Texas series officially cancelled

"Had enough, eh?"

600full-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-screenshot.jpg

too good to be true

Yet another 'too good to be true' from Brewster. Let's hope they replace the series with something respectable. You got to hand it to him though--every time he signs a top-rated recruit, the PR machine is in full gear; however, when (inevitably) that top-rated recruit isn't eligible, they sneak it into the bottom of Sid's column as an fyi. I'm sure the canceled Texas series will be handled similarly.

From the article: "preferably from a BCS conference"

Uh-oh. Looks like a home and home with Montana St.

The link makes it sound like Texas was being Texas except we wouldn't play the part of the Big XII for them.

canceled over video rights.....wtf. Just proves its completely about the $$$$ and not the actual game on the field...

Texas and USC should just play each other 12x a year for the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag national championship and let the rest of us play college football.

Newly registered UT alumnus <take it easy on me>. We here are disappointed the series fell off as well. One of those random BCS conference matchups that seem to be just 'so difficult for Texas to schedule' that falls by the wayside for a double directional Louisiana school. And as mentioned, we'll never really get the full story but it's pretty clear it was about $ and it wouldn't be all that shocking if it was Tx trying to squeeze the pennies out of it, my guess is that damn Texas Sports network in the works.

Anyhow, I like the new stadium y'all got and will be making a trip up there for the tosu game. looking forward to it, ill be around as long as y'all will allow.

You have to give UT credit. All the advantages of an independent and all the advantages of conference affiliation. As much as I don't like the Gophers losing out a chance to play the Horns, the Big XXII commissioner's office made their deals real well.

Will Texas ever again play another Big 10 team ...

Will Texas ever again play another Big 10 team in the regular season? They do not have one Big 10 team scheduled for any future season and it seems to be about broadcast video rights. They are scheduled to play a home and home with Mississippi 2012 and 2013, so they are either still negotiating or have come to an agreement with the SEC about broadcast rights. Or maybe that game will be cancelled as well. It's too bad that college football is coming to teams like Texas only playing teams and conferences that are willing to negotiate away their broadcast rights.

It's OK the winds change. What looks like an elitist castle can quickly turn to hermitage when the world quits paying attention. They will then wish they had a relationship with the other big conferences.

Sorry, but I think this is mostly good news.

The season is already too long, and we take beating.

Why do you think we always stink late in the year?

Screw Texas. No offense to the one nice Texas poster we have, but your program has acted like bullies to all of college football. I'm glad they aren't in my conference and I'm glad we aren't wasting any more time on them.

Bring someone in here Gopher fans can get excited about... and not just because ESPN talks about them all the time. Home-and-home with ISU would be fun. Mizzou maybe.

I've always thought it would be a cool thing if we played home-and-home with Boston College.... the only non-Big Ten, BCS school who is also a hockey power.... and somehow both schools got together and scheduled a hockey series for the same weekend both years. Or do the same thing with somebody like Louisville, with hoops.

It wasn't too long ago that we had Colorado slated as a future opponent. Probably worth looking into again since their scheduling is totally in limbo past next year. Example: they still have listed as future OOC opponents Washington, Oregon, and Arizona State.

Not sure what their future schedule looks like, but South Florida would be an ideal home and home series for the Gophers. Good team in an area the Gophers want to recruit.

Yet another 'too good to be true' from Brewster. Let's hope they replace the series with something respectable. You got to hand it to him though--every time he signs a top-rated recruit, the PR machine is in full gear; however, when (inevitably) that top-rated recruit isn't eligible, they sneak it into the bottom of Sid's column as an fyi. I'm sure the canceled Texas series will be handled similarly.

Hey Skoal, go back to your Vikings blog and bask in the Vikings beating 3 teams last year with a winning record en route to the playoffs. Throw in 2 wins against bottom feeder Detroit and it gets even more pathetic.

Do you seriously blame this on Brewster? Why is it so wrong for him to come in here and want to play tougher BCS teams? I don't think you understand how difficult that is to do, especially in todays college football world. Take a look at Wisconsin and who they continue to play in their non-conference. Their fans are sick of it.

EG, your exactly right South Florida would be great. I also think Central Florida would be good too....In Orlando and in a new stadium Brighthouse Field.

