Surprise! U of M botches Thursday night opening game logistics

Jesus people. It's one frackin' game. One. I know it sucks, and certainly would be nice if some things were different. Maybe they tried to go those routes and just logistically couldn't. Or maybe they looked at how little we as a fan base tailgate and made the tough decision to make it shorter/smaller for ONE game.

Either way, no one at the U pissed in your Cheerios. Get over it.

I tried tailgating once. Very boring, very very boring. My gameday experience is from the kickoff until the final seconds wind down.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This actually makes me sad to read this. This is how Gopher fans are missing the game day experience. It's all about meeting so many great people, Gopher fans (and let's be honest, there aren't many die hards), playing games, etc. Honestly...the tailgating is what has kept many of us around when we know that we're going to be going 1-11 for the season. You still look forward to it every Saturday...and even all summer long.

The comments after this blog are why MN will never be a great football school. Too many folks have never been to a 'real' college football tailgate/game. Maybe if there is real tailgating at the new Vikings stadium that will change slowly over time.

This is a great way to phrase it. I was actually really surprised by the comments...I feel like most people did not get the blog at all. It's not about drinking, it's about camaraderie, bonding, the game day experience that is SO important in football, especially for a team that hasn't been good in so long.

I have had the opportunity to tailgate with friends at some of the best places on earth. The atmosphere, the anticipation, catching up with old friends, the exchange of ideas, the new people you meet, trying new food, telling old war stories, rehashing the season those are some of the highlights. I survived a LSU tailgate that did not start 6 hours before game time, we started on Thursday afternoon for a Saturday Night Game. When its football season in the bayou, everybody gets it.

Jesus people. It's one frackin' game. One. I know it sucks, and certainly would be nice if some things were different. Maybe they tried to go those routes and just logistically couldn't. Or maybe they looked at how little we as a fan base tailgate and made the tough decision to make it shorter/smaller for ONE game.

Agree^^

I have 4 seats in section 24X and 2 parking spots in SKI-U-MAH, and I've exchanged tweets with Norwood Teague about this topic.

What let me down about how this was handled wasn't the end result per se. I get that the state fair is a parking monster and also that the University has to do its normal business on a Thursday. Both of those things are very big deals. However, both of them also should have been able to have been foreseen by the 'U' and Mr. Teague back when they came up with this Thursday night plan in the Spring (remember, he wants to open this way as long as he is AD). You could argue that we, the customers, should have anticipated issues for the same reason, but it is a poor business that forces its customers to anticipate problems rather than being out in front of them itself.

What should have happened? The best option that could have prevented all of this would have been for Mr. Teague, back in the Spring, to say something like "now we know with it being a workday and with the State Fair going on we are going to have to do some serious horse trading to get the parking situation worked out so that our tailgating fans can have the experience they deserve - we may not get it exactly like it would be on a Saturday but we're going to do our best" -- If they had done this, and then came out with a 2PM time now, everyone would have been happy! "OK, we got as many hours as we would for an 11AM start, and that's with all those other conflicts... good job!" -- but this wasn't done, of course.

The next best thing would have been for a more "honest" presentation of the actual time change, since it was done without advance notice. It would have been easy! "We apologize for the inconvenience to our fans, we hadn't anticipated how challenging, we especially apologize to St. Paul lot fans..." -- again, Gopher Nation is largely forgiving! We would have said --oh, well they worked hard, and they acknowledge they could have done better - fair enough". -- but this wasn't done either of course.

Instead, the 'U' just casually made the announcement without any hint of 'sorry for inconvenience' and then took the Orwellian step of actually bragging about the 3pm to 2pm change ("1 more hour to party!") -- it felt dishonest. Mr. Teague's tweets that lots "always" open 4 hours before game had the same tone. He has heard us, but his position was one of "if you're not happy, we'll give you your money back" and not in any way acknowledging that they could have done better. He has also tweeted to me that 4 hours is likely the most we will ever get in future years.

In summary:
1. For me, 4 hours is a lot better than 3... there's some kind of tailgating 'tipping point' in that duration when you consider set-up and tear-down that makes it worthwhile versus rushed. I' satisfied with the actual outcome given all that's going on and I get why 6 hours couldn't happen
2. I'm disappointed that the 'U' not only could have handled the presentation much better but that Mr. Teague refuses to acknowledge that they could have done better, instead taking he position of "this is how it is - if you don't like it we'll reimburse you". Maybe with more complaints from other fans this will change.
3. If you do want reimbursement, you should tweet @GoldenGopherAD and he is willing to do it
4. Mr. Teague has said 4 hours is likely as much of a high water mark as we'll get. I did not ask him if he thinks the St. Paul lot fans can get a better deal.
5. If you lost your party from the St. Paul lot, come and see us at the front of SKI-U-MAH and you can party with us. We're middle aged, but our lot always has the Southwest Corner for the 20-somethings as well and they welcome everyone... Not to mention the ex players over on the East end.

