TheGopherGuys: Athan starting vs Iowa

Taji34

Reaction score

They were right last week, but it was clear Tanner was injured vs Nebraska so it was easy to guess. We'll see if they are right this week too, if so then maybe they do have an inside source.

This begs the question, if Athan does start and we beat Iowa does he start vs Wisconsin?

They were right last week, but it was clear Tanner was injured vs Nebraska so it was easy to guess. We'll see if they are right this week too, if so then maybe they do have an inside source.

This begs the question, if Athan does start and we beat Iowa does he start vs Wisconsin?

When Mason was on with Barreiro this week Gaard basically said that Morgan isn't medically able to play.

I don't think we'll see Morgan play again until the bowl game, if ever.

Fleck said in his presser Morgan was at practice but under control of the medical staff. I was hoping Morgan would be available as a backup. Of course Athan starts at Wisconsin if Minnesota beats Iowa.

If true, what a horrible way for Tanner to end his storied career here. Feel bad for the kid. He's given so much to this program over the last few years, both on and off the field. Hope he still receives the senior day he deserves.
Hopefully when they call his name the crowd gives a standing ovation. As controversial his starting role has been this season he is an amazing person and deserves a ton of praise.

The last home game the crowd cheered way more when Athan's name was called right after Tanner. I'd hate to see that happen again on senior day

I have a feeling Morgan isn't going to take any more meaningful snaps the rest of the year. Give him some kind of send off on Saturday or in the bowl game.

There really shouldn't be any question, at this point, regardless of anything.

The torch has been handed over. Athan is the new starting QB. Let's give him some space to make some mistakes and learn from them. Not have Tanner hanging over his head.

Thank you for everything, Tanner!

I hope he gets to come back into at least one more game in a ceremonial fashion.

I would rather have Tanner for this one. The entire Iowa gameplan will be to rattle that QB and create turnovers and a short field and I would rather have the 6 year guy who has won some big games for us than the new guy. I do not know if he is ready for this defense. They are very good and he has not showed a whole lot so far.

I would rather have Tanner for this one. The entire Iowa gameplan will be to rattle that QB and create turnovers and a short field and I would rather have the 6 year guy who has won some big games for us than the new guy. I do not know if he is ready for this defense. They are very good and he has not showed a whole lot so far.
Tanner wasn't even gonna get us into field goal range against Nebraska - we would have been shut out if he didn't get hurt, yet somehow you think he'd do better against Iowa????

As nice as a person as Tanner is, we probably don't cross midfield with him at QB.

I am very grateful that the torch has been passed.

Yeah, I would think if it is a second concussion within that short span, that he is pretty much done playing for the season, including a bowl game. He will get a warm (couldn't resist!) send off on Saturday for sure. Hope he does go the GA route and starts a path down coaching. I'm sure Fleck and the staff could find room to add him.

Dress Tanner so he can at least take the final knee in Victory Formation. The man has done A LOT for this program.
Ceremonially it would be nice, but I can't imagine the risk/liability of putting a player on the field who's most like in the concussion protocol. Look, I know that 99.9% of the time the kneel down is just a formality, but every once in a blue moon the defense has someone get aggressive, jump over the top of the line of scrimmage, etc. and maybe a small scuffle breaks out.

Highly unlikely to happen, but the ramifications would be huge if Tanner was to take any sort of touch to the head in that play. And again, this is a rival we are playing against and none of those players have experienced losing to us.

Hopefully when they call his name the crowd gives a standing ovation. As controversial his starting role has been this season he is an amazing person and deserves a ton of praise.

The last home game the crowd cheered way more when Athan's name was called right after Tanner. I'd hate to see that happen again on senior day
Right, it's more than just football. He's given us some incredible on-field moments, but Tanner is just a great person overall, he deserves the best we can muster. I know I'm sure as hell standing for him.

I wouldn't have a problem if Morgan starts the bowl game.
Yeah - he deserves it if he is healthy. Especially if it's a pretty meaningless bowl game anyway (which seems likely).

What is Tanner's injury? Is it head/concussion related?

I don't know, I think one thing that can even out a good pass rush is a QB that can move around a bit.

Be cool to see tanner get the final snaps in victory formation. I just don’t see the young guy beating Iowa. That defense is sick. Hope I’m off base and they take Floyd

Iowa seems to be doomed unless they can get turnovers to create a short field, pick six, etc.

I am pro-Kaliakmanis in general, but this is the one opponent I’d prefer to see Morgan under center.

If Tanner has had 2 concussions within a couple of weeks, he needs to sit. Too much information now available on the long term damage that they can cause......

OTOH......I would get absolute chills down the spine (not weather related) if he can take the last snap and kneel down a victory!!!

Top Bottom