The Big 10 made a huge mistake, change my mind...

I think there are all kinds of problems with testing in young people, and I suspect a lot of false positives. Were these people tested because they presented symptoms, or did they basically test everyone regardless? We also need to know how sick these kids are. Not at all? A little? or very sick.

Level of sickness has nothing to do with how contagious they are.

This is the fundamental thing that has been known about this virus, that makes it different from most other viruses that can kill you. You know it too. Just trolling.

There are currently 7 coronaviruses in the world (including the common cold)
Most people who test positive have similar symptoms as the common cold..
  1. 229E (alpha coronavirus)
  2. NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
  3. OC43 (beta coronavirus)
  4. HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
  5. MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
  6. SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
  7. SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)
None of these coronaviruses have vaccines. Zero.
If they come out with a vaccine for SARS-Cov-2...like Flu vaccines, it likely won't eradicate it, and 2/3 of people polled worldwide say they wont take a vaccine as a vaccine might do more harm than the virus. Therefore, this is here to last and we cannot keep hiding from it. Immune compromised individuals need to continue to do what they did before, keep themselves safe from all kinds of scary diseases and viruses. The rest of us, the only way we'll combat this is to train our bodies to fight it.

Also to note, if we keep hiding from COVID-19, we'll only make our bodies more susceptible to other things, like a potentially record bad influenza season....covid might be the least of our worries.

(just the opinion of a logic thinker)
Care to share the poll you're referring to there? Or is this a figure your "logical" brain made up out of thin air to support your argument?

Has anyone found any tweets about what rando Chinese guys are doing about their college football tickets? Refund? Donation? Rolling over to next year?

I gotta figure out what to do here!!!

Care to share the poll you're referring to there? Or is this a figure your "logical" brain made up out of thin air to support your argument?
LOL

Of course he made the "2/3" part up.

Lots of false stuff in your post. I know people who work in hospitals in a few different areas of the country and they definitely were overwhelmed and had many extra COVID units.

But again, we NEVER locked down that stringently. There was never paperwork required to leave your house. There were never scheduled windows for weekly grocery store trips. People could move at will with any excuse. It took months for a lot of the country to start wearing masks. Hell, I was in Missouri last week and literally 99% of people were not wearing masks. Even in restaurants the staff didn't have masks on (which I had not seen in any other state, but I imagine it's like that the more red the state is). On top of that, we had states starting to re-open too early in April (and we've seen how that worked out).

So quit acting like the US took these amazingly extreme measures. At least half the states have been very much behind the curve compared to what measures the countries who were smart put in place.

Which hospitals and where?

Universal masking has decades of research that prove it's not effective against mitigating the disease. This is why it wasn't suggested at the beginning of the pandemic. No, it wasn't to save PPE, most people continue to use bandana's, fleeces, homemade cloth masks, etc that are ineffective, and were available from the beginning.

The states you consider 'behind the curve' are likely the ones still doing significantly better than the ones you consider are doing better.

The measures have been extreme by US standards, and lasted far longer than we were told they were going to. That's only because the narrative changed, and not the data.

I think there are all kinds of problems with testing in young people, and I suspect a lot of false positives. Were these people tested because they presented symptoms, or did they basically test everyone regardless? We also need to know how sick these kids are. Not at all? A little? or very sick.
Why? Do you have any evidence that these tests have a high false-positive rate, or do you suspect this just because it helps your narrative?

Universal masking has decades of research that prove it's not effective against mitigating the disease. This is why it wasn't suggested at the beginning of the pandemic. No, it wasn't to save PPE, most people continue to use bandana's, fleeces, homemade cloth masks, etc that are ineffective, and were available from the beginning.

The states you consider 'behind the curve' are likely the ones still doing significantly better than the ones you consider are doing better.

The measures have been extreme by US standards, and lasted far longer than we were told they were going to. That's only because the narrative changed, and not the data.

Georgia, Florida, Arizona and Texas are leading the way? Really?

