Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

There have been some rumblings Jaden Walley (Justin's older brother) isn't super happy at Miss St. I think he has a ton of upside at the WR spot.

I will say with CrAB back and Dylan showing signs of life with AK I feel a little better about that group.

I actually think what we need most is a consistent pass rush expert. Feels like Mertz and Petras had too much time the last few weeks.
Keep in mind the number of times we only rushed three those games. I actually think the pass rush improved throughout the year and while the sack numbers didn’t show we did force quite a few early throws and pressures. I think the d line improves next year even without a transfer. That said, an impact player should be taken if there is one interested in coming here.

Keep in mind the number of times we only rushed three those games. I actually think the pass rush improved throughout the year and while the sack numbers didn’t show we did force quite a few early throws and pressures. I think the d line improves next year even without a transfer. That said, an impact player should be taken if there is one interested in coming here.
Yep, we played coverage much more than most teams and we were fantastic on third downs. I wish we would have gotten more sacks, but I actually liked what I saw in Striggow and Joyner.

Let's not forget about Daniel Jackson and Lemeke! Jackson was likely our best WR this year
This is what I think too. I have a higher opinion of Jackson than others seem to. What if our WR's didn't look as good as they could have because they were basically limited by the type of passes Tanner could make.

Let's not forget about Daniel Jackson and Lemeke! Jackson was likely our best WR this year

Jackson turned it on later in the year and became the clear #1 WR along with BSF at TE. He had a small handful of drops, but had way more clutch catches and plays. I believe he started the year injured, so that may have slowed him down to start. I'm hoping he starts healthy and strong next year.

Will also be interested to see if MBS stays with us in the offseason. I wouldn't mind clearing up a spot if he decides to depart...

I'm assuming he's going to the NFL, but adding Hunter Luepke from NDSU as a power back to offset the young guns would be awesome.
Speaking of which, anyone have any thoughts on why NDSU players that are capable dont come to us? NDSU should be our farm system, as well as SD and SDSU. Seems like it wouldn’t be a stretch to think that there are half a dozen or so kids that are worthy each year form our geographic region.

Speaking of which, anyone have any thoughts on why NDSU players that are capable dont come to us? NDSU should be our farm system, as well as SD and SDSU. Seems like it wouldn’t be a stretch to think that there are half a dozen or so kids that are worthy each year form our geographic region.
Honestly, I think they have a great culture there (within the team) and they don't see it as a step up in the same way we see it.

Honestly, I think they have a great culture there (within the team) and they don't see it as a step up in the same way we see it.
Exactly. The team wins all the time. They have an engaged fan base. They contend for championships every season. They're the biggest fish in a small pond.

And honestly, except for the weather, Fargo isn't a bad city to live in. Now the other three Dakota schools are in much less pleasant towns to live in.

You're assuming that they are considering MN or have a connection. I would Kansas State would have a better shot at NDSU players. I would think FBS teams closer to their hometowns would have better shots at players. Maybe if they are from Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have a shot.

NDSU puts guys directly into the NFL. They can play there and still make the NFL

You're assuming that they are considering MN or have a connection. I would Kansas State would have a better shot at NDSU players. I would think FBS teams closer to their hometowns would have better shots at players. Maybe if they are from Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have a shot.

NDSU puts guys directly into the NFL. They can play there and still make the NFL
A quick look at the roster shows 36 kids from Minnesota or Minnesota high schools* on the NDSU roster. That's a lot. That said, many are from smaller towns, where they may feel more comfortable in Fargo than the Twin Cities. Some are from NW Minnesota, where the Bison are the hometown team far more than the Gophers.

* I realized this sounded confusing. They have one player listed with Fargo as a hometown, but played for Moorhead HS. One kid from Moorhead played for Fargo Shanley, which is the Catholic high school up there.

I just don't see the need for a transfer RB. That is the one position where you can contribute right away as a freshman. Two of our top 3 recruits are currently RBs, we have Evans as a freshman this year, and it's likely both Potts and Williams return.

