Tanner’s NFL Journey

Ego vs ego. Leaders have to know what to do in that moment.
I am sure Jerry Kill has his set of regrets.

For a young person, some of the life lessons are regrettable if we look back. You don't always get a second chance at redemption. If you do, you hang on tight and don't screw up.

You have to admire Mitch Leidner. He was much maligned for his poor passing skills. He sucked it all up for the good of the team. He made the best of it. I don't recall him ever whining.

Last edited:

Ego vs ego. Leaders have to know what to do in that moment.
Not sure if you're implying Kill should have let Nelson start, but if he had, he would have basically given up control of the team. You don't let players make ultimatums like that.

He ran it cuz he didn’t have a capable qb not the other way around. The best part is he had the players to be better but his stubbornness on his Leidner over Nelson decision doomed him. It is delicious.
Um, no, and you basically contradict youself in the post. Have you looked at NIU and NM State's offensive stats with him as HC? Sure looks a lot like the offense he ran here.

NFL today approved 3rd “emergency” QB suiting up for games. That gives 32 guys a lifeline.
Yeah, this is huge for fringe guys like Morgan. Another opportunity to potentially catch on with someone and get paid very well not to get hit. :)

Yeah, this is huge for fringe guys like Morgan. Another opportunity to potentially catch on with someone and get paid very well not to get hit. :)
It doesn’t affect him too much from a sticking around in the league standpoint. The change is actually kind of minor. An NFL roster has 53 players, but only 46 can be active on gameday (7 are on the team but inactive each game). The rule change allows QB3 to be one of the 7 inactive players but to enter the game if the other two QBs are injured in the game.

Teams are still likely to have 3 QBs. The difference is that QB3 might be on the 53 man roster instead of on the practice squad. So he might get a bigger paycheck, but the number of QBs overall is unlikely to change.

It doesn’t affect him too much from a sticking around in the league standpoint. The change is actually kind of minor.

Okay. Kinda minor. It gives a QB a 33% chance of playing, vs 0%.

Okay. Kinda minor. It gives a QB a 33% chance of playing, vs 0%.
Both before and after the change, the Steelers’ organization was likely going to have 3 QBs.

Both before and after the change, the Steelers’ organization was likely going to have 3 QBs.
Plus I don't think @highwayman 's use of statistics is correct. Just because you are one of three QBs on the roster, doesn't mean you have a 33% chance of playing. It's not like the coach is pulling numbers out of a hat.

For any QB3 to benefit from this, both starting QBs would have to be injured in the same game. If just one QB got hurt, QB3 would be elevated to QB2 before the next game anyways.

Thanks @matt for the clarifications.

The chances of a QB3 playing is pretty small for most teams. I could see a guy like Morgan being an asset as guy that's just like another coach. He seems destined to be a coach after his playing days. That may not be Pittsburgh but could see that happening somewhere else where they have an established QB1.

Not much been reported on TM

Saw this clip on Twitter thought it was cool to see

TM going through the bodily motions of dropping back on a pass play mimicking KP. Kid is trying.

Not much been reported on TM

Saw this clip on Twitter thought it was cool to see

TM going through the bodily motions of dropping back on a pass play mimicking KP. Kid is trying.

Isn't Morgan#2?

That's Kenny Pickett throwing the ball. Morgan is listed on the Pittsburgh roster as #5. Mason Rudolph is #2.

That's Kenny Pickett throwing the ball. Morgan is listed on the Pittsburgh roster as #5. Mason Rudolph is #2.
Ok they must have switched numbers once Rudolph showed up. Morgan was #2 on the original minicamp roster.

I know there are a few here that have been overly harsh towards Morgan and his pro prospects.

What they fail to account for are the intangibles that Morgan brings in terms of maturity and leadership. He was basically a coach on and off the field for the Gophers and he carries himself really well.

He won't be a problem off the field, he will work his butt off, and he has a coaches mentality about him that will almost certainly lead to a career in coaching whenever his playing days end. As long as he proves to have enough ability to justify being a #3 guy those other traits make him a dream player for a coaching staff in a backup/emergency QB roll.

Remains to be seen if he can make the final roster and will be interesting to see if he can find a way to stay in the league for multiple years...but I wouldn't bet against him pulling it off.

The biggest thing Morgan has going for him is that he wasn't drafted. That allowed him to choose a team (Steelers) who have a wide open QB #3 opportunity. It sounds like he's positioned himself to potentially make the active roster. As a guy who's on record as saying he's too short, too immobile & has too weak of an arm to play in the NFL, I hope he makes me eat my words.

You keep saying things but can’t articulate your POV. Fine, I’m never going to get it out of you.

Morgan has an uphill battle to make a roster or PS in todays NFL due to a lack of wheels more than anything else, IMO.

Lack of mobility is certainly near the top of the list, but I'd put lack of arm strength & height in the same tier of Tanner's deficiencies at the NFL level.

When you're a short QB, mobility absolutely matters so they can roll you out of the pocket. He does have pretty decent accuracy & touch, but must in order to make up for having a weak arm.

The guy just wasn't blessed with the tools the NFL covets, but may overcome that by finding the right situation, and having a lot of game experience.

Last edited:

I don’t know, I’ve seen some pretty plain quarterbacking in the NFL. Wide open, elite-handed WRs make anyone look pretty great.

"Yeah, it was just a shell read there," Cousins said. "I saw single-high (coverage) and tried to work Justin (Jefferson) and didn't feel good about putting it up to Justin. And when I went to progress, I just felt like I was about to get sacked. I felt I had to put the ball in play. I couldn't go down with a sack.

"So I just kicked it out to T.J., and I had thrown short of the sticks on a few occasions in the game and going back a few weeks. I just felt like throwing short of the sticks isn't the end of the world, and it was obviously tight coverage. But I felt like I was going to go down and take a sack and put it out."

Cousins has been accused of being overly conservative and too in love with check downs at times.

A nice break down on what Tanner may be dealing with as far as reps at training camp.

Sucks to be the 4th guy for sure

Dating back to Weber the gophs have a series of qbs who played in the nfl. Let’s keep it going

I get what you are saying, just not sure Purdy really is comparable to Morgan. His stats in college are quite a bit better than Morgan's, and he is definitely more mobile. Why he didn't go earlier in the draft is up for debate...most predictions were for a middle round.
Comparing Tanner Morgan's stats to Purdy or Pickett is silly. Both played in offenses that believed in, well, offense.

Tanner ran the slowest offense in the B1G and had Mo for most of his career. I'm not sure what happened to Tanner after 2019's big season. It seems it was a combination of coaching, team's solving our passing "offensive" scheme, injuries, and rotating offensive coordinators, but he was a different QB from 20-22.

Comparing Tanner Morgan's stats to Purdy or Pickett is silly. Both played in offenses that believed in, well, offense.

Tanner ran the slowest offense in the B1G and had Mo for most of his career. I'm not sure what happened to Tanner after 2019's big season. It seems it was a combination of coaching, team's solving our passing "offensive" scheme, injuries, and rotating offensive coordinators, but he was a different QB from 20-22.
I said before that for Morgan, 2019 looks more like the anomaly.

Top Bottom