The Matchup With Iowa

Man sure feels like most people are saying play to not lose the game rather than play to win. Hopefully the in game thread sounds the save when pj goes ultra conservative as he does against Iowa
You can pretty much guarantee the game day thread will be a cesspool of moaning and complaining unless things are going our way in which case it will at least be tollerable. When things are going badly in a game I make a habit of staying far away from the gameday thread and the BS that will be flying in there.

I would not be surprised if the Gophers try to follow Bielema’s script for beating iowa:

C. Brown had 31 carries for 146 yards. Sitkowski and DeVito added 8 carries for 36 yards. Illinois averaged 4.4 yards per carry and had no rushing TDs.

On passing, DeVito was 6/11 for 42 yards before he got hurt. Sitkowski came in and went 18/30 for 74 yards. They combined for a whopping 116 yards, which works out to less than 3.9 yards per attempt, and again, no TDs.

Overall, Illinois averaged only 4.2 yards per play. But iowa was even worse, they averaged only 3.4 yards per play. End result was Illinois kicked 3 FGs but they held iowa to only 2 FGs so Bielema escaped with a 9-6 win despite losing the TO battle 3-1.

I would not be surprised if the Gophers try to follow Bielema’s script for beating iowa:

C. Brown had 31 carries for 146 yards. Sitkowski and DeVito added 8 carries for 36 yards. Illinois averaged 4.4 yards per carry and had no rushing TDs.

On passing, DeVito was 6/11 for 42 yards before he got hurt. Sitkowski came in and went 18/30 for 74 yards. They combined for a whopping 116 yards, which works out to less than 3.9 yards per attempt, and again, no TDs.

Overall, Illinois averaged only 4.2 yards per play. But iowa was even worse, they averaged only 3.4 yards per play. End result was Illinois kicked 3 FGs but they held iowa to only 2 FGs so Bielema escaped with a 9-6 win despite losing the TO battle 3-1.
Crazy game. Hard to say Iowa "deserved" to win as the offense was so putrid. The Iowa defense and special teams set up the offense at the Illinois 31 yard line, and the Illinois 5 yard line in the second quarter. Amazingly, Iowa got only 3 points out of those. Went backwards when taking over at the 31 and had to punt, and again went backwards when taking over at the 5 and kicked a FG.

Two best drives of the day by Iowa were the first drive of the game, when they took it from their 24 to inside the Illinois 10-yard line, only to kick a FG. And the last drive of the first half, when Iowa went from their own 21 to the Illinois 18 in the 2-minute offense before losing 9 yards on a pass then missing a 45 yard FG. Second half was a pillow fight. Illinois got the winning points after Iowa intercepted at its own 1-yard line. Illinois held to a 3 and out. Got a short field after the punt and turned it into a FG. That FG drive included a fumble returned for a TD by Iowa, but it was overturned on replay. Very close call, looked like Illinois guy was down.

I doubt Gophers route to winning involves throwing the ball 41 times. But it's football, so who knows. Whichever team gets a lead will try to squeeze the life out of the game, and will be satisfied with punting and forcing the other offense to actually do something to impact the game.

8 should carry the ball 10 times give or take. A running threat at QB is a game changer.

Generally speaking I agree with the idea that you can't "JUST" run vs Iowa. I get it, they'll expect it. But then:

1. Most other teams have expected it and lost to it. This is not a new situation. I suspect there is more to the running game than "people expect it so it won't work".
2. The alternative is passing ... have you seen our passing game? We're going to beat Iowa with THAT?
The key will be being able to throw enough to keep Iowa honest. If they can stack 8-9 guys all day, it will be tough. Just throw enough to extend drives and sometime, try take advantage against those big fronts.

Iowa sets up it offensive scores with short fields based on outstanding play and/or turnovers by its special teams and its ball-hawking defense. We simply don’t use special teams opportunistically; and it is too hard to start doing so in the 11th game of the seasons. Our defense is opportunistic sometimes; great if we could turn over Iowa’s weak offense a few times on Saturday. Also great if we find something that has been missing in recent Gopher games: some explosive plays!

Go Gophers.
Considering what's at stake as far as winning the division against opponents with bad offenses and stellar defenses, I would love to see PJ come out with aggressive defensive game plans.

So, Illinois threw a lot -- 41 times. They completed only 24 for just 116 yards. But they forced the Hawk defense to spread out, allowing Brown to gain 146 yards and the QBs to add another 36 yards rushing.

Looked at alone the pass game was anemic. But it served its purpose.

Crazy game. Hard to say Iowa "deserved" to win as the offense was so putrid. The Iowa defense and special teams set up the offense at the Illinois 31 yard line, and the Illinois 5 yard line in the second quarter. Amazingly, Iowa got only 3 points out of those. Went backwards when taking over at the 31 and had to punt, and again went backwards when taking over at the 5 and kicked a FG.

Two best drives of the day by Iowa were the first drive of the game, when they took it from their 24 to inside the Illinois 10-yard line, only to kick a FG. And the last drive of the first half, when Iowa went from their own 21 to the Illinois 18 in the 2-minute offense before losing 9 yards on a pass then missing a 45 yard FG. Second half was a pillow fight. Illinois got the winning points after Iowa intercepted at its own 1-yard line. Illinois held to a 3 and out. Got a short field after the punt and turned it into a FG. That FG drive included a fumble returned for a TD by Iowa, but it was overturned on replay. Very close call, looked like Illinois guy was down.