That's as much as I know! Go Gophers!

MAYBE, they should have got in front of it first and given reasons for it instead of trying to quietly slip it into the media guide with out any explanation whatsoever. I think that is why most people are pretty upset about it. If you are up front and give legitimate reasons for why it isn't happening and what was actually tried to rectify the situation, most people are pretty understanding. Just a thought.

I have 4 seats in section 24X and 2 parking spots in SKI-U-MAH, and I've exchanged tweets with Norwood Teague about this topic.

What let me down about how this was handled wasn't the end result per se. I get that the state fair is a parking monster and also that the University has to do its normal business on a Thursday. Both of those things are very big deals. However, both of them also should have been able to have been foreseen by the 'U' and Mr. Teague back when they came up with this Thursday night plan in the Spring (remember, he wants to open this way as long as he is AD). You could argue that we, the customers, should have anticipated issues for the same reason, but it is a poor business that forces its customers to anticipate problems rather than being out in front of them itself.

What should have happened? The best option that could have prevented all of this would have been for Mr. Teague, back in the Spring, to say something like "now we know with it being a workday and with the State Fair going on we are going to have to do some serious horse trading to get the parking situation worked out so that our tailgating fans can have the experience they deserve - we may not get it exactly like it would be on a Saturday but we're going to do our best" -- If they had done this, and then came out with a 2PM time now, everyone would have been happy! "OK, we got as many hours as we would for an 11AM start, and that's with all those other conflicts... good job!" -- but this wasn't done, of course.

The next best thing would have been for a more "honest" presentation of the actual time change, since it was done without advance notice. It would have been easy! "We apologize for the inconvenience to our fans, we hadn't anticipated how challenging, we especially apologize to St. Paul lot fans..." -- again, Gopher Nation is largely forgiving! We would have said --oh, well they worked hard, and they acknowledge they could have done better - fair enough". -- but this wasn't done either of course.

Instead, the 'U' just casually made the announcement without any hint of 'sorry for inconvenience' and then took the Orwellian step of actually bragging about the 3pm to 2pm change ("1 more hour to party!") -- it felt dishonest. Mr. Teague's tweets that lots "always" open 4 hours before game had the same tone. He has heard us, but his position was one of "if you're not happy, we'll give you your money back" and not in any way acknowledging that they could have done better. He has also tweeted to me that 4 hours is likely the most we will ever get in future years.

In summary:
1. For me, 4 hours is a lot better than 3... there's some kind of tailgating 'tipping point' in that duration when you consider set-up and tear-down that makes it worthwhile versus rushed. I' satisfied with the actual outcome given all that's going on and I get why 6 hours couldn't happen
2. I'm disappointed that the 'U' not only could have handled the presentation much better but that Mr. Teague refuses to acknowledge that they could have done better, instead taking he position of "this is how it is - if you don't like it we'll reimburse you". Maybe with more complaints from other fans this will change.
3. If you do want reimbursement, you should tweet @GoldenGopherAD and he is willing to do it
4. Mr. Teague has said 4 hours is likely as much of a high water mark as we'll get. I did not ask him if he thinks the St. Paul lot fans can get a better deal.
5. If you lost your party from the St. Paul lot, come and see us at the front of SKI-U-MAH and you can party with us. We're middle aged, but our lot always has the Southwest Corner for the 20-somethings as well and they welcome everyone... Not to mention the ex players over on the East end.

That's as much as I know! Go Gophers!

+1. Nailed it.

This actually makes me sad to read this. This is how Gopher fans are missing the game day experience. It's all about meeting so many great people, Gopher fans (and let's be honest, there aren't many die hards), playing games, etc. Honestly...the tailgating is what has kept many of us around when we know that we're going to be going 1-11 for the season. You still look forward to it every Saturday...and even all summer long.

He was just doing it wrong.

If the people in this fanbase could open up their wallets as well and as often as they piss and moan about every single thing, we wouldn't need for facilities, personnel, etc., etc. to make up the competitive gap.

If the people in this fanbase could open up their wallets as well and as often as they piss and moan about every single thing, we wouldn't need for facilities, personnel, etc., etc. to make up the competitive gap.

