Testing the sound system today

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
I was biking past the north side of the stadium today and heard music coming from the stadium. They were really jamming! They put in some impressive speakers. It was quite loud and quite crisp. Nothing like the sound system in the Dump.

Let's hope they don't use it much and let the band do its job. This is college football afterall!

some amping of the band would be good, because lord knows that you couldn't hear the band for very far in the dome.

some amping of the band would be good, because lord knows that you couldn't hear the band for very far in the dome.

That was more an result of the dome, than a result of the band.

Correct, the dome would suck all the sound away even with the band mic'd.

Plus whatever sound was left would echo around and sound like crap. I'm VERY excited to hear our band as they actually sound (i.e. fantastic).

Yeah open air stadiums allow you to hear bands extremely well. With the band facing the same direction as the fans at ST Thomas I could still hear them pretty well (and then the echo from the big brick wall across the field).

Plus whatever sound was left would echo around and sound like crap. I'm VERY excited to hear our band as they actually sound (i.e. fantastic).

Our band is good but hardly fantastic. With the new stadium maybe we can induce them to perform some more modern tunes than the same old tired repertoire they use year after year. I'm not talking about the Minnesota Traditional Marches and Fight Songs or the Swinging Gate et al but rather the boring half time shows they put on. Maybe this speaks more to the band directors than the band.

Our band is good but hardly fantastic. With the new stadium maybe we can induce them to perform some more modern tunes than the same old tired repertoire they use year after year. I'm not talking about the Minnesota Traditional Marches and Fight Songs or the Swinging Gate et al but rather the boring half time shows they put on. Maybe this speaks more to the band directors than the band.

I was referring to the quality of the musicianship, not the music. :)

Kind of interesting based on current events, but I thought the best halftime show the band performed last year was when they did Thriller. Not that I care for the King of Pop's music much but the band really got into it and it was pretty entertaining to watch.Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stdz0kSoxFo

Hit it on the head with the last sentence. More Chicago or Earth, Wind, and Fire is NOT what people want to listen to. The drill usually sucks pretty hard too, fans want to see recognizable shapes not blobs.

Kind of interesting based on current events, but I thought the best halftime show the band performed last year was when they did Thriller. Not that I care for the King of Pop's music much but the band really got into it and it was pretty entertaining to watch.Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stdz0kSoxFo

The crowd went CRAZY! Definitely need more stuff like that. Any band members here? Please tell the directors to get with the times. Point out the MJ halftime show as an examplE

Hit it on the head with the last sentence. More Chicago or Earth, Wind, and Fire is NOT what people want to listen to. The drill usually sucks pretty hard too, fans want to see recognizable shapes not blobs.

'Twenty five or six to four' now reverberates from the room, next up a 'Saturday in the Park' on queue. :D

It is better than when they attempt Queen or Springsteen.

You are dead on with the blobs though; the only great moment of ten years in the dome was when they managed a decent emulation of a steamboat replete with smoke.

Kansas did the exact same song at halftime of the bowl game. So while not original, at the least the U band did it better than the Jayhawk band.

Blasphemy: Would love to watch and hear the Badger band in TCF.

As entertaining as that was (and not original for a marching band, see youtube), our band is just full of gimmicks. Biggest reason I never wanted the badger to play at our games is they our flat out a better marching band.

I enjoy our band 100%, but it is the truth.

I've always enjoy the band, but they definitely could use some new blood in the leadership ranks. I think it safe to say that things have been stale for awhile. Seeing the Badger band in the Dome clearly showed that while our school songs will always be winners, our band is missing some of the originality and energy that makes certain band programs elite.

More originality, more energy. Simple.

I've always enjoy the band, but they definitely could use some new blood in the leadership ranks. I think it safe to say that things have been stale for awhile. Seeing the Badger band in the Dome clearly showed that while our school songs will always be winners, our band is missing some of the originality and energy that makes certain band programs elite.

And more BRASS and PERCUSSION!

Woodwinds are great in a concert band or a swing band, or a jazz band or a gospel band, or an orchestra etc...

But college marching bands, at least the best ones are either all or mostly brass and percussion... See tOSU for example...

Band???
This isn't the 50 or 60s. It's 2009 and we have much better ways of entertainment. Crank the music and forget the band.

