Texas series officially cancelled

I'm a Vikings fan but think its rude and in poor taste to come onto a Gopher blog and have a Vikings moniker. It shows me that you are on here just to get some sort of reaction to your posts.

Umm.... no. Poor taste? Are you kidding? Stop trying to be the moniker police. I hope you take up the crusade against folks with twins monikers too.

So he hates Brewster, big deal. Keep the argument at that. Nothing wrong with liking the Vikings. Nothing wrong even with liking the Vikings more than Gopher football. He is a fan, and therefore he belongs here. Who are you to tell him that he's only here to make people angry?

I love Brew's quote in the official release. He could have easily let his mentor Mack Brown off the hook with a passifying quote, but you can tell he's upset:

“I’m extremely disappointed that Texas has chosen not to play us,” Gopher head coach Tim Brewster said. “This was very unexpected, considering we had an agreement in principal. Our fans and our team were excited to play Texas. Obviously, they weren’t as excited about playing us. We plan to fill that slot in our upcoming schedule with a quality BCS opponent.”

Go Gophers!!

I'm a Vikings fan but think its rude and in poor taste to come onto a Gopher blog and have a Vikings moniker. It shows me that you are on here just to get some sort of reaction to your posts.

Bingo. This guy is a tool.

You can be a fan of both teams - sure.

I truly believe the Vikings are one (not THE, just one) of the objects standing in the way of the Gophers' success. So for me, I cannot become a Vikings fan. However, I can see how some can be legitimate fans of both teams.

That said, I would never go onto a Vikings message board and make posts about the Vikings leaving for L.A., or the potential for a cancelled 2011 NFL season. Poor taste is correct.

This has nothing to do with us and everything to do with Texas, their TV deal, and their sour relationship with the BigTen. If there was anyone at the U who could be looked at, it's Maturi. Hopefully he replaces Texas with someone exciting.

Texas teams

As long as recruiting is important, just about any Texas school would do as a home and away
opponent. Rice would be super, as would SMU or Baylor (again). Houston is a risk, of course,
but could have some regional recruiting advantages. North Texas is another.

Texas State will probably be moving up to FBS in the not so distant future, and possibly UTSA.
There are some games with Texas ties to be had.....

As long as recruiting is important, just about any Texas school would do as a home and away
opponent. Rice would be super, as would SMU or Baylor (again). Houston is a risk, of course,
but could have some regional recruiting advantages. North Texas is another.

Texas State will probably be moving up to FBS in the not so distant future, and possibly UTSA.
There are some games with Texas ties to be had.....

True, but none of them will fly as replacements for Texas. While basically any school we add will be decried as a downgrade, anything less than another BCS conference school shouldn't be considered in this case (unless we're talking a BYU/Boise State type team which I suppose Houston might be).

Be nice to see some of those other schools replace a S. Dakota in the future though!

Thank Goodness.

Get Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and heck why not TCU? We need BCS teams on the schedule that will interest fans and develope the team heading into a Big Ten schedule but until our team is better I think playing a team like Texas is not a good idea. If we can compete its great play them but I am not sure we are on that level. Hopefully in a couple years that will be the case but getting blown out is not going to help us.

Umm.... no. Poor taste? Are you kidding? Stop trying to be the moniker police. I hope you take up the crusade against folks with twins monikers too.

So he hates Brewster, big deal. Keep the argument at that. Nothing wrong with liking the Vikings. Nothing wrong even with liking the Vikings more than Gopher football. He is a fan, and therefore he belongs here. Who are you to tell him that he's only here to make people angry?

I'm not the moniker police, but seriously how hard is it to come up with something gopher related?
It isnt. Come on here and lets discuss gopher football in an informed and intelligent way. Coming on here just to feel important and get a reaction is pathetic in my book. I dont want to ban him just wish some were a bit more thoughtful with their posts.

Quite frankly I don't want to compete against Texas for Texas kids, I think we'll always be at a severe disadvantage. Now the kids who aren't getting offers from there and are looking to settle, those are better targets and a more prudent use of resources. I'd be just fine with a one and one with another texas school.

