TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

I don't understand why certain good athletes transfer when adversity faces them. Work hard, adapt his game, and show coach what he can do on the court. I understand personal reasons, but if he's transfering because he feels he can't fit the system then goodbye. I would want someone that is willing to take the challenge.

I guess I don't see why he can't fit as the 3rd guard or even a few minutes at 4 if we're going with a small line-up. If Pitino's just being honest that he won't see major minutes and he wants to go, OK. But we're looking at 11 players for next season and open scholarships up the wazoo. I don't get it.

This team needs to become more mentally tough. Very few, if any of our players last season were mentally tough. Joe in particular never stepped up when we needed him to. Really, outside of the first Illinois game, he never stepped up his game at all. One thing I think Pitino is going to do is bring in tough, gritty, and mentally strong players. The kinds of players that won't allow a bad loss to snowball. This is something that McNeil is known for. I am disappointed to see Joe go because I think Pitino could have really helped his all around game, but he probably wasn't in the top 3-5 players I most wanted to stay. For those that are going to want names I'd probably list them in this order ... Dre, Buggs, Austin, EE, and Wally. Joe would have probably been 6th.

Joe has a lot of athletic talent, but he is a marginal shooter at best. I'm not sure I understand why he doesn't think he would fit into a three guard line-up. He is not big enough to play small forward and if he has aspirations to play pro basketball, it will be as a guard. My biggest concern is how this departure is read by other MN recruits.
Why would his leaving effect other local kids unless they were friends? Seems like these local kids all have their "dream schools" anyhow and that ain't us. Pitino is in charge of changing that perception and I believe he will. I hope Coleman does well where ever he goes. He always gave great effort and represented the U well on and off the court.

Rumor has it these rumors aren't true.

You sure about that Matt? I am not the type that just throws stuff up. I wouldn't have made up this rumor. It came from a very good local AAU source that would know.

Getting really sick of all the unsubstantiated speculation that Coleman wants out. Seems like a lot of "fans" want him to leave. How about we wait for some reports from an actual source before we start discussing any of this crap.

Again, most of the rumors weren't "unsubstantiated" as he's wanted out for a while. Some just chose to ignore the rumors, but they've been there for some time (not just this offseason) but its reached a boiling point.

My best guess:

The rumors are mixed up. Someone heard about Halvorsen, things got confused, and they conflated the rumor to include a scholarship player.

I don't think any transfer will happen but people are too quick to hammer Pewterschmidt. If a transfer happened now, it would have to be for one of two reasons:

1. the player knew he wasn't going to play or the coach desired him to leave. This could lead to Mav or Oto but they likely know the markets for their skill sets (low D-1 or D-2).

2. the player is not happy with the new coach and is good enough to choose a new school. Unfortunately this could fit Dre (but not Ausitn unless he has graduated). If he left, he would have to redshirt but would be able to land at a top 10 program for the next 3 years.

Again, before you rip me, I don't believe any transfer is coming and think the Halvorsen "transfer" has morped inot a new rumor, but Dre makes the most sense at this time.

Wrong, the AAU coach knew that Halvorsen already left. This is a new transfer rumor.

He would stay here if Tubby was still here...along with the two commits we just lost.

Lets face it, Joe didn't have many options and Tubby waited until the last minute to go after him. Look at Foster (Who we didn't lose, we told to go away) he is not getting much attention.

Good Luck Joe! We will not miss your turnovers, inability to handle the basketball, weak defense, and your poor shot. It is too bad the Tubby regime did not help you develop as a player.
You are an athletic talent but your lack of skill will not cut it in Pitino's system......Fred H and hard work by YOU possibly at Iowa State will help you reach your potential

Wow...so this is what we get when we fire Tubby.....our recruits leave and now we lose Coleman. Program is in great shape...this is BS!

I'm sure Tubby among other Big Ten schools will be standing in line for Joe. Pitino better talk him out of it! We will already have one of (Tubby's) former commits playing against us.

You really need to give it up. In the LONG term, do you think we are better off with or without Tubby? I'll admit, I about did a back-flip when we hired him! (and I'm damn near 300 lbs!). It just didn't materialize.

Now, I like Joe, but I'll make you a bet. He goes to another B1G school and I'll stop posting....he goes anywhere else....you stop posting. Deal??

Man, some people get nasty (speaking re: Twitter as well as here). Whether he stays or goes, my sense is that Joe Coleman has been a hard working guy who has done what's been asked of him.

Transfers are commonplace and the reasons can be very complex or quite simple. If he wants to leave, why not just wish him well and look forward vs. some of the odd bashing that goes on?

If the guy was out on a crime spree, posting a 1.4 gpa or screaming, "**** this dumb school and its fans!" then OK.. maybe a different story. But, sheesh.

(I've got thoughts on the impact to 2013-14 if Coleman were to leave, but I'll hold off for now... hint: the roster's issue was and will continue to be a good rebounder/defender inside)

Again, most of the rumors weren't "unsubstantiated" as he's wanted out for a while. Some just chose to ignore the rumors, but they've been there for some time (not just this offseason) but its reached a boiling point.

Do you know why?

Joe would have a place on this team. Maybe not 25 mns but he'd certainly get PT. however if not he has the holes in his game to blame. Love his toughness and physicality but at 6'4" you need skill too

I remember this rumor last year too....

