Thank you Big Ten Refs

It is clear to see that the Gophers were at the short end of the stick tonight when it comes to officiating. With that said, we had opportunities. It is pretty uncool that we already had an uphill battle against a very good team and the refs had to help them more.

I think the reffing in the second half has almost as been as bad against Purdue as it was in the first against the Gophers.

I do not agree with this assessment. While they have started making some phantom calls against the Purdue, they've continued to do so against the Gophers. That said, the Boilers have played much better in the second half and clearly would have won the game going away despite any reffing imbalances.

Purdue is the better team, but the Gophs have no chance with refs like this. I think any Boiler fan would agree they have been awful.

means very little when they try to even it out once the game is out of hand.

Bottom line is Purdue in the second half showed they are much better, especially at home, and deserved the win but the complaints on BT refs still stand and it would of been nice to see this game play out had they not taken over in the first half and I imagine if we visit the Purdue board this weekend when they visit Bo and Madison, that we will be reading many of the same complaints from there fans.

Good game guys. Game was closer than it looked due to both interesting reffing and ice-cold Gopher shooting. I'm looking forward to visiting the Barn, because it should be a great game.

I think the reffing in the second half has almost as been as bad against Purdue as it was in the first against the Gophers.

It was for a 5-minute stretch there...then suddenly the refs went bonkers again and called everything Purdue's way, even including little Robby's "foul" (tie-up) and added T.

I do not agree with this assessment. While they have started making some phantom calls against the Purdue, they've continued to do so against the Gophers. That said, the Boilers have played much better in the second half and clearly would have won the game going away despite any reffing imbalances.

If "won the game going away" means by between 0-5 points, then I agree.

means very little when they try to even it out once the game is out of hand.

Bottom line is Purdue in the second half showed they are much better, especially at home, and deserved the win but the complaints on BT refs still stand and it would of been nice to see this game play out had they not taken over in the first half and I imagine if we visit the Purdue board this weekend when they visit Bo and Madison, that we will be reading many of the same complaints from there fans.

After that mess I almost hope the Badgers give the Boilers a taste of their own home cookin' and see how they like it.

You gotta love Kramer complaining about the close over-and-back call for about 2 minutes after all the calls he got in his favor all game.

I wish they had shown a replay of that over-and-back. I'm pretty sure he landed with one foot on each side of the line, and I guess if his front foot came down first it technically should have been and over-and-back, but I've never seen that called.

Yep, this is all the refs fault. Minnesota should take little responsibility for losing the lead! Unreal! It's so easy to just blame it on the refs. Have you thought, maybe, just maybe, Purdue has better players than the Gophers?

I don't usually get upset anymore about biased referees but this was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. From the six minute mark of the first half to to the three minute mark of the second half (when the game was no longer a game) the officiating was grossly one way. I would guess there was a combination of twenty times when the gophers got hammered and there were no calls or Purdue got touched and the whistle blew. What is more important than a gopher loss was the lack of integrity of the game. Shameful. Way beyond home cooking.

Purdue is a pretty good team but they will be out after the first or second round of the tourney. I thought the gophers played pretty well. Unfortunately, what I will remember about this game is the officiating.

If you're implying that the refereeing caused a 14-19 point swing, I absolutely disagree.

Official's calls whether correct or not can sway momentum. You add that to a home crowd and a top 5 team and a close game can turn into a blow out in a hurry!

Momentum is the huge in basketball. The refs took it away from the Gophers late in the 1st half and during their spurt in the 2nd half.

Hightower is the worst ref ever and plays to the home crowd unlike any ref I've ever seen. That's an absolute truth that can't be disputed. Once I saw him reffing the game, I knew the Gophers would lose.

The Gophers could have shot themselves back into the game and missed. That's on the Gophers. You can win when it's 5 vs 8 on the road and the Gophers did their best by protecting the ball well but that alone won't win when Hightower is reffing the game. You have to shoot much better than the Gophers did.

With competent refs, this would have been a much closer game. I think all else held equal Purdue wins 6 or 7 times out of 10 against the Gophers but unfortunately, we didn't get to find out exactly how the teams compare tonight.

