The crowd

I loved the size of the crowd and the enthusiasm of the student section.

My section (the lower part of 238) is like a morgue. Its not that people are old (old is just fine), they are just completely lifeless. Nobody within 20 feet of me in any direction EVER stands and few make any noise. Its like they're watching golf.

I'm in section 237 and there was a younger guy who wanted to stand for most of the game (I wish more folks were like him) and two older folks sitting 2 rows behind him told him to sit down. This guy turned around and said, "why don't you stand?!" I clapped when he said that.

I went to the concessions stand as this was happening and when I returned the younger guy was sitting and didn't stand too much after. Not sure what if anything happened to make him sit.

If you're reading this 'standing guy', kudos to you.

I'm in section 237 and there was a younger guy who wanted to stand for most of the game (I wish more folks were like him) and two older folks sitting 2 rows behind him told him to sit down. This guy turned around and said, "why don't you stand?!" I clapped when he said that.

I went to the concessions stand as this was happening and when I returned the younger guy was sitting and didn't stand too much after. Not sure what if anything happened to make him sit.

I think it's great to stand if the people around you are ok with it. If not, then don't be a jerk - some people don't want to stand the whole game and shouldn't be forced to. You have to realize there might be little kids or old people behind you too. I was in 117 yesterday and we stood for every 3rd and 4th down - that seems to be a good compromise.

I don't remember saying the noise caused the delay. I was just commenting that it was really loud.

According to Solich, it was so loud on the FG try at the end, that the center and holder couldn't hear the whistle.

So the loudness did cause the delay penalty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Standing is overrated. Most people can be just as loud sitting as they can standing

I think it's great to stand if the people around you are ok with it. If not, then don't be a jerk - some people don't want to stand the whole game and shouldn't be forced to. You have to realize there might be little kids or old people behind you too. I was in 117 yesterday and we stood for every 3rd and 4th down - that seems to be a good compromise.

Agreed really and that's what we do. The few rows around us - including the row I'm in tend to stand but not the entire game.

212 has regressed.

It was good toward the end...and even great at the end...but even logical third downs for us to be up were an effort from Quarters 1-3.

I'm pretty sure the ticket hike is part of it. There used to be a group of standers/yellers around rows 6-10 that were very good at getting things started lower. We would work the upper folks in front of us and behind.

HOWEVER...it was loud for TCU and these two are non-conference games...so the next real test is Nebraska.

Not really meant as a complaint but more disappointment. There were a lot of people turning around looking at us like we were crazy for these last two games. Anyone within earshot over the last 5 years knows we are not quiet...again more evidence of a change of some sort...hopefully temporary.

There used to be a nice group of standers and yellers in row 17 as well :)...I've taken my talents to section 114 this year.

I'm all for everyone standing for key plays, but not everyone can stand for prolonged periods. I'm 75 and have spinal stenosis and other back problems that make it difficult for me to stand for more than a few minutes. I have supported Gopher sports for over 60 years through good times and bad, and I still want be able to go to games and actually see them; not people's backs. I'm sure there are many others like me. Have a heart and give us a little respect. In time you may understand how fans like me feel. And if it's noise you want to hear, I make plenty of it.

This ^^^^^

Student section was awesome but the students usually leave periodically throughout the game. A lot of people were leaving because they were too hot

I think for the first three games (student section) this is the best it been since the stadium opened. Great to see.

Go Gophers

I'm all for everyone standing for key plays, but not everyone can stand for prolonged periods. I'm 75 and have spinal stenosis and other back problems that make it difficult for me to stand for more than a few minutes. I have supported Gopher sports for over 60 years through good times and bad, and I still want be able to go to games and actually see them; not people's backs. I'm sure there are many others like me. Have a heart and give us a little respect. In time you may understand how fans like me feel. And if it's noise you want to hear, I make plenty of it.

:clap:

Excellent crowd on an absolutely beautiful late summer day. Students noisy and enthusiastic. Good game with a very able opponent, and going down to the wire. It was well worth driving 400 miles to be part of it all.

You're my kind of fan 'vagopher'! Thanks for doing what you do!!

Yup. I too am in 117 and feel we have a good mix of standing on key plays and not, on not so key plays.

68a5a1fbd85b90d14ff487a7dff14d64.jpg
picture i took of the student section yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey look I can see myself! Haha, band and students stand pretty much the entire game. Hard on the feet but worth it. Stood during the entirety of the badger game last year with some other students. Pretty sure everyone behind us hated it, but we didn't care. At football games we stand!

