The PP writer Who Broke Clem-Gate Writes Book on AAU

akgopher

Reaction score
George Dohrmann wrote a recent book titled Play Their Hearts Out. I'm reading it now and it is a good read, only in hardcover, so it runs $25. Most of us remember Dohrmann as the journalist who worked with Jan Ganglehoff to blow the whistle on the culture of academic integrity under the Haskins regime while he worked for the Pioneer Press.

His book is the result of following powerhouse AAU coach Joe Keller for 8 years with open access. Keller found Tyson Chandler and lost him to a Nike program led by Pat Barrett as a high schooler. Barrett made serious money off Chandler's development.

Dohrmann finds Keller a few years later with a new plan. Start a super team of 10 year olds with hopes of keeping them together and cashing in like Pat Barrett. Keller finds the "next Tyson Chandler" in Demetrius Walker who is tabbed as the best 10 year old player in the nation and builds a team around him. Walker is now a redshirt sophomore at New Mexico. Justin Cobbs was brought in for a short while on the team.

It's a wicked story and might shed some light on why Coach Smith struggled with Devoe Joseph. The book discusses how hard it is for college coaches to handle AAU stars who get cash, clothes, shoes, and even girls they meet on the road flown in as high schoolers. I inferred that the book suggests that the power of the AAU coach in some instances is impossible for a college coach to match even when the player in enrolled at the school. I can't help but think of the Devoe Joseph/Ro Russell dynamic while reading the book. There's also a bit of irony in that Keller and Barrett don't coach players much on fundamentals or during games, but focus on recruiting instead and devising plays that highlight the athletic ability of their stars in hopes that it attracts new, more talented players to their teams.

Great book, and an eye opener. I would be interested in hearing how people plugged in to the local AAU scene here can compare and contrast our situation to that in the book.

I've been reading this too... so far, so good. But not very far in yet. Have had a lot of people recommend it.

Yes, the book is fantastic if you want a good look at what AAU basketball (which impacts college basketball) is really like.

But if you really believe that the sport is clean, that it isn't big business and that players aren't simply parts that can be easily disgarded, you might want to pass on the book and keep your head buried in the sand.

I went to a reading that George did at the Barnes & Noble in Edina back in the fall when the book came out.

I don't recommend it. The only thing I know about that book is he accused UCLA and OSU of NCAA violations, the part where he accuses OSU of NCAA violations stems from Clark Kellogg allegedly telling the father of a recruit that he heard his son was the missing piece to the puzzle for OSU. Dohrmann did no follow-up with Kellogg, just took the word of the father of the recruit on the substance of his conversation with Kellogg and ran with it as a violation. The problem with that (other than not getting the other side of the story) is the father is a convicted felon currently serving a long prison term for sexually abusing two female patients while working in a facility for patients with severe brain injuries. Kellogg was later asked about it by reporters and compliance officials, and denied doing anything other than providing general counsel about the recruiting process to the parent.

I feel this book was written with shock value in mind, and without a fair & balanced approach to researching the facts.

I don't recommend it. The only thing I know about that book is he accused UCLA and OSU of NCAA violations, the part where he accuses OSU of NCAA violations stems from Clark Kellogg allegedly telling the father of a recruit that he heard his son was the missing piece to the puzzle for OSU. Dohrmann did no follow-up with Kellogg, just took the word of the father of the recruit on the substance of his conversation with Kellogg and ran with it as a violation. The problem with that (other than not getting the other side of the story) is the father is a convicted felon currently serving a long prison term for sexually abusing two female patients while working in a facility for patients with severe brain injuries. Kellogg was later asked about it by reporters and compliance officials, and denied doing anything other than providing general counsel about the recruiting process to the parent.

I feel this book was written with shock value in mind, and without a fair & balanced approach to researching the facts.

Imagine that.

And my favorite part of this comment is that it suggests that Kellog was the abuser. Fun with grammar is fun.

If Kellogg was talking to the parent or the kid, which he admitted, it is an NCAA violation.

No, it's not a violation just to talk to parents. If it were a violation for one of the most well-known college basketball analysts just to speak to parents about college basketball, that would be absurd. It's a violation to LOBBY the parents to go to a certain school.

No, it's not a violation just to talk to parents. If it were a violation for one of the most well-known college basketball analysts just to speak to parents about college basketball, that would be absurd. It's a violation to LOBBY the parents to go to a certain school.

In THIS case (because Kellogg is prominent OSU alum) it IS an NCAA violation for Kellogg to speak to a recruit's parents.

OSUfan, did you read the book?

I said before all I know about it is the part about accusing UCLA and OSU of violations, and the fact that the part where he accuses OSU of violations is inaccurate and relies on a very shaky source. You go ahead and write a book reciting stories from a man who sexually abused two female patients with severe brain injuries & make no effort to get the other side of the story from the man a story disparages, but don't expect me to read it or take it seriously.

