Tom Luginbill on Jeff Jones

I think JJ has been taken over by pod people and is currently converting our entire team (starting with O Line) into pod people. And we all know pod people can't play football.

Above is just as likely as the idiotic sht you people are spewing on this board. My favorite posts begin and/or end with...."just a guess" or "pure speculation." Yes, like you needed to say that, like we don't already know you are full of sht and/or complete morons.

you should be banned for a few weeks after that uncalled for personal attack on people.

he said "Minnesota doesn't currently have a player On its roster as good as Jeff jones", after seeing him compete against all the 5 star athletes all week and come out with mvp honors during the under armour AA game. Luginbill was sideline reporter for 3 of our games that season, so he was very familiar wIth the gopher roster.

With how clueless this staff is with offensive players do we feel comfortable their "experiment" with Jeff at WR is the best option, or just another clueless offensive decision by the staff?

Here are the highlights of Jeff as he out plays all the helmet school backs, but hey, I trust clueless Limey and kill and I'm sure it's in jeffs best interest to be fuc&ing around at another position Right now:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zySQAVKJhe0
That didn't last long can't wait until you're banned. Also Jones has been hurt and missed a year. Believe me as a Washburn grad I d love to see him out there

So Jones is so hurt that he can only play special teams, but not RB or WR? lol

This hurts recruiting - Coach X from another school: "yeah, Minnesota.. their top rated recruit Jeff Jones doesn't even get to play... instead they use another RS Freshman... and that offense.. lol, it's bad. But, hey.. if you want to go there, go ahead... just know they might not use you and won't use you well..."

He's also a frosh who hadn't played in over a year. And also the big ten ain't the city conference this isn't basketball. Give it time took rashede three plus years to figure it out as well. As for recruiting class of 16 is kills best yet. So cram it up your cram hole.

Exactly. This board is comical in the way that posters build up expectations for players and then get upset when the players don't meet those expectations. Jones, Nelson, Maresh, etc.

Better yet, the board now reads like a Reusse article. Of course, folks here hate Reusse for what he writes..........

Immediately. These kids have to live up to expectations immediately or there's an outcry here. The kid didn't play football for a year. Chill out people.

People always assume that Coaches can predict how good players are from practice... and for the most part, it's true. But sometimes, it isn't true also, a la Rodney Smith. As we all can see, Roderick is no where near the talent Smith is, yet he "won" the competition until Smith was given a chance in a real game to show what he has. Right from the start you could see Smith's talent over Roderick's. Cobb was a back up for 2 years, plus 3 (or 4) games his Junior year before they actually gave him a chance, funny thing was that every time he touched the ball, we all could see his talent, the coaches just never let him play.

Is Jeff Jones better than Smith? Who knows... but at least give him a try. I don't agree with the "oh he's been out of football for a year" comments, because he is an athlete. A top 10 (maybe even top 5) RB his senior year. RB is probably the easiest position to learn on offense, and trust me, many true freshmen (and nfl rookies) can be stars their first year on their respective teams.

I honestly think there is something else that's going on. Whether it's academics, or Coach Kill just doesn't like him... I dunno. Talent-wise, we are talking about a kid who was in the same top 5 with Nick Chubb and Leonard Fournette ( http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=RB ), we are talking about more talent then Justin Jackson, maybe even the same level as Ezekiel Elliott. Watch Jeff Jones' film and tell me he shouldn't be out there playing, whether it's RB or WR, if only for 5 plays per game. An athlete like him doesn't come around often. He has more talent than even Smith has. So there is something else going on.

I feel bad for the kid because he chose to stay home... he worked his butt off last year to get to play, and so far this year, he hasn't gotten much of a chance... and maybe it's just pure bad luck he's been "injured" or maybe it's something else that isn't being said.