I complained about that same behavior in my section last year but this year has improved-still not great but it's definitely getting better....section 207

What Jerry has done for the student section is awesome. The guest passes have undoubtedly kept the student section full this year (first year of guest passes) and the Jerrysota student tailgate lot is too much fun. I had about 40 friends at my student tailgate spot Saturday and many of them commented on how nice and fun it is for the price. The Jerrysota student tailgate lot sold out this year so I would not be surprised in the least if there is a waiting list for the lot the next couple seasons and the prices increase.

Crowd was great. We stood on almost all 3rd downs in section 235 too. Amazing crowd and loved the students. That atmosphere is a selling points for students. They want to be a part of that.

I know of 2 HS seniors that actively want in to the U and the football game day is part of the reason after the TCU and Ohio games this year.

Couple of my pics...

.IMG_20150926_144044.jpgIMG_20150926_151427954.jpg.IMG_20150926_163928.jpg

and 1 other sighting I liked at the game...
IMG_20150926_161408892.jpg

I was disappointed in the upper deck on the home side. Our section (236) seems to be the only one that gets into it on 3rd down.

245 & 246 were very loud this week. Was glad to be a part of it.

With more people experiencing the Bank due to two teams using it as a home field, I wonder if the casual fan is beginning to realize how great of a place it is and helping the Gophs sell a few more tickets.

With more people experiencing the Bank due to two teams using it as a home field, I wonder if the casual fan is beginning to realize how great of a place it is and helping the Gophs sell a few more tickets.

Good point. And becoming a distinct home field advantage?

53,917 was the announced attendance vs Ohio. Second largest crowd in TCF history, behind the season opener vs TCU.

They are likely holding back a few hundred seats, but the Nebraska game currently does not have any pairs of seats available via MyGopherSports... will definitely be a sellout.

If we win some games in early October, the crowds will be huge the rest of the way.

Could be. I've been wondering how the extra exposure would help.

TCF is a great stadium. It's a football stadium.....not an overall entertainment venue with all the bells and whistles. That's what makes it great. Obviously I'm old-school but do you really need all the 'extras'? A seat, a hot dog and a football game......all ya need.

I know of a few Viking season ticket holders who are not going to pay the higher going rate in the new stadium. Maybe they will enjoy the experience of TCF and sign up for Gopher Football.

Just some early morning ramblings.

I wonder how many Vikings fans will lament not having open-air football come next year when they move to the sand crawler. Sure, the cold can be rough in the late months but the elements add something to the experience. Perhaps a real psychological advantage for the team as well.

53,917 was the announced attendance vs Ohio. Second largest crowd in TCF history, behind the season opener vs TCU.

They are likely holding back a few hundred seats, but the Nebraska game currently does not have any pairs of seats available via MyGopherSports... will definitely be a sellout.

If we win some games in early October, the crowds will be huge the rest of the way.

If average attendance is roughly 53,000 for the remaining four games, 2015 will represent the second-highest total attendance in Gopher football history. 1985's record of 426,989 won't be falling anytime soon.

Had a similar situation that I witnessed near 107. An older gentleman was standing and cheering the Gopher D on 3rd down and a younger guy was yelling at him to sit. The guy in the row in front of me told the younger guy to stand up. The young guy yelled that there was a 90 yr old sitting next to him, to which the guy in front of me said "the largest TV screen in the state is 2 sections away, watch the jumbotron and let fans cheer on 3rd down!"

We are all fans of the same team. We know how to be the 12th man. Let's not get salty at each other for making TCF electric on Saturdays.

Had a similar situation that I witnessed near 107. An older gentleman was standing and cheering the Gopher D on 3rd down and a younger guy was yelling at him to sit. The guy in the row in front of me told the younger guy to stand up. The young guy yelled that there was a 90 yr old sitting next to him, to which the guy in front of me said "the largest TV screen in the state is 2 sections away, watch the jumbotron and let fans cheer on 3rd down!"

We are all fans of the same team. We know how to be the 12th man. Let's not get salty at each other for making TCF electric on Saturdays.

There's got to be a middle ground in situations like this. People need to realize that there are people around them that may not be able to stand the whole game. But at the same time people need to realize that some will be standing and cheering in certain situations.

There's got to be a middle ground in situations like this. People need to realize that there are people around them that may not be able to stand the whole game. But at the same time people need to realize that some will be standing at cheering in certain situations.

This is the correct answer. 3rd & 15 from their own 20 in the 1st quarter? I might not need to stand up. 4th & 1 inside the 10 in the 4th quarter? Ummm...come on, people. It's all about context. You can't get salty with somebody in those situations. I wonder what it's like at other stadiums. I've attended plenty of away games, but I've never really thought much about the stand/sit crap.

I believe there are viewing areas for those considered disabled. The crowd should be able to stand and cheer on important downs, and the disabled should be able to watch the game unimpeded. There is a little bit of unreasonableness on both sides.

Top Bottom