TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

I'd be shocked if Mav did leave. He'll be a Senior. Pitino's system requires 5-6 guards & we have 4. Dre, Mathieu, Austin & Mav. McNeil out of necessity will have to see some court time as well. If anything, I think Mav's stock just rose because now he doesn't have to be the 2nd ball handler. Now he can be a transition player & 3 point shooter. Much better role for him & plenty of minutes for 4-5 guards.

You being one of the more perceptive posters, your comment surprises me. McNeil is our 2nd quickest player and ball hawk. No?

There's an ongoing contest to see which poster can get the most + points from their posts. The winner will get an all expense paid trip to Moorhead to hang out with Dr. Don for a week. Station19 is in the lead by a bunch because he always gets +19 scores instead of +1.

The idea of Morehead has some appeal.:rolleyes:

If we don't see Joe in a Gopher uniform again, I appreciate the two years of hard work, the outburst against Illinois and especially the two CLUTCH free throws vs Wisky to get us to that OT win

No reason to bash the kid, he's done some good things for us and he definitely would have been a contributor his JR and SR year as well. If Pitino wants him around, hopefully he can put a hard sell on tomorrow and get him to stay

If we don't see Joe in a Gopher uniform again, I appreciate the two years of hard work, the outburst against Illinois and especially the two CLUTCH free throws vs Wisky to get us to that OT win

No reason to bash the kid, he's done some good things for us and he definitely would have been a contributor his JR and SR year as well. If Pitino wants him around, hopefully he can put a hard sell on tomorrow and get him to stay

No hard sell needed. I like Joe and hope he stays. But we need guys that really want to be here. If he isn't all in regardless of playing time, then it is time to move on. We will be fine either way.

After a little more thought on this- this sure looks like an opportunity for Pitino to grab Malik Smith to fill the hole yet retain the scholarship for the 2013 group. If we add Buckles and Smith, Pitino would essentially be putting his chips on signing a big 5 man 2013 class which would tell us a lot about where we are heading for the coming four years.

No hard sell needed. I like Joe and hope he stays. But we need guys that really want to be here. If he isn't all in regardless of playing time, then it is time to move on. We will be fine either way.

After a little more thought on this- this sure looks like an opportunity for Pitino to grab Malik Smith to fill the hole yet retain the scholarship for the 2013 group. If we add Buckles and Smith, Pitino would essentially be putting his chips on signing a big 5 man 2013 class which would tell us a lot about where we are heading for the coming four years.

Sad to see Joe go and wish him well. That said, its not a death blow for us by any means. Joe's big areas of weakness were shooting and ball handling. Its tough as a guard to have both of those areas as rooms for improvement. He is athletic and has potential to improve a lot, so its certainly a hit to depth, but its not a huge loss considering the other players we are bringing in... to me, it would be been more damaging had the transfer been Austin, Andre or Elliot (yest, Elliot)

Joe would have been the third best player on the team. He also would have added experience having played big time minutes in the Big Ten its a huge loss either way you spin it.

Man, some people get nasty (speaking re: Twitter as well as here). Whether he stays or goes, my sense is that Joe Coleman has been a hard working guy who has done what's been asked of him.

Transfers are commonplace and the reasons can be very complex or quite simple. If he wants to leave, why not just wish him well and look forward vs. some of the odd bashing that goes on?

If the guy was out on a crime spree, posting a 1.4 gpa or screaming, "**** this dumb school and its fans!" then OK.. maybe a different story. But, sheesh.

Finally, someone with a little common sense. Thank you, GW, and best of luck to Joe (if he's truly transferring).

Bottom line, Joe knew his minutes would be limited in Coach P's offense due to the skill he struggles with the most...ball handling. Its too bad, but every coach has a system players will and won't work in. I just think Joe knew this would be a tougher system for him to get major minutes in. That being said, I'll miss him and wish him nothing but the best. Any chance he could go the D2 route? I know that would be a BIG step down, but he would certainly flourish at that level and if playing time is the issue, it wouldn't be there.

