The amazing success of AW Jr.

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
When he signed with us, I think we all knew he could be something special.

Then, he became an All-Big Ten db. Then an All American. He was the 4th safety taken, the 45th pick, which is as high as a Gopher for a very long time (I think since Maroney in '06). Now he has made the NFL All-Rookie team and got 4th in the voting for defensive ROTY. Finally, he has a chance to win a Super Bowl ring today (and even if they don't win, he is playing in the frickin' Super Bow as a rookie (TJ as well) l!!).

Maybe he deserves a shrine. :) At least someone needs to endow a scholarship in honor of him.

"Hats off to thee" to our 3 Gophers today for such a high level of success but special congrats to AW Jr. for what has proven to be an exceptionally amazing few years.

I remember when one of our GH experts called him a bust. Didn't have to be a FB genius to see he was going to be special. Hope he is healthy for the SB and has an amazing game !

Good post. Though, Ra’shede Hageman was #37 overall in ‘14.
What would it take for him to get back in the NFL? Too late, not strong enough, not smart enough?

AJWjr was rated 0.8285, a low 3*, coming out of high school. Ratings mean something, but the eye test matters, too.

AJWjr was rated 0.8285, a low 3*, coming out of high school. Ratings mean something, but the eye test matters, too.
And people get bent out of shape for getting a low three guy and not more 4's.

A little pedigree matters. I bet he was doing his dad's moves while watching his dad pro football films when he was a toddler.

And to think that his dad's alma mater tOSU didn't offer him because he was too short, and they were loaded.

Damien Wilson, Antoine Winfield Jr, and Tyler Johnson.

May this be the start of a Super Bowl mill school! There will be more to come. Kudos to Gopher Football!

A couple more going to the NFL this year and whole bunch I suspect the year after, The NFL boat starts feeling a little packed. Great to see the program is starting to send some game changers into the NFL. Hope to see a few more boat rowing end zone celebrations in the years to come.

After the backstory, AWJr. can do nothing wrong!

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here is Winfield's post game press conference. Nice shout out to the U of M and the state of Minnesota. Superstar in the making.

I think it was Deandre Mathieu who tweeted the Bucs just got the next him when AW Jr was drafted. I see a lot of similarities, not just in their stature. Both play the run well, tackle, make splashy plays. If you asked me before the game who was most likely to get an INT of anyone on the field it was Winfield Jr because he just does stuff like that in big moments/games.

He was acting a little punk last night.

i was slightly disappointed.

I think it was Deandre Mathieu who tweeted the Bucs just got the next him when AW Jr was drafted. I see a lot of similarities, not just in their stature. Both play the run well, tackle, make splashy plays. If you asked me before the game who was most likely to get an INT of anyone on the field it was Winfield Jr because he just does stuff like that in big moments/games.
Is that Tyrann’s brother?

Tyreek Hill needed to get punked on. He choked his pregnant gf in college and broke his toddler's arm. Everyone sweeps that under the rug because he can run fast but he deserved to get clowned on.
The Chiefs have a zero-tolerance policy on domestic violence (only if said violence is captured on video).

Top Bottom