Superbowl thread with focus on former Gophers Johnson, Winfield Jr, and Wilson

Two sons of Reid were addicts, Garret and Brett.
Both went to jail for a year or two.
Garett was the one who pulled a gun. He died of an OD.
Brett is a LB coach and who crashed into parked cars and severely injured two children and was said to be drunk.
There are no reports of his blood alcohol levels and other drugs.
I presume Brett got the job so his parents could keep track of him.
It is a very sad story.
It’s Britt not Brett.

There are no reports of his blood level because due to his previous alcohol contacts it’s a state level investigation. They did a blood draw and have to await the results

If you google “Britt Reid gun” you will find his gun incident.

So happy for Winfield and Johnson. Wasn’t a fan of the taunting at the time, but now that there is some additional context I love it. And Winfield raised his profile a ton with the pick and the taunt.

His ski goggles are sideways because he has eyes on all sides of his head.
It's a genetic proven fact. According to Cliff Clavin.

Personally i think tyrone was a better college player. Looks like Antoine will be the better pro.
I’m not sure.
Carter certainly had Winfield at quantity of tackles...but any other category Winfield is the better player IMO.

what if Winfield played one more season?
What if he played 2 more?
What if he played 3 more because 2020 didn’t count as one.

Winfield playing 3 more seasons for the gophers and he probably ends up as the greatest gopher player of all time. He still had half his eligibility remaining when he left.

TC was a tackling machine and that's about it. AWj is a comparable tackler and is a much better pass defender regardless of level of play.

TC was a tackling machine and that's about it. AWj is a comparable tackler and is a much better pass defender regardless of level of play.

Yeah, I don't think you can really compare AWj and TC as college players. TC was a Linebacker in the body of a DB. He was never a great cover guy but when he came up to make the tackle he almost never failed to get it done. AWj is a true safety, the kind of guy defenses love because he will be in the right position most of the time to make the play and provide an insurance policy for the other 10 guys.

After the season he had and the performance in the Super Bowl, AWj is well on his way to becoming a superstar in this league.

Antoine Winfield Jr had a great game for sure.
Felt bad for Tyler that he didn't make that catch. It was thrown perfectly and he had room to run. I don't think he was targeted again after that.

I’m not sure.
Carter certainly had Winfield at quantity of tackles...but any other category Winfield is the better player IMO.

what if Winfield played one more season?
What if he played 2 more?
What if he played 3 more because 2020 didn’t count as one.

Winfield playing 3 more seasons for the gophers and he probably ends up as the greatest gopher player of all time. He still had half his eligibility remaining when he left.

Good points.

It's already all been said, but: game was pretty dang boring, because KC couldn't protect worth a crap. I know their OL was hurting. And Bucs get credit for being war daddies. All of that.

However, Bucs had a first rounder rookie (from Iowa no less) starting at RT.

Hope Zim and Spiel took notice.

Here is a crazy stat.

Patrick Mahomes ran nearly 500 yards before throwing or getting sacked

It's already all been said, but: game was pretty dang boring, because KC couldn't protect worth a crap. I know their OL was hurting. And Bucs get credit for being war daddies. All of that.

However, Bucs had a first rounder rookie (from Iowa no less) starting at RT.

Hope Zim and Spiel took notice.
Funny how Mahomes looked more like Cousins when he had a bad offensive line.
I'm not saying Cousins would be as good as Mahomes if he had the KC offensive line, but he certainly would look a lot better.
Hopefully the Vikings finally address it.

Fun fact/statistical anomaly: We all know that there were three Gophers in the Superbowl Game. I've read several different articles purporting to tabulate colleges represented in the Superbowl. All the articles come out with different numbers for the top schools--e.g., Michigan varies from 4 to 7--which might reflect the difference between the teams' larger, full-year rosters + IR + practice squad, and the actual "suited up" rosters for the Superbowl. In any event, all the articles agree on one thing: No one on either roster from Ohio State. And a total of 30 + from FCS schools. Lots of paths to the NFL.

Wilson has had a really nice start to his career. Solid player on a great team. Has a ring. Appears to be a UFA so curious to see where he goes. Has made just under $10 mil (not counting playoff bonuses, which would be about $350k or so just in the last 2 seasons)

No idea on the market for him but could see a nice 3-4 year, $15-20 mil deal

Fun fact/statistical anomaly: We all know that there were three Gophers in the Superbowl Game. I've read several different articles purporting to tabulate colleges represented in the Superbowl. All the articles come out with different numbers for the top schools--e.g., Michigan varies from 4 to 7--which might reflect the difference between the teams' larger, full-year rosters + IR + practice squad, and the actual "suited up" rosters for the Superbowl. In any event, all the articles agree on one thing: No one on either roster from Ohio State. And a total of 30 + from FCS schools. Lots of paths to the NFL.

I posted the breakdown on guys from schools on actual rosters in a different thread. The Big Ten was well represented on both teams. And above and beyond there being no Ohio State players in the super bowl there also weren't any Alabama players.

Yep. Which is why playing time can be such a recruiting tool.

Wilson has had a really nice start to his career. Solid player on a great team. Has a ring. Appears to be a UFA so curious to see where he goes. Has made just under $10 mil (not counting playoff bonuses, which would be about $350k or so just in the last 2 seasons)

No idea on the market for him but could see a nice 3-4 year, $15-20 mil deal
I really like Damien and he's a pretty solid against the run, but i noticed he was usually replaced on passing downs this year. I wonder if he will have a harder time getting a long term deal?

When is the last time a player from WI or IA was a Super Bowl Champ?

I'll hang up and listen, thanks -

Phil Fleck, Edina.

On second thought, I guess bowl games do matter...aka Outback Bowl 1/1/20.

I really like Damien and he's a pretty solid against the run, but i noticed he was usually replaced on passing downs this year. I wonder if he will have a harder time getting a long term deal?

Thats fair. Even if he gets another 2 year, $8 mil deal he should be set for life basically. Not yet 28 so still have a handful of years potentially.

Thats fair. Even if he gets another 2 year, $8 mil deal he should be set for life basically. Not yet 28 so still have a handful of years potentially.

At least we hope he would be set for life on that. Too many tragic stories of Athletes ending up broke after they get done playing.

Top Bottom