The Big Snow Bank!

Wanting EVERYONE to stand for the ENTIRE GAME is just as bad, if not worse, as those who yell at people who get up to stand and cheer during key third down plays.

Wanting EVERYONE to stand for the ENTIRE GAME is just as bad, if not worse, as those who yell at people who get up to stand and cheer during key third down plays.

Agreed.

This sense of entitlement everyone has drives me insane. Go ahead and sit. You're entitled.

Here we go again. The whole "I'm a better fan because I stand up" routine. Good for you. Those are also the types of fans that are jumping around and screaming at the top of their lungs when the Gopher offense is getting ready to snap the ball on 3rd and 2.

It is completely ridiculous to expect everyone to stand for 3.5 hours at a football game. I think its great the students stand and if the game warrants then I will stand as well, I have done so many, many times. However, expecting everyone not only should stand but then ridicule those who don't as being lesser fans? Get over it. If the Gophers turn things around and the games are big and exciting people will stand more.

This sense of entitlement everyone has drives me insane. Go ahead and sit. You're entitled.

Entitlement? Entitlement??? What a ridiculous word! We're talking about a college football game, not universal health care, for F's sake!

I just don't understand the bitter resistance that the "I should be allowed to sit, I've supported the team since the 1600's" crowd has. Is it physically not WANTING to stand up? Is it feeling like football games are a place where you should be able to sit, and occasionally stand, for three hours? I'd love just for once if there was a "test" game of sorts where they encouraged everyone to stand up the whole game, and see what it does for atmosphere.

It's ABSOLUTELY more engaging, you make more noise, you're more INTO THE GAME. It's more intimidating to the opposing players on the field. Do you see ANY student sections in the nation that sit? If so, how's the atmosphere? Seriously. Give me a break.

You said it best yourself.

Some day you will.

I did the four year student standing thing and quite frankly I feel I've earned the right to sit if I want to now.

Yes, entitlement.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything, but my point is it wouldn't kill 99% of people to stand for the whole game, or perhaps for just more of the important plays. Yes, there's exceptions (I'm sure there are people at Vikings games who have knee surgeries/can't stand also), but my main point: standing leads to a better atmosphere. What's the resistance?

I can't believe this is going on again.

ExplodingHead.gif

Entitlement? Entitlement??? What a ridiculous word! We're talking about a college football game, not universal health care, for F's sake!

If these idiots that build stadiums are stupid enough to put it benches and chairs in the location that I am supposed to be in I feel I am entitled to sit.:rolleyes:

Oh to be a college student again who thinks they know everything and is about to get smacked in the face by the real world.

Yes, entitlement.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything, but my point is it wouldn't kill 99% of people to stand for the whole game, or perhaps for just more of the important plays. Yes, there's exceptions (I'm sure there are people at Vikings games who have knee surgeries/can't stand also), but my main point: standing leads to a better atmosphere. What's the resistance?

Because people don't want to. Just because YOU think it's a better atmosphere doesn't make it so.

Grow up!

Yes, entitlement.

Yikes. I'm all for standing. I'm 6'9" and I'm sure I piss people off when I stand to make noise on big plays. And I wish more folks would do it. But I'm not going to pretend that I'm the arbiter of what makes a good fan. Just like I don't think the people who get pissy about people standing should get to make the determination either.

You think 99% of people could stand all the time? Because I'm sure the odds are that only 500 folks in the entire stadium have back problems, or knee problems, or asthma (so screaming at the top your lungs isn't a comfortable thing), etc. I'm guessing you're just exaggerating your % to make a point, but the fact is that you don't have any idea what the random folks around you are dealing with. And even if they just don't care to stand who are you to tell them otherwise? I might agree with you that it makes for a better atmosphere (I do agree with you) but last time I checked neither of us were the gameday atmosphere police.

It was more of a "festive" atmosphere, but I think a lot of that was just the uniqueness of the event. If it were a typical Vikes game, it woulda been dead.

But besides that, when given reason, the fans come through at the Bank. Last year, the atmosphere was electric for the home opener, and early in the 4th against Cal when you couldn't even hear the whistle indicating a false start, the MSU game. The Bank has been a great atmosphere when given reason to be. This year, we lost the first six home games, including games to South Dakota and NIU. It's hard to get a crowd fired up when you're falling behind quickly in games and people were already on edge in the first place. That Iowa win salavaged a ONE win home season. Granted the schedule was tough, but that doesn't excuse losing to USD and NIU at home. It's hard to build up a strong atmosphere in those conditions., I'm sorry.