I feel the same way about the DL. We were young there this year and still have a lot of young talent that hasn't played much yet. I think the lack of pass rush had more to do with Rush not being able to get it done as a full time pas rusher and he'll be replaced. Joyner has flashed a number of times.

We added 1 WR already which is good. I think adding an OL or two is possible. I think this staff likes the young safeties and corners, and it's one of the reasons Glaze already moved on. Maybe they add one there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either.

They're the biggest fish in a small pond.
Every year there are at least a couple of dozen MN kids playing for NDSU... I looked at the 2022 roster and stopped counting at 25... there's a lot of 'em! A bunch of WI kids, too. There's definitely a connection to MN... unless most of those players are a lil' miffed at being passed up here.

NDSU is definitely a big fish in that small pond... but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the new fish swimming around, if allowed to grow, couldn't keep some of those players home. I think that, when their probationary period has been completed, St. Thomas is gonna get asked politely to leave the Pioneer League for football... and it'll be time to fight with NDSU in that little pond (MVFC.)

Every year there are at least a couple of dozen MN kids playing for NDSU... I looked at the 2022 roster and stopped counting at 25... there's a lot of 'em! A bunch of WI kids, too. There's definitely a connection to MN... unless most of those players are a lil' miffed at being passed up here.

NDSU is definitely a big fish in that small pond... but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the new fish swimming around, if allowed to grow, couldn't keep some of those players home. I think that, when their probationary period has been completed, St. Thomas is gonna get asked politely to leave the Pioneer League for football... and it'll be time to fight with NDSU in that little pond (MVFC.)
The other thing too, why a kid might choose a smaller school is they may have a better chance of getting to play sooner/more. I know if it were up to me, I'd rather be playing at a FCS or lower school than riding the bench at a B1G school.

We need :

A DE that can create a pass rush.

A LB that can clog the running lanes but cover the middle of the field in passing situations.

A starting OG / C that can stop the blitz on passing downs.

Those 3 areas need a "really good insert them into the starting lineup" type transfer.

Every other spot in the field is, IMHO, in good shape.

Think he was playing hurt toward the end of the season. Need a depth reboot this offseason and through portal.

Yeah he showed up in the snap counts and grades on GI after the Sconny game. I was under the impression he was out for the year.

I'm kind of surprised so many people don't think we need a RB. Is it because Irving and Thomas filled in so well last year?

We were awful running the ball this year with anyone other than Mo. To me, it feels like so much of our offense is and will continue to be based on the running game, I'd hate to put all of my chips into the basket of an incoming recruit or a FR who looked good in garbage time.

Evans could very well be Irving but he's still an unknown.

I'm kind of surprised so many people don't think we need a RB. Is it because Irving and Thomas filled in so well last year?

We were awful running the ball this year with anyone other than Mo. To me, it feels like so much of our offense is and will continue to be based on the running game, I'd hate to put all of my chips into the basket of an incoming recruit or a FR who looked good in garbage time.

Evans could very well be Irving but he's still an unknown.

Would you agree from an offer standpoint that Taylor and Williams have comparable offers to what Irving had coming out of HS?

Irving:
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Mich State
Purdue
South Carolina
Wiscy

Taylor:
Iowa
Michigan
Mich State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Williams:
Arkansas
Iowa
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Penn St
Texas A&M

Would you agree from an offer standpoint that Taylor and Williams have comparable offers to what Irving had coming out of HS?

Irving:
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Mich State
Purdue
South Carolina
Wiscy

Taylor:
Iowa
Michigan
Mich State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Williams:
Arkansas
Iowa
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Penn St
Texas A&M
Yeah, I just don't think that really equates the having the same results.

We could do the same thing with OL. We have plenty of OL with similar offer sheet to JMS or Connor Olson, they played right away. Why not just plug one of those guys in at C or G?

Hard to find pass rushers in the portal.

They need wide receivers, also.
You'd think it really would be quite difficult to find anyone who's a slam dunk in the portal, ever. After all, if you are that ... then why are you leaving?

The best "gambles" in a sense then are guys who are looking to "move up" from the lower levels. Think they were overlooked by the big programs as high schoolers, and think they've played well enough in FCS to move up to the big time.

Top Bottom