The Silly Season (Coaching Changes)

nsmike

Reaction score
The Coaching Carousel officially starts with the end of the regular season let's try to keep track here.

Final Update 12/22/11
BCS Schools
Penn State

Positions filled
Akron Terry Bowden
Arkansas State Gus Malzahn
Arizona Rich Rodriquez
ASU Todd Graham
CSU Jim McElwain
FAU Carl Pelini
Fresno State Tim DeRuyter
Hawaii Norm Chow
Houston Tony Levine
Illinois Tim Beckman
Kansas Charlie Weis
Memphis Justin Fuentes
Mississippi Hugh Freeze
New Mexico Bob Davie
North Carolina Larry Fedora
Ohio State Urban Meyer
Pittsburgh Paul Chryst
Southern Mississippi Ellis Johnson
Texas A&M Kevin Sumlin
Toledo Matt Campbell
Tulane Curtis Johnson
UAB Garrick McGee
UCLA Jim Mora
UMass (moving up to FBS will be a football only member of the MAC) Charley Molnar
Washington State Mike Leach

I've heard both Illinois and Arizona State just waiting for it to become official.

Reports are that Paul Wulff will be fired at Washington State.

Reports are that there are lots of reports out there.

Like it was said will be shocked if Zook is not fired after this season the way that team fell apart. I think Neuheisel is toast at UCLA and Arizona State is open as well. If you believe any of the rumors (and I for one do) then OSU already has their guy in Urban Meyer and are just waiting to make it official probably after the team banquet.

On the lower level FAU is also looking for a coach. Some rumors that Akron is going after Tressell will be interesting to see if he would consider dropping down to the MAC to repair his image before trying to get back to the BCS level.

It's official, Zook is out at Illinois, the list has been updated. Memphis was on the list from the beginning.

Turner Gill at Kansas and Derek Dooley at Tennessee are on very thin ice too.

Turner Gill at Kansas and Derek Dooley at Tennessee are on very thin ice too.

Those would be quick hooks, especially for Gill. Who is going to take that job if you are going to get fired in two years? Wonder if Mark Mangino or Phillip Fullmer get shots if the next few weeks see a lot of firings.

Those would be quick hooks, especially for Gill. Who is going to take that job if you are going to get fired in two years? Wonder if Mark Mangino or Phillip Fullmer get shots if the next few weeks see a lot of firings.
Along with the retreads which coordinators move up to be head coaches? Does Paul Chryst leave Wisconsin? What happens to Tom Bradley?

Chryst might have coached his way past a MAC job right into a BCS position. Gus Malzahn and Kirby Smart would make sense. Bradley is a proven recruiter, but that situation is so toxic, I don't see him getting a BCS head coaching position. I don't see a job enticing enough to lure Patterson away from TCU.

Maybe Peterson and Sumlin see the writing on the wall with their franchise QB's leaving and jump at a Penn State or Tennessee if they open. Does Texas give Mack Brown another year? Larry Fedora has proven himself worthy of a promotion too. Does Dan Mullen's agent push him to jump if he is concerned about his star falling if they struggle in SEC play again next year? He would be a natural fit in Happy Valley.

I would add Boston College, and Colorado State to your list. If not open surely soon.

ESPN reporting Gill has been fired.

I watched Texas stomp Kansas in Austin. Kansas looked like a High School team.

I would add Boston College, and Colorado State to your list. If not open surely soon.
The BC AD has given the HC a vote of confidence. Sometimes it means trouble, but with the OC out on a leave of absense for most of the year, I see mor a Coordinator change rather than a HC. CSU is definately a candidate but I'll wait until it's official.

ESPN reporting Gill has been fired.

I watched Texas stomp Kansas in Austin. Kansas looked like a High School team.

That is crap. You give a guy 2 years to get it done in Lawrence? Good luck finding a legit upgrade there. Call Maturi and sign them up for a series of mid-season homecoming games.

Chryst might have coached his way past a MAC job right into a BCS position. Gus Malzahn and Kirby Smart would make sense. Bradley is a proven recruiter, but that situation is so toxic, I don't see him getting a BCS head coaching position. I don't see a job enticing enough to lure Patterson away from TCU.

