Tim Brewster a candidate at FAU?

Madtown,

Thanks for posting the clip. I needed some humor today. I find the expression on Zook, at the end of the clip, equally as humorous.
Speaking of Zook, would he be a "mini-Wild Card"?

I agree I think that he could do a good job down there and I am sure his antics would be toned down. I have never understood the media and people on the board ripping Brewster as much as they do the man was a fool but he was a fool put in a place by a complete buffoon. I blame the buffoon. And for that matter I know 5 years ago after they beat Purdue I was a little over served and I was gushing about him and was talking winds of change. I was wrong but I wonder how many others would admit that they thought something special was coming when we were 7-1. I was a young man that wanted it to be a program shift. I am a lot more cautiously optimistic on what I am seeing this year(and the future) but I am not going to go on and on in a Wisconsin Bar(where I live) about winds of change. Most be maturing ever so slightly.

He won't be there long. Saban to Texas. Gary Andersen bolts Wisconsin for Alabama. Brewster takes over Wisconsin.

I heard he will plant some AutoZone Liberty Bowl grass in his office. C-USA has a tie-in there, right?

Agree with those who think Brew might have a chance at FAU. He should be able to recruit at a high level at FAU (relative to the other schools in the conference) and have a better chance to keep more of the kids he recruits in school. I would hope that he learned a lot from all the staff turmoil here and would settle on systems that are sustainable and a staff that would be more stable. It’s the type of job he should have pursued in the 2003-2005 time frame. Who knows, had he done that then and had some success, some AD from a larger conference might have given him a shot.

Tim Brewster will be the head coach of a premier college football program before his career is over. More than a few of his critics in Minnesota will be scratching their heads and wondering what they missed and why they didn't see it coming.

I respectfully disagree. Gerry Faust was the head coach of a big-time college football program. So was Bobby Williams.

Some guys are overmatched as big-time head coaches and are more suited to be assistant coaches. I think Brew fits in that category.

Gerry Faust never got another college coaching job. That is not happening with Brewster. I think it was our guy Mase who said that success in college football is 80% recruiting. If people don't think Brewster is smart enough to learn from his mistakes then they probably don't learn from their own mistakes. One thing we know about Brewster is that high school recruits love the guy. They buy into his schtick in the way most older people would never do.

Check your facts...

Gerry Faust never got another college coaching job. That is not happening with Brewster. I think it was our guy Mase who said that success in college football is 80% recruiting. If people don't think Brewster is smart enough to learn from his mistakes then they probably don't learn from their own mistakes. One thing we know about Brewster is that high school recruits love the guy. They buy into his schtick in the way most adults would never do.

It must have been a different Gerry Faust who was the head coach at Akron from 1986 to 1994 then, huh?

Brewster would be a killshot hire!

I was shooting for irony and sarcasm. I know Bert's a D guy, but read into the ineptness we've seen from Brewster.

That might have been WAY to subtle for the room. It certainly was for me! :cool:

Problem is Brewster did it backwards. He should have gone to a place like FAU and then, if he succeeded, to a BCS school.

Blame Maturi for that. I still can't believe a measured, pc guy like Joel got sucked in by Brewster's bluster. FWIW, I think Brew would have done better with Teague as his AD.

Maturi rolled the dice on Brewster. It is not the first time an AD has done that and it won't be the last. How many coaches did Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan run through before they finally found the right one? We all love Jerry Kill right now. Don't ever forget who found him and hired him.

Maturi didn't have the money to get a coach with a proven track record at a BCS school to replace Mason. It doesn't matter who interviewed for the Gopher job at that time. We don't know who would have been willing to take it for the cut rate salary that was being offered. Anyone who says they know are full of it.

Maturi rolled the dice on Brewster. It is not the first time an AD has done that and it won't be the last. How many coaches did Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan run through before they finally found the right one? We all love Jerry Kill right now. Don't ever forget who found him and hired him.

Maturi didn't have the money to get a coach with a proven track record at a BCS school to replace Mason. It doesn't matter who interviewed for the Gopher job at that time. We don't know who would have been willing to take it for the cut rate salary that was being offered. Anyone who says they know are full of it.