The best way to sell/promote books is to have shock value, and Dohrmann tries to get that. The problem is he gets it through using unreliable sources. Heck, I could probably write a pretty alarming book about college basketball recruiting - find me all the felons who had sons who were recruited to play college basketball and I'll have a good start - I'll just interview them and take their word for gospel truth, not bother trying to determine whether what they say is true or not, and I'll have my book.

You think anyone's going to write/buy a book that says college basketball recruiting is either clean or not nearly as dirty as many people think?

George Dohrmann wrote a recent book titled Play Their Hearts Out. I'm reading it now and it is a good read, only in hardcover, so it runs $25. Most of us remember Dohrmann as the journalist who worked with Jan Ganglehoff to blow the whistle on the culture of academic integrity under the Haskins regime while he worked for the Pioneer Press.

His book is the result of following powerhouse AAU coach Joe Keller for 8 years with open access. Keller found Tyson Chandler and lost him to a Nike program led by Pat Barrett as a high schooler. Barrett made serious money off Chandler's development.

Dohrmann finds Keller a few years later with a new plan. Start a super team of 10 year olds with hopes of keeping them together and cashing in like Pat Barrett. Keller finds the "next Tyson Chandler" in Demetrius Walker who is tabbed as the best 10 year old player in the nation and builds a team around him. Walker is now a redshirt sophomore at New Mexico. Justin Cobbs was brought in for a short while on the team.

It's a wicked story and might shed some light on why Coach Smith struggled with Devoe Joseph. The book discusses how hard it is for college coaches to handle AAU stars who get cash, clothes, shoes, and even girls they meet on the road flown in as high schoolers. I inferred that the book suggests that the power of the AAU coach in some instances is impossible for a college coach to match even when the player in enrolled at the school. I can't help but think of the Devoe Joseph/Ro Russell dynamic while reading the book. There's also a bit of irony in that Keller and Barrett don't coach players much on fundamentals or during games, but focus on recruiting instead and devising plays that highlight the athletic ability of their stars in hopes that it attracts new, more talented players to their teams.

Great book, and an eye opener. I would be interested in hearing how people plugged in to the local AAU scene here can compare and contrast our situation to that in the book.

Ro Russell did not want Joseph or Walker to attend Minnesota.

In THIS case (because Kellogg is prominent OSU alum) it IS an NCAA violation for Kellogg to speak to a recruit's parents.

No, you are completely wrong. Kellogg is allowed to speak to recruits' parents about basketball and the recruiting process in general. He is just not allowed to lobby them to go to a particular school. You think it's a violation for UNC every time somebody goes up to Michael Jordan and asks him about college basketball?

Ho Boy...Here we go. I am surprised that there is no money, nor influence affecting the decisions made by 16-17-18 year old kids. They do NOT know any better. Adults do.

I said before all I know about it is the part about accusing UCLA and OSU of violations, and the fact that the part where he accuses OSU of violations is inaccurate and relies on a very shaky source. You go ahead and write a book reciting stories from a man who sexually abused two female patients with severe brain injuries & make no effort to get the other side of the story from the man a story disparages, but don't expect me to read it or take it seriously.

The best way to sell/promote books is to have shock value, and Dohrmann tries to get that. The problem is he gets it through using unreliable sources. Heck, I could probably write a pretty alarming book about college basketball recruiting - find me all the felons who had sons who were recruited to play college basketball and I'll have a good start - I'll just interview them and take their word for gospel truth, not bother trying to determine whether what they say is true or not, and I'll have my book.

You think anyone's going to write/buy a book that says college basketball recruiting is either clean or not nearly as dirty as many people think?

Having actually, you know, read the book, you are just making yourself look silly. You should quit while you are further behind.

OSUFan, so you are ripping a book that is more than 400 pages because you don't like one story in it?

And the book isn't really about recruiting. It's about the eight-year journey of a AAU team and a coach and what goes into making elite prospects and how adults take advantage of some of these kids.

If you're going to rip a book, maybe you should at least read it first.

What OSU didn't expound on is that the father that Kellogg influenced was implicated with Lee Harvey Oswald and James Earl Ray, is Al Queda's lead operative in the U.S., and a vampire.

OSUFan, so you are ripping a book that is more than 400 pages because you don't like one story in it?

And the book isn't really about recruiting. It's about the eight-year journey of a AAU team and a coach and what goes into making elite prospects and how adults take advantage of some of these kids.

If you're going to rip a book, maybe you should at least read it first.

