defense to defend AK, because we use more of the field with him than with Tanner.

AK will make some mistakes going forward that are from inexperience, mistakes that Tanner probably wouldn't have made. It will be a long time before AK has the Vulcan Mind Meld with PJ that Tanner has. And, once teams like IA and WI have a chance to study and gameplay against AK, he might not seem such an upgrade over Tanner. But at this point AK is the future. Give him a couple of trophy games under his belt before we open 2023 post-Mo.
What are these multiple reasons we could argue about why play calling is restrained with Morgan and less so with Kaliakmanis? I can only see one reason.

Will Dad bench his son
Time will tell.
Will Dad bench his son
Time will tell.

This is the only real question. Should have been done earlier this season in my opinion. Hopefully PJ can have a tough conversation with himself for breakfast and realized AK is the only way to go from here on out.

When AK took the opening drive, he was rushed and threw the ball away. I kept thinking Morgan may have been sacked. Then he hit Spann Ford with a 7 yard dart while a guy came untouched, and again I thought Morgan may have been killed.

It's the right thing to do. Move on. You could tell the receivers had a bounce in their step with AK out there.

Play AK going forward and give Morgan a massive standing ovation before the Iowa game.
This is all true, but Coach Fleck is so pig headed when it comes to Morgan he will never make this change. Morgan has won a lot of games, and deserves all of our respect. That said it is time to pass the torch to Athan, anything less from a 6th year senior would be unbecoming of a team leader. At some point it is the next guy's turn, and we have reached this threshold.

my gut says that Fleck will never "bench" Morgan - or any other starter - based solely for reasons of performance.

once you're a starter, you don't lose that status until you are physically unable to perform, or ruled out by the medical staff.

that holds true for Morgan, MBS, Carroll, or any starter who does not seem to be passing "the eye test."

for Fleck, there is no "eye test." Starters start unless they are ruled out by injury.

ergo: if Morgan is cleared by the medical staff, he will start against Northwestern.

Ummmmm... didn't Fleck insert Kaliakmanis TODAY? Or was I hallucinating?

That was Targeting on the play Morgan was hurt on. Doesn't it seem like Nebraska gets away with targeting against Gophers every season. I hate the Huskers and always will. After 83 to 13 I will always cheer against Nebraska. NEBRASKA defender launched himself into Morgan's face mask.

Last edited:

Ummmmm... didn't Fleck insert Kaliakmanis TODAY? Or was I hallucinating?
coming out of the halftime, Fleck said that Morgan was unavailable due to an "unspecified injury." I take that to mean that the medical staff made the decision. It wasn't a case of the coach saying "you're not playing well, so I'm putting someone else in the game."

coming out of the halftime, Fleck said that Morgan was unavailable due to an "unspecified injury." I take that to mean that the medical staff made the decision. It wasn't a case of the coach saying "you're not playing well, so I'm putting someone else in the game."

Okay... if you say so.

Top Bottom