STrib: What if the Gophers played North Dakota State?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sinker:

So what happens if college football schedules get hastily altered because of travel restrictions and the uncertain nature of college sports during the pandemic?

A Fargo sports reporter has an idea: What if North Dakota State, the reigning Football Championship Subdivision defending champion and perennial powerhouse at that level, can’t play its scheduled game at Oregon on Sept 5? What if the Gophers can’t open their season as currently scheduled against Florida Atlantic that week?

What if the Gophers and North Dakota State got on the front end of the talk about regional rescheduling and turned words into action by playing each other that weekend?

That idea was broached by Fargo Forum sports reporter Jeff Kolpack, who acknowledged that he's riffing off an idea proposed by Star Tribune columnist Patrick Reusse from a couple of years back.

Kolpack wrote: “If the pandemic reaches the point where both teams have their schedules altered to conference games only, make it a true home-and-home. The fan aspect would be rendered very low if at all due to social distancing. So the U will not have to be concerned with the 18,750-seat Gate City Bank Field at the Fargodome vs. the 50,805-seat TCF Bank Stadium.”

Two teams, two games. What would you call the trophy?

Go Gophers!!

Nah. Next thread please.

If we're still at the point where certain games "can't be played" due to their location or travel or things, the season will be cancelled. Good try guys

The people in North Dakota can GFT. Something happened there over the decades to transform them from DFL prairie populists into reactionary misogynists.
Their governor had to plead with the citizens there not to shame people for doing the right thing and wearing masks.
It was Karma that the price of oil fell.

Why would we want to play North Dakota anything?

npa5yMn.gif

The people in North Dakota can GFT. Something happened there over the decades to transform them from DFL prairie populists into reactionary misogynists.
Their governor had to plead with the citizens there not to shame people for doing the right thing and wearing masks.
It was Karma that the price of oil fell.
Pretty much what one would expect from you at this point. Kudos for not disappointing

Minnesota 99- some fcs team who wins JV championships n somehow thinks they can handle a power 5 schedule and out recruit big universities with better everything- 0

Lets just coexist and have the coaching staffs share knowledge. It would be a win win for both sides. As for playing a game - Not interested shared practice maybe - after covid

Speaking strictly as a fan, I would love to see this game played.

Putting aside the question of who benefits from it - just as a fan, why wouldn't you want to watch to see how it comes out?

From a selfish standpoint, I covered NDSU's QB when he was in HS. Would love to see what he can do - or not do - against Rossi's defense.

Now, I certainly think the Gophers would win - but I do not think it would be a blowout.

Putting aside the question of who benefits from it - just as a fan, why wouldn't you want to watch to see how it comes out?

From a selfish standpoint, I covered NDSU's QB when he was in HS. Would love to see what he can do - or not do - against Rossi's defense.

Now, I certainly think the Gophers would win - but I do not think it would be a blowout.

Generally I'd like to see any football played at this point ...

But I think the larger thing is that the whole thing FSU did.

Everyone is happy about UCF doing well. Good for them.

Then they keep doing well and still, good for them.

They beat some folks, hey great story!

Then for some folks who have exposure to some NDSU teams they keep talking about how they beat someone .... ok great but I'm not interested in your.... no dude enough already!

For some folks exposed to some NDSU fans the experience is a bit like Sealioning : http://wondermark.com/1k62/

Lets just coexist and have the coaching staffs share knowledge. It would be a win win for both sides. As for playing a game - Not interested shared practice maybe - after covid
We dont need their knowledge if anything they need ours to know how to win 11 games in a fbs season playing big ten teams

Waste of time for fleck. Like I said the only team that gets anything out of this is ndsu

i) most obvious: there's nothing in it for Gophers, unless this is as an exhibition game that doesn't count for W-L record. Even then, arguably it's still a lose-lose for the Gophers. The only possible positive - a guaranteed sellout - really isn't that great anyway either, as NDSU fans would buy up excessive tickets, and that's with full fans anyway, which wouldn't happen.

ii) if it was going to benefit smaller schools, then we should schedule NDSU and SDSU both here, or UND or USD, or UNI. Not the same school twice.

iii) if you actually want to be realistic about a regional FBS (in fact, P5) non-conf matchup, then no need to look further than Iowa St. Also coached by a former successful MAC coach, that I'm sure Fleck feels good about.