Hopefully Kill can rekindle some things this season.

Please awag777, I really want to adhere to your new, revolutionary, and exciting "only standing" policy. However, please tell me if I should remain standing during the following events:

- The time between I arrive at the game and when the Band starts the pregame
- The time between the National Anthem and the opening kickoff
- TV Timeouts when the band is playing
- TV Timeouts when there is a promotion going on (Old Dutch wheel spin, Boston Scientific Heart of the game)
- Halftime when the band is playing
- Halftime between when the band is done playing and when the special teams unit runs on the field
- Halftime between when the rest of the team runs on to the field and when the 2nd half starts
- A timeout taken on the field but not a TV timeout
- Between when the game is over and when the band starts the post-game show
- During the band post-game show

Thanks awag777 - I'm really trying 110% to strive to be the best possible fan I can ever ever be, and I appreciate all of your wisdom and advice!

I'm not here to upset anyone or tell anyone what to do. But the most fun I've had at a Gopher game in a loooong time (outside of TCF Bank Stadium opening) was this most recent game against Iowa. Was it because most of the crowd standing the whole game? Quite possible.

Most everyone in section 101 was up almost the entire game because of the cold, so they were standing to keep warm. It gave everyone an excuse to jump around, scream and yell, high-five their MN neighbors and be as loud as humanly possible. The atmosphere was phenomenal and something I wont soon forget. It obviously helps when we are playing our bitter rival and a good game, but standing made the experience so much better in my opinion.

Of course you make more noise when you stand up. I agree it is ridicules to make everyone stand for the entire game, but I do understand the concerns some people have on the lack of standing during key plays. I'll never forget the first game at TCF against Air Force when the guys in the row ahead of me stood up on third and five play and started making some noise. Two older gentlemen behind me got extremely upset by this and called security over to tell them to sit down. This continued throughout the entire year older gentleman complaining about people standing up on key downs. I have heard similar stories all throughout the stadium, THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. Go to Ann Arbor, Columbus, heck even Indiana most of the people in the stadium stand on 3rd down plays! It's embarrassing that Minnesota fans are getting upset with other Minnesota fans for standing on key downs.

Of course you make more noise when you stand up. I agree it is ridicules to make everyone stand for the entire game, but I do understand the concerns some people have on the lack of standing during key plays. I'll never forget the first game at TCF against Air Force when the guys in the row ahead of me stood up on third and five play and started making some noise. Two older gentlemen behind me got extremely upset by this and called security over to tell them to sit down. This continued throughout the entire year older gentleman complaining about people standing up on key downs. I have heard similar stories all throughout the stadium, THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. Go to Ann Arbor, Columbus, heck even Indiana most of the people in the stadium stand on 3rd down plays! It's embarrassing that Minnesota fans are getting upset with other Minnesota fans for standing on key downs.

That is ridiculous behavior by the old guys. But that doesn't mean that awag's "everyone must stand" idea isn't also ridiculous. They are opposite ends of the spectrum but are equally obtuse and bull-headed. I want the atmosphere to change too but demanding folks to stand all the damn time because we want them to isn't going to get it done.

Was it because most of the crowd standing the whole game? Quite possible.

No way was "most of the crown standing the whole game." Not even close.

It wasn't even that cold at the game. I took off my wool hat at one point because I was plenty warm.

It was the best atmosphere at a game in some time because it was a rare win at home in a rivalry game, and an even rarer win over a top-25 team at home.

When the win combines both of those - you get the first trophy win at home over a ranked team since I believe 1993 vs. Wisconsin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but either way, it doesn't happen that often.

Or, keep telling yourself it was because people were cold and were standing up to keep warm.

No way was "most of the crown standing the whole game." Not even close.

Wrong. Nearly everyone in front of me in Section 101, like I mentioned, stood nearly the entire game. Name me another reason the people in my section were standing most of the time other than the cold. They certainly didnt all year.

I also said
It obviously helps when we are playing our bitter rival and a good game
but just because we won doesnt mean it was a good atmosphere. It was a good atmosphere throughout the game, and that was obviously long before the game was decided. The game would have had good atmosphere no matter the victor.

Or, keep telling yourself it is because youre too stubborn to believe anything otherwise. Plenty people know that it was cold that game, heck there were threads and such discussing the weather after the weekend was over. Get over yourself.

