Trabis Ward

Its not just me my boy....did you see dpodoll68?! He wanted no part of being tied to you!

Its not just me my boy....did you see dpodoll68?! He wanted no part of being tied to you!

I am not on here to win a popularity contest, clearly you are if you worry about this. I am merely on this message point to share my views and opinions, popular and unpopular. If you are waiting for accolades and applause as validation for yourself that is kind of sad really.

ACT vs. SAT

Wow, are you grasping at straws to not have to admit that you were possibly wrong. FYI... the SAT is also widely regarded as being more difficult than the ACT which is why some schools don't accept the ACT(i.e Ivy League).

Not taking sides on the Ward situation, but this post puzzles mee.

Widely known to be more difficult? I don't think so. It's more of a regional thing. East coast schools (and I think West coast) use the SAT. Midwestern schools use the ACT. However many schools will accept either. If you're looking at top tier schools like Stanford, University of Chicago, Ivy League schools, etc., you should probably take both. The vast majority of kids don't take both tests though, esp if they're from the Midwest and planning on staying in the area for school...the ACT is plenty in that case.

SAT is supposedly more a measure of raw intelligence which is contingent on who is defining intelligence and hence is more open to charges of racial bias. Read all the pro and con Charles Murray stuff of about a decade ago for info on that. I tend to think the SAT is highly biased.

ACT is supposedly more a measure of chances of success in college, which is different than raw intelligence.

Anyway, back to my main point. Interesting nugget near the bottom of the Ward story. Duron Carter, WR from St. Thomas Aquinas is mentioned as going to Ohio State. That figures, seeing he's the son of former OSU (and Viking) great Cris Carter. Can't believe the article doesn't mention that.

Getting back to the topic...

I know this will probably cause a lot of the Brewster naysayers to join this thread, but if you are a star football player, why do you wait until January to take your SAT/ACT? He had to of known that he would not receive his scores by the time NSD came around. When I was in high school, I was told by multiple different people to take the ACTs as many times as I could/needed, because if you don't do as well as you like you could retake it and expect to see a better score.

That being said, I truly hope he passes and becomes a Gopher. He would be a great get.

I thought the exact same thing. It's funny though, after talking to these kids, you wonder what kind of guidance and advice they're given. I just spoke with a good athlete with some lower level D1 offers, and asked him why he didn't have higher ones, as I thought he was good. He told me he just took his ACT and got his score back - he got a 21, so he's completely in the clear. But now, he's a Senior in February. I was like, what on earth were you thinking? I think I started taking those tests Sophomore year. He just said he was busy on Saturdays. I don't blame the kids, it's the adult supervision you wonder about, and not stressing the importance of taking these and hopefully, getting it out of the way.

Wow, are you grasping at straws to not have to admit that you were possibly wrong.

--as GopherGod (the pot) calls the kettle black. "Grasping at straws to not have to admit you were possibly wrong?" GopherGod invented that maneuver.

--50pound, the article does mention Duron Carter, I didn't paste the whole thing.

--GopherLady, I tend to agree, and it's hard to say if he was in a test prep class or what his deal was. It's also true that if he takes it before he's 100% ready, he might bomb it, and then he might get flagged on the re-take and end up like M. Gray.

If Ward has to go the prep-school route, it would be a disappointment.

"It would be very disappointing, but I know I won't have to do it," Ward said. "I just took the test late, that's all."

Sounds like he is confident he'll be fine. Another SOLID signing for Brew, I will love to see the Gophers when all four classes on the squad are Brew's, man they will have some talent.

I know the article mentions Duron. It just didn't mention that he is Cris Carter's son.

Hate to be cynical, but given all that Gray went through last year, even if he does pass, someone could raise a flag and frustrate the process! Hopefully he makes it through and then maintains his class work.

So...I guess just so i understand...is he coming here if he passes and can gain admission? It seems to be the jist, is this the thought?

Position switch?

If he gets in is there a possibility they could switch him to a DB? I think we are pretty deep with young RB's right now.

I think something that we've never encountered it Minnesota is what happens when a talented guy can't find playing time because of depth. It's an important place to get to, as that is when you'll get great athletes moving to the D side. If you've got visions of glory and you can't get a snap in college it's pretty clear you need to make a change.

Wow, are you grasping at straws to not have to admit that you were possibly wrong. FYI... the SAT is also widely regarded as being more difficult than the ACT which is why some schools don't accept the ACT(i.e Ivy League).

What are you talking about?!?! Any college will take EITHER test...that is the lamest, most made-up statement I've ever heard. See for yourself:

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/counselors/app_requirements/index.html#scores

http://www.princeton.edu/admission/...dized_testing/#comp000046cc511c0000000c5c18e5

I could get you other links for every other Ivy League school, but what's the point. Seriously...

More schools--including those in the Ivy League--are lessening reliance on test scores and looking at a portfolio of students' work and experiences. That's not to say they are eliminating tests, just giving them less weight in the admissions process.

What are you talking about?!?! Any college will take EITHER test...that is the lamest, most made-up statement I've ever heard. See for yourself:

http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/counselors/app_requirements/index.html#scores

http://www.princeton.edu/admission/...dized_testing/#comp000046cc511c0000000c5c18e5

I could get you other links for every other Ivy League school, but what's the point. Seriously...

