The Big Snow Bank!

97alumni

Reaction score
I love that. ESPN has been very complimentary of the Bank and the U. Some Vikings could take some lessons from them.

Just came from the stadium. Did a lap around the area. It is an absolutely gorgeous spectacle, and the atmosphere is better than any regular season vikes game I have ever seen. The Gophers deserved the first blizzard game under the light, but whatever, this night will benefit both programs.

Just came from the stadium. Did a lap around the area. It is an absolutely gorgeous spectacle, and the atmosphere is better than any regular season vikes game I have ever seen. The Gophers deserved the first blizzard game under the light, but whatever, this night will benefit both programs.

They keep saying the atmosphere is amazing and Steve Young said this is the type of stadium the Vikings should have.

I was worried after Kluwe's comments that this would hurt the U but so far - it's been nothing but wonderfully positive.

Awesome. Glad they gave our home some props. I'm even amazed they commented on the atmosphere. I mean, WE know the atmosphere rocks there, but having the national media notice and comment on it is pretty sweet.

It helps when fans other than the students stand the whole game. There I said it.

I loved it when fans were throwing snow up into the air, it looked like colorless fireworks. Those that showed up seemed to have had a good time, the crowd was still into it even when the Vikings were getting pretty solidly beaten. In the sterile confines of the dome, they might not have remained as enthusiastic.

It helps when fans other than the students stand the whole game. There I said it.

And you're damn right too!... Gopher fans in the Barn (especially) and in the Bank are somewhat absurd sometimes... heck, there was a lady KNITTING! last gophers basketball game... (if you don't believe me, I took a picture!)

Great atmosphere tonight though... Great for the program!... I was in the student section (for gophs games) tonight and everyone was standing... awesome.

And you're damn right too!... Gopher fans in the Barn (especially) and in the Bank are somewhat absurd sometimes... heck, there was a lady KNITTING! last gophers basketball game... (if you don't believe me, I took a picture!)

Great atmosphere tonight though... Great for the program!... I was in the student section (for gophs games) tonight and everyone was standing... awesome.

absurd is fooling yourself into thinking you should dictate how other people enjoy an event and support their team.

absurd is fooling yourself into thinking you should dictate how other people enjoy an event and support their team.

Absurd is anyone who gets incredulous over people wishing we had a better atmosphere at our games, and wanting people to stand up for once in their lives.

yikes

I don't understand how standing for most of the game makes me a better fan. Stand for the big plays and then sit down

Monday Night Football is an ESPN property. Their marketing is flauless. They take a home game for the Vikes, who are going no where and a Bears team that is not that exciting, and turn it into must see TV. The focused on the frozne tundra, outdoor football, after 28 years years a return to what made the Vikings known. And then Berman lays The Big Snow Bank on the broadcast. Beautiful. The unintnended consequence of this game, fans who have never been to the bank. Potential ticket sales. And second, who needs a dome, retractable roof?

I don't understand how standing for most of the game makes me a better fan. Stand for the big plays and then sit down

When you stand for the game your are a lot louder and more into the game. I dont agree that you should stand the whole game (if not in the student section) but i get sick of people on 3rd and short situations or even 3rd down in general that dont get up and get rowdy. Lets actually make it hard for an opponent. I hate to admit it but it was WAAAAAAYY louder with vikings fans in the bank. We should take a few lessons from them

I like the name the snow bank. Not the big snow bank. too long

Absurd is anyone who gets incredulous over people wishing we had a better atmosphere at our games, and wanting people to stand up for once in their lives.

No, absurd is anyone who comes down on fans who have supported Gopher athletics for 30-40 years, through good times and bad, because they don't act like current students. Respect the elders, bro.

When you stand for the game your are a lot louder and more into the game. I dont agree that you should stand the whole game (if not in the student section) but i get sick of people on 3rd and short situations or even 3rd down in general that dont get up and get rowdy. Lets actually make it hard for an opponent. I hate to admit it but it was WAAAAAAYY louder with vikings fans in the bank. We should take a few lessons from them

Just because your "higher", doesn't make you louder. Buy an SRO ticket if you want to stand the whole game. I bought a ticket to a seat and I want to sit in it.

And frankly, after standing for a gazillion 3rd downs over the last few years with little if any positive result, it took the heart out of me. Brewster's coaching took the heart out of me.

But it's a new day, I'll be standing for 3rd downs for Jerry Kill next fall!

Just because your "higher", doesn't make you louder. Buy an SRO ticket if you want to stand the whole game. I bought a ticket to a seat and I want to sit in it.

Actually standing will make your voice louder and more powerful because it increases your lung efficiency and allows your diaphragm to move easier. It's why singers sing standing up in concerts rather than seated.

It looks like someone is going to have to step in and change the subject. Did you know I want Wisconsin to win the Rose Bowl? Go Big 10!

Also, I love the announcement: "And that's another Golden Gopher..." for Minnesota first downs.

awag777: it HELPS when (and IF) the students in the...

student section bother to show up. When the student section is awol the way the student secton was much of the 2010 season, as well as much of the 2009 season, you don't have much room to criticize other fans who ARE in the stadium. IF you are going to try to start a war of the generations, you had better get your side to show up for that war...'cause the old timers will be there. In being a "force" at a football game, much as in being a factor in real life...showing up is 95% of the battle. When 90% of the student section doesn't even show up, the student section is just a bunch of empty seats. It's really hard to tell if empty seats are sitting through the entire game or are "standing..." Personally, I think it's better to have the home fans sitting in support of their team than "no-showing..." What kind of support does an empty student section show? (By the way, I'm all for standing on big plays.) But, don't knock the people who have been supporting the Gophers during the decades when the tradition of "going" to the games was not exactly the "cool" thing to do.

