Tom Luginbill on Jeff Jones

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
he said "Minnesota doesn't currently have a player On its roster as good as Jeff jones", after seeing him compete against all the 5 star athletes all week and come out with mvp honors during the under armour AA game. Luginbill was sideline reporter for 3 of our games that season, so he was very familiar wIth the gopher roster.

With how clueless this staff is with offensive players do we feel comfortable their "experiment" with Jeff at WR is the best option, or just another clueless offensive decision by the staff?

Here are the highlights of Jeff as he out plays all the helmet school backs, but hey, I trust clueless Limey and kill and I'm sure it's in jeffs best interest to be fuc&ing around at another position Right now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zySQAVKJhe0

Your campaign won't work. What happened to make you so evil?

Your campaign won't work. What happened to make you so evil?
He tries to walk onto the team. He was laughed off the field.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No doubt Jeff Jones is a mystery. The information is he has headaches, concussions, and ankle injuries but the comments about him by the coaches are snarky. It all doesn't add up for me...it's not consistent. I think he could be very effective in space on bubble screens, lol jet sweeps etc as a wide receiver. But, I'm sure the coaches thought they'd run the ball better, so they could use JJ as a weapon at wide receiver slash ball carrier. The whole plan is not working and I'm sure injuries to JJ are the biggest part for him not playing. We need him. When he does play, where ever he plays he'll make a difference in our offense.

He was in the same breath as Fornette... but nope, we can't find a way to get him on the field. What's the excuse this week?

If only Tom Luginbill could coach football....

I think it would look similar to the Minnesota Gophers from 2007-2010...

They've got to work Jeff Jones into the lineup once he's healthy. It is not doing the team or him any good sitting down. Put him in, and let him gain playing experience. Hand him the ball. Let's not mess him up. Play him at RB with Smith, and then you can add catching plays for him later once he gets comfortable and knows the offense. The time is now.

I often wonder if our offense does not make good use of some talented players due to inflexibility of our offensive scheme and inability of the passing game. Look at Isaac Fruechte. The Vikings think of him highly enough he made their taxi squad with his blazing speed. I can't imagine how Isaac would have flourished with a QB with good accurate throwing arm.

Supposition: He was an academic non-qualifier. He hasn't/can't absorb enough of the playbook to be useful. That said, a jet-sweep should be right up his alley. Yet, none are forthcoming.

Too-early conclusion: He's just not what he was cracked up to be, it happens no matter how many stars a recruit has.

He was in the same breath as Fornette... but nope, we can't find a way to get him on the field. What's the excuse this week?

Fournette was the number one recruit two years ago. I really doubt he and Jones were ever uttered in the same sentence.

I think Jones has been injured, Snorey Garcia and your schtick is getting old.

He can't remember the run up the middle play and therefor can't play 98% of the time.

Jeff has been hurt. We need help at WR more than running back. Rodney played well yesterday given the OL play.

My hope is he gets ready for Northwestern and they don't know how to handle him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Jeff is so hurt why is he on the punt return team? coaches said he was full go at practice

I dont know what is going on and the only ones that do are Jeff and the coaches

where is Berkley

Where are Gentry and Gant and Holland

Cant we see any plays for what TE's we have left? You know the one where Williams just ran down the middle of the field wide open? is that play not there anymore? Iowa used it yesterday so defenses must still allow that one (oh wait the defense we played against have a better scheme that will cover that because we know they can)

So Jones is so hurt that he can only play special teams, but not RB or WR? lol

This hurts recruiting - Coach X from another school: "yeah, Minnesota.. their top rated recruit Jeff Jones doesn't even get to play... instead they use another RS Freshman... and that offense.. lol, it's bad. But, hey.. if you want to go there, go ahead... just know they might not use you and won't use you well..."

So Jones is so hurt that he can only play special teams, but not RB or WR? lol

This hurts recruiting - Coach X from another school: "yeah, Minnesota.. their top rated recruit Jeff Jones doesn't even get to play... instead they use another RS Freshman... and that offense.. lol, it's bad. But, hey.. if you want to go there, go ahead... just know they might not use you and won't use you well..."

I wouldnt sign with a coach that said lol.

Supposition: He was an academic non-qualifier. He hasn't/can't absorb enough of the playbook to be useful. That said, a jet-sweep should be right up his alley. Yet, none are forthcoming.

Too-early conclusion: He's just not what he was cracked up to be, it happens no matter how many stars a recruit has.

A very small percentage of players can come in and make a real contribution in their first year of college football. The big problem is that he was christened as the second coming while he was still in high school through no fault of his own. Everyone expected him to be an immediate star, and that just wasn't realistic.

As much as I disagree with the delivery, I'm not sure I can disagree with the sentiment.

I don't think the move has much, if anything, to do with Rodney being the better back at the moment. I don't think that's true (Rodney is better than expected, but not necessarily the better back). I think it's because the two of them are the best two skill players on the team right now. With Rodney immediately showing the ability to hold down the RB spot in practices, Jeff loses the reps at RB by default because he's polished enough (in terms of route-running) to practically transition to WR. If Rodney struggles to pick things up early, Jones would still be a running back.