So Jones is so hurt that he can only play special teams, but not RB or WR? lol

This hurts recruiting - Coach X from another school: "yeah, Minnesota.. their top rated recruit Jeff Jones doesn't even get to play... instead they use another RS Freshman... and that offense.. lol, it's bad. But, hey.. if you want to go there, go ahead... just know they might not use you and won't use you well..."

Yeah GW, and highly rated recruits never get in a situation where they don't play at any other schools. Every highly rated recruit at WI, OSU, etc pans out. That QB that transferred out of WI this summer didn't happen did it?

Jerry is a disciplinarian and the narrative was Cobb wasn't putting in the effort to "figure things out" like they wanted. Probably true, but it's also true some players seem to go into the doghouse for very long stretches of time.

Even when Cobb was very successful, Kill didn't have a lot of personal praise for him. He never, to my recollection, talk about him playing on Sundays like he does some of the guys who are more marginal talents, like Cockran or Ekpe (thus far).

I would guess Kill, like most parents, digs in his heels a little bit if he feels like a player isn't doing things just the right way or buying in. And that's ok. He's the head coach. Maybe he's a terrible blocker and he can't play yet. Maybe he refuses to learn the playbook. I don't know though, Jeff went through a lot to get eligible, seems like he wants to play.

Interesting situatuon.

Jerry is a disciplinarian and the narrative was Cobb wasn't putting in the effort to "figure things out" like they wanted.

His NFL coach said the same things about Cobb. Hope that doesn't become a common thing said about Kill kids.

Sonny is rough around the edges, but his point is valid. Jeff Jones should be playing RB. We don't need another slot receiver, we need a dynamic back to get carries along with Smith.

I do think our offense is not conducive to attracting top tier offensive recruits.

Plain and simple, our offensive scheme sucks. It's too minor league for Power 5 football.

The offense doesn't have any game changers, as bad as the offense has been it's a mystery why Jones isn't getting a chance, if it was operating at a high level and Jones wasn't playing we wouldn't be having this conversation, as it is it just really begs the question of why.

This board is comical in the way that posters build up expectations for players and then get upset when the players don't meet those expectations. Jones, Nelson, Maresh, etc.

You mean statements like "they can't coach a kid UP?"

The offense doesn't have any game changers, as bad as the offense has been it's a mystery why Jones isn't getting a chance, if it was operating at a high level and Jones wasn't playing we wouldn't be having this conversation, as it is it just really begs the question of why.

What would your expectations be for a kid 3-games in that hasn't played in a year and has suffered both concussion and ankle injuries already that have kept him out of practices and games?

What would your expectations be for a kid 3-games in that hasn't played in a year and has suffered both concussion and ankle injuries already that have kept him out of practices and games?

+1 and in addition JJ is not as physically strong as Smith, Williams or apparently Brooks (Whom Kill called potentially an all B10 conference back by the time he is through playing). JJ is fine but he is not now in the running back mix. I think he will play a lot this year as a receiver and do well at the position but I don't think he is a game changer.

I don't buy for one second that Smith and Brooks are stronger than Jeff Jones

+1 and in addition JJ is not as physically strong as Smith, Williams or apparently Brooks (Whom Kill called potentially an all B10 conference back by the time he is through playing). JJ is fine but he is not now in the running back mix. I think he will play a lot this year as a receiver and do well at the position but I don't think he is a game changer.

I'm not going to speculate about why Jeff Jones is only playing on punt team coverage. I agree Roderick Williams is stronger than Jeff Jones but not Rodney Smith or Shannon Brooks, no way no how. The one thing Jeff Jones is as a back is physically strong guy that just doesn't go down from first contact and can make people miss because of it. I remember a Gopher offense that was struggling this bad in a certain backs freshman year, heck those coaches under Mason were going to play Marion Barber III on defense and then they started playing him at running back and realized he could make plays with the ball in his hands. I believe Jeff Jones can surprise, not saying he is Barber but the kid is physically strong and built like that.
They may both be faster but they are not stronger break tackles types, you don't see Smith or Brooks breaking any tackles. There not those types of backs, they are find a hole or a cutback and hit it with speed types not running people over types. The only assumption I can make is that Smith plays because he is doing best in practice and games so far, this staff plays the best players, they don't generally leave players that can help them win football games on the sidelines, at least none that I can recall. Sure seems to be a lot of talk about a guy that really hasn't played much football. I still believe Jeff Jones will be a good player for the Gophers, when it is his time to shine, and his time to play I expect him to do well.