Band???
This isn't the 50 or 60s. It's 2009 and we have much better ways of entertainment. Crank the music and forget the band.

Statements like that are the reason people hate Vikings fans on here. I'm a die hard Gopher and Viking fan (Wolves and Twins too). There's just something special about a college atmosphere. The atmosphere at Vikes games is fun too, but it's different.

Band???

There's a lot of reasons why I prefer college athletics over pros, and it's a divide that's not even close. The atmosphere, the passion, the pageantry, but more than anything, it's the band. It's what sets each school apart from the others, and for the most part, it's what sets pros and college apart. It's why I'm glad you are who you are, Purple Pride, and why I am why I am. You see, you're at the Vikings game, and I'm not, and we're both very happy that way.

Stay at your Vikings game, and I'll cheer for the Gophers, thanks. With my band.

Band???

A college football game without a band is just not right--- just as a professional game WITH a band (outside of a halftime show) would not be right either.

There is nothing else to discuss.

you must be very young.

A college football game without a band is just not right--- just as a professional game WITH a band (outside of a halftime show) would not be right either.

There is nothing else to discuss.

What? The Baltimore Colts and Washington Redskins had their own marching bands for years. The Colts band even stayed together after the midnight move for years. The Vikings had a band that played during games from their inception until the early metrodump days.

Ok, as a former band member, here is my take. Our pregame is awesome. Tons of energy, great high-stepping with flashy 270 degree turns, great music, great formations, tons of pageantry (the Fanfare-Pageant before the Rouser gets my blood pumping every time), tons of history (swinging gates tradition, etc). I'd say it is one of the better pregames in the country (having watched many either on youtube or in person). One big problem is the dome - drowned out the sounds making them sound less exciting, not outdoors (believe me a band looks less drab and boring when in the sunlight).

Our halftimes need to improve. Period. Sometimes it is the music selection, sometimes it is the formations, almost always the low-step marching style - they all contribute to it. Even last year, off the top of my head we had shows like Armed Forces, Jackson 5 (with Thriller), Blues Brothers, Paul Simon, and a show with Tear the Roof and Movin' on Up to kick out the dome. On the surface those seem like they should be ok, but some of them were lackluster (either in sound or formations bored me).

I don't think the band is all about gimmicks - you ask for real formations or pictures, so the band does the plane/train/steamboat show, but that's a gimmick. Ask for exciting, fun things and the Thriller thing is a gimmick. Ask for more tradition, and the band does a show with William Tell and 1812 complete with arrow piercing an apple and a canon firing (the band used to do the Wm Tell thing every year for Dad's day). I personally think shows like Queen (with a real bicycle race during the song), movie tunes (Incredibles, Robin Hood, Superman), Video Game show (Tetris, Zelda, Mario), superheroes (Superman, Batman, Spiderman - all with pictures), the Mound of Sound (band collapses in to center then back out again) and many more are big hits with decent originality, great excitement, some history, and good formations. It is the ones in between that stink.

As for originality - I watched a ton of Youtube videos, only saw 2-3 (if you cound some PSU after-game fun as one) college bands performing it, and we were the first to do it with nearly the whole band. I would say many or all bands would be hard pressed to be completely original, all the time. Most shows (the music) cost quite a bit of money - more than you'd think. There aren't tons of arrangements out there so most shows will have been done either by us before or another band. If you want the band to have a larger selection of music break out your pocket books. The band has very little money since it isn't funded by the athletic dept (to my knowledge).

Does this mean our band is perfect? No. I say start high stepping more often during halftimes and do simple (but exciting) drills in more blocky formations. But that's just me. Our pregame beats the crap out of Wisc's though.

Ok, as a former band member, here is my take. Our pregame is awesome. Tons of energy, great high-stepping with flashy 270 degree turns, great music, great formations, tons of pageantry (the Fanfare-Pageant before the Rouser gets my blood pumping every time), tons of history (swinging gates tradition, etc). I'd say it is one of the better pregames in the country (having watched many either on youtube or in person). One big problem is the dome - drowned out the sounds making them sound less exciting, not outdoors (believe me a band looks less drab and boring when in the sunlight).

