Tickets sold: Iowa State 8,000-Gophers 1,000

Letsgogophers

Reaction score
As per the Des Moines Register today. Not too impressive for Minnesota at this point. The stands will look pretty empty on the Minnesota side.

I doubt it. We go through this every year - the transplanted Minnesota residents now living in AZ will buy numerous tickets down there. I bet the fans will be fairly even when all is said and done.

yay! its 'letsgogophers'! the poster who has a quarter of his posts in a thread he started entitled "bring back mason".

and interestingly enough, he seems to have joined GH the day the gophers played the hawkeyes.

Sorry, I hate the Hawkeyes and all they stand for. They are arrogant, break the rules and the worst fans in the country. Call me what you want, but please, not a Hawkeye. They make me sick. But i can tell you, I simply don't like Brewster. Harbaugh or any of a number of coaches would be a major upgrade. (and I own four season tickets to both football and basketball games)

I have no problem if you hate Brewster for whatever reason. but whatever the case may be, we have to support him as long as he is here because he is the face of the program for now.

I would rather hate his guts and have him win than love the guy and see him lose!! Personally, I think he has his good points and his bad points, just like Glen Mason did and I hope he has great success here. I feel that next year will be very key for his future here and as a head football coach.

Whatever the case may be, I was here long before he came here and I will be here long after he leaves.

I find it hard to believe that they've sold that many tickets while the hawkeyes cannot sell their allotment for the orange bowl. Sorry, it just seems strange.

I can believe the ISU vs. Iowa sales...especially if Hawkeye fans are getting tickets cheaper via other outlets. This has been noted before, but the current bowl structure is a joke designed to make the bowls easy money at the expense of the conferences and schools. We'll have plenty of fans there. But the majority of them won't buy their tickets from the U because they can get better seats for less on the secondary market.

As far as I can tell, Cyclones fans are just super excited to be in a bowl and are reacting accordingly. Gophers fans are understandably meh about returning to the same mediocre bowl for the 3rd time in 4 years. As a result, those who are going will not pay more than they have to.

It's not rocket science. ;)

I would attribute Iowa's poor ticket sales to the day the game is being played. The Tuesday after the Holidays would be a tough one. Means atleast 3 more vacation days after so many took time off during the holidays.

spinedr, what else would Pigeye fans have to do any day of the year?

I don't believe I have ever crossed the state line into Iowa without puking.

Sorry, I hate the Hawkeyes and all they stand for. They are arrogant, break the rules and the worst fans in the country. Call me what you want, but please, not a Hawkeye. They make me sick. But i can tell you, I simply don't like Brewster. Harbaugh or any of a number of coaches would be a major upgrade. (and I own four season tickets to both football and basketball games)

Harbaugh?!?! That's your answer?!? Well, get him on the phone! What are you waiting for?!?

Hate Brewster all you want, but offering Harbaugh as a viable alternative shows that you are doing nothing more than talking to hear your head rattle. Why on God's green earth, in a million years, would he ever even remotely consider the insinuation of the possibility of the slight offchance that he may come here? Maturi would hang up the phone with Harbaugh laughing uproariously on the other end.

I'd prefer realistic solutions of how to better the program rather than pie-in-the-sky options like Dungy and Harbaugh, but hey, go ahead if it makes you feel better. Just don't expect anyone with a brain to take you seriously.

Getting ready to leave for Arizona

Our family is preparing to leave for a week of fun and sun in Arizona. We are looking forward to it. And while we are there, we will be putting on our Maroon and Gold and heading to the game to cheer on the Gophers. As worthless as this message board has become over the years, we still check in once-in-a-while. It is amazing to me that posters here on GH will constantly bitch about the U ticket sales to the Bowl Game. Here is some advice...if you are not going to the bowl game in Arizona, then quit your complaining and keep your mouth shut.