You really need to give it up. In the LONG term, do you think we are better off with or without Tubby? I'll admit, I about did a back-flip when we hired him! (and I'm damn near 300 lbs!). It just didn't materialize.

Now, I like Joe, but I'll make you a bet. He goes to another B1G school and I'll stop posting....he goes anywhere else....you stop posting. Deal??

Best of luck to Joe. Of the existing players, I suspect that Wally can replicate or exceed in Pitino's system what we are losing. Best to have full buy-in when there is a coaching change, even if it means losing some depth in the first year

Pitino's system requires players with some basic skills. They have to be able to handle the ball, shoot the ball, and hawk the ball on defense. Coleman is a good athlete but never developed as a player. I will be shocked if Mav and walker don't follow Coleman out the door. Those players also do not fit the profile.

Man, some people get nasty (speaking re: Twitter as well as here). Whether he stays or goes, my sense is that Joe Coleman has been a hard working guy who has done what's been asked of him.

Transfers are commonplace and the reasons can be very complex or quite simple. If he wants to leave, why not just wish him well and look forward vs. some of the odd bashing that goes on?

If the guy was out on a crime spree, posting a 1.4 gpa or screaming, "**** this dumb school and its fans!" then OK.. maybe a different story. But, sheesh.

(I've got thoughts on the impact to 2013-14 if Coleman were to leave, but I'll hold off for now... hint: the roster's issue was and will continue to be a good rebounder/defender inside)

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I don't have any ill will towards Joe, I wish it had worked out better here, and I hope he lands somewhere that he can shine. I'm disappointed that it sounds like it may not be as a Gopher. If he could just improve his jumper, he could be a very good player... it hasn't happened yet, but hopefully it will happen wherever he does end up. Or possibly, as a Gopher, since nothing is official yet.

Objectively I can think that this may not hurt the team too much, but he's a home-grown guy and generally seems like a good kid. I wish it had worked out better for him, it's always especially sad to see those guys go.

Joe plays pretty hard and seems like a good kid, but he doesn't have a jumper, he's a poor ball handler, he plays below average defense..but he can slash a little bit.

Unless he improves his shooting and handles he's going to have a hard time fitting in any system. Best of luck to him.

I don't often agree with you GW, but this was well put.

You're not going to lay a bomb on the board and tell us we're looking for a PF are you?

What? Never said that. I'm really pissed he's going....not bashing Joe. He would stay here if Tubby was still here...along with the two commits we just lost.

There were constantly rumors that Joe Coleman was going to leave with Tubby here.

Your argument seems to be that we should have kept Tubby because not having Tubby cost us Joe Coleman. That's asanine. If you wanted Tubby to stay, it should have nothing to do with Joe Coleman. Tubby is either the right guy or the wrong guy for the job. We get it, you like Tubby. However, I doubt you would have been calling for Tubby's head had Coleman added to that long list of guys to transfer while he was coaching. The point is that Coleman leaving doesn't validate or subtract anything from the coaching change decision.

I get it though, we can all expect that anytime something goes wrong here you will chime in about how great the world of Gopher basketball would have been if Tubby hadn't been canned.

I think that any way you slice it, it is a loss, and a fairly big one. The opinion of him has really changed in the last 24 hours. He is easily a high major player, maybe not a 30 minute a game player, but I would be shocked if he does not find himself in the rotation at a big school a year and a half from now. Sad to see him go, hope Pitino has a good replacement plan...

I think that any way you slice it, it is a loss, and a fairly big one. The opinion of him has really changed in the last 24 hours. He is easily a high major player, maybe not a 30 minute a game player, but I would be shocked if he does not find himself in the rotation at a big school a year and a half from now. Sad to see him go, hope Pitino has a good replacement plan...

Yeah, only a few people seem to be ripping the kid though. I mean, I don't understand his decision, but that's because I realize that he'd be a a signficant part of what we're doing. He would see a lot of playing time and he'd likely be a starter in 2014, so yeah. . . he is a big loss. I agree with you.

Pitino's system requires players with some basic skills. They have to be able to handle the ball, shoot the ball, and hawk the ball on defense. Coleman is a good athlete but never developed as a player. I will be shocked if Mav and walker don't follow Coleman out the door. Those players also do not fit the profile.

I'd be shocked if Mav did leave. He'll be a Senior. Pitino's system requires 5-6 guards & we have 4. Dre, Mathieu, Austin & Mav. McNeil out of necessity will have to see some court time as well. If anything, I think Mav's stock just rose because now he doesn't have to be the 2nd ball handler. Now he can be a transition player & 3 point shooter. Much better role for him & plenty of minutes for 4-5 guards.

Joe Coleman was one player I was looking forward to watching playing in this new running game. He was a good finisher on the fast break. I was hoping he would be able to play at that high level he teased us with those few games last season. But, if there was one player I yelled at the most last season, it was Joe Coleman. He was constantly out of position on defense, was beat often to basket and seemed mentally checked out of many games. Whether that was Tubby or Joe, I am not sure. I personally wanted him on the bench more often than the court - JMO. I wish him well if he leaves. But I am excited at the thought of Wally getting more minutes and seeing what he can do.

Top Bottom