This is not on Webber

csom_1991

Reaction score
Webber is not the issue, if you put up 38 points, you should win the game. PERIOD. The problem here, like it has been for the past 40 years, is a poor defensive effort and game plan. What pains me is the fact that I think we have decent talent. I think Mason would probably make a run for the Big Ten title if he had this group.

The reason why I am hard on Brewster goes back to his first major decision as a coach. The only thing that worked consistently w/ Mason was the run game. Brewster changed that as his first move which was inexcusable. That was tip off number one that this is not the right guy to take over what is a major college football program (despite all the moves by the admin and coaching to change that). Brewster's only hope (if he makes it through the season) is that he has Grey to take over at QB. If we were dropping from Webber to a true Frosh QB, you could write off next year as well.

betterdeadthanred - I can't blame a guy for making aggressive mistakes. He was overwhelmingly positive for the Gophers today despite the fumbles.

I have ZERO confidence in Weber. Yet the coaches keep trotting him out there. Truly scary if he is the best option on this team at QB.

He still got outplayed by a FCS QB. SDU is worse than the Gophers defensively and yet Warren still brought his team a victory.

Weber isn't the sole blame here, but he certainly didn't help. 2 fumbles, poor passing, etc... same old Weber. Can't wait until he's gone.

thailleagle - he was 21-31 and there were at least 4 drops. So, he put the ball in a catchable position on 25 of 31 throws, I will take that all week long. BTW, his QB rating was 170 for the game. Webber is not the cause of the stupid 4th and short play calls - those killed drives, not overthrows...

Totally agree. Weber is still horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, but he wasn't the worst player on the field today. He had lots of company...

1. It's his 4th year as a starter, we should know there is one b in Weber by now
2. The second fumble was inexcusable. He'd already had one and the second one was caused by a sole defender. Senior qb's can't fumble twice.
3. The missed deep ball to Gray, that was an easy throw to make for the TD.

I agree the loss is not on Weber, but he did not play a great game.

I just realized how long it has been since I was on this board writing about the Gophers. I think it was Mason's last year so I can't even spell our QB's name correctly.

I agree. Webber (whoever that is ) wasn't the problem but W-E-B-E-R had a pair of costly fumbles and miss some WIDE open receivers.

Scott Tolzien of Wisconsin was 15-22 for 191 yards w/ 1TD and 1INT. Sure, Weber (only 1 b this time) had 1 extra TO vs. the Wisconsin QB but Weber had a much better game. You don't see the Wisky fans crying about poor QB play though - because their D only gives up 14pts to the OOC 'cupcakes'....

Weber is so bad that he wont have any int's because his passes are so far out that there are no DBs there. hes a horrible joke really. he had one or two good passes, the rest his receivers saved his ass on

thailleagle - he was 21-31 and there were at least 4 drops. So, he put the ball in a catchable position on 25 of 31 throws, I will take that all week long. BTW, his QB rating was 170 for the game. Webber is not the cause of the stupid 4th and short play calls - those killed drives, not overthrows...

he had a good game against MSU last year too but how did the rest of the season fare?

he had a good game against MSU last year too but how did the rest of the season fare?

Yes, he struggled last year after Decker got hurt, no doubt about it. However, this year he has not been an area of concern for the Gophers. I think it is asking too much to tell your QB that putting up 38pts is not good enough. This is on the D and coaching.

I'd also argue that 5th year senior qb's are supposed to will their team to victory. He didn't do that.

He still is staring the record for the most big ten losses by a starting qb right in the face. At least he'll be remembered for something...

I'd also argue that 5th year senior qb's are supposed to will their team to victory. He didn't do that.

That is a fair argument if he has the ball in his hands when the final seconds tick off. But today, he would have had to make Brewster on side kick or play the DB's in the correct position to get that chance. If Joe Montana was playing for the Gophers we would only be 6-6 this year.

The QB can will his way all he wants to, but when the defense does not do their part the QB can not be held accountable...He had a good game except for 2 fumbles and a few overthrows...asking your QB to put up 41 points just to tie the game is not acceptable...

There is no argument for the 38 point rule...we should put up 38 on this team blind folded...Remember the mason days where we'd actually win our first couple games by putting up 50+ points, we should easily have put down 55 points...I will say it wasn't all Weber, it's just he could've been a hell of a lot better today

we should easily have put down 55 points...I will say it wasn't all Weber, it's just he could've been a hell of a lot better today

Call different plays on 4th and short and we would have put up 50+ today. Playcalling is not on Weber.

A few different calls the other way & they would've also put up 50...

Had we scored a TD against Texas Tech in that Bowl Game instead of a FG in the 2nd Half Mason would still be here...

See why the Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda game doesn't work?

Remember the mason days where we'd actually win our first couple games by putting up 50+ points, we should easily have put down 55 points...I will say it wasn't all Weber, it's just he could've been a hell of a lot better today

Do you mean the Mason days where we scored 12 against NDSU?

Ha besides the NDSU game, I'm thinking Toledo...but if you looked down field on every pass play, weber could've went deep for 6, most of the time he locked in on the out route and completed that, which is fine, but when we have better athletes that can get open deep, throw them the damn ball...

A few different calls the other way & they would've also put up 50...

I am not going to argue with you on that, but the playcalling is not Weber's fault. And if we would have had to put up 50+ to be South Dakota, it would not have been on Weber if we lost. With Mason, he took anybody w/ talent on put them on O so we knew going in that the D would suck. With Brewster, he has no excuse - it is simply poor coaching.

Weber is a guy's guy. I love his attitude, perseverance, and stand-up personality. Weber is going to be a winner in life. But he has played very few college football games when he wasn't the second best QB on the field.

2 bad fumbles and overthrows a wide open Gray for a TD. Its more the defense and coaches fault, but he was certainly part of the ineptitude.

Top Bottom