Tell Me One More Time...

figi

Reaction score
...where is Tubby going to get 4 scholarships for the 4 new player that have sign to join the team next year? Did anyone ask Tubby that question at his get-together with the fans in Phoenix? I can't see Busch losing his ride since he has become one of the most valuble players on the team. Is someone paying their own way or what? Two seniors leaving. Four players coming. The math here escapes me.

I think the general consensus is Busch & Payton. Busch because he is a walk-on; his scholarship is year-to-year and only given when we have one available and Payton because the rumor is he will graduate early.

Note: Busch played a heck of a game today, but calling him "one of the most valuable players on the team" might be going a bit far.

Is Busch going to complain?

I think not.
I see no reason to worry about this.

Jamal and Travis know the scholarship situation and understand how it all works out. Travis could average 20 a game the rest of the year and it still wouldn't change his scholarship situation for next year.

I'm as much of a Busch supporter as anyone, but have to admit that when last year's scholly was given to Travis it was something of a gift. (It wouldn't have been available if Brandon Smith hadn't left. And while I was really happy that Travis was on the team, I expected he'd get a scholarship the following two years and essentially "earn it" last year.)

Like a lot of things in life, stuff balances out. If Travis's scholarship isn't continued next year, I suspect it'll be understood.

(It wouldn't have been available if Brandon Smith hadn't left.

IIRC Busch got Bryce Webster's Scholarship when he did not enroll in school last fall. Smith left the team after practice started and there were only 12 players on scholarship last year. {EDIT- Actually only 11 Scholarship players last year Ryan Saunders was not on Scholarship - but on the roster}. It was reported that Tubby wanted him (Brandon Smith) to play some power forward but B. Smith did not see himself in that role. Looks like Busch can see himself as a 6'4" power forward though.

With regard to scholarships available next year - as others have stated these things often have a way of working themselves out. I know it might be comparing apples to boiled peanuts but Monson's team on average lost 2+ players per year prior to using up their eligibility. I doubt that Tubby will see anywhere near that kind of turnover but I imagine Busch is willing to wait and see what happens.

...where is Tubby going to get 4 scholarships for the 4 new player that have sign to join the team next year? Did anyone ask Tubby that question at his get-together with the fans in Phoenix? I can't see Busch losing his ride since he has become one of the most valuble players on the team. Is someone paying their own way or what? Two seniors leaving. Four players coming. The math here escapes me.

Several posssibilities. Busch may return to walk-on status. Payton may graduate early. Hoffarber may qualify for academic scholarship and not count against 13 limit on athletic scholarships.

I love the way Busch is playing, but I expect that by the end of the year his playing time will almost disappear as the younger players and transfers get more and more comfortable with the system and the level of play. In particular, I would think that Carter and Bostick will begin eating into his time.

I love the way Busch is playing, but I expect that by the end of the year his playing time will almost disappear as the younger players and transfers get more and more comfortable with the system and the level of play. In particular, I would think that Carter and Bostick will begin eating into his time.

Bostick, for one, has a looooong way to go to take minutes from Busch.

Before the season started I stated Bostick would lead the team in scoring. Guess I missed on that one.

Before the season started I stated Bostick would lead the team in scoring. Guess I missed on that one.

I'm with you there. I am at a loss to see how this kid won the Junior College honors he piled up. At the rate he is going and with the new players that are coming, I can see him leaving the program and freeing up a scholarship. I hope he comes out of the doldrums and starts to live up the his pre-season hype. If not he is going to continue to share the bench.

Tubby says he is a great shooter so I am sure he will be given a lot of time in these last two pre-season games. But, once the BT schedule begin, his chance of proving himself are greatly deminished.

Several posssibilities. Busch may return to walk-on status. Payton may graduate early. Hoffarber may qualify for academic scholarship and not count against 13 limit on athletic scholarships.

Do you actually think the NCAA would allow the Gophers to move Hoffarber to an academic scholarship from athletic scholarship?

If that were the case every team would have every player with a GPA over 3.0 on academic scholarship and the others would be on athletic scholarships. It seems like the perfect way to completely circumvent scholarship limits which is why it is not allowed by the NCAA.

I'm with you there. I am at a loss to see how this kid won the Junior College honors he piled up. At the rate he is going and with the new players that are coming, I can see him leaving the program and freeing up a scholarship. I hope he comes out of the doldrums and starts to live up the his pre-season hype. If not he is going to continue to share the bench.