Maybe Peterson and Sumlin see the writing on the wall with their franchise QB's leaving and jump at a Penn State or Tennessee if they open. Does Texas give Mack Brown another year? Larry Fedora has proven himself worthy of a promotion too. Does Dan Mullen's agent push him to jump if he is concerned about his star falling if they struggle in SEC play again next year? He would be a natural fit in Happy Valley.

After beating A&M Mack is safe for another year.

The BC AD has given the HC a vote of confidence. Sometimes it means trouble, but with the OC out on a leave of absense for most of the year, I see mor a Coordinator change rather than a HC. CSU is definately a candidate but I'll wait until it's official.

We hear Leach at Washington State, but I thought a BCS school was out of the question for him and he would have to settle for a Mountain West school like Wyoming. Colorado State fits that bill and I see The Pirate winning big in Fort Collins quicker and being a pain in Chris Petersen's ass than trying to make it happen in Pullman. I think his persona would be tolerated more at a Colorado State too.

We hear Leach at Washington State, but I thought a BCS school was out of the question for him and he would have to settle for a Mountain West school like Wyoming. Colorado State fits that bill and I see The Pirate winning big in Fort Collins quicker and being a pain in Chris Petersen's ass than trying to make it happen in Pullman. I think his persona would be tolerated more at a Colorado State too.
I agree! The talk about Leach at WSU is a lot like the talk last year of Leach here.
Kansas has been confirmened and updated also UAB.

My gut tells me Leach is a perfect fit for ASU. I assume Dennis Erickson is done and ASU just seems to be a perfect fit. Good weather for the Air Raid offense. He can cheery pick recruits from SoCal that do not go to USC and he is still fairly close to Texas and the connection he built while at TT. No inside info at all, just seems like the best fit.

Per ESPN:

"Kansas fired football coach Turner Gill on Sunday after two losing seasons, athletic director Sheahon Zenger announced.

"After a thorough evaluation of our football program, I have concluded that new leadership is necessary to place us on the path toward competing for championships in the Big 12 Conference," Zenger said. "I come to this conclusion reluctantly, because I have the utmost respect for Turner Gill as a quality individual who wants only the best for the young men he coaches."

Gill signed a five-year, $10 million contract in December 2009. Kansas will pay Gill $6 million not to coach, The Associated Press reported.

Gill went 5-19 after two seasons in charge, and finished this season 0-10, with the latest loss a 24-10 letdown to rival Missouri on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City."

The KU AD is a moron...

I wonder if this was a year earlier if Jerry Kill returns home to coach the Jayhawks or even stays in-state with the Illini. Timing is everything.

Chryst might have coached his way past a MAC job right into a BCS position. Gus Malzahn and Kirby Smart would make sense. Bradley is a proven recruiter, but that situation is so toxic, I don't see him getting a BCS head coaching position. I don't see a job enticing enough to lure Patterson away from TCU..

All I want for Chryst-mas is for Chryst to get a head coaching gig and to take Bostad (O-line coach/Run Game coordinator) with him. Those two have been keeping BB's head above water for far too long. Chryst was almost gone last year. Let's see what happens in the next 4-6 weeks.

I would think Venables is in line of a long look as a HC.

I frankly don't know if Wisconsin will miss Chryst right away. I don't know how much recruiting he does. Good offensive mind, but I've always thought his original success came as much from precision as athleticism. What the Badgers have done is take a solid, precise system and continually raise the level of athletic ability of the players on the offense. Curious to see how simply being precise would translate to wins and losses for Chryst at a big program out of the gate.

All I want for Chryst-mas is for Chryst to get a head coaching gig and to take Bostad (O-line coach/Run Game coordinator) with him. Those two have been keeping BB's head above water for far too long. Chryst was almost gone last year. Let's see what happens in the next 4-6 weeks.
The interesting thing is that if Chryst leaves and takes Bostad that would most likely mean Hammock gets promoted to OC. I would also prefer that Chryst ends up out of conference.

Top Bottom