Have lived in Fargo essentially since they started winning titles. Gameday Saturday afternoons are my favorite because I can get errands done and enjoy the gym while the rest of the town oogles and oggles over their beloved Bizon.

In all seriousness, I simultaneously think NDSU would struggle mightily playing a Big10 schedule (at least initially) but have no desire to see the Gophers potentially lose to them.

I firmly believe that had they played NDSU last year instead of SDSU, they would've lost. There's no bragging rights to be gained from beating an FCS team no matter how high of a level. You beat them, they claim you were supposed to beat them. You lose to them, they own you.

This is defeatist in nature and I'm sure PJ would scold me for having that mindset, but I'm a Minnesota sports fan, so it's heavy baggage.

If it happens my tickets are for sale (if we have a season). Not wasting my time to watch a scrimmage in the fall.

Lost 2 in a row, and all you can do is whine and gripe over a suggested opportunity to beat ndsu and reclaim some dignity? In a year that you’re ranked to top 10? I’ll never understand the mind of a gopher fan. You’d bitch of someone gave you a hundred bucks. It would be a hell of a game, that’s the bottom line, if FIU and OR games didn’t happen.

I had to endure an NDSU fan (maybe even a grad - not sure). But in about 2014-15, the constant comments about NDSU being a better football team based on the last 2 Gopher losses was too much to bear. This certain guy and his stupid buck toothed grin just aggravated me to no end. And he had the ugliest teeth on the planet. I like NDSU because it is close to where my family is, and it a local team with a lot of success, but this one guy just pisses me off. I wish them all the best, but he makes my blood boil still to this day.

No need to play each other. If you can't play the other schools for a reason then you can't play these games either. We also gain absolute nothing as to recruiting up there.

I would loooove to see a home and home vs NDSU. The more interesting, competitive games the better. We only get 12-13 a year. People would really rather play Florida Atlantic or some random MAC team?

Granted, this is a far-fetched hypothetical, but swapping out FAU for NDSU would be so much fun. Trey Lance is arguably a top 5-10 QB in all of college football.

I would loooove to see a home and home vs NDSU. The more interesting, competitive games the better. We only get 12-13 a year. People would really rather play Florida Atlantic or some random MAC team?

Granted, this is a far-fetched hypothetical, but swapping out FAU for NDSU would be so much fun. Trey Lance is arguably a top 5-10 QB in all of college football.
Ndsu playing a big ten schedule wins 1 game in conference maybe. Why take out a D1 fau to play some lower level ndsu. Makes no sense. Ndsu wins championships at the jv level. Doesnt mean they would be a team we NEED to play. Why would it be fun just out of curiosity? Fun for who? Ndsu fans?

Ndsu playing a big ten schedule wins 1 game in conference maybe. Why take out a D1 fau to play some lower level ndsu. Makes no sense. Ndsu wins championships at the jv level. Doesnt mean they would be a team we NEED to play. Why would it be fun just out of curiosity? Fun for who? Ndsu fans?

I think you may be underselling how good NDSU just a tad. I like good games again high level competition, and the regional element makes it that much better. Not to mention, that we owe them some payback.

I believe they've won 4 or 5 straight against power 5 competition. There's a reason P5 teams hardly schedule them anymore, which is why the Oregon game would be so intriguing.

Two teams, two games. What would you call the trophy?

The RAZR trophy. As in the popular cell phone of 2006, when Glen Mason received a last minute stay of execution via a blocked field goal to defeat the rising Bison 10-9. Fans at the game were calling it the end, but a miracle kick block saved the embarrassment. That stay lasted until the Insight Bowl collapse vs Texas Tech that December.

The RAZR trophy. As in the popular cell phone of 2006, when Glen Mason received a last minute stay of execution via a blocked field goal to defeat the rising Bison 10-9. Fans at the game were calling it the end, but a miracle kick block saved the embarrassment. That stay lasted until the Insight Bowl collapse vs Texas Tech that December.
As I recall, a Gopher went over to pick up the blocked kick and was then shoved down by a NDSU player, who then scooped up the ball and proceeded to run towards the end zone. But was tackled well short.

Top Bottom