The issues that I have with that:

You're taking your marquee all-star recruit (and maybe the kid with the most playmaking potential on team right now) from a place where he could 15 touches per to game to a place that he'll likely never get more than 5. The way Jeff can catch the ball out of the backfield and operate in space would be extremely valuable right now. I don't really see that as a strength of any other back right now. To me, that's what gave Jeff the edge as a prospect. Do you take away that mismatch problem with Jeff when you put him out with a CB in coverage? Does a very versatile runner, and potentially elite pass catching back, become nothing more than an average B1G receiver with this move? As bad as this team is hurting for an average B1G WR, I'm not sure that's the best way to get one.

I also don't think the move is in Jeff's best interest, or the best interest of recruiting in general. I'm sure any scout would tell you that his best shot at a lucrative football career after college (which is the goal of every high-level recruit) will be at RB, considering his lack of prototypical height and 4.3 speed for WR. Putting kids in the NFL is your best recruiting tool. If I were Jeff, I would want every snap at RB that I could get. He's still not guaranteed that fourth year, and needs that development. If you're maximizing players output to an NFL draft level, you're probably winning a lot of games as a cherry on top. It's all about getting the most you can out of a player (in terms of utilizing his talents correctly), instead of the square-peg-round-hold scenario.

***This is all "theory." To this point, it all means nothing because Jeff has not contributed in any way/shape/form because of injuries

I like JJ at WR better than RB. At least right now. Putting the ball in his hands in an open field is exciting. Wish it was happening. :(

A very small percentage of players can come in and make a real contribution in their first year of college football. The big problem is that he was christened as the second coming while he was still in high school through no fault of his own. Everyone expected him to be an immediate star, and that just wasn't realistic.

Exactly. This board is comical in the way that posters build up expectations for players and then get upset when the players don't meet those expectations. Jones, Nelson, Maresh, etc.

Better yet, the board now reads like a Reusse article. Of course, folks here hate Reusse for what he writes..........

This is ridiculous. Can't learn a playbook, so you move him to WR? D'ohkay.

Has there even been a more overrated, and sensationalized, test of mental fortitude on earth than learning a football playbook? Functionally illiterate people have played football at a very high level for decades now (literally, google it). Come on...it never has anything to do with "absorbing" a playbook. Especially not when you're playing for this team. What have you seen in the past 5 years that is difficult to "absorb?" I might buy that if we were running Baylor's offense (who, I'd wager, doesn't have nuclear physicists playing RB, either).

I'm to the point where I am expecting to never see Jones play. Hope I'm wrong.

He had a concussion before week 1. He didn't even travel with the team before week 2. Didn't go full at practice before Wed for week 3. I also fully believe there is more to the story then they will make public - I don't want to speculate on what, but think Cobb for his first 2 years (where he lit it up consistently at practice, but didn't see the field).

This board is a joke. We looked bad yesterday = 2-10 here we come.

JJ hasn't lit it up yet = we ruined him, will hurt recruiting.

I am embarrassed to be pat of this message board.

Run through his highlight reels...he's a running back and no doubt the best one on the team. He's transferring and I won't blame him. We will never get a top offensive recruit again with the way this staff is handling this. Have not seen one special moment from Smith.

Kill is losing me this year. He just seems stupid.

He had a concussion before week 1. He didn't even travel with the team before week 2. Didn't go full at practice before Wed for week 3. I also fully believe there is more to the story then they will make public - I don't want to speculate on what, but think Cobb for his first 2 years (where he lit it up consistently at practice, but didn't see the field).

This board is a joke. We looked bad yesterday = 2-10 here we come.

JJ hasn't lit it up yet = we ruined him, will hurt recruiting.

I am embarrassed to be pat of this message board.

Yeah, people have opinions dude, lighten the eff up.

Run through his highlight reels...he's a running back and no doubt the best one on the team. He's transferring and I won't blame him. We will never get a top offensive recruit again with the way this staff is handling this. Have not seen one special moment from Smith.

Kill is losing me this year. He just seems stupid.

I don't think this is Kill's fault. I'm guessing class/grades might have something to do with this. Just guessing, but we've seen this before with players over the years. I do not doubt he will transfer though. Whatever is going on...I'd put money on that it isn't just injuries.

I don't think this is Kill's fault. I'm guessing class/grades might have something to do with this. Just guessing, but we've seen this before with players over the years. I do not doubt he will transfer though. Whatever is going on...I'd put money on that it isn't just injuries.

I hope you're right. I had never been more excited about a recruit.

From reading this thread, we should line-up about 22 players on offense. That is the problem. When people want Gentry, Holland, Jones. etc. on the field, Maye and Wolitarski off the field. We run multiple TE offense, so only 2 WR can be on the field. Most teams play 1-2 RB, 3 TE and 3-4 WR per game. It's a game not practice. The coaches play who they think will win the game.

If we lay eggs in the next three weeks, I'll be worries, but we rarely have blow anyone out under Kill and if you look around the country, parity at at its highest right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think JJ has been taken over by pod people and is currently converting our entire team (starting with O Line) into pod people. And we all know pod people can't play football.

Above is just as likely as the idiotic sht you people are spewing on this board. My favorite posts begin and/or end with...."just a guess" or "pure speculation." Yes, like you needed to say that, like we don't already know you are full of sht and/or complete morons.

Top Bottom