I think JJ has been taken over by pod people and is currently converting our entire team (starting with O Line) into pod people. And we all know pod people can't play football.

Above is just as likely as the idiotic sht you people are spewing on this board. My favorite posts begin and/or end with...."just a guess" or "pure speculation." Yes, like you needed to say that, like we don't already know you are full of sht and/or complete morons.

Coming from you that is a compliment.

People really think Cobb wasn't playing because Kill was in the process of "saving" him? Lmao! The stubborn SOB had him in the dog house and the only reason he got out is because he got pushed into playing because of injuries. Then it was too obvious to everyone, he couldn't go back in the doghouse! Let's not kid ourselves, if these guys didn't operate in the year 1965 we could have watchEd Cobb tear it up as a soph too.

They suffocate these offensive guys with their old school redneck bullish!t. Afraid to make mistakes, get in the doghouse. If some of you can't see that, you're naive as hell.

This board is a joke. We looked bad yesterday = 2-10 here we come.

JJ hasn't lit it up yet = we ruined him, will hurt recruiting.

I am embarrassed to be pat of this message board.

I am sure you meant part not pat, but the idea you are embarrassed to be Pat (Reusse) is a funny take, although I am kinda embarrassed at how easily riled up this board is by Pat.

But more importantly, this is much more difficult time to be a Gopherholer than a Gopher fan. The trolling, negativity, and insane entitlement mentality is really tough to take. While the team accomplished much more in four years under Kill than I would have thought possible, nothing short of a perfect record seems good enough.

For all of my adult life, the Gophers had been either mediocre or downright awful. We now have the Jug, Floyd, the stupid fragile wooden bell thing, and the Chair. If we had the Axe as well, which would have required winning a very difficult away game, last year would have been magical. Magical to everyone except for the trolls and other naysayers, who would put forth arguments about how the Big Ten West is weak, etc.

I read this forum every morning. It is part of my daily ritual. The stark negativity is making me wonder if that is such a good idea.

People really think Cobb wasn't playing because Kill was in the process of "saving" him? Lmao! The stubborn SOB had him in the dog house and the only reason he got out is because he got pushed into playing because of injuries. Then it was too obvious to everyone, he couldn't go back in the doghouse! Let's not kid ourselves, if these guys didn't operate in the year 1965 we could have watchEd Cobb tear it up as a soph too.

They suffocate these offensive guys with their old school redneck bullish!t. Afraid to make mistakes, get in the doghouse. If some of you can't see that, you're naive as hell.
I don't know what happened to you or one of your friends or family members, but your views are so extreme and isolated. Do you really think that's happening in the program? Why are so many saying the exact opposite? I just want to know why you're so hostile and bitter.

I read this forum every morning. It is part of my daily ritual. The stark negativity is making me wonder if that is such a good idea.
You have to be mentally strong to not get sucked into the awful stuff that is spewed. I'm still working on that and fortunately have many giving me plenty of practice. I find it incredible that if we'd somehow made one play against TCU we could feasibly be 3-0 and the negativity would probably be as bad or worse this week.

His NFL coach said the same things about Cobb. Hope that doesn't become a common thing said about Kill kids.

Again, every other programs have kids that have a high motor, give 110% every practice... I'm sure Cedric Thompson, Maxx Williams, & every other player from Gophs is a slacker, right?

Just to be sure you get it - sarcasm.

Top Bottom