Wrong. Nearly everyone in front of me in Section 101, like I mentioned, stood nearly the entire game. Name me another reason the people in my section were standing most of the time other than the cold. They certainly didnt all year.

So the folks in front of you in Section 101 equate to most of the crowd across the stadium?

I also said but just because we won doesnt mean it was a good atmosphere. It was a good atmosphere throughout the game, and that was obviously long before the game was decided. The game would have had good atmosphere no matter the victor.

You don't think being up 10-0 before IA touched the ball affected the atmosphere of the joint?

I apologize for my wording but in my first post I said
Most everyone in section 101 was up almost the entire game because of the cold, so they were standing to keep warm. It gave everyone an excuse to jump around, scream and yell, high-five their MN neighbors and be as loud as humanly possible. The atmosphere was phenomenal and something I wont soon forget. It obviously helps when we are playing our bitter rival and a good game, but standing made the experience so much better in my opinion.

I clearly said and meant everyone in SECION 101. We sure had one helluva time in that section, and I was trying to show that standing did translate to a better gameday experience. I dont feel that YOU need to stand all game. I simply said that standing gave us a better excuse to jump, cheer, and have fun. yeesh

Or, keep telling yourself it is because youre too stubborn to believe anything otherwise. Plenty people know that it was cold that game, heck there were threads and such discussing the weather after the weekend was over. Get over yourself.

I'm far from being stubborn on the issue. However, I refuse to believe your "most of the stadium" theory when the only evidence you have is the people that were close to where you were sitting.

I never said it was tropical conditions - but it certainly wasn't cold enough to where I felt the need to stand and move around to avoid being chilled to the bone.

I don't even know why I am replying to this nonsense. The very notion of "most of the stadium was standing the whole game" is so ridiculous it needs no response.

You don't think being up 10-0 before IA touched the ball affected the atmosphere of the joint?

Of course it did. But that wasnt the only reason there was a great atmosphere. Does it occur that there were a few reasons it was a fun game to be at?

I
don't even know why I am replying to this nonsense. The very notion of "most of the stadium was standing the whole game" is so ridiculous it needs no response.

I meant section 101 like I said. I had fun in Section 101 while standing most of the game. Maybe standing had something to do with it.

I apologize for my wording but in my first post I said

I clearly said and meant everyone in SECION 101. We sure had one helluva time in that section, and I was trying to show that standing did translate to a better gameday experience. I dont feel that YOU need to stand all game. I simply said that standing gave us a better excuse to jump, cheer, and have fun. yeesh

Good enough for me. The section 101 comment came in a different paragraph and it wasn't clear to me that the first wording wasn't intended as written, but I appreciate you clarifying things. I withdraw my snarky line of questioning. :)

You don't have to convince me that getting up can be more fun. I'm already there.

Good enough for me. The section 101 comment came in a different paragraph and it wasn't clear that the first wording wasn't intended as written, but I appreciate you clarifying things. I withdraw my snarky line of questioning.

Haha ok good. I realized after I posted that I could have worded that better. I wasnt trying to convince you per se, but merely stating overall that standing can create a better atmosphere for some people. :)

Please awag777, I really want to adhere to your new, revolutionary, and exciting "only standing" policy. However, please tell me if I should remain standing during the following events:

- The time between I arrive at the game and when the Band starts the pregame
- The time between the National Anthem and the opening kickoff
- TV Timeouts when the band is playing
- TV Timeouts when there is a promotion going on (Old Dutch wheel spin, Boston Scientific Heart of the game)
- Halftime when the band is playing
- Halftime between when the band is done playing and when the special teams unit runs on the field
- Halftime between when the rest of the team runs on to the field and when the 2nd half starts
- A timeout taken on the field but not a TV timeout
- Between when the game is over and when the band starts the post-game show
- During the band post-game show

Thanks awag777 - I'm really trying 110% to strive to be the best possible fan I can ever ever be, and I appreciate all of your wisdom and advice!

I think when the rest of the team runs out for the second half, everyone should get up and welcome them back.

Don't have to be a smartass about it, I just think people should stand DURING. THE. GAME. Sit while there's a timeout, sit during halftime, sit before the game, but stand while the team's out there. Why do I think that? Because I think it creates a better atmosphere. I'm not dictating to people, my original point was people standing=better atmosphere, which a handful of people are agreeing with. Some of you are blowing it out of proportion.

Do you see the irony in complaining about other peoples' "sense of entitlement" when your argument is that you should be entitled to stand the entire game and every else who doesn't want to be damned?

Top Bottom