TheGopherGuys: Athan starting vs Iowa

Picked this up over at the Hawks Rivals site...good stuff...

---------------------------------------------------------

Iowa (6-4, 4-3) vs. Minnesota (7-3, 4-3)
Series: Minnesota leads 62-51-2
Ferentz vs. Minnesota: 17-6
Last Meeting: Iowa 27, Minnesota 22
Trophy: Floyd of Rosedale (since 1935)

1. Iowa has won 7 straight games in this series and In each win, the Hawkeyes were the first team with a lead. Will Iowa be the first team to put points on the scoreboard in this year's contest?

2. Minnesota averages 221.2 rush ypg, 2nd only to Michigan in the B10. Iowa allows an average of only 88.6 rush ypg and held Wisconsin to just 51 yards rushing last week. The Gophers rushed for 189 total yards iin Iowa City last year. Will the Gophers rush for more than 150 yards agaist the Hawks this year?

3. Iowa QB Spencer Petras has thrown only 5 TD passes this season but has 3 TD passes during the Hawks current 3 game winning streak. Will Petras throw a TD pass this week?

4. Minnesota leads the nation in 3rd down conversions (55.6%). In their three B10 losses, however, the Gophers failed to reach a conversion rate of 35% on 3rd down. Will the Hawkeye defense hold the Gopher offense under 35% on 3rd down conversion atempts at Huntington Bank Stadium?

5. Iowa (35.0 ypg) and Minnesota (36.1 ypg) are near the top of the league in fewest penalty yards per game. Will Minnesota finish with more total penalty yards than Iowa on Gopher Senior Day?

6. Both teams enter this contest on a 3 game winning streak. Over that stretch, Iowa has recorded 50 total 1st downs (16.7 avg.) while the Gopher defense has allowed just 30 total 1st downs (10.0 avg.). Will Iowa finish with a least 13 total 1st downs in this B10 border battle?

7. The Gophers have 34 total punts for the season so far (2nd fewest, B10). Only Penn State (7) and Illinois (6), have forced more than 5 MN punts. Will the Hawkeyes force 6 or more Gopher punts on Saturday?

8. In an expected defensive battle, will either team score more than 21 points in this game?

9. Under Ferentz the Hawkeyes are 115-25 (82%) in games with a positive turnover margin (+TOM). The Hawkeyes enter this game with +4 TOM for the season; the Gophers even better at +6 TOM. Will Minnesota commit more turnovers (lost fumbles + INTs) than Iowa in this match-up?

10. Will both teams combine to score at least 34 total points in this contest?

I would rather have Tanner for this one. The entire Iowa gameplan will be to rattle that QB and create turnovers and a short field and I would rather have the 6 year guy who has won some big games for us than the new guy. I do not know if he is ready for this defense. They are very good and he has not showed a whole lot so far.
Even though PJ and Tanner haven't beaten Iowa I'd take experience with Athan ready for backup.

Ceremonially it would be nice, but I can't imagine the risk/liability of putting a player on the field who's most like in the concussion protocol. Look, I know that 99.9% of the time the kneel down is just a formality, but every once in a blue moon the defense has someone get aggressive, jump over the top of the line of scrimmage, etc. and maybe a small scuffle breaks out.

Highly unlikely to happen, but the ramifications would be huge if Tanner was to take any sort of touch to the head in that play. And again, this is a rival we are playing against and none of those players have experienced losing to us.
Put our two meanest guys side by side of Tanner and he'll be just fine. Nothing will happen.

Iowa seems to be doomed unless they can get turnovers to create a short field, pick six, etc.

I am pro-Kaliakmanis in general, but this is the one opponent I’d prefer to see Morgan under center.
Perception and reality of Morgan...in the last three seasons (2020, 2021, 2022), he has thrown 24 TD and 21 INTs. I love Morgan, but if you look at his career stats, 2019 looks like the anomaly.

If he’s physically unable to perform because of concussion, can’t see even doing something like this.
is there much of a difference between letting Casey O'Brien on the field and letting a player in the concussion protocol take a knee?

Fleck said in his presser Morgan was at practice but under control of the medical staff. I was hoping Morgan would be available as a backup. Of course Athan starts at Wisconsin if Minnesota beats Iowa.

With Two concussions in a month, we have no idea how his physical/mental health is now; no sane coach/medical staff would put him in a position for number 3 in such a short period of time.
It’s only football and he’s got a lot of living to do

Picked this up over at the Hawks Rivals site...good stuff...

---------------------------------------------------------

Iowa (6-4, 4-3) vs. Minnesota (7-3, 4-3)
Series: Minnesota leads 62-51-2
Ferentz vs. Minnesota: 17-6
Last Meeting: Iowa 27, Minnesota 22
Trophy: Floyd of Rosedale (since 1935)

1. Iowa has won 7 straight games in this series and In each win, the Hawkeyes were the first team with a lead. Will Iowa be the first team to put points on the scoreboard in this year's contest?