Recruiting is part of it, sure. But the other part is having a decent non-conference schedule. We still haven't shaken the reputation for having a cupcake schedule. Until Texas cancelled, we had BCS opponents scheduled out for a very long time. The U wasn't willing to settle for the crumbs that fell from Texas' table, so we will have to find another opponent. Schedule a non-BCS team, even a good one, and people will throw the cupcake label around.

Maybe when we play for a National Championship again we can say we prefer to play someone other than Texas:p

I was somewhat disappointed too.

I agree with Schnoodler. I guess I was thinking about the Gophers recruiting and that maybe kids that didn't get scholarships at Texas or in Texas would give us a shot. NO issue now, just drive on.

Schedule a non-BCS team, even a good one, and people will throw the cupcake label around.

It's true. wisky recently played a really tough Fresno St. team and their scheduling reputation didn't improve at all.

Meh, replace 'em with Florida LOL

Yeah, Florida hasn't left their region to play a Non-Conference game in about 15 years. Talk about "laugh out loud" funny. They do seem to have played a few non-conference games late in the season though.

Invite those Gators up here for an after-Thanksgiving game. Much like the Miami players were "freezing" in 44 degree weather in their last bowl game I'd love to see the Florida guys playing in 32 degrees!

Not betting the Gophers would win mind you, I'd just love to see it.:)

The UT spokesman said issues arose over Big Ten restrictions for Texas to use game footage on its coaching shows and BEVOD cable channel.

Which means, we just want the footage to use for our Longhorn Sportscenter show that is aired on Local Fox early Sunday mornings. BEVOD is an on-demand channel that we've had most of this decade. In the past we've always used the tv brodcasts, whatever it may be (ESPN, Fox, Versus, etc) for these purposes. To me that means that the Big 10 Network said no deal.

This crap flies but pantherhawk should be banned. Got it. I think I'm finally catching on to the homer logic.

I think it flies. I just cut to the chase. If you make a dickheaded post intended to atagonize people, don't be surprised when it's met with an equally dickheaded post. This is a message board for fans of gopher football in case you were wondering.

In the past we've always used the tv brodcasts, whatever it may be (ESPN, Fox, Versus, etc) for these purposes. To me that means that the Big 10 Network said no deal.

A) The Big XII is partners with ESPN and Fox .... of course UT can use the video.

B) Texas has only been on Versus twice...one was a conference game against Baylor which means the Big XII did have a relationship in 2007 with Versus.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/fb-all-time-tv.html

C) The Big 10 Network didn't say no deal....they had restrictions. The University of South Dakota doesn't have a problem with the restrictions...why should Texas?

I didn't say anything about relationships. Why wouldn't the University of South f'n Dakota have a problem? Seriously that's what you are comparing? I'd be surprised if they even have a video camera for their own staff. So the Big 10 has restrictions. They really care that much about not letting us use footage for a stupid coaches show? Who cares.

Look, you don't know everything behind this, and neither do I. All we know is your side is upset that we couldn't reach an agreement because of video rights. Our side has said we just want it for the coaches show and local cable channel. Big deal.

When Dan Beebe warned the members of the BigXII that they would need to strengthen their schedules, I wondered to myself if Texas wouldn't run the opposite direction.

At the time, it looked like Texas was considering moving to a schedule with 2 non-conference opponents from BCS conferences. But without Minnesota, they will be on pace to play one BCS opponent in the non-conference. California, Mississippi and UCLA are all usually mediocre teams in talent-rich states.

No way does Texas "replace" Minnesota on their schedule with another BCS opponent. It isn't going to happen. Texas is going to fill its schedule with games against Texas State, SMU, UTEP, North Texas, etc. And they are going to play all of these games at home or in neutral sites.

I'm sure there's more that's not being said, but this can't really be about after-the-fact use of highlight footage can it? Who cares? Since when are there restrictions on a NC oponent using footage the next day on a coaches show? I assume it was more along the lines of Texas wanted to show the game live on its Network and we said no?

FWIW, for those bashing skoalvikings for his moniker or being a a Vikings fan, give me a break. Those of you hating the Vikings for the perceived injury to Gopher football are an extreme minority among MN sports fans, if not on this board. It gets old.