They used to not take the ACT at all which is what I remembered when I was applying to colleges in the mid 90's, but you will see that they still require you to take atleast three SAT subject tests regardless if you take the ACT or SAT reasoning test.

They used to not take the ACT which is what I remembered when I was applying to colleges in the mid 90's, but you will see that they still require you to take atleast part of the SAT tests, the subject tests.

I believe they are called College Boards (at least they were back when I took them).

They used to not take the ACT at all which is what I remembered when I was applying to colleges in the mid 90's, but you will see that they still require you to take atleast three SAT subject tests.

ACT has become more accepted among all universities. I am not sure when the cut over was. I also never took the ACT as the SAT was the only test accepted at some of the schools I applied to.

Sounds like Feb. 12th may be signing day #2 for the gopher program!! :D We may get another present to add to this years class. Which some people are saying isn't so good ;)

That's not necessarily true. I wanted to apply to Harvey Mudd but I didn't take the SAT and they wouldn't take the ACT.

Remember that while most colleges take both, the ACT is much more a Midwest thing, sometimes we forget that. A lot of people on the coasts take just the SAT.

That's not necessarily true. I wanted to apply to Harvey Mudd but I didn't take the SAT and they wouldn't take the ACT.

Remember that while most colleges take both, the ACT is much more a Midwest thing, sometimes we forget that. A lot of people on the coasts take just the SAT.

Again, when did you apply? They DO take both now...and every college I've encountered accepts either. I'd be interested to know of a college that does NOT accept the ACT. HMC:

http://www.hmc.edu/admission1/applyingforadmission1/firstyearadmission.html#checklist

It's not like I care that much...it's just that that above statement by GG was so off-base that I had to say something. As someone who works with young people on stuff like this, I hate to see misinformation being floated--regardless of whether it was accurate 10+ years ago or not. Bottom line is this: both tests (while totally different in terms of scoring and content matter) are EQUALLY hard and universally accepted these days (to my knowledge). ACT and SAT even work together to develop "score comparison" charts every couple of years to help out colleges which aren't real familiar working with one or the other.

Again, when did you apply? They DO take both now...and every college I've encountered accepts either. I'd be interested to know of a college that does NOT accept the ACT. HMC:

http://www.hmc.edu/admission1/applyingforadmission1/firstyearadmission.html#checklist

It's not like I care that much...it's just that that above statement by GG was so off-base that I had to say something. As someone who works with young people on stuff like this, I hate to see misinformation being floated--regardless of whether it was accurate 10+ years ago or not. Bottom line is this: both tests (while totally different in terms of scoring and content matter) are EQUALLY hard and universally accepted these days (to my knowledge). ACT and SAT even work together to develop "score comparison" charts every couple of years to help out colleges which aren't real familiar working with one or the other.

To say that I was way of base may be a little extreme. In the past the Ivy Leagues would not accept the ACT and the Ivy League schools you referenced accept the ACT now but still even with that require you to take part of the SAT so they will not accept the ACT alone.

Sounds like Feb. 12th may be signing day #2 for the gopher program!! :D We may get another present to add to this years class. Which some people are saying isn't so good ;)

Well, if Rengel is a gray shirt due to injury, I guess that will leave Brew with another scholarship to work with!

To say that I was way of base may be a little extreme. In the past the Ivy Leagues would not accept the ACT and the Ivy League schools you referenced accept the ACT now but still even with that require you to take part of the SAT so they will not accept the ACT alone.

"Wow, are you grasping at straws to not have to admit that you were possibly wrong."
- GopherGod, Today, 09:54 AM

"Wow, are you grasping at straws to not have to admit that you were possibly wrong."

Everything I stated in this post you quoted is fact, period. It can be up for debate which is more difficult, but it is a fact that the Ivy League schools only recently started taking the ACT and it is fact that they today still require applicants to take the SAT subject tests, so not grasping really. When are you going to follow up with your standard post about my chances with the ladies.

Everything I stated in this post you quoted is fact, period. It can be up for debate which is more difficult, but it is a fact that the Ivy League schools only recently started taking the ACT and it is fact that they today still require applicants to take the SAT subject tests, so not grasping really. When are you going to follow up with your standard post about my chances with the ladies.

Original, I know you didn't go to college but please tell me you atleast graduated from high school or did you serve me my fries and big mac today for lunch. Maybe if you had went to school you would be able to tell the difference between something factually being proven wrong with no sources to the contrary and differing views and opinions with sources supporting each side.

TrollSpray.jpg

Everyone should use this for their threads to keep GopherGod away

Original, I know you didn't go to college but please tell me you atleast graduated from high school or did you serve me my fries and big mac today for lunch. Maybe if you had went to school you would be able to tell the difference between something factually being proven wrong with no sources to the contrary and differing views and opinions with sources supporting each side.

"Nice, atleast be a man for a change and admit when you are wrong about something."
- GopherGod, Today, 09:56 AM

TrollSpray.jpg

Everyone should use this for their threads to keep GopherGod away

You are a bigger fan that I thought, thanks again for the publicity. Remember there is no such thing as bad publicity. And I am a troll for which university?

Top Bottom