Thank you Big Ten Refs

Sorry, I've watched a lot of Big Ten basketball, and I have to agree, Bo Ryan is by far the biggest whiner in the league. And it's not just the whining, it's the faces, the body language, etc. He acts like every call that goes against Wisconsin, no matter how obvious, is the biggest injustice in the world.

Haven't seen a coach like that in the Big Ten since Jud Heathcote (and, of course, Bobby Knight, but that's a whole different kind of whining).

Jon Voight is a terrific actor. Thad Matta gives him a run for his money in the whining department. Somehow despite Voight being the Bucky coach, I dislike Matta more.

Sorry, I've watched a lot of Big Ten basketball, and I have to agree, Bo Ryan is by far the biggest whiner in the league. And it's not just the whining, it's the faces, the body language, etc. He acts like every call that goes against Wisconsin, no matter how obvious, is the biggest injustice in the world.

Haven't seen a coach like that in the Big Ten since Jud Heathcote (and, of course, Bobby Knight, but that's a whole different kind of whining).

He fits right in with all the fans at Williams Arena. Everyone knows the Gophers have never committed a foul in that building.

If Ryan didn't win, nobody would give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# how he acted. Nobody ever cared what Steve Yoder was doing on the sidelines.

He fits right in with all the fans at Williams Arena. Everyone knows the Gophers have never committed a foul in that building.

If Ryan didn't win, nobody would give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# how he acted. Nobody ever cared what Steve Yoder was doing on the sidelines.

You're right I suppose. Even if he doesn't whine that much more then anyone else (it sure seems like he does) it's the looks of utter shock and anguish that he manages to put up that are so impressive.

BTW, why would an amish person be on the Wisconsin sidelines? ;)

That's really nothing new for Purdue, except Johnson not being in foul trouble. The freshmen coming off the bench (mostly Byrd and Barlow) are having the toughest time with fouls this year. I felt bad for Kelsey when he picked up his 4th on a play where I'm pretty sure there was no contact.

Hummel and Kramer, in particular, got away with anything and everything all night. Hummel had a few obvious fouls that weren't called, and Kramer bumped bodies the whole game and wasn't called. Again, this is all ok if the refs don't call those same fouls (and beyond) against the Gophers. That was certainly not the case, thus the bitching you see from every Gopher fan.

Do you think it is possible that the missed shots and turnovers just may have been caused by Purdue's insistence on clutching, grabbing, holding, arm-barring, hand-checking, and general rough tactics? In other words is it possible that non-calls on obvious contact during that timeframe just may have played a role? Maybe? I mean it was beyond ridiculous at times last night. Any shot the Gophers shot in the paint was considered a good defensive play, although EVERY replay clearly showed contact. I realize they won't all get called, but hardly ANY got called. Meanwhile, Iverson and Carter were called for fouls for literally standing there on shot attempts by JuJuan Johnson.

Again, the refs didn't cause the Gophers to lose, but that was one poorly officiated game by three veteran referees. It was awful.

Why does everyone insist on saying this all of the time (see bold)? The simple fact is, refs can and most certainly do control certain athletic contests, and this was a prime example of one that could have gone either way had the refs called a fair game. I don't know that the Gophers would have won, but to agree that the reffing was horrible and then say in the same breath that reffing wouldn't have changed the outcome is simply illogical.... on the other hand, your first paragraph was dead nuts on.

Top Bottom