People like to pretend that Brewster was dramatically unqualified for this job. He wasn't. You can make the argument that he was borderline underqualified, but going any further than that is ridiculous and just plain wrong. Kirk Ferentz was hired to a Big Ten job straight from a position as an NFL position coach (exactly like Brewster was). To this day, he has never held a coordinator position above HS in his life (exactly like Brewster). They had almost the exact same duration of experience in the coaching profession at the time of hire. Does anyone think Ferentz was dramatically unqualified? Would anyone not trade the results from Ferentz' tenure for the results from Mason's tenure? Apparently, the fact that he had 3 (unsuccessful) years as Maine's head coach in the early 90s made him sooo much more qualified than Brewster. Please. People need to quit bitching about the things that don't matter (showmanship, bravado, supposed lack of qualifications/experience) and focus on the fact that he didn't get good enough results. None of that other stuff would matter had he won a lot of games. Thus, they are inconsequential and we need to stop beating a dead horse about a coach who hasn't been here for 3 years.

Actually, not a bad candidate - as a pure rookie, with revolving assistant coaches and serious injuries to key players, he did reasonably well - opened 7-1 in second season. Then he wasn't ready for prime time, but probably has learned some lessons.

I agree. We all understood Brew was a rookie Head Coach with no long term staff to support him & would make some mistakes. We were at a point where we only had so much money to spend & had to hire two coaches. The big money was spent on Tubby & then we rolled the dice on an up & comer in Brewster.

Brew inherited a dumpster fire & left it in slightly better shape when he left. Brew inherited the worst roster I've ever seen on a Gopher team, a sex scandal, a player wanted for bank robbery & no experienced weapons to work with.

After suffering the 1-11 season he moved Sherels to CB, Campbell to MLB, brought in BPT, Tramaine Brock, Simoni Lawrence & Ted Roof to Coach them. Suddenly we had a Defense. In fact it was the best Defense we'd had in years.

Offensively we had a crap OL, no depth & no weapons to work with except Weber & Decker who were a R-Fr & Soph respectively. To his credit he realized the only thing that would work with that talent was Weber to Decker so he rode that horse till it dropped. We were 7-1 & poised for a great season when Decker got hurt or it could have all turned out different for Brew.

When Coach Kill got hired (who I would much rather have of course) fans said he had to be given a minimum of 5 years to rebuild & was given an extension to 7 years before he ever did anything to earn it. Brew was being run out of town in his second year, even when he was winning.

The reason Minnesotans feel so violently opposed to Brew wasn't his football, it was his personality. He could have gone 12-0 & Minnesotans would have found a reason to hate him. Just as people would defend Kill to a fault (prior to our winning streak) because they like him. Kill's a Minnesota kind of guy, Brew wasn't.

People like to pretend that Brewster was dramatically unqualified for this job. He wasn't. You can make the argument that he was borderline underqualified, but going any further than that is ridiculous and just plain wrong. Kirk Ferentz was hired to a Big Ten job straight from a position as an NFL position coach (exactly like Brewster was). To this day, he has never held a coordinator position above HS in his life (exactly like Brewster). They had almost the exact same duration of experience in the coaching profession at the time of hire. Does anyone think Ferentz was dramatically unqualified? Would anyone not trade the results from Ferentz' tenure for the results from Mason's tenure? Apparently, the fact that he had 3 (unsuccessful) years as Maine's head coach in the early 90s made him sooo much more qualified than Brewster. Please. People need to quit bitching about the things that don't matter (showmanship, bravado, supposed lack of qualifications/experience) and focus on the fact that he didn't get good enough results. None of that other stuff would matter had he won a lot of games. Thus, they are inconsequential and we need to stop beating a dead horse about a coach who hasn't been here for 3 years.

This argument is akin to saying "Don't tell me you can't win with a Freshman QB, look at Johnny Manziel.". i.e. It's the exception to the rule, not the rule.

The fact that his crowning achievement, the massive 2008 recruiting class, did not include one single freakin' offensive line recruit (not counting transfer Carufel) set this program back years. This is probably the first year the line looks to be Big Ten quality.

I hope Brewster does get another head job, and I think in a lower FBS league he'd do well. His personality would be a nice colorful addition to the college football world.
He never deserved the personal hatred he got around here. He wasn't a bad guy, a jerk, or a demon. He was underqualified and unprepared for this type of job.
All it would take at FAU is a handful of top caliber recruits to come aboard.
Imagine Marquis Gray running through the sun belt schedule.

Tim Brewster will be the head coach of a premier college football program before his career is over. More than a few of his critics in Minnesota will be scratching their heads and wondering what they missed and why they didn't see it coming.

I'm not simply bashing the guy but I'm not so sure he will be overly successful at a premier football program. Not because I don't think he can be a decent head coach and has learned from his mistakes but because it's more difficult to keep assistants at a premier football program that has any kind of success.

Top Bottom