Testing the sound system today

I think more brass is a bad idea.

It's a Marching Band, not a Marching Bugle Corp. If you want all brass, go to Wisconsin, or a Canadian Brass, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, or Bonerama show. While I enjoyed those shows doing that for a Marching Band isn't good, it's boring and very limitied. The true stregth of a good Marching band is arrangements that highlight all the sections. Any rube can make a trumpet, or drum section stand out, it takes talent to make all sections shine at the same time. I played the Baritone in high school, so I love Brass, but it is nice to have the balance. Maybe i'm old-fashioned that way.
I think the band is really going to excel at TCF. Knowing that part of the design had only you in mind has to be super cool.

big difference between ALL brass vs. MORE brass

i think the request was MORE. as in a slight reduction in flutes, clarinets, etc, and more bones and trumpets. a little more punch for the band, that's all.

Jack Brass Band if I wanted ALL.

I understand the "cost factor" but why oh why, do we have to be the ONLY band in the Big 10 NOT to take a road trip. Other schools can figure out a way to do it, why can't we? are we the little sisters of the poor? I know that other schools are more centrally located, but geez, go to Northwestern every other year or something! We used to go to Iowa every other year and it was a blast.
I don't think the notion that every other Big Ten band travels is true at all. Northwestern probably doesn't travel at all. Indiana and Purdue MAYBE travels to in-state rivalry games once in a while. Penn State usually only sends pep band sized groups. I'm not sure I've ever heard of the Marching Illini traveling. Iowa's band replaces their uniforms and instruments once every two years instead of traveling. For the vast majority of visiting band trips you hear about, they are all funded by football boosters. This is especially true with Big 12 and SEC bands. Band budgets and Band Alumni Associations simply don't have the cash to fund the trip. Often times with bowl trips it's the donors that step up and find the cash to get the band there. The only bands that travel a lot in the Big Ten are Wisconsin, OSU, and Michigan.

Wow is this thread off topic from its title.:p

Other Bands

I don't think the notion that every other Big Ten band travels is true at all. Northwestern probably doesn't travel at all. Indiana and Purdue MAYBE travels to in-state rivalry games once in a while. Penn State usually only sends pep band sized groups. I'm not sure I've ever heard of the Marching Illini traveling. Iowa's band replaces their uniforms and instruments once every two years instead of traveling. For the vast majority of visiting band trips you hear about, they are all funded by football boosters. This is especially true with Big 12 and SEC bands. Band budgets and Band Alumni Associations simply don't have the cash to fund the trip. Often times with bowl trips it's the donors that step up and find the cash to get the band there. The only bands that travel a lot in the Big Ten are Wisconsin, OSU, and Michigan.

Wow is this thread off topic from its title.:p

Ok, here is what I found on the web: Illinoins is planning a trip to Ohio State on 9/25, this from the Hawkeye Band web site: The Hawkeye Marching Band performs at all Iowa Hawkeye home football games. The band also travels with the team to usually one away game per year and the team's post-season bowl game when the team qualifies for one. The band also travels to Ames, Iowa every other year when the Hawkeyes play the Iowa State Cyclones in the annual battle for the Cy-Hawk Trophy.

On the Northwestern Band website it says that their away game performance is yet to be announced.

It's a Marching Band, not a Marching Bugle Corp. If you want all brass, go to Wisconsin, or a Canadian Brass, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, or Bonerama show. While I enjoyed those shows doing that for a Marching Band isn't good, it's boring and very limitied. The true stregth of a good Marching band is arrangements that highlight all the sections. Any rube can make a trumpet, or drum section stand out, it takes talent to make all sections shine at the same time. I played the Baritone in high school, so I love Brass, but it is nice to have the balance. Maybe i'm old-fashioned that way.
I think the band is really going to excel at TCF. Knowing that part of the design had only you in mind has to be super cool.

So, having more brass is "boring and very limited"? hmm, well, the proof is in the pudding and I am part of your audience, not to mention a band alumn. I'm not saying go ALL brass like Ohio State (thought their arrangements are outstanding and they play very musically) I just think that "balance" in the current U of M band is WAY over the top on the woodwind side. I know the sound will be better in TCF but I have heard the band outdoors at recent bowl games, at the Indoor Concerts, and at the State Fair, and I STILL think they need more of the middle brass sections. Just my opinion, no need to take offense and think that I don't feel there is talent there, and I also never mentioned the arrangements that you are speaking of...I'm strictly talking about the instrumentation. It's still a Marching Band, and you need the brass to project a certain type of sound, especially outdoors. Nothing more exciting at a football game than to hear a couple hundred flutes, clarinets, and saxes, trilling away :). I also believe the true strength of a Marching Band is it's discipline, this includes the tightness and crispenss of its sound, to the discipline of its marching, no talking, lines straight, feet being lifted the same height, etc. Any "rube" marching band can march in crooked lines, talk while in the ranks, play sloppy, look sloppy, it takes real talent to get 300 people doing the same thing at the same time.

Top Bottom