I doubt Gophers route to winning involves throwing the ball 41 times. But it's football, so who knows. Whichever team gets a lead will try to squeeze the life out of the game, and will be satisfied with punting and forcing the other offense to actually do something to impact the game.
I also doubt Minnesota throws 41 times. But we need to take an occasional shot downfield, mixed with a diet of short routes, to keep Iowa from holding Mo.

Whoever can run the ball most effectively will win this game (turnovers being equal).

Thankfully, Kaleb Johnson has played very well behind an improving, but inconsistent OL.

Regretfully, Ibrahim is a beast and you guys were able to run on Iowa last year without him.

This is going to be a slobberknocker and a lot of fun to watch.

8 should carry the ball 10 times give or take. A running threat at QB is a game changer.
I wouldn't purposefully run him that many times. Scrambles, fine. That's a lot to ask of a young kid who weighs in at 210 stretched over a 6'4 frame against that defense. Gotta keep him healthy, running the offense, finishing the game and available for Wisconsin the following Saturday.

Whoever can run the ball most effectively will win this game (turnovers being equal).

Thankfully, Kaleb Johnson has played very well behind an improving, but inconsistent OL.

Regretfully, Ibrahim is a beast and you guys were able to run on Iowa last year without him.

I think I saw one of those happening back in the late 80s where Shinder's Books downtown used to be

Now that Evans is healthy, maybe he gets a few carries, too?

I wouldn't purposefully run him that many times. Scrambles, fine. That's a lot to ask of a young kid who weighs in at 210 stretched over a 6'4 frame against that defense. Gotta keep him healthy, running the offense, finishing the game and available for Wisconsin the following Saturday.
It’s going to be so cold that I think his runs are the answer for giving Mo a chance to thrive. We have to keep them off balance somehow, and passing the ball is going to be a bitch. When you go position by position, we don’t stack up that well with Iowa we are going to have to let it loose and play to win, not sit in a shell and play not to lose that isn’t going to work; barring catastrophic turnovers by Iowa.

This seems like a potential storm-the-field game. We haven't beaten them in many years. I remember the last time we beat them we stormed the field (I touched the pig). I know we are favored but this would be awesome.

This seems like a potential storm-the-field game. We haven't beaten them in many years. I remember the last time we beat them we stormed the field (I touched the pig). I know we are favored but this would be awesome.
Nah. Just let them bring you the pig in the students section. This one will be for y’all. Bring the noise all game and the stadium should follow your lead

We ran the ball well last year in Iowa City without the best back in the conference, why not now?
Yeah that is what worries me as an Iowa fan. Gophers ran for more than 200 on handoffs to the backs last year, before you take out the sack yardage. I thought Fleck played way too conservative at times last year. Kicked a FG when Iowa led 3-0 on 4th and goal from the 2 yard line.

Second quarter, Fleck opted for FG on 4th and 1 from the Iowa 14. FG made it 13-10 Gophers. Third quarter, he opted for a FG on 4th and 2 from the 11. Made it 17-13 Iowa. If Gophers convert just 2 of those and go on for TD's, much different game. Hypotheticals are easy after the fact, but those all seemed like opportunities for Minnesota to press the issue.

Yeah that is what worries me as an Iowa fan. Gophers ran for more than 200 on handoffs to the backs last year, before you take out the sack yardage. I thought Fleck played way too conservative at times last year. Kicked a FG when Iowa led 3-0 on 4th and goal from the 2 yard line.

Second quarter, Fleck opted for FG on 4th and 1 from the Iowa 14. FG made it 13-10 Gophers. Third quarter, he opted for a FG on 4th and 2 from the 11. Made it 17-13 Iowa. If Gophers convert just 2 of those and go on for TD's, much different game. Hypotheticals are easy after the fact, but those all seemed like opportunities for Minnesota to press the issue.
You’re dead on. Our conservative approach in Iowa City last year cost us the game. We were the better team.

You’re dead on. Our conservative approach in Iowa City last year cost us the game. We were the better team.
Actually our defense flat out cost us the game last year.

Iowa will not do anything on offense ... until they get a short field.

That's what they do. That's their winning formula. Just wait. Wait for special teams or defense to give you a short field, then try to score.
Got dang that could put ia in a tight spot.

You can pretty much guarantee the game day thread will be a cesspool of moaning and complaining unless things are going our way in which case it will at least be tollerable. When things are going badly in a game I make a habit of staying far away from the gameday thread and the BS that will be flying in there.
I avoid the whole forum after losses.

So many accounts that seem to only show up then to throw a fit.

Actually our defense flat out cost us the game last year.
Yep, one of the only times last year where the D didn't come up big. Everyone always likes to focus on the offense in games but in that Iowa game last year the loss was more on the D than the offense.

I avoid the whole forum after losses.

So many accounts that seem to only show up then to throw a fit.
Agree, but the gameday thread has a special level of negativity. It is unreal how quickly some get down and panic during games. I will pop into the gameday threads at times but usually get quickly frustrated and get the heck out of there so that I can actually enjoy the game :)

Agree, but the gameday thread has a special level of negativity. It is unreal how quickly some get down and panic during games. I will pop into the gameday threads at times but usually get quickly frustrated and get the heck out of there so that I can actually enjoy the game :)
Yeah I check the thread from the game sometimes.

We've already lost after the first drive so many times ....

Yep, one of the only times last year where the D didn't come up big. Everyone always likes to focus on the offense in games but in that Iowa game last year the loss was more on the D than the offense.
The D gave up big plays but only about 270 total yards. Morgan was off that game and the conservative play calling was pathetic. Lots of blame to go around for inexcusably losing that game.

Top Bottom