I guess I don't see why he can't fit as the 3rd guard or even a few minutes at 4 if we're going with a small line-up. If Pitino's just being honest that he won't see major minutes and he wants to go, OK. But we're looking at 11 players for next season and open scholarships up the wazoo. I don't get it.

I think I'm starting to. Tubby left the team with 11 players. Next year at this time, I believe no more than 4 will be left. Relatively speaking, Coach P. has an endless supply of scholarships. His running scheme in the B1G will work, but requires handpicked players that fit his system. This roster is being built to win ASAP, which I completely support. I supported Tubby to the bitter end, because I felt he gave us the best chance to win right now. IMO Coach P. is now giving us a much better chance to win right now.

Having watched Joe for 2 years and having watched Louisville play under Rick Pitino for years, I think the new system is perfectly suited for Joe's game(assuming most or all of Papa Pitino's system is brought to MN). One or both parties are missing the boat here.

This isn't the end of the world but the team is worse off the next year (withholding judgement on 2014-2015 to see what else is brought in) without Joe on the team.

Joe better be very careful in selecting a new program because his game only works in certain styles. A walk-it-up half court offense relying on ball movement certainly isn't one of them.

Man, some people get nasty (speaking re: Twitter as well as here)

I checked twitter and people weren't getting very nasty at all, couple knuckle heads, but not many. Maybe more after today, if he does indeed transfer. I'm not overly wishing him well or holding a grudge. He gave us a couple good years, but he has indeed wanted to leave for a long time (as a starter in his home state), that's unfortunate.

I hope he and Richard have a good talk and he changes his mind. Not expecting that though.

look forward vs. some of the odd bashing that goes on?

Strange comment from you considering all the odd bashing you had for Mbakwe.

Having watched Joe for 2 years and having watched Louisville play under Rick Pitino for years, I think the new system is perfectly suited for Joe's game(assuming most or all of Papa Pitino's system is brought to MN). One or both parties are missing the boat here.

This isn't the end of the world but the team is worse off the next year (withholding judgement on 2014-2015 to see what else is brought in) without Joe on the team.

Joe better be very careful in selecting a new program because his game only works in certain styles. A walk-it-up half court offense relying on ball movement certainly isn't one of them.

IMO both parties know exactly what they are doing, and are making the right decision.

"Say it ain't so, Joe"

I am bummed out if Joe does in fact leave. Not because there are no other MN kids on the team, but I thought he could flourish under Pitino's system. He seemed to have the work ethic you like to see in kids and improved each year he was here. If Joe does in fact leave the program, I wish him the best of luck and hopes he continues working on his game.

If Joe is indeed transferring I wish him good luck! Good kid who worked pretty hard from the start.

Richard won't be running Louisville's offense, it will be similar to Florida's offense. A lot of pick and rolls and 3 point shots, niether of which fit Joe's game. I also don't see Joe as a great player to have in a pressing defensive system. He can jump, but he's not that quick for a guard. I'm sure Joe would've been great when our press works and gives us a fast break, but that won't happen all game every game, especially in the big ten. We'll still have to be able to execute in the halfcourt.

I'm not trying to bash Joe, I just think the people who are saying he's a great fit for what Pitino wants to do are wrong. I'm sure this split was mutual as Doogie said.

One week ago, May 7, Joe created a LinkedIn profile that listed his education as U M Twin Cities, 2011-2015 (expected). One week later he is transferring. It makes you wonder what happened in one week.

Joe should've played football. Perfect build for an LB or a big safety

Joe's far from perfect (especially with his off-the-ball defense - ugh), but he has been productive. One factor that bothers me is that with the lack of options inside, we will likely see some 4 guard lineups along the way. Purely from a strength standpoint, Joe is much better equipped to match up with power forwards for short stretches that any of our other perimeter players. Plus, it's a lot harder to lose track of your man when he's anchored to the block.

Joe would have been the third best player on the team. He also would have added experience having played big time minutes in the Big Ten its a huge loss either way you spin it.
No it's not. You realize how much it shrinks the floor when you have a wing who can't shot? His ballhandling was not very good. He is too small to guard bigs and too slow to cover wings. He also seeme to lead the world in getting his shot blocked. A good role player at times. But this is probably addition by subtraction.