Did you not read the article or are you simply trying to troll? Texas wanting more money but that is somehow Brew's fault? Because that's a dispute over video rights means this is Texas' fault. The new Longhorn Sports Network should be running by 2015 and Texas prob wanted more control on the rights than MN or the B10 would give. Good to know I can add you to the list of posters who doesn't let facts stand in the way when Brew bashing.

Did you not read the article or are you simply trying to troll? Texas wanting more money but that is somehow Brew's fault? Because that's a dispute over video rights means this is Texas' fault. The new Longhorn Sports Network should be running by 2015 and Texas prob wanted more control on the rights than MN or the B10 would give. Good to know I can add you to the list of posters who doesn't let facts stand in the way when Brew bashing.

They can give whatever reason they want for the cancellation. Here's my point: Brewster is constantly raising up the hopes of Gopher fans with good news before we finally find out that the original good news didn't work out. I hope he turns this thing around, but it isn't looking good. In the end, the Texas scheduling situation isn't a big deal by itself. In combination with the yearly recruiting problems, it gets pretty annoying.

By the way--not constantly drinking the Brewster kool-aid, does not make one a troll. If you look back at my original post, there was no name-calling, etc. etc.. You would have to look at the responses to my post to find that.

Hey Skoal, go back to your Vikings blog and bask in the Vikings beating 3 teams last year with a winning record en route to the playoffs. Throw in 2 wins against bottom feeder Detroit and it gets even more pathetic.

Ah yes, it has been a while since I've seen the 'any fan of another team in town cannot really be a true fan of the Gophers' post. Football season must be right around the corner!

Just a quick note on scheduling: The NFL schedule is fixed based on rotating division match-ups and the previous year's record. The Gopher non-conference schedule is put together by the U.

They can give whatever reason they want for the cancellation. Here's my point: Brewster is constantly raising up the hopes of Gopher fans with good news before we finally find out that the original good news didn't work out. I hope he turns this thing around, but it isn't looking good. In the end, the Texas scheduling situation isn't a big deal by itself. In combination with the yearly recruiting problems, it gets pretty annoying.

By the way--not constantly drinking the Brewster kool-aid, does not make one a troll. If you look back at my original post, there was no name-calling, etc. etc.. You would have to look at the responses to my post to find that.

So you being annoyed about recruiting means you can pin this on Brewster? He's supposed to turn around a situation Texas caused? If you're being logical and rational, you can't pin any of this on Brew. We should be mad at him for 1) going out and convincing Maturi to pursue and sign a home and home with Texas and 2) touting that home and home because Texas wants more money via video rights? That's like blaming your parents for getting your hopes up about a cool vacation to the beach, taking you on that vacation, and then having it canceled by a hurricane.

That's why I asked (not accused) if you were trolling. I had a hard time seeing how someone could try and blame Brew for something that is outside of his control. My bad. The problem here is that you are so annoyed with Brew over recruiting that you're cool with blaming him for other stuff too. Let me know when we can start hating him for any bad weather because he tweeted about how great the weather forecast is supposed to be.

The guy has Vikings in his moniker, so consider the source.
Go back to your big blue football bubble and worry yourself sick while the prima donna QB treats you like an on again/off again prom date.

Was there something in my post that offended you? Was there something in my post that was untrue, or incorrect?

Your stupidity is what offends me. And also it's untrue there was no PR. Both a press release and an article in the stib reported this item, moron.

I am not a fan of Brewster in the least and think that he's in way over his head.

But this has nothing to do with Brewster. To blame him for this series falling through is ridiculous.

Ah yes, it has been a while since I've seen the 'any fan of another team in town cannot really be a true fan of the Gophers' post. Football season must be right around the corner!

Just a quick note on scheduling: The NFL schedule is fixed based on rotating division match-ups and the previous year's record. The Gopher non-conference schedule is put together by the U.

I'm a Vikings fan but think its rude and in poor taste to come onto a Gopher blog and have a Vikings moniker. It shows me that you are on here just to get some sort of reaction to your posts.
And as far as recruiting goes I think you are well off the mark. First, EVERY team loses some of its recruits, and it just so happens that its typically the 4* guys because who would offer a 2* kid with academic issues?
Second, I think Brew has done just fine with the kids who actually get admitted. Our defense this year will be a Brew defense, and probably the deepest defense in years if not decades.

Top Bottom