No kidding.

I'm confused by the last two posts. I guess the point is that we should "grin and bear it" no matter what? Or perhaps only that significant donors should get to have a voice? Go ahead and check my post again and derive just my mandatory donation level on the second point. On the first point, all I can say is "no". 'U' screwed up the communication - they need to be better, it's our job to let them know if we want them to improve.

I'm confused by the last two posts. I guess the point is that we should "grin and bear it" no matter what? Or perhaps only that significant donors should get to have a voice? Go ahead and check my post again and derive just my mandatory donation level on the second point. On the first point, all I can say is "no". 'U' screwed up the communication - they need to be better, it's our job to let them know if we want them to improve.

Had nothing to do with "grin and bear it", "significant donors" or your original post which was pretty well written and thought out.

Now how you could be confused by the posts if you read all the OTHER posts in the thread and read some of the other threads on the page. Guessing you didn't before you took this shot.

After taking the time to think it through, I agree with potato. About the only thing that could have been better is a better deal for the St. Paul lot people. They are never going to send people home early from the U for football - nor should they - it would be in conflict with the values of the U and the state to do that.

So in summary, next time a better deal for the U's St. Paul parkers, clear proactive communication for everyone else, and transparency before season ticket renewal.

Not impressed with NT so far.

Hopefully, the "U" gets this figured out before the expansion to 80K.

There isn't room for real tailgating. Picnic in the grass is not what people think of when someone says "tailgating"

Nor are the four lawn chairs and a mini grill set up behind a minivan that I saw all over TCF. The picnics in the grass have HD televisions, sound systems, kegs, and buffets.

After taking the time to think it through, I agree with potato. About the only thing that could have been better is a better deal for the St. Paul lot people. They are never going to send people home early from the U for football - nor should they - it would be in conflict with the values of the U and the state to do that.

So in summary, next time a better deal for the U's St. Paul parkers, clear proactive communication for everyone else, and transparency before season ticket renewal.

Not impressed with NT so far.

Only a deluded football fan would believe that the U would do something this dumb. I love the Gophers but I understand that the rest of the university shouldn't and won't play second fiddle to the wants of fans.:banghead:

Its a two way street though. I feel like the fanbases at a lot of the power school don't have to deal with reduced tailgating hours for any of their games this year (if anyone can point me to a game where Michigan, OSU, Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc. is going to have a shortened tailgate, then I am wrong on this point). Maybe if we didn't get this kind of second rate treatment, the donors would be more forthcoming with their wallets. I agree that this is not the end of the world, I am not going to cancel my season tickets or anything like that. However, it is annoying when we get charged as much as we are for a tailgating spot expecting 6 hours per game, and then we are told that the hours have been reduced for a game.

I am also with the camp that says it would have been nice if the fanbase would have gotten the respect of a proactive public announcement and apology, rather than watching the department say "oh crap, they noticed."

I don't think the sky is falling here. Teague has done an amazing job with PR so far and getting donors. I would say that this will get cleared up before game day.

Like I said on the other marketing plan thread, I said, "The U is screwed either way. If they have no marketing plan, people will complain. If they do have a marketing plan, it will be snafu and people will complain. Such is life in the fast lane. "

That kind of says the same thing as dpodoll said.

I don't think the sky is falling here. Teague has done an amazing job with PR so far and getting donors. I would say that this will get cleared up before game day.

he has? where on earth have you seen any stories about the amazing job he's done with donors? he said he had a few head nods about his $190 million facilities plan. that's after 13 months on the job. i realize it takes time and i'm not criticizing him for it, but to say he's done an amazing job with donors is downright silly. the only donor work i've seen him talk about is securing $50K worth of private jet trips for pitino. $50K is hardly amazing in the big ten.

he has? where on earth have you seen any stories about the amazing job he's done with donors? he said he had a few head nods about his $190 million facilities plan. that's after 13 months on the job. i realize it takes time and i'm not criticizing him for it, but to say he's done an amazing job with donors is downright silly. the only donor work i've seen him talk about is securing $50K worth of private jet trips for pitino. $50K is hardly amazing in the big ten.

the key word "but" says you are criticizing him. BUT is the key word for saying the opposite of what you are saying.

Nor are the four lawn chairs and a mini grill set up behind a minivan that I saw all over TCF. The picnics in the grass have HD televisions, sound systems, kegs, and buffets.