If Joe is not a solid Gopher then its time for him to move on. He has had a taste of Pitino's system and it appears he doesn't like it. And maybe RP has made it clear that Joe may see less PT due to his skill set.

Transfers with a new coach on the scene is expected so this wouldn't be a bad mark on the program.

It will be interesting to see who Pitino can find to fill the roster spot.

I am bummed out if Joe does in fact leave. Not because there are no other MN kids on the team, but I thought he could flourish under Pitino's system. He seemed to have the work ethic you like to see in kids and improved each year he was here. If Joe does in fact leave the program, I wish him the best of luck and hopes he continues working on his game.

Could not agree more. I don't understand the thinking of some people on here saying we're better off without him, Pitino must not have wanted him etc. It's never good to lose a kid who started, and contributed on a decent Big Ten team as a sophomore. Joe made huge strides from his FR to SO year, and seemed to have the work ethic and skills (ESPN 100 recruit, #1 MN player in his class) to continue to develop.

I'm reserving judgement on Pitino at least until his first season is over, but I really don't like the way this spring has turned out. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now though.

It's hard to say for sure that he would be our third best player. Of our current roster, he contributed the most last year aside from Hollins & Hollins, but it's hard to predict who will be what in 2013-2014. I could not agree more about the Big Ten experience though. I can't see how losing a guy who averaged 9 pts per game as a sophomore playing in the Big Ten is addition by subraction, as some are saying.

Could not agree more. I don't understand the thinking of some people on here saying we're better off without him, Pitino must not have wanted him etc. It's never good to lose a kid who started, and contributed on a decent Big Ten team as a sophomore. Joe made huge strides from his FR to SO year, and seemed to have the work ethic and skills (ESPN 100 recruit, #1 MN player in his class) to continue to develop.

I'm reserving judgement on Pitino at least until his first season is over, but I really don't like the way this spring has turned out. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now though.

Agreed. Getting two FIU players and a JUCO while losing Coleman isn't a great way to start things off.

Agreed. Getting two FIU players and a JUCO while losing Coleman isn't a great way to start things off.

IMO, our back court has now significantly improved in terms of speed and skill. I do wish Coleman wasn't on the way out, as he is a tremendous athlete with the ability to get up and down the floor and you always hate to lose a hometown boy. But, the players we brought in are (again, in my opinion) faster/quicker, better ball handlers, and better shooters...which is something you want out of your guards.

Now I'll admit that I haven't seen the new incomers play yet, but I do feel that they can contribute at a level that is either par with, or exceeding that of Joe Coleman's. JC did make some nice plays last year, but he also had some 'WTF' moments. Do I expect the new guys to play perfectly, of course not. But I think their skill sets are better suited for Pitino's system than what Coleman's were (emphasis on better, because I do think Coleman could have done well in Rich's system)

Count me as bummed. I like Joe and hope the best for him where ever he plays but this move mystifies me. I would have thought he would fit into the Pitino method.

So we lose Joe and keep Oto? I just cannot see how this can be good.

:(

First year under a coach is always a massive transition. Players that were recruited by the old guy leave on their own. Some are run off by the new coach (happens in all major sports, most recently it happened when Kill came in). What is going on is nothing out of the ordinary, people just need to give Pitino some time to do his thing and see what happens.

Sucks losing the final Minnesota kid. I'm not really that hung up on it or anything, but it's just kind sad to see the one D-1 state school not have anybody from here on it. Hopefully we can re-fill back in some great Minnesota talent in the coming years.

If Joe looked at the offense and him and Pitino didn't see the fit, then by all means, make the move. I thought he'd be better in this than he was with Tubby, but I guess that's not necessarily saying a ton. I wish him all the best, hopefully he can land somewhere decent.

Without getting into the whole this is good/bad for him/us, I liked Joe and his effort and hussle. Hate to see him go and wish him nothing but the best.

Top Bottom