The NFL Is Seriously Concerned With Empty Stadiums

Still a win for the NFL. Now they can shop the Rams or Chargers to Las Vegas, or San Diego again, or St Louis again, or Omaha!, or whoever wants to build a publicly funded NFL stadium and see their economy boom and their city become big time!

So bitter. That $10 you've contributed (I mean had stolen from you) to the Twins stadium since 2010 really has you torqued, eh? MN should have told all the pro teams to pound sand. With only the Gophers in town, they'd still be winning national titles. :rolleyes: No one is forcing these cities to do anything. If it's a terrible deal, let them move.

Subsidized transportation for a subsidized pro sports stadium built in the wrong place. Only a misguided bureaucrat could love it. Doubling down on dumb.

Are you able to stream NFL games on WebTV?

I've found myself less and less interested in the NFL every year. I still watch games on Sunday, but I don't pay as much attention.

I've found myself less and less interested in the NFL every year. I still watch games on Sunday, but I don't pay as much attention.

Same here. I don't even bother with fantasy football anymore. I just don't care.

Same here. I don't even bother with fantasy football anymore. I just don't care.

Me too and my brothers all say the same thing.
What do you think it is? Getting older and more important things? Too many other things that are more interesting? Game is too slow with replay?

I blame too much coverage.

It's a combo of factors, but I think this might take the biggest slice. The Thursday games are generally dreadful and by Monday, I'm over it if the Vikings aren't playing, so I generally watch Sunday games only. That said, both Thursday and SNF will be in the top 5 in the ratings, and MNF will be #1 on cable even if they are down. Also, with regards to fantasy, they are the victims of their own success. You don't really need to watch games to follow along when your app will alert you 3 seconds later every time something happens.

What do you think it is? Getting older and more important things? Too many other things that are more interesting? Game is too slow with replay?

I feel like fantasy football was the only thing that kept me interested for years. I'm not a Vikings guy, so that doesn't help either. I only have enough love for the Gophers I guess. Plus...college football is more exciting by a long shot imo.

Unfortunately......the draft is by far the best part of fantasy football. Still really enjoy playing. Makes many of the games much more fun to watch. Especially when I have nearly $700 invested in my three leagues. And since I commonly lose when betting the NFL.....this works for me. Still like to bet college football though. Early season games are when you can make hay. The folks that set the lines don't quite know what they are dealing with. Halfway through the season......forget it. They are sharp as hell when setting the lines.

I feel like fantasy football was the only thing that kept me interested for years. I'm not a Vikings guy, so that doesn't help either. I only have enough love for the Gophers I guess. Plus...college football is more exciting by a long shot imo.

Agreed. I'm a Vikings fan.....but I shrug off a loss easily. Years of poor Minnesota sports will do that to you. The Gophers are the only team that I TRULY care about.

I think the decline in interest in the NFL is overexposure and smartphones. People don't even watch games anymore. They get more instant gratification staring at their phones.

Are you able to stream NFL games on WebTV?

I do not watch any NFL since the Kaepernick "protests" started and doubt I will ever watch again. The Gophers (win or lose) are all the football I care about. I don't even look for the scores from the Vikings games anymore and have dropped the Panthers too.

Unfortunately......the draft is by far the best part of fantasy football. Still really enjoy playing. Makes many of the games much more fun to watch. Especially when I have nearly $700 invested in my three leagues. And since I commonly lose when betting the NFL.....this works for me. Still like to bet college football though. Early season games are when you can make hay. The folks that set the lines don't quite know what they are dealing with. Halfway through the season......forget it. They are sharp as hell when setting the lines.

Some easy money on Dogs + 50 or 60. Although freaking Rutgers covered a huge # against Morgan State. Sorry I doubted you Jerry.

I do not watch any NFL since the Kaepernick "protests" started and doubt I will ever watch again. The Gophers (win or lose) are all the football I care about. I don't even look for the scores from the Vikings games anymore and have dropped the Panthers too.

Except, now the pro-Kaepernick folks are boycotting the NFL for blackballing him. So according to GOP rule 1: If it upsets Liberals, I'm in favor of it no matter what it is, you must start watching the NFL again. Sorry.

Two things. I notice less shots of the crowd during TV coverage. Also, IMO, they seem to be using "canned" crowd noise to make it seem like the crowd is larger and fully engaged. The NFL fan base is dying and broke. Game over. Go Gophers!

A big reason for me is the rules. They favor the QB and passing game too much. You can't hit the QB anywhere. In college they let WRs and DBs battle a little bit. In the NFL they'll give an automatic 1st down or award a 50 yard PI penalty if the DB just touches the WR.