People are wearing masks all over Colorado, Minnesota and New York (for example) and I'd say they are doing pretty well in comparison to the first group listed.

Good grief...

But it would’ve came back unless we locked down the borders. Not saying we wouldn’t have done that.

Look at New Zealand. Didn’t they just have an outbreak after being isolated for a while?

Vaccine is the only thing that will stop this.

I honestly think you are leader in the Antifa party and extreme left ideology. You support complete communistic behaviors in complete lockdowns, mandatory vaccines, arrest people without masks, attack people who go against your ideology.

you think Dr Fauci, bill gates, Soros, and suckerberg are true leaders in the new one world order And orange man bad is standing in your way of that

I honestly think you are leader in the Antifa party and extreme left ideology. You support complete communistic behaviors in complete lockdowns, mandatory vaccines, arrest people without masks, attack people who go against your ideology.

you think Dr Fauci, bill gates, Soros, and suckerberg are true leaders in the new one world order And orange man bad is standing in your way of that
hqdefault.jpg

Wait, who is the one with the conspiracies???

PS. Enjoy November 3! 😘😘😘

Georgia, Florida, Arizona and Texas are leading the way? Really?

People are wearing masks all over Colorado, Minnesota and New York (for example) and I'd say they are doing pretty well in comparison to the first group listed.

I never said those states are leading the way. Who do you consider leading the way?

New York and New Jersey have the highest deaths per capita in the world. Herd immunity is the reason the disease has slowed there, not masks. Cases have gone up in Minnesota despite mandatory masks. California has been one of the most heavily locked down and masked states in the country. The spread of the disease has only accelerated there over the last 2 months.

Demographics, obesity, and age are the top reasons behind the hot spots and where the disease spreads. It has nothing to do with masks, social distancing, any governors, or Trump.

The US has the most susceptible population in the world to this disease, and yet it's still not any more deadly than the flu to the majority of the population. There's now nearly 6 months of data to back this up.

Holy shit dude. Take off the tin foil hat.

I never said those states are leading the way. Who do you consider leading the way?

New York and New Jersey have the highest deaths per capita in the world. Herd immunity is the reason the disease has slowed there, not masks. Cases have gone up in Minnesota despite mandatory masks. California has been one of the most heavily locked down and masked states in the country. The spread of the disease has only accelerated there over the last 2 months.

Demographics, obesity, and age are the top reasons behind the hot spots and where the disease spreads. It has nothing to do with masks, social distancing, any governors, or Trump.

The US has the most susceptible population in the world to this disease, and yet it's still not any more deadly than the flu to the majority of the population. There's now nearly 6 months of data to back this up.

Keep drinkin' that Kool-Aid.

So the OP asked if the B1G made a big mistake - presumably in calling off the Fall Football season.

My response - we won't know until we see what happens with three remaining P3 conferences. if all 3 conferences are able to get through their seasons with limited or no covid/health issues, then you could reasonably conclude that the B1G pulled the plug too soon.

On the other hand, if the P3 conferences run into problems and are forced to postpone or cancel games - or call off their seasons - then one could reasonably conclude that the B1G made a good choice.

it's really a catch-22. no one can "prove" what might have happened if a different choice was made.
This is not "Back to the Future." Doc Brown and Marty can't go back in the Delorean and change the past.

About 20 years ago, I turned down a job offer in favor of a different job. I often wonder how my life might have gone if I had taken the other job. But there is no way to know.

So the OP asked if the B1G made a big mistake - presumably in calling off the Fall Football season.

My response - we won't know until we see what happens with three remaining P3 conferences. if all 3 conferences are able to get through their seasons with limited or no covid/health issues, then you could reasonably conclude that the B1G pulled the plug too soon.

On the other hand, if the P3 conferences run into problems and are forced to postpone or cancel games - or call off their seasons - then one could reasonably conclude that the B1G made a good choice.

it's really a catch-22. no one can "prove" what might have happened if a different choice was made.
This is not "Back to the Future." Doc Brown and Marty can't go back in the Delorean and change the past.

