The PP writer Who Broke Clem-Gate Writes Book on AAU

Life is good for Dohrmann and he can thank Clem, Jan, and Russ especially for the material.

Before Clemgate he helped bring down Jim Harrick at UCLA as well.

I don't think anything fell into his lap.

the minnesota story most definately fell in his lap, he had most of the initial story handed to him on a platter and ran with it. If Russ doesn't get kicked off, the story never comes out.

And as a random side note, Justin Cobbs makes a brief appearance in the book.

Sorry but I'M NOT wrong on this. My stepdaughter is a prominent UCLA sport alum (member of Bruins HOF) and CANNOT speak to UCLA recruits or their parents.

Yes - if Michael Jordan speaks to UNC recruits, it's an NCAA recruiting violation.

Dude, you're wrong. Just speaking to a recruit/their parent is not an NCAA violation. Lobbying the recruit to attend your school is a violation, but just speaking with them is not. That's just common sense. You think the NCAA gives a crap about whether you talk with Tyus Jones about the weather? Find me a bylaw that says it's a violation to speak with a recruit/their parents for any reason, and I'll find the caveat that makes it clear your interpretation is wrong.

Here's an excerpt from the Purdue :) compliance department explaining what the rule is for boosters (I put the important caveat in bold for emphasis):
"Under NCAA rules, a booster may NOT ...
Contact prospects or be involved in the recruitment of prospects in any way.
As a general rule, only coaches can be involved in the recruiting process. A booster is prohibited from having any contact with a prospect or a prospect's family at any location for the purpose of encouraging the prospect to attend Purdue University and participate in athletics. This rule prohibits not only in-person contact but also contact by any other means (i.e. phone, e-mail, internet chat room, text message, etc.)."
http://www.purdue.edu/athletics/jpc/membership/NCAA_Compliance.html

If Russ doesn't get kicked off, the story never comes out.

With tons of respect, JG: Do you honestly think that story would never have broken? It was an absolute "accident" waiting to happen, in my view. Massive, huge lies dependent upon many people can't be covered up forever, can they?

With tons of respect, JG: Do you honestly think that story would never have broken? It was an absolute "accident" waiting to happen, in my view. Massive, huge lies dependent upon many people can't be covered up forever, can they?

are you saying there was a second shooter/ghost writer?

Most high school coaches hate AAU programs. The lack of fundamentals and regulated play make it easy for the players to pick up bad habits. Summers full of run and gun, no defense and being spoiled turn into a culture shock when they start high school play. AAU has hurt more high school programs and players than help in my opinion.

How much AAU do you watch?

Most high school coaches don't deal with the types of AAU players talked about in this book. There are 100's of AAU teams in Minnesota and not all of them are "being spoiled" and have summers full of "run and gun". You need to distinguish between the minority and majority when discussing AAU.

The majority: Kids who love playing basketball and want to improve. Usually play with kids from their school/city and travel within the state to tournaments. Might venture to Wisconsin or the Dakotas for a weekend. These kids are often driven by their parents, friends parents or if they are 16+ drive themselves. They are coached by a high school coach/assistant or someones dad.

The minority: Kids who are recruited to play for the top teams in their state. Often times are traveling to different states to play in tournaments with scouts from dozens (or more) D1 schools watching their games. These kids are there to put on a show. They might love the game but even at an early age its a business. Not all of these kids are in the wrong, but their parents expect D1 offers.

I might have embellished a bit on both of those, but I think its far more correct then a lot of peoples perceptions on AAU. I played for 8 years and had exactly 2 coaches talk to me about playing college ball. Granted, I'm not fast, 6ft, an average shooter and didn't do anything great. However, it did make me a better player because an extra 25-30 games a year taught me a lot. I learned situations, I learned what it felt like to lose and play against great players. Everyone here needs to realize books like this are about AAU teams, but not your typical AAU team.

It's an excellent book.

And am I reading this thread right? Someone who hasn't read the book, and is clearly biased towards a certain school, is bashing the book? That can't be right.

While Dohrmann may have had the Gopher story handed to him...he still ran with it and put it together in a fabulous way. I hated the press for the timing of the story..but thats done. I actually went to high school with Dohrmann (one year ahead) and have a lot of common friends. He is good people and a very talented writer and hard worker. He has earned everything.

Its a great book. I couldn't put it down.
Khoffman43 is right... it is a minority of AAU teams, but true nevertheless.
It is amazing the detail and specifics that are written about in the book. I understand the author is not a favorite person here in MN, but it is a fascinating book.
Having spent many hours and miles on the AAU circuit, it all felt familiar (to a point, not to that extreme).
One of the most important messages that I believe is - in the warning of ranking and hyping payers up so young. There is not a benefit to the player that I can see.

Top Bottom