There are others things like the games in London. I think it's a slap in the face to the fans in the US that made the NFL what it is. When you only have 8 home games, losing 1 is a big deal. And there's no way the Cowboys or Packers will ever lose a home game to London.

Except, now the pro-Kaepernick folks are boycotting the NFL for blackballing him. So according to GOP rule 1: If it upsets Liberals, I'm in favor of it no matter what it is, you must start watching the NFL again. Sorry.
There are other guys that are taking over for him in his absence, Michael Bennett and a bunch from Cleveland. As bad as the Browns suck, I'd think they want to prioritize their play on the field instead of their politics.

Agreed. I'm a Vikings fan.....but I shrug off a loss easily. Years of poor Minnesota sports will do that to you. The Gophers are the only team that I TRULY care about.

Describes me, as well.

LOL, that is pretty good. I actually agree with radio show host Hugh Hewitt. He's a die-hard, long suffering Brown's fan. When asked by a fellow conservative why he's not boycotting the Browns and the NFL due to the kneeling for the anthem, Hugh said, screw that, I'm not letting a few guys determine whether I enjoy my favorite sport or not.

Saying Kaepernick or the kneeling is having a significant effect on ticket sales is about the equivalent of saying millennials are killing off chain restaurants.

Two things. I notice less shots of the crowd during TV coverage. Also, IMO, they seem to be using "canned" crowd noise to make it seem like the crowd is larger and fully engaged. The NFL fan base is dying and broke. Game over. Go Gophers!

Lol. Compared to what? MLB and the NHL would kill for the NFL fan base. And the Gophers would kill for the Vikings. It's in a decline period coming off an all-time high in popularity but it's hardly dying.

Saying Kaepernick or the kneeling is having a significant effect on ticket sales is about the equivalent of saying millennials are killing off chain restaurants.

I tend to agree. The 'boycott' is now on both sides, which makes it doubly stupid. But I think it's mostly people who were never watching to begin with much less paying money to go to games.

I've lost interest in the NFL because it is a boring version of football. The offenses are bland and lack any real creativity and coordinators and coaches are too stubborn to tailor their offenses to a player's talents. I will watch a D3 game over any non-vikings game any day.

They aren't?

No they aren't. Those businesses are failing because of their inability to sell a good product, recognize their weaknesses, and adapt to a new generation. The NFL is starting to head down that path.

No they aren't. Those businesses are failing because of their inability to sell a good product, recognize their weaknesses, and adapt to a new generation. The NFL is starting to head down that path.

I feel like you are arguing against yourself. Those businesses need to attract more millennials because they are the ones replacing the older generations that aren't/can't go anymore. Millennials aren't going because of the reasons you mentioned (and others). Restaurants can't survive for long without them. So...millennials are indeed part of the reason.

The same can be said for the NFL's issues. Can't go on like they have without catering to millennials.

I feel like you are arguing against yourself. Those businesses need to attract more millennials because they are the ones replacing the older generations that aren't/can't go anymore. Millennials aren't going because of the reasons you mentioned (and others). Restaurants can't survive for long without them. So...millennials are indeed part of the reason.

The same can be said for the NFL's issues. Can't go on like they have without catering to millennials.

Millennials are just a group of people. They don't all think and act the same way. There's still a much larger group of people outside of millennials that could support these businesses. Anyone over 35 is not a millennial, but they're not showing up anymore either.

Business's blaming their problems on one group of people is just an excuse and failure to recognize their issues. Millennials aren't the only ones not showing up to NFL games, just like they are not the only ones not eating sh!tty overpriced food, and ordering from Amazon.

My gripe is that nearly daily now you see a new article about how millennials killed a business. No, their sh!tty, outdated, poor product, and poor leadership killed the business, and a new business took their spot. That's the way it has always worked, it's not just millennials killing things.

Millennials are just a group of people. They don't all think and act the same way. There's still a much larger group of people outside of millennials that could support these businesses. Anyone over 35 is not a millennial, but they're not showing up anymore either.

Business's blaming their problems on one group of people is just an excuse and failure to recognize their issues. Millennials aren't the only ones not showing up to NFL games, just like they are not the only ones not eating sh!tty overpriced food, and ordering from Amazon.

My gripe is that nearly daily now you see a new article about how millennials killed a business. No, their sh!tty, outdated, poor product, and poor leadership killed the business, and a new business took their spot. That's the way it has always worked, it's not just millennials killing things.
I find your argument largely semantic. Yes, of course the *responsibility* lies with the business owners. I don't really see anyone you are arguing with disputing this.

I find your argument largely semantic. Yes, of course the *responsibility* lies with the business owners. I don't really see anyone you are arguing with disputing this.

The business owners themselves. They don't point the finger at themselves, they point it at millennials.

Top Bottom