About 20 years ago, I turned down a job offer in favor of a different job. I often wonder how my life might have gone if I had taken the other job. But there is no way to know.
Agree completely.

The issue I have with playing in Fall is when a team has an outbreak where too many players must be sidelined (which will likely happen), now what? Do they forfeit? When do you make up the game? It doesn't seem like they've taken that into account. For an example, look at baseball and the St. Louis Cardinals. They've played 10 games to the Twins 23. When the hell are they going to make those 13 games up?

Agree completely.

The issue I have with playing in Fall is when a team has an outbreak where too many players must be sidelined (which will likely happen), now what? Do they forfeit? When do you make up the game? It doesn't seem like they've taken that into account. For an example, look at baseball and the St. Louis Cardinals. They've played 10 games to the Twins 23. When the hell are they going to make those 13 games up?

The Cardinals are scheduled to play at least 11 double-headers in August and September to make up games - including a 7-inning double-header against the Twins on September 8th. That is the difference between baseball and football. Baseball can be played every day or twice in a day. Football cannot do that. I would suspect that the P3 conferences would build some flexibility into their schedules with bye weeks so that games could be pushed back if necessary. Which, ironically, is what the B1G was proposing to do in the schedule it released before the season was called off.

Why? Do you have any evidence that these tests have a high false-positive rate, or do you suspect this just because it helps your narrative?
Check out the news in FL some testing sites with 100% positive rate. Others not tested came back positive. It was about two weeks ago.

Reactions: SDR

The PCR tests have a history of unreliability, and as far as I can tell, have never been used as a baseline test for a virus of this magnitude. Is it false positive or false negative? Both have bad implications. Here's a New England Journal of Medicine take
There are more if you want to seek them out. There's also theories that the virus is not really novel, and kids have been exposed and are immune, explaining why it doesn't seem to infect school kids around the world.
That's why it's so important not to rely on a bunch of positive cases without any context. Are they sick?
If the problem with tests if false negatives, it really shrinks the death rate and risks. If it's false positives among those with immunity, outbreaks on campuses and in schools is a false panic.

My narrative is that individuals should make their own decisions about the risks they are willing to take and we should get on with our lives. The toll on mental health and the economy from lockdowns and widespread panic has already dwarfed the direct impact of the virus. So, I could grant that the virus is as bad as the worst predictions state and my solution would not change. But there is certainly plenty to be skeptical about, making the reaction to the virus a terrible terrible mistake.

Sounds familiar...

I agree that the Big Ten was overestimating how much more dangerous playing was than not playing but I don't see what parties in Wuhan have to do what that. China doesn't have a great reputation of reporting the truth and they can fight coronavirus more effectively because they can control their population. Here we can't even get people to avoid intentionally getting/spreading coronavirus. Look at the Cleveland Indians issue for example - they had million dollar contracts and a teammate who had cancer last year and risked all of it to hang out in the city for a night. We're not following the trajectory China is reporting and odds are they aren't either.
What does the Cleveland Indians have to do with any of this...?

But even the bolded is false.

Great analogy: two neighbors decide they want to go on vacation 1000 miles away. One says that the risk of getting covid on an airplane is very low, if you book with no middle seat and use proper precautions. The other neighbor says, no that's too risky for them, so they're gonna drive there.

First neighbor flies there, doesn't get sick, has a great time. Second neighbor drives there, doesn't get sick, has a great time.

In that case, you can't possibly conclude that either neighbor was "wrong". Each made the decision that was appropriate for themselves, given the information they had and trusted. Simply, it took the second neighbor longer to get there, and ended up being more costly with gas, hotels, etc. considering how cheap flights are now. That's all.

Agree completely.

Great point.

Just as only looking at deaths glosses over a considerate amount of disease, potential for chronic ailments, and possibly requirements for long term care down the road ....... so too does only looking at if a season was able to be completed.

At what cost? Did teams lose games because players had to sit out? Did a coach have to sit out a season? Or worse?

Top Bottom