This season will be considered a success if....

46Gophers

Reaction score
Victories over Illinois and Wisconsin are followed by a win in a Green Giant Niblet-like bowl. IMO, anything less will make for a very disappointing season.

Its tough to consider it a success no matter what. Even if we win out, we take a step backwards from last year. At the same time, we get two intolerably embarrassing monkeys off our back: the losing streak to Wisconsin and the time since our last bowl win. I'd probably be satisfied with winning out, but I expect a big step forwards next year when we get a much easier schedule.

you are kidding right? We could win out last 3 and there is no way this year is even close to being successful compared to last year or the expectations going into this year. Winning our last three would be saving face or even looking up until next year but in no way I hope no one finds success in this season.

No way the season can be considered a success. That said, a win over Wisconsin (and to a much lesser extent a win in some minor bowl) would do a lot to establish some sort of momentum going in to next season. It's going to be very tough to gain any interest from the non hardcore Gopher fan going in to next year after a 1-7/2-6 conference season and having lost to both our rivals (and this staff now being 0-5 against Wisconsin). Likewise, it's going to be tough to recruit 2017 kids for the same reasons....there simply will be a lot less to sell them on than there was for the 2016 class. That Wisconsin game is a chance to change the narrative a bit, and I hope the staff/players can take advantage of that opportunity.

you are kidding right? We could win out last 3 and there is no way this year is even close to being successful compared to last year or the expectations going into this year. Winning our last three would be saving face or even looking up until next year but in no way I hope no one finds success in this season.

I know I'll be effing crucified for this post...but how about some positivity? With what the team has been through this season ... wins over Illinois and wisconsin and a bowl win would make this a successful season. Can our team get it done...who knows? Also, I'm not sure that you can compare this season to last year. Yep there were very high and lofty expectations, but things didn't go our way this year. If we can't look at it like that...then hang it up now and stop complaining.

I don't know if I'd call it a success, but no year that we beat Wisconsin is a disaster.

Too late for that. AD, Coach, Injuries, poor play, tough schedule. Make lemonade by winning last two, getting an extra game and the extra practices. I'm still very positive going forward.

We have a lot of talent coming back and coming in. The youngsters growing pains today will result in experience dividends down the road.

People blast other people for this, but Injuries have been obscene this year. 3 OL, both starting DT the past few weeks, best S, CB for a few, backup CB's for many, Gentry (Who Kill said would start), MLB for a game. Not many teams face that.

Win the next two, the NCAA steps in and reverses our six losses, become eligible for the BTCC game and win that, win our bowl game, and win the NC game. That would be a successful season IMO. :p

Going to a bowl game despite suddenly losing your head coach in the middle of season should be considered a success. The program wasn't on a rocket ship to 12-0 after the last couple of years, there will be some setbacks, but we are overall on an upward climb. Next year we see how Kill's guys can do when they are prepared to be without him

The season is just more than wins and losses to some of us. I am encouraged by the play of the team the past three games. Playing three teams in the top 15 and staying in the game well into the fourth quarter is huge compared to many of Mason and Brewster teams that usually were blown out by a top 25 team and the game was over by the 2nd quarter. From a W/L perspective, yes the team has taken a step backward. However the foundation continues to be solid for the team and many Gopher fans are optimistic for the future under Claeys. In addition, if you take in strength of schedule, injuries to key players, and coaching changes, this season is not as bleak as some would like to think it is. Finishing out with 3 wins would be huge for the season and great step towards next season.

I can't call the season a success anymore. But if we win out and win our bowl game, I would be pretty dang happy considering how everything has went.

If we win out, there is no way you could not consider the season a success. Let's break it down...

- team is decimated by injuries all year long
- loss of head coach mid-season
- of the six losses, five have come to the #2, #3, #5, #15 and #16 ranked teams in the nation
- first bowl game win since????
- we have the axe!!!!

If this isn't viewed as a success, all things considered, that's nuts.

Victories over Illinois and Wisconsin are followed by a win in a Green Giant Niblet-like bowl. IMO, anything less will make for a very disappointing season.

Coach left, team underperformed, injuries mounted, qb situation is murky. It's been a disappointment no matter how it ends. And it won't be any better or worse for me either way, so I'm not going to sweat losses. Hope we win though...

If we win out, there is no way you could not consider the season a success. Let's break it down...

- team is decimated by injuries all year long
- loss of head coach mid-season
- of the six losses, five have come to the #2, #3, #5, #15 and #16 ranked teams in the nation
- first bowl game win since????
- we have the axe!!!!

If this isn't viewed as a success, all things considered, that's nuts.

I don't think any scenario that has you struggling to make a bowl game, coming off a NYD game the year before can make the season a success. However with what you laid out, winning the final 3 games (including the bowl) would certainly keep the season from being a major step back.

Has certainly been one of the strangest seasons I can remember and when you are talking Gopher football that is saying something.

I don't think any scenario that has you struggling to make a bowl game, coming off a NYD game the year before can make the season a success. However with what you laid out, winning the final 3 games (including the bowl) would certainly keep the season from being a major step back.

Has certainly been one of the strangest seasons I can remember and when you are talking Gopher football that is saying something.

The last three games of the season are crucial. If we win out, we have buried some serious demons -- beating Wisconsin and winning a bowl game. Given the schedule next year, and all the adversity faced this year, the Gopher fan base will be sky-high with optimism as we close out 2015. We lose to Illinois today and 'Sconnie next week, we go out with a whimper, coaching is questioned and it's more doom and gloom. Closing the season with three Ws would be huge. What that would mean for momentum going into next year and the opinion of the current coaching staff... It will definitely be looked at as a successful season. Now, 7 - 6 next year given our schedule, that's a different story...

Must reach 6 wins and not back into a bowl game. I would say less than 6 wins considering last season the momentum that many say is being built and program building less than 6 is not successful.

... if the game day thread doesn't turn into the complaint and insult thread.

It will be a success if we win out and iowa gets creamed in the BIg Ten championship and in their bowl game

if we only consider the last 3 games as the barometer than why play the other 10. With the expectations for this year this year has been a huge disappointment. We cant blame losses on injuries much like we don't asterisk wins when the teams we beat are missing players. Need to have a rebound season next year

if we only consider the last 3 games as the barometer than why play the other 10. With the expectations for this year this year has been a huge disappointment. We cant blame losses on injuries much like we don't asterisk wins when the teams we beat are missing players. Need to have a rebound season next year

Well ya, I assumed we assessing this from today.

Given that we are currently 4-6, the season would be a success if we finish 7-6.

Had they beat Michigan, I think the way this season is looked at would be completely different.

Beating Wisconsin makes this a successful season. Our schedule was brutal. We lost our coach. We had critical injuries...we need more recruiting classes to sustain the loss of that many starters. Everything is not always just black and white, bottom line we didn't win 8 games again. Beat Wisconsin!

I'll be content with a 7-6 season. I won't call it a success, but I'll be content given the injuries.

I just want to beat Wisconsin. Bowl game would be awesome but I am tired of losing to Wisconsin.

Top Bottom