BIOYA.

yay! its 'letsgogophers'! the poster who has a quarter of his posts in a thread he started entitled "bring back mason".

and interestingly enough, he seems to have joined GH the day the gophers played the hawkeyes.

A "quarter of his posts" you say. You mean, four? You are just a basketful of insight aren't you.

Our family is preparing to leave for a week of fun and sun in Arizona. We are looking forward to it. And while we are there, we will be putting on our Maroon and Gold and heading to the game to cheer on the Gophers. As worthless as this message board has become over the years, we still check in once-in-a-while. It is amazing to me that posters here on GH will constantly bitch about the U ticket sales to the Bowl Game. Here is some advice...if you are not going to the bowl game in Arizona, then quit your complaining and keep your mouth shut.

BIOYA.

I'm going to the bowl game. From the sounds of things, we may see each other in the stands.

This doesn't look good for us, at all. I know in the previous years, fans could donate a ticket to a student and purchase one (or how many they wanted to donate), even if they weren't able to attend. Are they doing that this year? Which organization did that in the previous years? It was a great idea.

I agree it doesnt look good, but is anyone in the least bit surprised by this? You've got a team slumping badly going to a bowl for the third time in four years. Star player is out, opponent is completely non-descript, and travel to said bowl destination definitely isn't cheap. Sad for sure, but not surprising. I've gotta think that another win or two and a bowl in San Antonio or Orlando we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I doubt it. We go through this every year - the transplanted Minnesota residents now living in AZ will buy numerous tickets down there. I bet the fans will be fairly even when all is said and done.

That wasn't the case last year. Kansas had us outnumbered at least 3-to-1. ISU will have us outnumbered at least 2-to-1. It is what it is. We don't travel well to bowl games. Until we get to the Rose Bowl and break the seal, we're stuck. It is really that simple.

I agree it doesnt look good, but is anyone in the least bit surprised by this? You've got a team slumping badly going to a bowl for the third time in four years. Star player is out, opponent is completely non-descript, and travel to said bowl destination definitely isn't cheap. Sad for sure, but not surprising. I've gotta think that another win or two and a bowl in San Antonio or Orlando we wouldn't be having this discussion.

This is well said.

Correct on Pasadena ... Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think an Outback Bowl berth would be very well attended.

This bitching about ticket sales is so dumb it makes me sick knowing that I feel I need to rationalize for some of you.

Last year's ticket sales were relatively low. Possible reasons? Starting off 7-1 but finishing 0-4 to go to the same bowl as last time could be a good reason. And why so many KU fans? Well, how much easier is it to travel from KS to Tempe? Also, their football program had really no history until the year before, and if memory serves right, that was the first back-to-back bowl experience for them.

Fast forward to this year: we are playing in the same bowl 3 of 4 years against a lackluster program, who, by contrast, has excitement being they have a new coach, had a 2-win season last year, and haven't been to a bowl since '05. And here we're only judging this on UNIVERSITY sales and not TOTAL sales! If there is ANY flaw with this logic, please enlighten me.

I'm tired of this place becoming one giant online therapy session.

Ah Ladygopher

This doesn't look good for us, at all. I know in the previous years, fans could donate a ticket to a student and purchase one (or how many they wanted to donate), even if they weren't able to attend. Are they doing that this year? Which organization did that in the previous years? It was a great idea.

The first Insight Bowl the Gophers had between 15-20,000 people in attendence. About a 4-1 ratio over Texas Tech. Last year I would say about 8-10,000 Gopher fans. (We were at both)
We also attended both pep fests and were amazed at the number of people( snowbirds) who bought tickets from various internet sites for around 20.00.

I am someone who normally goes to the bowl game, but am not this year and it is because of the cost of flights. Flying on the 30th and 1st was never under $325 and that was landing at like 1030pm on the 30th and returning at 7am on the 1st. Earlier arrival times were $370 with some serious digging. Non-stop flights were always well north of $400. It's hard to justify the costs when I've already been to the game twice recently.

Top Bottom