Our halftimes need to improve. Period. Sometimes it is the music selection, sometimes it is the formations, almost always the low-step marching style - they all contribute to it. Even last year, off the top of my head we had shows like Armed Forces, Jackson 5 (with Thriller), Blues Brothers, Paul Simon, and a show with Tear the Roof and Movin' on Up to kick out the dome. On the surface those seem like they should be ok, but some of them were lackluster (either in sound or formations bored me).

I don't think the band is all about gimmicks - you ask for real formations or pictures, so the band does the plane/train/steamboat show, but that's a gimmick. Ask for exciting, fun things and the Thriller thing is a gimmick. Ask for more tradition, and the band does a show with William Tell and 1812 complete with arrow piercing an apple and a canon firing (the band used to do the Wm Tell thing every year for Dad's day). I personally think shows like Queen (with a real bicycle race during the song), movie tunes (Incredibles, Robin Hood, Superman), Video Game show (Tetris, Zelda, Mario), superheroes (Superman, Batman, Spiderman - all with pictures), the Mound of Sound (band collapses in to center then back out again) and many more are big hits with decent originality, great excitement, some history, and good formations. It is the ones in between that stink.

As for originality - I watched a ton of Youtube videos, only saw 2-3 (if you cound some PSU after-game fun as one) college bands performing it, and we were the first to do it with nearly the whole band. I would say many or all bands would be hard pressed to be completely original, all the time. Most shows (the music) cost quite a bit of money - more than you'd think. There aren't tons of arrangements out there so most shows will have been done either by us before or another band. If you want the band to have a larger selection of music break out your pocket books. The band has very little money since it isn't funded by the athletic dept (to my knowledge).

Does this mean our band is perfect? No. I say start high stepping more often during halftimes and do simple (but exciting) drills in more blocky formations. But that's just me. Our pregame beats the crap out of Wisc's though.
The pregame show is top 3 in the conference and is (from what I've seen) the longest by far. Ohio State and Michigan State are the other two great pregame shows in the B10. I don't think making symbols and pictures on the field is gimmicky (ie. superhero show a few years ago with the Superman shield, batman logo, etc.) but some of the moving ones are a little gimmicky but I love it once in a while. Thriller=100% gimmick, we aren't the USC band, don't set your horns down and dance. The mound of sound is not original, but is fantastic.

Not quite...

The mound of sound is not original, but is fantastic.

The Mound of Sound is an Minnesota Original, it just has been copied by many others. It was done for the first time awhile ago, but has been brought back several times.

I agree the pregame show is way better than anywhere I have seen games (SEC,ACC, C-USA, etc.) The Big Ten has the three best in the nation, and hard to pick one over the others for me. One thing that is different is that the half-time shows change from week to week where some bands only learn one new song/routine instead of a whole show. One something said eariler, I totally disagree with only horns and drums, a marching band is a marching band, not only brass and percussion. Keep it the way it is. If I only wanted to see horns, I would go watch The Candian Brass, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, or Bonerama.

Forget the band? Them's fighting words. :D

It's not college football without the band. If you want a football game where the stadium is filled with piped in music, there is a league for that, it's called the NFL, Purple Pride. I have nothing against the Vikings, but let college football be college football.

I love the pregame show. The band could possibly have a little more precision when doing the rotating M, but it's still extremely impressive. The band will seem a lot better in the new facility without the dome roof cancelling out the sound.

A lot of the formations are hard to make out if you aren't high up in the stadium. One of the perks of not being close to the field, I guess. One thing that annoyed me at the dome is that the big screen would only show the formation part of the time, and spent most of the time focusing on individual band members. The scoreboard should show the formation the entire time, so people who don't have a good angle can see it.

The halftime shows are very hit-or-miss. Sometimes the music chosen is uninteresting or just not really adaptable to a marching band. And some of the formations weren't that interesting. I'd like to see more formations from the old days used.

Actually the Mound of Sound is not a MN original. Michigan has been doing it longer than us, they call it the "Cake" formation. Correct me if I'm wrong but former director Jerry Luckhardt started this during his tenure from 1997?-2004 seasons. I know we used it in 2003, and probably before that. But Michigan uses it every year (typically to a Blues Bros. show) and has for a while.

I agree on the big screen - too many shots of individual people (typically the same flute or clarinet girl over and over). Show the whole field from th press box or overhead cams!

i first saw the mound of sound when I was in college..

read below

Top Bottom