2. Minnesota averages 221.2 rush ypg, 2nd only to Michigan in the B10. Iowa allows an average of only 88.6 rush ypg and held Wisconsin to just 51 yards rushing last week. The Gophers rushed for 189 total yards iin Iowa City last year. Will the Gophers rush for more than 150 yards agaist the Hawks this year?

3. Iowa QB Spencer Petras has thrown only 5 TD passes this season but has 3 TD passes during the Hawks current 3 game winning streak. Will Petras throw a TD pass this week?

4. Minnesota leads the nation in 3rd down conversions (55.6%). In their three B10 losses, however, the Gophers failed to reach a conversion rate of 35% on 3rd down. Will the Hawkeye defense hold the Gopher offense under 35% on 3rd down conversion atempts at Huntington Bank Stadium?

5. Iowa (35.0 ypg) and Minnesota (36.1 ypg) are near the top of the league in fewest penalty yards per game. Will Minnesota finish with more total penalty yards than Iowa on Gopher Senior Day?

6. Both teams enter this contest on a 3 game winning streak. Over that stretch, Iowa has recorded 50 total 1st downs (16.7 avg.) while the Gopher defense has allowed just 30 total 1st downs (10.0 avg.). Will Iowa finish with a least 13 total 1st downs in this B10 border battle?

7. The Gophers have 34 total punts for the season so far (2nd fewest, B10). Only Penn State (7) and Illinois (6), have forced more than 5 MN punts. Will the Hawkeyes force 6 or more Gopher punts on Saturday?

8. In an expected defensive battle, will either team score more than 21 points in this game?

9. Under Ferentz the Hawkeyes are 115-25 (82%) in games with a positive turnover margin (+TOM). The Hawkeyes enter this game with +4 TOM for the season; the Gophers even better at +6 TOM. Will Minnesota commit more turnovers (lost fumbles + INTs) than Iowa in this match-up?

10. Will both teams combine to score at least 34 total points in this contest?

I agree. This is good stuff. The author took the most in-depth step-by-step approach that I've seen.

With Two concussions in a month, we have no idea how his physical/mental health is now; no sane coach/medical staff would put him in a position for number 3 in such a short period of time.
It’s only football and he’s got a lot of living to do

Yes, like maybe 60 years or more.

Athan gives the team the best shot just with the threat of keeping it in the RPO. Even so, would have loved to see Tanner take the field on Sr day and play the game of his life.
I understand your reasoning in thinking Athan gives us the best shot at winning this one. I disagree though. I think the best chance either team has of winning is if the other turns the ball over a couple times. In my view, Tanner would give us the best chance at ball control. I like watching Athon more and think he has a higher upside though.

I understand your reasoning in thinking Athan gives us the best shot at winning this one. I disagree though. I think the best chance either team has of winning is if the other turns the ball over a couple times. In my view, Tanner would give us the best chance at ball control. I like watching Athon more and think he has a higher upside though.
I hope he plays his heart out and wins it for the Seniors/Tanner!

They were right last week, but it was clear Tanner was injured vs Nebraska so it was easy to guess. We'll see if they are right this week too, if so then maybe they do have an inside source.

This begs the question, if Athan does start and we beat Iowa does he start vs Wisconsin?
When Tanner got the second concussion, his season was over.

As it should be, if that is true! Don't F around with your head. Not worth it.

Putting his health concerns aside, I would say the following. If you're talking about the Tanner that we saw throughout his career here, I agree completely. If you're talking about the Tanner we saw in his last start against Nebraska, I don't agree. That one spooked me. He seemed to be a bundle of nerves and he seemed to freeze up. In his previous three starts against Iowa (2019, 2020, 2021), Tanner has been sacked 12 times. I think I'd rather have the QB who doesn't have the memories of dread right now and the one who is more capable of scrambling to avoid sacks and gain positive yardage with his feet.

Last edited:

That Nebraska injury looked severe and scary. Damage to the nervous system or the brain can be life-altering. With two injuries of this kind within a month, you have to worry about the long-term impact.

Let's hope and pray that he recovers fully. There are things more important than football.

Putting his health concerns aside, I would say the following. If you're talking about the Tanner that we saw throughout his career here, I agree completely. If you're talking about the Tanner we saw in his last start against Nebraska, I don't agree. That one spooked me. He seemed to be a bundle of nerves and he seemed freeze up. In his previous three starts against Iowa (2019, 2020, 2021), Tanner has been sacked 12 times. I think I'd rather have the QB who doesn't have the memories of dread right now and the one who is more capable of scrambling to avoid sacks and gain positive yardage with his feet.
Fair enough.

I think it’s going to be a long cold day boys. Freshman qb against that beast of a defense. I don’t see a win here.

Same, hope he is able to play some meaningful football before it is done.b
If he had a second concussion, his season is done. No player is medically allowed to play the for rest of the season.

8 has guts—win or lose I’m glad we are rolling with him. He needs to be released in the run game for us to win. The last thing 2 needed is to be beaten into the ground by 31 and 44 those two are really good and will be chasing 8 all day.

Top Bottom