Tubby says he is a great shooter so I am sure he will be given a lot of time in these last two pre-season games. But, once the BT schedule begin, his chance of proving himself are greatly deminished.

Players rarely transfer with only one year of eligibility remaining.

Players rarely transfer with only one year of eligibility remaining.
Essentially, didn't that happen with both Limar Wilson and Engen Nurumbi?

It's premature to conclude that Bostick won't make a contribution ... but I'll admit I'm surprised he's taking this much time. Hope the kid makes it.

As I understand it there is a loophole (not available to every good student) that would allow Hoff some specific type of academic aid.

As for Bostick, it's waaaay too early for people to be suggesting he would leave. I'm biting my tongue right now because I'm tempted to use some much harsher words. We saw Bostick can light it up in the summer league and that was the hype coming in was that he can fill it up. That said, it sounds like that's not the issue. The issue is trying to adjust to playing at the next level (Like MOST Jucos!) and that will come with time.

Minutes are earned on the practice court, not in games and Bostick is a Gopher for the next two years so let's support him.

There is a strange desire by some here to run players off. Not sure what it is or what the motivation is. No team in the country has 13 lottery picks.

There is a strange desire by some here to run players off. Not sure what it is or what the motivation is. No team in the country has 13 lottery picks.
If you think this is bad, check the Kentucky boards. If they have an All-American and he has a bad game, 50% of the posts will demand he immediately transfer because he's not good enough for "Kentucky basketball."

It's kind of the nature of fan forums; people usually get way too high after a win, and way too down after a loss. The UL win was a HUGE win; no doubt. Yet, some people on this board are ready to crown Busch the 2nd coming of Dusty Rychart and Al Nolen the best PG we've had in 25 years. Don't get me wrong, they both played great games, but urging caution to many GHers after a couple good performances often falls on deaf ears (until they've played a bad game that is). :)

It's the nature of the beast.

We aren't, and hopefully never will be Kentucky. We have dentists here.

I haven't read any messages where anyone is suggesting that Bostick should leave. I certainly never meant to imply anything of the sort. I did mean to say that I am sorry he hasn't been able to give the team what many expected. Further I am suggesting that if it doesn't happen in the next 2 games he is going to find it difficult to get the minutes he needs to make a contribution during the BT schedule or next year when Williams and White arrive.

I said I hope things will improve for him and therefore the team. It would be a shame to see a natural scorer end up riding the bench.

Could it be that some people can not tolerate anything that would suggest that all may not be roses for the team. It would be a boring board if all we can discuss is the good news.

Essentially, didn't that happen with both Limar Wilson and Engen Nurumbi?

How soon we forget - I forgot about Limar Wilson - Busch likely got that scholarship which at first went to Nate Garth and then to Busch.

There is a strange desire by some here to run players off. Not sure what it is or what the motivation is. No team in the country has 13 lottery picks.">>>>>>>>>>

Who said anything about running off any players?

>>It's premature to conclude that Bostick won't make a contribution ... but I'll admit I'm surprised he's taking this much time. Hope the kid makes it.<<

Juco transfers rarely contribute during their initial semester. Even Bobby Jackson struggled.

>>There is a strange desire by some here to run players off.<<

The strong desire is to improve the team's talent and athleticism. That isn't accomplished by hanging onto non-players. If a benchwarmer wants playing time, he should be encouraged to transfer to a program where his talent fits in. If he doesn't really care about playing time, I don't think the program should feel obligated to keep him on an athletic scholarship. Just my opinion.

Sorry....

>>It's premature to conclude that Bostick won't make a contribution ... but I'll admit I'm surprised he's taking this much time. Hope the kid makes it.<<

Juco transfers rarely contribute during their initial semester. Even Bobby Jackson struggled.

>>There is a strange desire by some here to run players off.<<

The strong desire is to improve the team's talent and athleticism. That isn't accomplished by hanging onto non-players. If a benchwarmer wants playing time, he should be encouraged to transfer to a program where his talent fits in. If he doesn't really care about playing time, I don't think the program should feel obligated to keep him on an athletic scholarship. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry, but if G4Life would've had his way, DJ would have had his scholarship yanked as well. Patience, people.

Top Bottom