As for the moniker-police, perhaps he just wants to have the same log-in on multiple sites? That's not a crime.

It's OK the winds change. What looks like an elitist castle can quickly turn to hermitage when the world quits paying attention. They will then wish they had a relationship with the other big conferences.

See my avatar.

J
FWIW, for those bashing skoalvikings for his moniker or being a a Vikings fan, give me a break. Those of you hating the Vikings for the perceived injury to Gopher football are an extreme minority among MN sports fans, if not on this board. It gets old.

As for the moniker-police, perhaps he just wants to have the same log-in on multiple sites? That's not a crime.

My moniker on gopherhole is gogophers2005.
My moniker on a Vikings board would be govikings2005.

How hard is it? That's what she said.

They can give whatever reason they want for the cancellation. Here's my point: Brewster is constantly raising up the hopes of Gopher fans with good news before we finally find out that the original good news didn't work out. I hope he turns this thing around, but it isn't looking good. In the end, the Texas scheduling situation isn't a big deal by itself. In combination with the yearly recruiting problems, it gets pretty annoying.

By the way--not constantly drinking the Brewster kool-aid, does not make one a troll. If you look back at my original post, there was no name -calling, etc. etc.. You would have to look at the responses to my post to find that.

What yearly recruiting problems?

The UT spokesman said issues arose over Big Ten restrictions for Texas to use game footage on its coaching shows and BEVOD cable channel.

Which means, we just want the footage to use for our Longhorn Sportscenter show that is aired on Local Fox early Sunday mornings. BEVOD is an on-demand channel that we've had most of this decade. In the past we've always used the tv brodcasts, whatever it may be (ESPN, Fox, Versus, etc) for these purposes. To me that means that the Big 10 Network said no deal.

You are making the assumption that a UT spokesman has any credibility at all. After the Big 12-PAC 10 fiasco, I wouldn't trust a darn thing an athletic rep from UT says.

FYI, Texas is now finalizing a deal with Notre Dame to replace the Minnesota series. Just sayin.

FYI, Texas is now finalizing a deal with Notre Dame to replace the Minnesota series. Just sayin.

You're 'just saying" that when it comes to money a Longhorn's word is worth about as much as sand in the Sahara. Or better yet, when it comes to honoring a commitment the University of Texas is "all hat and no cattle".

We know, that's what everybody in the Pac 10 and the Big 12 have been saying all along. Brewster spent enough time down there, he should have known that.

So it wasn't about video rights, it was about scheduling Notre Dame. I'm sure Notre Dame's video rights are not less restrictive than the Big 10's. According to a Jim Delaney quote, the Big 10 would have found a way to make the video rights work for Texas. That excuse sounded lame to begin with. I hope Texas is never again mentioned as a possible Big 10 member. What a headache that would be.

You're 'just saying" that when it comes to money a Longhorn's word is worth about as much as sand in the Sahara. Or better yet, when it comes to honoring a commitment the University of Texas is "all hat and no cattle".

We know, that's what everybody in the Pac 10 and the Big 12 have been saying all along. Brewster spent enough time down there, he should have known that.

Laughable. A "commitment" (funny choice of wording there) is a one way street huh? It'd be easy to say Minnesota and the Big Ten wasn't "commited" enough to making this game happen as well, but you don't hear that kind of crybaby talk coming from Texas fans.

You sound like a girl that's crying because her prom date wanted a garauntee of some action before he spent all that money on the limo and dinner on her. And because you come from a family of prudes who want things their way just as much as the prom date wants things his way, you wouldn't go along with it. Now the lost prom date is working a saucy deal with a hotter chick and you are upset. Boo effin' hoo. Get over it.

Admit it. The only reason why you are so upset is because you don't get a chance to play Texas, who you now talk trash about, like a jealous lonely prom girl would.

Texas had no gain in playing Minnesota. Not recruiting wise, or by any other aspect. The potential gain was all Minnesota's.

It's unfortunate that things couldn't be worked out, but pointing the finger at Texas, calling foul, and getting upset is quite possibly the most pathetic thing I've witnessed all off-season. Congrats, Gopher cry baby, you've made a mountain out of a little gopher hill.

Top Bottom