Student Section's Back Must Hurt

Corporate is good for fan support. Corporations give the tickets to employees. Employees that go are younger or give the tickets to their kids. The crowd stands when the team takes an 8 point 2nd half lead against the number 8 ranked team in the nation in a critical game.

What a concept.

Be carefull what you wish for

I for one am happy they are reseating. I hope the Big Donors are under 50 and have a pulse.
I also hope they can stay awake past 6 PM. That crowd was embarrassing.

I was at the game tonight. I watched Illinois @ Penn state on TV the other night. And I felt more energy from the Penn State crowd of 27 through the TV.
Our section - we affectionately call the Cheapsuites - was enthused tonight as always.
The people you will lose will not be the longtime stalwart's of the lower level, but the more recent tickets holders who will be squeezed out by big money - $ is a major point maker. If TCF isn't hopping, don't expect this move to improve things at the barn.
BTW - why doesn't the student section fill?

The student section doesn't fill because the students are still on break.

Few, if any, people who are current season ticket holders will be forced out of their seats. The Gopher hoops team doesn't sell out with season ticket holders. There will be a large amount of people will move around though. It may be good if all the most recent ticket holders are grouped together in the outskirts of the arena.

The student section doesn't fill because the students are still on break.

Few, if any, people who are current season ticket holders will be forced out of their seats. The Gopher hoops team doesn't sell out with season ticket holders. There will be a large amount of people will move around though. It may be good if all the most recent ticket holders are grouped together in the outskirts of the arena.
How is this good? And define recent - I call recent the last 10-12 years. When we bought our tickets in '99, we were in the second to the last row.
Face it, you don't have clue what is happening on the outskirts of the arena, nor so you have a clue how the reseating will shake down. But trust me - those people you want out of the low seats will still be there...oh, and by the way - dream on about who the corporate tickets go to - they go to clients. And most corporate seats are simply vacant when not used. We know because we pirated them for years.

I bring this issue up pretty much every time the Gophers play a big game on national TV.

The majority of people who reply agree that the crowd is embarrassing.

The minority say it doesn't matter whether or not the crowd is embarrassing, because those people who can't get out of their seats either A) "pay Tubby's salary", or B) "have earned the right to sit because they've sat through so many years of mediocre basketball" ....

Essentially, the majority is yelling at the minority, and the minority continually says that they don't give a damn.

How is this good? And define recent - I call recent the last 10-12 years. When we bought our tickets in '99, we were in the second to the last row.
Face it, you don't have clue what is happening on the outskirts of the arena, nor so you have a clue how the reseating will shake down. But trust me - those people you want out of the low seats will still be there...oh, and by the way - dream on about who the corporate tickets go to - they go to clients. And most corporate seats are simply vacant when not used. We know because we pirated them for years.
It is good because they are still in the arena. It is good because the big donors bring money to the athletic dept. It is good because it gets the old grumps out of good seats.

It is good because they are still in the arena. It is good because the big donors bring money to the athletic dept. It is good because it gets the old grumps out of good seats.

Dude. The old grumps, those you complain most about, those in the lower level between the baselines, are already being extorted and, to my knowledge, that won't change ($$ amount will not change). Thus, they won't go nowhere (man). They are just expanding the extortion.

We beat Purdue tonight in a damned exciting game. It was a very important game for us. Er, I mean, for them. The team. (And us.)

There is no question some of the fans who do not cheer will be moved further back.

The old grumps will still be where they are.
Here is a list of other people beside the "old grumps" who I have also observed not showing significant enthusiasm during the game:
-the football team
-former players
-the comp tickets behind the gopher bench - some given away by coaching staff: these people don't have a clue of what is going on (this is the source of Mrs. Smith's frustration!)
-Joel Maturi: moves his arms some but does not apparently know the Rouser or how to spell Wisc...I mean, Minnesota

It's especially sad considering the basketball program is the best major sport we have right now and the U of M has sooo many students.