To be fair, everyone cannot have a giant truck and trailer with a 7' wide smoker and full spread of food. Even the best tailgating atmospheres in the country still have plenty of people parking and whipping out some hot dogs, beers, bag toss, and a football. That's all I can afford, and it's quite a good time if you ask me - getting 4 of my best friends together for some booze and games a few times a year while meeting other people who are doing the same. And that's fine.

To be fair, everyone cannot have a giant truck and trailer with a 7' wide smoker and full spread of food. Even the best tailgating atmospheres in the country still have plenty of people parking and whipping out some hot dogs, beers, bag toss, and a football. That's all I can afford, and it's quite a good time if you ask me - getting 4 of my best friends together for some booze and games a few times a year while meeting other people who are doing the same. And that's fine.

My point was that the 'picnic' is not a dinky setup like was insinuated. However people choose to enjoy the hours before a football game is valid in my eyes.

My point was that the 'picnic' is not a dinky setup like was insinuated. However people choose to enjoy the hours before a football game is valid in my eyes.

If I lived close to TCF, had a green yard with a couple of picnic tables, and a keg??? Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# man we would have a tailgate.

Prior to Gopher games, I always text a pic of my game ready atmosphere to AuEGO4 in California.

Why is it that we cannot do better. I disagree that nothing else could be done.
There's a general lack of creativity that always seems to hurt the hardcore and younger fan.
Communication is one thing, the bare minimum they could have done is get it in front of this and not have it be a surprise. That's the pure least that could have been done, a better admin would have found a creative way to appease all parties, or even better, make a stand for a hurting program that needs every goddamn bit of fan support. IMO the lots should open 4 am regardless of kickoff, and that's only if they don't open midnight the day before. We're one of the few in the country to serve beer in the stadium so ANY moral justifications for less boozing goes out he window right there, I'm pissed, and will be making life hell for whoever until I get a logical explanation for all this from someone in power. It makes no sense to me, unless someone bent the ad over and told him to mind his place and continue the bs way the football program has been screwed over for the past few decades.

Its a two way street though. I feel like the fanbases at a lot of the power school don't have to deal with reduced tailgating hours for any of their games this year (if anyone can point me to a game where Michigan, OSU, Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc. is going to have a shortened tailgate, then I am wrong on this point). Maybe if we didn't get this kind of second rate treatment, the donors would be more forthcoming with their wallets. I agree that this is not the end of the world, I am not going to cancel my season tickets or anything like that. However, it is annoying when we get charged as much as we are for a tailgating spot expecting 6 hours per game, and then we are told that the hours have been reduced for a game.

I am also with the camp that says it would have been nice if the fanbase would have gotten the respect of a proactive public announcement and apology, rather than watching the department say "oh crap, they noticed."

This, all of this. +1. Nicely said!

I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons with this whole thing. Instead of tailgating at our lot starting at noon, we will most likely be pre-partying at Target Field while watching the Twins. After that, it's off to our normal West Bank lot for an abbreviated session of cocktails and munchies before the football game. Sounds like a good way to celebrate the transition from Summer to Fall to me.

Just because the U of M seems to lack in creative thinking around the game day atmosphere doesn't mean that the fans need to as well.

I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons with this whole thing. Instead of tailgating at our lot starting at noon, we will most likely be pre-partying at Target Field while watching the Twins. After that, it's off to our normal West Bank lot for an abbreviated session of cocktails and munchies before the football game. Sounds like a good way to celebrate the transition from Summer to Fall to me.

Just because the U of M seems to lack in creative thinking around the game day atmosphere doesn't mean that the fans need to as well.

In that vein, instead of the fair, the U should have approached the Twins for a baseball-football doubleheader special.

I would think they would come out with a Marketing plan in a multi level approach. All centered around Gopher Football. Want to tailgate? We got you covered. Want a couple drinks an early meal Surrounded by fans and High Def Screens, click here. Want to entertain a group before the game in a Hospitality Tent, we've got that too. Want to just get to the game and back to your ride? Tell us where you want to park. Want to get a group together in outstate Minnesota? How about a party bus to and from the game? Flying in from out of state, why rent a car. We have arrangements to pick you up, drop you at the hotel and at the game. And as the light rail is up and running in 2014. Negotiate a bulk deal and rate with MTS and get a link on the website that allows you to click and buy the ticket and any transfers for the game or season. Want to come in from Big Lake, Saint Paul, or the Mall of America? Maybe some Advertising from July through November at the Mall of America and other stops. The Marketing should be all about getting there. Getting fannies in the seats. Eliminating any reservations. Sure these services cost money. And it takes someone to administer it. It takes partnering with the approved vendors to make it a win win for them.

Top Bottom