Might have affected the momentum, but I'm still not buying the 15 point swing.

Off topic note - during the Alamo (MSU/TT) Bowl the other day, the announcers mentioned at the beginning how momentum is overrated, and then CONTINUED TO MENTION MOMENTUM EVERY TWO MINUTES FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. Drove me nuts.

If you don't think momentum with a home crowd and a talented team can give you ten/fifteen plus points then you either haven't played or watched enough basketball in your days!

One final thought from me tonight...I have never seen someone suck at their job more than Hightower does at his. It is seriously one of life's great mysteries how he still has his job. In college, I managed a mini-golf and batting cage business during the summer. One of the employees not once counted the till correctly at the end of her shift. She would constantly leave the lights on when she closed the place down, needed a calculator to figure out how much change was needed when given $5 and the price was $4.50, and once left the front door wide open during the night because she forgot to move the chair that kept it open.

She was infinitely better at her job than Hightower.

Hightower single handedly sank our boat. Inside of 7 minutes left in the first half we had momentum and the lead. Then we got about a million fouls in a row and sort of crawled into halftime.

This game reminded me why I dislike Hightower so, so much.

I've said before and I'll say it again. All officials of any kind are the lowest form of human life.

Gophers could help themselves by actually making a lay-up once in a while. I didn't see much of a silver lining besides Carter tonight.

I was VERY impressed with Carter tonight! He just earned more minutes in my opinion. Taking it to the hole with authority and very active on the glass! Lets keep that coming Paul!!!

I thought the officiating was very inconsistent and favored Purdue. Hopefully things will even out in the return match next month.

Regarding the influence of officiating on basketball games: I once covered a Minnesota State BB championship game. It was amazing. One team was allowed significantly more physical play under the basket than was the other team. After the game, outside the locker room door, I still remember the look of utter confusion on the losing coach's face. All he could say was "How can only one team pick up fouls?" They lost by 2 points. Refs influenced the outcome, one of the things good officials are not supposed to do. First thing they try and teach at certification clinics.

I don't usually get upset anymore about biased referees but this was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. From the six minute mark of the first half to to the three minute mark of the second half (when the game was no longer a game) the officiating was grossly one way. I would guess there was a combination of twenty times when the gophers got hammered and there were no calls or Purdue got touched and the whistle blew. What is more important than a gopher loss was the lack of integrity of the game. Shameful. Way beyond home cooking.

Purdue is a pretty good team but they will be out after the first or second round of the tourney. I thought the gophers played pretty well. Unfortunately, what I will remember about this game is the officiating.

Agreed with most of it except the bold. They were in the Sweet Sixteen last year and played well against UConn. They've been good for three years. I see no reason why they won't challenge for the Final Four this year.

The traveling call Hightower made on Nolen in the first half was terrible. But I guess I shouldn't expect anything from that guy.

Refs were very inconsistent tonight.

Agreed with most of it except the bold. They were in the Sweet Sixteen last year and played well against UConn. They've been good for three years. I see no reason why they won't challenge for the Final Four this year.

They seem fundamentally solid but I don't think that they don't have the guard play or the athletic ability to go far in the tournament.

In case I'm wrong are you going to jump all over me for the next three years? BTW, when was the last time we saw AP turn the corner?:)

Agreed jammer. Purdue is a good team, but I just think they have too many weaknesses to win 4-5 games in a row in the tourney.

They seem fundamentally solid but I don't think that they don't have the guard play or the athletic ability to go far in the tournament.

In case I'm wrong are you going to jump all over me for the next three years? BTW, when was the last time we saw AP turn the corner?:)

No, I will let you off the hook on this one. I don't know much about Lewis Jackson's injury, but that guy sure impressed me last year. If he is able to come back, their guard play will be much better.

Purdue is a pretty good team but they will be out after the first or second round of the tourney.

I'll be absolutely shocked if the Boilers don't at least make the Sweet 16. They got that far last year and nearly beat UCONN.

Westbrook's palming

Only Eddie can spot a palming call while the "offender" is being mugged on his way to the basket.
Leave it to Hightower to come up with the unexpected call. It's like he looks for that weird stuff to call.

Top Bottom