That one story undermines the integrity of the whole book in my mind. I know he was just flinging crap at the wall on that one story, so I don't need to know what else he's writing. I suspect it is something like the basketball version of "Fast Food Nation" - it's agenda is obvious.

That one story undermines the integrity of the whole book in my mind. I know he was just flinging crap at the wall on that one story, so I don't need to know what else he's writing. I suspect it is something like the basketball version of "Fast Food Nation" - it's agenda is obvious.

So OSU cheats, but only so much as Fast Food is unhealthy? Got it. ;)

OSU Fan, what is the agenda of the book, to take down OSU or UCLA, b/c i thought it was to shed some light on a larger issue(yes there are larger issues in college sports, and not all of them exlusively revolve around OSU) in college sports...

OSUfan,

I respectfully disagree. One needs to experience something (in this case, read the book) to have an educated opinion of something.

If you read the book and then say that it sucks, I can respect that. Until then, I don't think your opinion is worth a nickel.

The agenda is to paint grassroots basketball as bad, so bad that it's shocking enough to get people to read the book and get other people to read the book. I think his agenda causes him to engage in poor journalism. If you don't think someone can fairly judge a book based on an excerpt being bad journalism, I guess that's your opinion and I can't argue with that. He promotes his book based on false accusations of NCAA violations re: OSU, and that's something I'm not going to buy. I'm of the opinion that including the Kellogg "violation" and promoting his book based on it shows a fundamental flaw in his approach to the issues, i.e., that he's willing to jump to conclusions and besmirch people/things without really knowing what he's talking about.

No, you are completely wrong. Kellogg is allowed to speak to recruits' parents about basketball and the recruiting process in general. He is just not allowed to lobby them to go to a particular school. You think it's a violation for UNC every time somebody goes up to Michael Jordan and asks him about college basketball?

Sorry but I'M NOT wrong on this. My stepdaughter is a prominent UCLA sport alum (member of Bruins HOF) and CANNOT speak to UCLA recruits or their parents.

Yes - if Michael Jordan speaks to UNC recruits, it's an NCAA recruiting violation.

Most high school coaches hate AAU programs. The lack of fundamentals and regulated play make it easy for the players to pick up bad habits. Summers full of run and gun, no defense and being spoiled turn into a culture shock when they start high school play. AAU has hurt more high school programs and players than help in my opinion.

I read the book and mentioned it on here one time previously. I came away from it wondering how Dohrman feels about the "scandal" at Minnesota now.

The agenda is to paint grassroots basketball as bad, so bad that it's shocking enough to get people to read the book and get other people to read the book. I think his agenda causes him to engage in poor journalism. If you don't think someone can fairly judge a book based on an excerpt being bad journalism, I guess that's your opinion and I can't argue with that. He promotes his book based on false accusations of NCAA violations re: OSU, and that's something I'm not going to buy. I'm of the opinion that including the Kellogg "violation" and promoting his book based on it shows a fundamental flaw in his approach to the issues, i.e., that he's willing to jump to conclusions and besmirch people/things without really knowing what he's talking about.

Why not just read the book?

I read the book and mentioned it on here one time previously. I came away from it wondering how Dohrman feels about the "scandal" at Minnesota now.

I'm thinking he's pretty grateful for that gift falling into his lap. He wins a Pulitzer Prize for the article, gets out of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, hired by Sports Illustrated, and signed by a major publisher. Life is good for Dohrmann and he can thank Clem, Jan, and Russ especially for the material.

Another review from the Mpls Library website:

Basketball fans frequently hear references to AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) summer leagues, in which young players have a chance to hone their games. The AAU leagues are often criticized for exploiting young kids, but most of these charges have been based on rumor or hearsay. Until now. Dohrmann, the last sportswriter to win a Pulitzer Prize, spent approximately nine years researching this book; the story begins in 2000, when he convinced AAU coach Joe Keller to give him unfettered access to his team, the Inland Stars. The only condition was that the book wouldn't be published until the players then 9 and 10 years old were in college. Keller is a fascinating subject, a mix of positive characteristics he is a genuinely caring father figure for many of his players and profoundly negative. In Dohrmann's portrayal, Keller emerges as a shameless promoter of himself and his players, a poor coach, and a man for whom ethics are always relative. Money, of course, is key; surprisingly, there are lots of ways for coaches to profit in the underground basketball world, mainly from shoe companies (the real villains in this story) in the form of cash as well as products, prestige, and influence. In fact, as Dohrmann shows, everyone makes money in this amateur enterprise except the kids. An eye-opening look at the underbelly of modern American sports.--Lukowsky, Wes Copyright 2010 Booklist
From Booklist, Copyright © American Library Association. Used with permission.

https://catalog.hclib.org/ipac20/ip...rch&source=~!horizon&enhancedcontentdata=true

Top Bottom