And frankly, after standing for a gazillion 3rd downs over the last few years with little if any positive result, it took the heart out of me. Brewster's coaching took the heart out of me.

But it's a new day, I'll be standing for 3rd downs for Jerry Kill next fall!

This is exactly the way I have felt about Gopher football the past couple of years. Well said!

A student giving the rest of the fans grief? The older folks show up for every game, the students make the stadium look bad with more than half of their section being empty. I can't believe any student has the balls to say that. Besides Northwestern we have the worst student section in the conference. Get a clue.

For the record, a half full student section makes more noise than the rest of the stadium does on any play, hands down. Also, spare me the lecture about students showing up, I've been there every game the last 3 years, beginning to end.

Anyone who was at the game last night can attest to the fact that it was louder, and a better atmosphere than nearly all Gopher games to date. Now, it's a terrible team (The Vikes are either 100%, or all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs), terrible weather (in terms of getting to the game), no booze, so what's the difference? The difference is every fan in the stadium was on their feet for the entire game. Just sayin'.

For the record, a half full student section makes more noise than the rest of the stadium does on any play, hands down.

No.

The difference is every fan in the stadium was on their feet for the entire game.

I'm sure the fact that it was cold, windy, snowy, and rainy had nothing to do with that.

And you still haven't answered the question posed earlier in the thread - how does standing for the entire game make one a better fan?

Oh, okay yeah you're right.

And you still haven't answered the question posed earlier in the thread - how does standing for the entire game make one a better fan?

Shows support. Lends itself to a better atmosphere.

I've been to Vikings games at the Metrodome. They stand there, too. It's not as if the cold snow on the seats dragged all these reluctant fans onto their feet. People stand at Vikings games. Vikings games have better atmosphere than nearly all Gopher games. Has to be a contributing factor, if not most of the reason.

Also, spare me the lecture about students showing up, I've been there every game the last 3 years, beginning to end.

Good for you. Another ~30 years of that type of committment and you'll be able to criticize the group you are currently going after. I just hope that the next 30 are a bit more bearable than the last.

I just don't understand the bitter resistance that the "I should be allowed to sit, I've supported the team since the 1600's" crowd has. Is it physically not WANTING to stand up? Is it feeling like football games are a place where you should be able to sit, and occasionally stand, for three hours? I'd love just for once if there was a "test" game of sorts where they encouraged everyone to stand up the whole game, and see what it does for atmosphere.

It's ABSOLUTELY more engaging, you make more noise, you're more INTO THE GAME. It's more intimidating to the opposing players on the field. Do you see ANY student sections in the nation that sit? If so, how's the atmosphere? Seriously. Give me a break.

Oh, okay yeah you're right.

I was a student once. I am now a member of "the rest". There is no way on earth that 5,000 students make more noise than 45,000 non-students. Period.

Shows support. Lends itself to a better atmosphere.

So you can't fully lend support or atmosphere by sitting during an unimportant 2-and-5 during the middle of the 2nd quarter, and standing for important plays like a sane person? Standing every play is fine and encouraged in the student section, but it's ridiculous anywhere else, especially in the chairbacks, where the average age is probably 50+.

I've been to Vikings games at the Metrodome. They stand there, too. It's not as if the cold snow on the seats dragged all these reluctant fans onto their feet. People stand at Vikings games.

I've been going to Vikings games for longer than you've been on earth. There are very few people that stand the entire game at the Metrodome. I've been to plenty of games where I barely stood at all and was able to see the field just fine the entire game. Yes, it was the cold snow on the seats that dragged all these reluctant fans onto their feet.

Vikings games have better atmosphere than nearly all Gopher games. Has to be a contributing factor, if not most of the reason.

This is due to the fact that most Vikings fans:

1) Have seen their team be competing for championships at some point in their lifetime
2) Are (or have the ability/access to be) intoxicated
3) Are under the age of 80

I just don't understand the bitter resistance that the "I should be allowed to sit, I've supported the team since the 1600's" crowd has. Is it physically not WANTING to stand up? Is it feeling like football games are a place where you should be able to sit, and occasionally stand, for three hours? I'd love just for once if there was a "test" game of sorts where they encouraged everyone to stand up the whole game, and see what it does for atmosphere.

It's ABSOLUTELY more engaging, you make more noise, you're more INTO THE GAME. It's more intimidating to the opposing players on the field. Do you see ANY student sections in the nation that sit? If so, how's the atmosphere? Seriously. Give me a break.

As to bolded point one, one of the ticket holders in our group can't stand for 3+ hrs straight due to multiple knee surgeries, but screw her, she's only held her tix every year since '77.

As to point 2, who said the Student Section can't stand? Give me a break.

I think that the student sections should have to stand - it's part of being in the student section. But those who are not in the student section should not be forced to stand during the game. It doesn't make them any less of a fan than the students.

Just for the record - I did the four year student standing thing and quite frankly I feel I've earned the right to sit if I want to now. I don't sit in the student section anymore but I cheer just as loud as anybody.

Top Bottom