Texas series officially cancelled

But if I signed off permanently today I wouldn't be able to point out that you've just made the most extensive and impressive, yet false, strawman argument in the history of this website. Congrats!

:clap:

Vinko was more eloquent, but yeah, I tried to give you the out. "They lied because they wanted the money; deal with it" sounded rather harsh, not that you didn't deserve it, but harsh none the less.

No go away and bring the other guy back.

I'm struggling with doing that, because what I'd give to be 16 or 17 again.

Yeah, a decade plus of 10 win seasons at minimum, with multiple conference championships, and being in the hunt for a national title each and every year while arguably being one of the most dominating forces on the recruiting scene sure is "maintaining an illusion."

:clap:

I don't care about what Texas has accomplished up until this point. Starting in 2011 they will play in a conference that is basically the MountainWest circa 2008.

Nebraska and Colorado left them. They wouldn't join the PacTen, BigTen or SEC. And now they cancel a BigTen series to play Notre Dame? Texas is basically taking their ball and going home. And they'd like everyone to think their sad joke of a conference and their (soon to be) joke of a schedule is in the same universe as the major conferences.

10 wins seasons were nice up until this point. But in the future it won't even be BCS-worthy if they keep this garbage up. Of course, they will. And do exactly what ND has done for the last 15 years. Will you still be so impressed?

I don't care about what Texas has accomplished up until this point. Starting in 2011 they will play in a conference that is basically the MountainWest circa 2008.

Nebraska and Colorado left them. They wouldn't join the PacTen, BigTen or SEC. And now they cancel a BigTen series to play Notre Dame? Texas is basically taking their ball and going home. And they'd like everyone to think their sad joke of a conference and their (soon to be) joke of a schedule is in the same universe as the major conferences.

10 wins seasons were nice up until this point. But in the future it won't even be BCS-worthy if they keep this garbage up. Of course, they will. And do exactly what ND has done for the last 15 years. Will you still be so impressed?

Nebraska and Colorado were lame ducks anyhow. The Big XII still has Texas, Oklahoma, Tech, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M. Not exactly the "Mountain West circa 2008" type teams that you wish it to be.

And I find it hilarious that you label the Minnesota games a "Big Ten Series" instead of calling a spade a spade and admitting that they dropped a series against a struggling program to play a better one. You act as if Texas made their future schedule easier with the move, but you know that's not the case. But go ahead and label it a "Big Ten Series" and tell yourself Texas is weakening their schedule if it makes you feel better.

In the future Texas will be playing both Notre Dame and Cal in their non-conference games. So yeah, about that joke of a schedule comment... you are plainly full of it. Wins against Oklahoma, Tech, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Cal, and Notre Dame will most definitely make them "BCS worthy." To think otherwise is pure stupidity.

If I were you I'd quit now and save yourself more embarassment. You wishing that Texas will fade away and prove to be an "illusion" is like a little girl wishing for a unicorn for her 6th birthday. It's not going to happen.

I posted back to my friends from Texas that there would be a lot of spinning from Texas fans coming the canceling of this game. However, you have exceeded my prediction by about 11ty billion posts.

chickeninterest.jpg

And I find it hilarious that you label the Minnesota games a "Big Ten Series" instead of calling a spade a spade and admitting that they dropped a series against a struggling program to play a better one.

Minnesota is a member of the Big Ten Conference. Therefore, by any honest measure, it is a Big Ten series. That's calling a spade a spade.[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is that Texas canceled a contract with a lame excuse so they could play Notre Dame. Some would say they lied to get out of it. No matter, not being totally upfront about the reason was all about money. It's easy to see what Texas did, and why they did it. I don't like it because I believe agreements should be honored. I also don't like it because I think Maturi was made the fool by not negotiating a settlement, at least enough to cover the expenses of finding and signing another quality opponent.

We don't sue here, we just hand over our lunch money with a smile.

The bottom line is that Texas canceled a contract with a lame excuse so they could play Notre Dame. Some would say they lied to get out of it. No matter, not being totally upfront about the reason was all about money. It's easy to see what Texas did, and why they did it. I don't like it because I believe agreements should be honored. I also don't like it because I think Maturi was made the fool by not negotiating a settlement, at least enough to cover the expenses of finding and signing another quality opponent.

Not really Wag. First we don't even know if there really is a contract. It could have been just a verbal agreement. Texas it appears, would have dumped the Gophers either way. When it comes to money they're funny that way.;)

Secondly, even if there was a contract, how can you blame Maturi for not getting a more ironclad one or one with stronger penalties? Texas held all the cards at that table. They had no real need to schedule the Gophers. They could have gotten a number of other school to fill their dance card. Remember all the $**#&%& posts saying "Brewster's lying again" or "Maturi will never get that done" when the ganes were being discussed? Many of those posts were from trolls or Masonites to be sure, but they had a point about the relative need for the series.

Texas didn't need Minnesota, so why would they agree to anything they didn't like?

Good riddance to the games and hopefully this topic!:clap:

Not really Wag. First we don't even know if there really is a contract. It could have been just a verbal agreement. Texas it appears, would have dumped the Gophers either way. When it comes to money they're funny that way.;)

Secondly, even if there was a contract, how can you blame Maturi for not getting a more ironclad one or one with stronger penalties? Texas held all the cards at that table. They had no real need to schedule the Gophers. They could have gotten a number of other school to fill their dance card. Remember all the $**#&%& posts saying "Brewster's lying again" or "Maturi will never get that done" when the ganes were being discussed? Many of those posts were from trolls or Masonites to be sure, but they had a point about the relative need for the series.

Texas didn't need Minnesota, so why would they agree to anything they didn't like?

Good riddance to the games and hopefully this topic!:clap:

If there wasn't a contract, I'd agree with you 100%. However, according to both Maturi and Brewster, there was a signed contract in hand. If that's the case, then I hold that Maturi should have at least tried to reach a settlement.

If there wasn't a contract, I'd agree with you 100%. However, according to both Maturi and Brewster, there was a signed contract in hand. If that's the case, then I hold that Maturi should have at least tried to reach a settlement.

Actually there wasn't a contract. Texas and Minnesota had an agreement in principle. Not the same thing. All the details have to be worked out for an actual contract to be signed.

Game and series get cancelled all the time in college football. Even when there is a signed contract. Case in point. Texas and Arkansas had a signed contract for a home and home series. Texas played the first game in Fayetteville, but when it came time for the Hogs to play in Austin in 2008, Arky cancelled and the longhorns had to scramble to find a replacement.

Actually there wasn't a contract. Texas and Minnesota had an agreement in principle. Not the same thing. All the details have to be worked out for an actual contract to be signed.

Link?

Game and series get cancelled all the time in college football. Even when there is a signed contract. Case in point. Texas and Arkansas had a signed contract for a home and home series. Texas played the first game in Fayetteville, but when it came time for the Hogs to play in Austin in 2008, Arky cancelled and the longhorns had to scramble to find a replacement.

No one is saying Texas didn't have a right to break it. They can do that whenever they want, contract or no contract.

Pretty tough to argue for it not being a dick maneuver, though.

Maturi has this quote from a widely published AP story:
"We have a signed agreement," Maturi said. "If we wanted to go to court, we'd win. But that's not our style."

Forgive me if I misinterpreted a signed agreement as a contract. I think nearly everyone else in the world would interpret the quote as I did.

Link:
http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=862484

I'd have to go with the Athletic Director, as he is the one that does the negotiating and contract signing. Sometimes people get it wrong when they aren't directly involved.

Top Bottom