Superbowl thread with focus on former Gophers Johnson, Winfield Jr, and Wilson

Funny how Mahomes looked more like Cousins when he had a bad offensive line.
I'm not saying Cousins would be as good as Mahomes if he had the KC offensive line, but he certainly would look a lot better.
Hopefully the Vikings finally address it.
Difference is that Mahomes and Brady took pay cuts so that they would have a better supporting cast. Cousins took the Vikings and the Salary Cap to the limit not allowing the team to sign a supporting cast.

To summarize for those that don't want to listen to Skip or Shannon: Both of them didn't have any issue with what Winfield did.....

At least we hope he would be set for life on that. Too many tragic stories of Athletes ending up broke after they get done playing.

Well of course. My uncle was an NFL coach for 25+ years. He has stories that could fill a swimming pool about guys not understanding the money side of things. spending every dollar without realizing you don't play forever. Its really sad.

On $18 mil, after all taxes, agent, etc. he should take home $9 mil. Plenty to live off of for almost anyone in this country. Hopefully he has been smart with it.

Difference is that Mahomes and Brady took pay cuts so that they would have a better supporting cast. Cousins took the Vikings and the Salary Cap to the limit not allowing the team to sign a supporting cast.
Mahomes took a pay cut? Brady has reworked deals to free up money in the past, but not last year or this year with TB.

Love of Gophers>stronger than hate of Brady.

Even my dad, who didn't have a real interest in the game, is happy for both TJ and Winfield.

Brady is forgiven for his cocky greatness. He got SuperBowl rings for our two favorite Gophers!

Row The Boat!

Actually there were no Badgers in the game yesterday but there were a few from Iowa.

Thanks for the update, I was too busy lazy to look it up as I was running around my house helping AW JR double HIll.

Actually I do very little around the house as it takes a lot of energy being me in public/work.

We tied - Woo Hoo - for the most former B10 players on the championship Bucs. For those keeping track, here is the count (based on the yahoo sports roster) -

2 Elite Golden Gophers
2 = NE, PSU, IA (ugh)
1 = MSU, MI
0 = Fadgers

10 Total from the B10 - I think that was the most of any conference, after my quick once overall count.

Sidebar -

1 NDSU - OL from lovely Lake Shore, MN - Joe Haeg

To summarize for those that don't want to listen to Skip or Shannon: Both of them didn't have any issue with what Winfield did.....

Thanks for the brief summation - not a fan of either and together - turn on the electric stove.

Mahomes took a pay cut? Brady has reworked deals to free up money in the past, but not last year or this year with TB.
Said that wrong. He made it clear to his agent and the team, while he wanted a fair deal, he didn't want to handicap the team when signing his contract. Therefore he left money on the table.

Antoine Winfield Jr had a great game for sure.
Felt bad for Tyler that he didn't make that catch. It was thrown perfectly and he had room to run. I don't think he was targeted again after that.
Johnson was the 5th WR in yesterday's game an mostly in to block because he's good at it. Tampa is going to be letting 1-2 of their guys go, so he should see more action next year.

Said that wrong. He made it clear to his agent and the team, while he wanted a fair deal, he didn't want to handicap the team when signing his contract. Therefore he left money on the table.
Mahomes is the highest paid QB by 6 million. He did his team no favors.

Not sure he did that either. KC is pretty upside-down in cap space right now for 2021. Worse than the Purple.

Johnson was the 5th WR in yesterday's game an mostly in to block because he's good at it. Tampa is going to be letting 1-2 of their guys go, so he should see more action next year.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens with TB's WR corps next season. Evans will be there for sure but Godwin and Brown are question marks. Wouldn't shock me to see Brown come back on another one year deal but Godwin is probably gone.

So TJ's role should expand next year. Plus Brady does seem to trust him in general as he has looked his way in some key situations.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what happens with TB's WR corps next season. Evans will be there for sure but Godwin and Brown are question marks. Wouldn't shock me to see Brown come back on another one year deal but Godwin is probably gone.

So TJ's role should expand next year. Plus Brady does seem to trust him in general as he has looked his way in some key situations.
Yeah TJ's future should get a bit brighter next year. This was a good year to learn the system and get some decent action.

Mahomes is the highest paid QB by 6 million. He did his team no favors.

I think KC could be done, solely due to that 45 mil contract for Mahomes.

Maybe Cousins ought to think about restructuring his contract so that they can afford the pieces to make the Vikings competitive.

Thanks for the update, I was too busy lazy to look it up as I was running around my house helping AW JR double HIll.

Actually I do very little around the house as it takes a lot of energy being me in public/work.

We tied - Woo Hoo - for the most former B10 players on the championship Bucs. For those keeping track, here is the count (based on the yahoo sports roster) -

2 Elite Golden Gophers
2 = NE, PSU, IA (ugh)
1 = MSU, MI
0 = Fadgers

10 Total from the B10 - I think that was the most of any conference, after my quick once overall count.

Sidebar -

While no Badgers in the game --- Jack Cichy does get a Super Bowl ring.

The fact Brady trusts him makes me question Brady's character, it honestly puts his HOF career in a new light.

2 Elite Golden Gophers
2 = NE, PSU, IA (ugh)
1 = MSU, MI
0 = Fadgers

Sidebar -

At least state penn's streak of being in every super bowl except 5 is intact.

2 Elite Golden Gophers
2 = NE, PSU, IA (ugh)
1 = MSU, MI
0 = Fadgers

Sidebar -

Nebraska 3 Suh, Davis, David

Nebraska 3 Suh, Davis, David

Thanks for the correction - I missed Davis when i was doing my review.

Fleck can lay claim to the fact that he coached those 2, whereas Frosty didn't coach Suh (11 year vet) or David (9 year vet). Davis is a rookie - per the Yahoo roster.

Not sure he did that either. KC is pretty upside-down in cap space right now for 2021. Worse than the Purple.
My sources that I read were clearly off base. This was a while ago. I screwed up.

2 Elite Golden Gophers
2 = NE, PSU, IA (ugh)
1 = MSU, MI
0 = Fadgers

Sidebar -

Jack Cichy is a former Badger who'll get a ring. He only played 2 games this year, but he was on IR so unfortunately no Super Bowl shutout for Bucky.

Top Bottom