I don't think the old timer are ever going to get up and yell like most younger fans would like. I am still shocked that we can't fill the student section with actual students for a home game against a top ten ranked Big Ten opponent. I sit in the farthest north section of the student section and there hasn't been a full game yet including tonight. It was pretty full but I bet there were a few hundred seats open until at least halftime when it seems like people with worse seats fill in.

I can't figure out why this continues especially when the tickets are so cheap. When I went to school (starting in '02) the entire section was full of students and there was no gen admission. Things changed when we hit hard times with Humphries and Monson but that first year and at least the 5 years before it was packed with students.

It did look kinda not that exciting/emotional at the buzzer considering the significance of the game.

I love the arrogance from the snot-nosed punk who thinks he has the world by the tail.

I also remember when I was young and dumb and thought I knew everything, Andrew.

I love the arrogance from the snot-nosed punk who thinks he has the world by the tail.

I also remember when I was young and dumb and thought I knew everything, Andrew.

I just laugh because the student section during the Clem era would put this one to shame. We had better cheers too :D

It is a joke ow bad the rest of the crowd is regardless of age, it doesnt matter in the khol center how old you are. The only semi-legit non student section is 126 i believe. I thought i had one to many mixed drinks at the game when i saw the section to the right of the student section have to be begged by the players and students to stand up on the final possession.

It isnt even like in football where there are a few pockets of people who stand up and cheer.. no one does

Um, I thought it looked fine on tv. Not outstanding, but nowhere near the mausoleum it is being portrayed as.

I don't think the old timer are ever going to get up and yell like most younger fans would like. I am still shocked that we can't fill the student section with actual students for a home game against a top ten ranked Big Ten opponent. I sit in the farthest north section of the student section and there hasn't been a full game yet including tonight. It was pretty full but I bet there were a few hundred seats open until at least halftime when it seems like people with worse seats fill in.

I can't figure out why this continues especially when the tickets are so cheap. When I went to school (starting in '02) the entire section was full of students and there was no gen admission. Things changed when we hit hard times with Humphries and Monson but that first year and at least the 5 years before it was packed with students.

Uh, there hasnt yet been a big 10 game this year with everyone back from break. Iowa will probably be the first full one. all the dorm kids cant move back yet.

I bring this issue up pretty much every time the Gophers play a big game on national TV.

The majority of people who reply agree that the crowd is embarrassing.

The minority say it doesn't matter whether or not the crowd is embarrassing, because those people who can't get out of their seats either A) "pay Tubby's salary", or B) "have earned the right to sit because they've sat through so many years of mediocre basketball" ....

Essentially, the majority is yelling at the minority, and the minority continually says that they don't give a damn.

THIS.

You're in the minority here. Most are agreeing with me.

said it about tcf and now for the barn. I stand or sit as desired. Come on over and start your whining to my face or put a lid on it. Btw, is there any way you could get these stellar student fans to get there in time for the game to start?

Wow, who let Billy Badass into the chat room?

Settle down old fart. Lot of Tommy Tough guys piping in on this topic.

nicely played. But the invite still stands, unless you prefer entering the cone of silence.

I prefer not to confront my fellow fans but let me know what seat you're in and if you're not cheering I'd be glad to come over and kindly ask if you could cheer ;)

Settle down old fart. Lot of Tommy Tough guys piping in on this topic.

Yeah, I'm all of 30 years old. Time to break out the rocker and walker.

I still remember when I was a college student and thought I knew everything.

To be fair ... this was a game we should have won (and did). The basic point of this topic would be more relevant if our opponent had been Ohio State or even Wisconsin.

I prefer not to confront my fellow fans but let me know what seat you're in and if you're not cheering I'd be glad to come over and kindly ask if you could cheer ;)

seems to me you guys confront fellow fans all the time. Who do you think hangs around this board? And talk about folks who let things sail past without notice. Okay. A point about personal choice was being made. That is enough for me on this senseless issue.

Top Bottom